Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After all this hype about SGU being for a younger audience...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
    It seems that a lot of this discussion, or debate, wraps around a confusion over the reason some people are upset. A lot of this thread seems to be about a younger cast. That would be fine, but TPTB said they wanted to attract a younger audience. That means that however old you are and however long you've been watching the franchise, they still want someone else. SGU is about attracting a different audience. A lot of fans are upset about this, with cause. There are fans that have been watching since the original movie, the first episode and from then on. They have been loyal fans throughout. And now, TPTB are chunking on them in favor of attracting someone else. They are dumping on loyal, faithful fans, they are dumping shows, in favor of a new, unestablished audience.
    It's understandable that there are fans who take that as an insult. TPTB are basically telling the longtime loyal fans they don't matter anymore, that TPTB don't care about them and don't want them anymore.
    And it doesn't matter if you are 80 years old or 18 years old, you don't matter to these people.
    You pretty much summed it up. I starting watching SG-1 from the beginning when it was on Showtime, I was 18 years old at that time. Now after 15 Seasons and 2 movies, they don't care about me anymore? Screw them! I'll only support SG-1 and SGA from now on if SGU is utter crap and as people are calling it, is Stargate Jr. If the show is great, then I'll sing a different tune, but right now I have a lot of doubts.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't give a frak about SGU. From now, it can only suprise me
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
        I don't give a frak about SGU. From now, it can only suprise me
        Right now I am looking forward to the last ep of SGA, well looking forward is more like wish it was not going to end, but should be an epic ep. You may even like that one also.

Then we got the final half of BSG, and then after that, I dunno. Hmm at least Family Guy will be around a long time. That show got cancelled twice and came back even stronger.

Plus we have more SG-1 and SGA movies which I hope Alan Mccullough gets his hand on the script.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          Right now I am looking forward to the last ep of SGA, well looking forward is more like wish it was not going to end, but should be an epic ep. You may even like that one also.

Then we got the final half of BSG, and then after that, I dunno. Hmm at least Family Guy will be around a long time. That show got cancelled twice and came back even stronger.
          Fringe, The Plan, Caprica a some other scifi show.
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Fringe, The Plan, Caprica a some other scifi show.
            Do you watch 24? Great show!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              Do you watch 24? Great show!
              I'Ve just finished the 4th season. Right now I'm watching DS9. I've never liked Star Trek so much, but this is great. REminds me the great Babylon 5 in many ways
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

I'Ve just finished the 4th season. Right now I'm watching DS9. I've never liked Star Trek so much, but this is great. Reminds me the great Babylon 5 in many ways
                Oh I love DS9!!

With the younger audience debate, I find it interesting what they think a younger audience will want.

I've watched SG-1 from a tween and I loved it. I was so excited when I heard they were making the movie into a TV series.

It was about the adventure not the age of the cast or how attractive they were (though all the SG-1 cast are attractive) Have younger audiences really become that superficial? (then again with all the crap that is churned out that people watch...)

I don't want to crucify the show before it starts, but don't all audiences, no matter the age want good stories? I mean pretty things are all well and good but you soon get sick of them. There has been a lot of focus of the cast and I think the TPTB need to give us more story tidbits if they want the long term fans to watch (though this doesn't seem to be the case)

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
                  It seems that a lot of this discussion, or debate, wraps around a confusion over the reason some people are upset. A lot of this thread seems to be about a younger cast. That would be fine, but TPTB said they wanted to attract a younger audience. That means that however old you are and however long you've been watching the franchise, they still want someone else.
                  Not really.

Only the truly self-centered fan thinks they're specifically talking about him/her. Fact is, the average age of Stargate fans is 47 or something, and they no doubt want to reduce THAT age. They know the numbers, they know they have fans of almost all ages, but they also know that a mass majority of their fans are older, and they don't want that, I guess.

So if you're in your 20s, or even 30s, it's not an issue.

That's how I see it, anyway.

And there is nothing preventing older people from tuning in.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    Not really.

Only the truly self-centered fan thinks they're specifically talking about him/her. Fact is, the average age of Stargate fans is 47 or something, and they no doubt want to reduce THAT age. They know the numbers, they know they have fans of almost all ages, but they also know that a mass majority of their fans are older, and they don't want that, I guess.

So if you're in your 20s, or even 30s, it's not an issue.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Apart from the fact that they don't seem to want us - or our money!

Why should they want to reduce the age of the viewers anyway? People live longer than ever now and that is only going to increase. Older people have more disposable income. They buy more things. They are, as a rule, much more loyal. They pick a show and stick with it to a far greater extent than the younger ones who tend to be more fickle.

The whole world is slipping into recession, now is so not the time to drive away loyal fans, especially loyal fans with money to spare and I'm afraid that means us old people!

I am almost fifty, have paid off my mortgage so I have quite a bit of spare cash.I love Stargate, always have, and have spent a small fortune on it in the past. I have no interest in Universe because it is aimed at a younger audience and will no doubt contain a very young cast.
                    sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

I'm 24 and I don't want a young cast for the sake of a young cast.

I watched it as an 13yo and they didn't need a young 'hip' cast to draw me in. It makes me feel old complaining about it.

Comment

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post

I watched it as an 13yo and they didn't need a young 'hip' cast to draw me in. It makes me feel old complaining about it.
                        Excellent point, like I said I was 18 yo when I first started to watch Stargate. The cast age average was like double my age, but I still enjoyed it. I don't want to see people in their 20's failling in love with eachother there are other shows for that.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          Forgetting where we put the TV remote controller does!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                            Forgetting where we put the TV remote controller does!
                            And then forgetting that you can actually use the buttons on the TV!

god, been there, done that!

sig by Varda

Comment

There are buttons on the TV now? Since when?!

Comment

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post

I'm 14 and I'm complaining. I get enough teenage drama in real life, don't need that on my favorite TV show! That's why I avoid MTV. Stargate attracted me because it was science fiction, not romance.

Comment

Working...
                                X