• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost and Survivor.
    Get off my Internet!

Oh, and...

No.

Comment

Nope...the way I think it could work is we have three-four episode arcs (kind of like season 4 of Star Trek Enterprise, or the upcoming Clone Wars series).
      That is just my two cents.

Comment

I hope the entire cast gets stranded at the end of first season, they all die but not before eating each other. That is the only way I would like the whole teen drama, Battlestargate thing. I really hope this new show fails and they bring back atlantis. If I wanted battlestar galatica I would watch it, and if I wanted teen drama, angst, I would just go watch Degrassi. I am 17 and I like the older characters, and all the technobabble.

Comment

Originally posted by draovwildand View Post
          I hope the entire cast gets stranded at the end of first season, they all die but not before eating each other. That is the only way I would like the whole teen drama, Battlestargate thing. I really hope this new show fails and they bring back atlantis. If I wanted battlestar galatica I would watch it, and if I wanted teen drama, angst, I would just go watch Degrassi. I am 17 and I like the older characters, and all the technobabble.
          If Universe fails, the entire Stargate franchise is dead.

Battlestar Galactica will be over in 10~ episodes, hopefully if Universe is played out correctly; it will attract a decent number BSG fans, hopefully.

And the Stargate Universe target audience is above 17, maybe why it's not going to be your cup of tea.

Also, the Sci-Fi genre, on it's own, is currently is pretty dead- look at the latest series that proved to be successful:

Stargate SG-1: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Modern Military angle
          Battlestar Galactica: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Political Angle
          Firefly: Crossed Sci-Fi with Wild-Western genre.
          Heroes: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Superhero theme (Which seem to be all the rage, looking at the films Marvel & DC have brought out recently)

Not enough people want to see Sci-Fi on it's own; which was probably one of the reasons Enterprise flunked, besides the odd direction it was going.

Crossing Sci-Fi with other, popular elements seems to be on the right track, possibly if Universe is written correctly; drawing in other themes and genres it'll attract fans from other mainstream shows that we wouldn't have considered to be anything Stargate like.

Although, like any other show; if the writing/ characters/ etc are rubbish; then it'll be bound to fail (Unless it miraculously develops a late cult following xD)

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
            Also, the Sci-Fi genre, on it's own, is currently is pretty dead- look at the latest series that proved to be successful:

Stargate SG-1: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Modern Military angle
            Battlestar Galactica: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Political Angle

Not enough people want to see Sci-Fi on it's own; which was probably one of the reasons Enterprise flunked, besides the odd direction it was going.
            How are you defining science fiction here? Science fiction is an umbrella term with a number of sub genres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

As you will see, one of the sub genres is Military Science Fiction.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
              How are you defining science fiction here? Science fiction is an umbrella term with a number of sub genres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

As you will see, one of the sub genres is Military Science Fiction.
              Plain Sci-Fi, such as Star Trek and the various aspects that came before it, that we consider cheesy and classic these days.

Comment

Plain Sci-Fi, such as Star Trek and the various aspects that came before it, that we consider cheesy and classic these days.
                Star Trek included military, politics, philosophy, ethics and human interest.
                sigpic

Comment

Star Trek included military, politics, philosophy, ethics and human interest.
                  It's main focus though was exploring new worlds, perhaps faced with a controversial topic- but most shows have that thrown in left, right & centre these days.

Compare that to BSG's strong political/religious analogy; Firefly's heavy wild-western theme and SG-1's use of modern military weapons and tactics, etc.

Comment

Compare that to BSG's strong political/religious analogy;
                    BSG includes military and social science fiction.

Firefly's heavy wild-western theme
                    That had novelty value.

and SG-1's use of modern military weapons and tactics, etc.
                    Military weapons and tactics do tend to turn up in military science fiction.

People heading off to different planets on space ships is just one type of science fiction. Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World' and George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four' are classed as science fiction and neither of these novels include space ships. other planets or aliens.
                    sigpic

Comment

BSG includes military and social science fiction.

That had novelty value.

Military weapons and tactics do tend to turn up in military science fiction.
                      Exactly; they weren't pure sci-fi; they focused heavily on one of the denominations of it; whether it focused heavily on a span of them, or one for novelty purposes.

People heading off to different planets on space ships is just one type of science fiction. Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World' and George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four' are classed as science fiction and neither of these novels include space ships. other planets or aliens.
                      Same again, political analogies.

People are complaining that Universe is loosing it's Sci-Fi-ness, when Sci-Fi is a broad term- encompassing many different genres and themes, as you've said.

Universe could very well be set entirely in a Orwellian Dystopia; with not a single alien or starship in sight; it would still be Sci-Fi. The added elements of what people are calling teen-drama is just another aspect that sci-fi can incorporate and still be science fiction.

Comment

id say it would be cool to have a team stranded, and they have to find a way back. spend a full eppy on them getting lost, and now and then move to them.

Comment

If Universe fails, the entire Stargate franchise is dead.
                          I would rather the franchise dead than turned to $hit.

Battlestar Galactica will be over in 10~ episodes, hopefully if Universe is played out correctly; it will attract a decent number BSG fans, hopefully.
                          So we'll have another Battlestar Galatica, but what will replace Stargate?

And the Stargate Universe target audience is above 17, maybe why it's not going to be your cup of tea.

tptb said SGU is supposed to be directed to a younger audience, if it is above my age then why not just keep Atlantis, I liked all the older characters on Sg-1 and Atlantis. The age doesn't really matter as long as there is still humor not too much drama, thats why I never really liked battlestar galatica, and who is going to be having that much sex? especially when there are more important things to be done

Comment

Originally posted by draovwildand View Post
                            I would rather the franchise dead than turned to $hit.
                            Too late xD

Beggers can't be choosers

So we'll have another Battlestar Galatica, but what will replace Stargate?
                            From a financial and popularity view point; BSG was far more successful than Atlantis; might aswell jump ship and follow in the footsteps of something great than keep up with being average.

tptb said SGU is supposed to be directed to a younger audience, if it is above my age then why not just keep Atlantis, I liked all the older characters on Sg-1 and Atlantis. The age doesn't really matter as long as there is still humor not too much drama, thats why I never really liked battlestar galatica, and who is going to be having that much sex? especially when there are more important things to be done
                            Important things like repopulating human civilisation?

Oh wait...

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              With the spoilers for SGU saying that characters run the risk of being left behind in some galaxies if they dont gate out in time I kinda hope a few people are. Maybe in the back half of a season when theyre building to the finalle. Heck maybe strand some main characters on purpose and follow their struggle to survive ala Lost and Survivor. Could do an Aplot of destiny and its teams and Bplot of the lost team. Or maybe do 2 episodes of those on Destiny and then 1 episode of the lost team.

Thotz?

im sorry apperently i wasnt specific eneough, NO. it is an awful idea if i wanted to watch an episode of someone trying to survive id watch lost or survivor. that specific eneough for you?
                              STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

A fantastic idea. You could definately show two parts of the season. I'd say perhaps an entire half season in fact where the main characters are split. Some stranded and trying to gate to a planet closer to the Destiny in order to contact them and the Destiny crew trying to cope without several key team members. Both can encounter whatever new enemy they come up with and both learn seperate parts of the plot puzzle. THIS is what Universe should be about if it's done well.
                                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X