Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how my post was deleted when I questioned someone's definition of a fan/fanatic as being too rigid and shortsighted. I found it offensive that someone could pidgeonhole me without even knowing abything about me. My reply was not offensive. Maybe it was antagonistic.

Regardless a day after my post was deleted, this debate is still occurring and defeats the purpose of my post being deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
      I love how my post was deleted when I questioned someone's definition of a fan/fanatic as being too rigid and shortsighted. I found it offensive that someone could pidgeonhole me without even knowing abything about me. My reply was not offensive. Maybe it was antagonistic.

Regardless a day after my post was deleted, this debate is still occurring and defeats the purpose of my post being deleted.
      lol yeah u get that...

it's kind of like this essay i wrote for uni about police discretion, it makes for un inconsistent system...
      Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
        How can you be a loyal fan and not be ticked by the cancellation of SGA?
        Quite easily actually. Atlantis was my first experience of Stargate and I loved it, but it had its problems and you got to see them more over the seasons. They got rid of popular characters, they tried to change things too much. They made things more dark and this was actually a good call, but they tried too hard. Put bluntly, they tried too hard to make Atlantis great and it has cost them. So I am a fan of the series as I like watching it, but I can't blame the network for canceling the show when it was pulling huge ratings and wasn't as consistent as SG1.

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the premise of SGU?
        I suppose SGU sounds a bit like Star Trek with it being based on a ship, but lets face it, Atlantis is suffering and has suffered because they are doing the same thing again and again. SG1 was great, they could go and explore new planets but as it got into the later seasons we were going, haven't we seen an episode like this before? And we have been doing it with Atlantis. I was doing it last week when I was watching it on Sky One. I was like haven't I seen an episode slightly like this before, go back in time etc. Week before haven't I seen the characters trapped in a location only to escape and go on a mission to save someone?

The answer was yes in both cases, and that is my point. You can be a bit worried about the premise of SGU but you also have to consider, would creating another series were its explore this planet, get in trouble and escape, waken an enemy and beat it be a worthwhile venture? Would it be worth getting rid of Atlantis and SG1 only to replace it with another show that is the same but with a different name?

No, it would not. So sure, the premise has its plus points and negatives. But they are taking the series in a new direction which it needs if it is to continue.

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the idiodic idea of what the 9th chevron is for?
        Again they are trying to take the series in a new direction, furthermore they are trying to change things. As I mentioned in the above answer to your question, another series were they do the same missions as SG1 and Atlantis will get boring real quick. It wouldn't make sense allowing it to be put on our screens as they might as well stick with Atlantis. So sure it might be a silly idea to some, but for me, it is the new beginning of the Stargate franchise which will hopefully take it forwards.

I am loyal to the real stargate, and while I'm not opposed to there being an SGU...I don't want this SGU.
        I personally don't understand why you wouldn't want this SGU. Admitted it has its plus points and its negative points. But lets face it, bringing in SGU was a replacement to SG1 based in the SGC, exploring new worlds through the 9th chevron. Unleashing a new enemy which has all the advantages only to beat it at the end of the day will not appeal again. They did it with Atlantis and it worked at first with it being a cool character in the Wraith but they didn't drive it through like they did with the Goa'uld.

You are right to worry about how SGU will play out, how long it will last and how it will effect the Stargate franchise. But we need to realise that the franchise needs a kick up the arse and something new needs to happen. This is that something and it hopefully will be good for the series and take it on in a new direction, and one which we all can enjoy. Fan or not.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
          I think fans tend to over-estimate their own importance. I'm relatively sure that even if all the people who say they're going to boycott SGU actually did it (and that is by no means a guaranteed thing) they're just a drop in the bucket of overall viewership, many of whom aren't even online.
          That's true, online fans won't impact on the ratings but it is the online fans who buy the DVD's, the merchandise and go to the conventions so MGM will be losing out that way by online fans not watching or caring about SGU.
          What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

I am loyal to the real stargate, and while I'm not opposed to there being an SGU...I don't want this SGU.
            I can't say I don't want this SGU because I haven't seen it, yet.
            The premises of more character development and set for a young(er) audience makes me cringe a little because the idea of OC in space isn't appealing. Or a space soap opera. I hope their idea of relationships between the characters isn't who is sleeping with whom this week. 'cause ,although that is a natural part of life so are taxes...who wants to see a show about tax returns in space?

I want to reserve my judgement until I actually see it...but I fear the parts I loved the best about the stargate franchise are slowly disappearing: the clash of cultures and the ethical questions that resonate on our current reality. Much of that content was already stripped from Atlantis or poorly handled. Perhaps these issues are considered outdated. Or we lost the courage to challenge our own views though pop culture. I hope they keep the humour and the ability to laugh at their own franchise.
            Let's wait and see.

People often ask me why will I miss Atlantis so bad if I am always criticizing it. There is a simple reason. Long time ago I read this stupid sentence:
            Sex is like pizza: even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.
            The same goes for the Stargate franchise.
            I hope SGU rises to level of gourmet pizza.
            sigpic
            Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
            Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

^^^lol taxes in space, is it troubling i can see TPTB putting this in?
              Meh.

Comment

If it's a good show then people will watch.

If it's rubbish people won't watch.

Loyalty has nothing to do with it. I can't stand CSI but enjoy CSI Miami and can take or leave CSI New York, I judge each show on it's merits and I think that's the best 'loyalty' anyone can show to any television show, be it part of a franchise or a stand alone.

Just now Universe sounds awful and I doubt I'll be tuning in because I don't think it sounds good, that may change as I hear more about it, I won't be ruling anything in or out just yet but watching something just because it has the Stargate tag to it, er, no. I'm afraid there's no such thing as a free ride

Comment

I judge the stargate franchise by my immediate familys reaction to it. Im alittle fanatical so its nice to run it by john q public to get a normal reaction. For instance when i described the Asurans on SGA they said OHHHH REPLICATORS! While some hardcore fans were all boooo replicators. And given ratings and the reception i think my fam was a more realistic.

When i explained the SGU concept they were very excited, especially at the planned regular nonhuman cgi aliens. Something REALLY alien, not just gills on an actor.

This i think is loyalty, the average fan who goes "!!!!!!!" at the basic premise of Universe and plans to stick around for it regardless of sgas cancellation.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewsy View Post
                    1) If you were a true stargate fan, you would accept stargate in every form.
                    I prefer the term "Francise Fan" which was coined on the podcast (sorry boys, i cant remember if it was David or Darren) meaning that we will give any stargate show a fair viewing.

i watched a few episodes of infinety, didn't like it havent watched it since.

so please don't "boycott" SGU, give it a couple of episodes, and then, if you don't like it dont watch it, but dont say "i'm not going to watch it" without giving it it's fair chance. i think anyone saying now that they wont watch SGU has not given it this chance. what for the first three episodes to air, and if you don't like it, dont watch it

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    When i explained the SGU concept they were very excited, especially at the planned regular nonhuman cgi aliens. Something REALLY alien, not just gills on an actor.
                    planned non human GCI regular? What?
                    Last edited by stargatefan234; 16 September 2008, 08:17 AM.
                    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

[QUOTE=stargatefan234;8940607]
                      Originally posted by Brewsy View Post
                      1) If you were a true stargate fan, you would accept stargate in every form.QUOTE]

I prefer the term "Francise Fan" which was coined on the podcast (sorry boys, i cant remember if it was David or Darren) meaning that we will give any stargate show a fair viewing.

so please don't "boycott" SGU, give it a couple of episodes, and then, if you don't like it dont watch it, but dont say "i'm not going to watch it" without giving it it's fair chance. i think anyone saying now that they wont watch SGU has not given it this chance. what for the first three episodes to air, and if you don't like it, dont watch it

planned non human GCI regular? What?
                      Articles said theyre in regions of space humans or ancients have never been to and alien aliens. lol?

Comment

I hate how they are ending Atlantis. But on the other hand...the concept of Universe sounds really interesting. So I plan to watch it.
                        It feels good to be alive.
                        Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post

"Franchise fan" sounds like what TPTB want. Fans who will watch anything with 'Stargate' in the name, which isn't an insult, but just a fact of marketing. It's like when they made Star Trek, they made many incarnations. Some worked, some didn't. Each attracted a segment of fandom but most importantly the casual viewer. The thing with Stargate is that for many fans, it's the *characters* that draw them in. Stamping "Stargate" into the title isn't going to do a thing unless the characters are enticing and the writing is new (there are many SG1 plots I hope they do NOT retread as they've done them enough).

Boycotting only works if your boycott is measurable. If you're a Nielsen family, then you've got power. However, SciFi will lose viewers as there are many fans who got the channel specifically to watch SGA or SG1.

I'll try out the first episode at least, to see what it's about. A lot will depend on the casting and writing. If it turns into another "Starlost," I'm outta there.

Comment

I'm going to give it a try, certainly. Hopefully they won't turn it into a Battlestar Galactica (a little boring, and pretty depressing) or Deep Space 9 (boring) type show. If they keep the balance between action, storyline, with a bit of character development, I'll be happy. But I guess time will tell. I'm trying to be positive about it, but I'm not perfectly convinced.
                            sigpic

Comment

Loyalty goes both ways...They weren't loyal to the stargate fans so why should i stay loyal to them....So no i will not be watching SGU.....At the ripe old age of 35 i'm too old,remember
                              sigpic

Comment

How can you be a loyal fan and not be ticked by the cancellation of SGA?

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the premise of SGU?

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the idiodic idea of what the 9th chevron is for?

How? By understanding that just because one series ends it doesn't mean the whol franchise needs to fold

As I haven't even seen the first episode I won't judge the premise.

Why should the explanation of the 9th Chevron be any stanger than the rest?

Loyal to the real Stargate? You mean the movie because that is the original. Everything else is a "re-imagining" which will either suck or be OK or be superb. It all depends on execution.
                                Michael Shanks in Local Custom and Ben Browder in Interlopers

Comment

Working...
                                X