Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, assuming this is not a hoax - and the only thing that makes that credible to me is the fact Gateworld has it as a headline, I am (to be diplomatic) underwhelmed.

One thing that really alarms me about the civie characters mentioned is that it implies the Stargate programme goes public. Atlantis's civilians add up, because they were head hunted by Dr Weir as the best and brightest in their fields. - Rodney Mckay is excepted to a degree, because he was already part of the Stargate programme from his previous experience with the SGC and the US Air Force. It was a no brainer to include him from his knowledge, experience and cleared security level.
    By contast Bratty senators daughter and slacker mathematics genius sound like the kind of people the SGC and Atlantis would do everything to avoid!

The Colonel sounds like a contraction of O'Neill when he was cold and unapporachable, with apsects of Cromwell form "A Matter of Time" and both Dillon Everett and Marshall Sumner from Atlantis.

The medical character is a younger Keller with the military aspects of a not quite qualified Janet Frasier. (As she is the medical doctor if she is not killed outright "Becketted" or left behind on a planet, it will be a miracle!)

The remaining two are classic military cliches. The angry one and the "green inexperienced" one, who is an unwise repeat of Ford. Assuming he is not intended to be bumped off to shock the audience. Regardless how good the actors that are cast as these characters are, they are going to have very a tough time as far as credibility is concerned.

I thought Atlantis started out with a solid set of characters, and I understood the loss of Ford as a regular, because he was underused. Part of me is actually grateful this A4 page of cliches is going to be cut off from Earth. - If it is as bad as I suspect it to be, then at least it won't pollute SG1 or what I enjoyed about Atlantis! (I stopped watching after the middle of season 3).

As an aside, Worf was not part of Star Trek The Next Generation's casting call. Gene Roddenberry did not want to see any of the established TOS era aliens in the new series, fearing TNG would not grow with its own identity. Producer Robert Justman convinced him otherwise, with Roddenberry accepting the idea of a Klingon officer in the background on the ship. Michael Dorn's audition cemented the idea of Worf as a main character, and the more he was given to play with, the more the character flourished and opened new story opportunities. Its irronic on two levels, TNG would never have been as good without the reappearance of the established species, something carried over into DS9, and Worf himself is one of Treks most complicated and rich characters!

I mention all of this because casting and characters are not static things. - We may yet have an offworld friend on the team like Teal'c or Teyla. It may well be they plan to add-and-drop characters as they go along, as Babylon 5 and more recently BAttlestar Galactica has successfully done.

I repeat, - assuming this is not leaked disinformation, or a plain and simple hoax.

If it does turn out to be awful, I am thinkful I have 10 years of SG1 and 2.5 years of Atlantis I can enjoy, plus the onging DVD film franchise!
    Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 17 September 2008, 11:40 AM.
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

This can not be serious. Surely.

If it is.....OMFG!!!!! WHAT?!?!?

I have never had anything against younger characters. What I DO take offense to is the you-are-too-old-to-watch attitude. But that is aside.

WHAT are they THINKING!!! They are cancelling SGA for THIS?!

That is all I am gonna say, coz I am laughing too hard to believe this!!

Save Our Stargate Atlantis!!

www.SOSGA.net

sigpic

Comment

Ugh, most of these characters do sound dumb. I've officially downgraded my stance on SGU from excited and optimistic to cautiously optimistic. I like the O'Neill clone, the captain doctor, and the McKay clone. The rest range from whatever to lame. I still have faith in the PTB, but these characters do not sound good.

Perfecto!

Comment

OK.

1) The characters all sound pretty awful. This could be a recipe for disaster.

2) How do you audition for this? Seriously. This show could turn out awful. But some part of me still wants to be in it. It's Stargate, and I've still got the faint hope that this will be good. And being 20, naturally I think I could make this show more awesome by being in it.

Comment

Yeah I don't like the sound of the characters, but I still want to give the show a chance, because these really are just genaric descriptions meant for agents to see and say, "Hey, my client could play that role"

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan091 View Post
              I was on the fence until I saw this, and frankly, I do not think I will even bother watching this unless something dramatically changes or TPTB wake up.

Anyway, I think it's about time for someone to start the Anti-Universe thread :/

Why don't we all just quietly slip away and stop posting about it, maybe then tptb will get the message. No one interested here...move along.
              sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

I feel vaguely offended by this.

Well, my girlfriend might enjoy this show. If it proves as half-baked and utterly OC-esque as it sounds, though, the pilot will be the first and last episode I watch.
                If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

The absurdity just keeps on getting better and better. Did TPTB make a bet with someone or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
                    One thing that really alarms me about the civie characters mentioned is that it implies the Stargate programme goes public.
                    Y;know what? I would have loved seeing a Stargate show set after the programmes went public - assuming the show is on Earth and actually deals with it. If the programme is public knowledge and yet it doesn't affect the characters cos they're all on a spaceship, what's the point??
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Toaster, I feel like Elizabeth and Rodney right now. Not what your banner is actually intending to show (I think it's a ship pic?) but their expressions must closely mirror my own.
                      If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                        The absurdity just keeps on getting better and better. Did TPTB make a bet with someone or what?
                        This is punishment for not liking Keller.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thor, ya got aspirin?

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
                            From SpoilerTV:

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2008/0...ting-call.html

Opinions, anyone?

Looks for me like there is about zero crew members I could identify with.
                            What little hope I had for the future of the Stargate Franchise just died. This would make people NOT watch the movies.
                            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

You know, I have to wonder if Brad Wright actually believes the fanbase would react positively to this? I'd imagine he would think at least some of us would, since he must know he can't succeed on new viewership alone.

Or Everett Young alone, for that matter. Is that one person above the age of 25 supposed to make the vast majority of the fanbase sing 'kumbaya'? For frak's sake, I'm only 21 but I hated 'young adult'-esque shows all my life. If that's how they want to play this out, I'm not going to change my mind because there's a big spinning thing in it.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                                I can't shake the name Stargate babies from my mind! I can't wait to see the cast pics from this rubbish, I wonder if they will let the actors wear their school uniforms?

Just had to post this.... A friend made it!

It is time for.... Sesame Gate!!

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...sga/sesame.jpg

Hope the link works!!
                                Last edited by Dezrai; 17 September 2008, 12:14 PM. Reason: had to fix the link!!
                                &

Sig by Lil'Ferret

Comment

Working...
                                X