Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't be boycotting it as there is no point. At the end of the day we are all Stargate fans, and we all want to see good Stargate episodes. I have seen tons of people praise Atlantis and SG1, but by that same notion I have also seen a lot of people bash both series and the SG1 movies. So at the end of the day we can't blame Sci-fi for bringing abot the end of Atlantis, and we can't go and say we'll boycott the next show. As that would hurt the Stargate franchise, it would likely end and we would have to find another TV program to watch.

As lets face it, we all know Atlantis had its problems and its critics. Therefore it was only a matter of time before it got canceled. I was a big fan of it, but even I saw potential downfalls in the series and potential parts were the guys and girls in suits would soon enough end it. Likewise SG1 people complained about no Jack, it wasn't like the previous 8 series. Well ask yourselves was series 8 as good as the previous 7 and my answer to that would be no. Whose fault is that? The writers, not sci-fi. Likewise, Atlantis' problems are not because of sci-fi but the writers killing off characters and repeating already seen storylines but in a different location.

So for me, I will be watching Universe and hoping it succeeds because I enjoy watching Stargate. Like a lot of you guys and girls. So a boycott, its unlikely but even if some fans say we'll never watch that won't stop the series. Because if it does catch the BSG fans, or even the main stream non-sci fi fans. It probably won't matter that much if they watch or not. What will kill the show, or end the show, is the writers. If it works, itwill probably stay around for a while. If it doesn't, and gets repetitive, it will end in a season or two.

BSG is a very good show, admitted at times it can be hard to watch but when it gets going it is a very good show. One of my favourites, hate the fact I have to wait till next year to see the second half of the final series, but hey I got Atlantis to cover that, maybe even Lost.
    sigpic

Comment

Folks

Express your opinions and make your points without descending into the 'true fan' or 'real fan' rubbish

A fan is a fan.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

How can you be a loyal fan and not be ticked by the cancellation of SGA?

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the premise of SGU?

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the idiodic idea of what the 9th chevron is for?

I am loyal to the real stargate, and while I'm not opposed to there being an SGU...I don't want this SGU.
        Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the idiodic idea of what the 9th chevron is for?

I am loyal to the real stargate, and while I'm not opposed to there being an SGU...I don't want this SGU.

i am upset but i understand that tv is a busy and MGM and scifi did what they felt was right to keep the series around

what's wrong with the premise of the series???? if anything i'm looking forward to the new concept as a fan of both prevous series a change could do the franchise a little good

were you expecting it to eject cows from the gate when activated ??? at least the producers are going to be able tell a prevous unknown part of the series that is new and exceiting.

stargate is many things ....it is about exploring the galaxy and meeting new people and learning about ourselves. what better way then to do that then going to a part of the universe we've never been to before???
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Quoted for emphasis!
            Originally posted by metalheart777 View Post
            I feel the same! BSG was just missing something! I tried to make myself like it, but it was no go! If SGU is going to be similar, I won't spend a moment on it. I am going to check it out, but I am definitely a skeptic at this point.

Oh, and just because something has or will have the Stargate tag, that doesn't automatically make it worth watching or even worthy to be part of the franchise. Attitudes like that allow producers/writers/executives to become complacent after they think they have reached their plateau. You can't just throw something called "Stargate Whatever" at me and expect me to support it whether it's good or not.

Also, if the franchise gets hurt in the long run, it will be because of MGM and SciFi, and not the fans' boycott. They should've given SGA a chance to end gracefully! If people boycott SGU for any reason, it should be because they don't want to watch another show that dies a premature death!

~ mh777
            Quoted for emphasis!

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
              were you expecting it to eject cows from the gate when activated ??? at least the producers are going to be able tell a prevous unknown part of the series that is new and exceiting.
              We could solve world hunger. In all seriousness, I agree with Atem. I'm sad that a chapter of Stargate is closing. Atlantis has had its up and its downs. However we don't want the franchise to go down the same road of Trek where the premises are carbon copies of a previous series. While I do agree and sympathize that SGA was cancelled to early, the new area that SGU is investgating sound interesting
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by metalheart777 View Post
                Also, if the franchise gets hurt in the long run, it will be because of MGM and SciFi, and not the fans' boycott. They should've given SGA a chance to end gracefully! If people boycott SGU for any reason, it should be because they don't want to watch another show that dies a premature death!

~ mh777
                I agree! The Stargate franchise was nearly damaged with the harsh ending of Stargate SG-1's dreadful finale Unending in Season 10, although even though everyone thought it should have ended at Season 8 (not including Moebius), seasons 9 and 10 paved way for Atlantis' success ("Moebius", "Avalon", "Crusade", "Off The Grid", "Pegasus Project", etc). Unfortunately, they haven't done the same thing with Universe. That is disappointing. While we're on the subject, since Sci-Fi Friday is going to be a bit dry now, imagine if they brought back SG-1 and Atlantis and start Universe! Three! After all, it is the magic number!

Comment

Errr....No offence but a Few Atlantis Fanatics from Gateworld are hardly gonna Stop Stargate universe being put into production Bearing in mind that The fans from gateworld only make up a Small percentage of all Stargate Fans (Casual and errr...ALOT more than casual) Worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by Tri_rule View Post
                    Errr....No offence but a Few Atlantis Fanatics from Gateworld are hardly gonna Stop Stargate universe being put into production Bearing in mind that The fans from gateworld only make up a Small percentage of all Stargate Fans (Casual and errr...ALOT more than casual) Worldwide.
                    Totally agree. While I do classify myself as an "Atlantis Fanatic" I'm still excited and optimistic about Universe. I look forward to Friday nights this year, and I'll look forward to Friday nights in summer 2009!

Originally posted by hamatau'ri View Post
                    While we're on the subject, since Sci-Fi Friday is going to be a bit dry now, imagine if they brought back SG-1 and Atlantis and start Universe! Three! After all, it is the magic number!
                    Oh, I wish!

Comment

Originally posted by Brewsy View Post
                      hey all,
                      i know the recent news of atlantis being cancelled has shocked, and angered all of us, and im sure im just as pissed as the rest of you.
                      but don't let Universe suffer from your anger. don't boycott it. there are several reasons behind it:

1) If you were a true stargate fan, you would accept stargate in every form.
                      2) "boycotting Universe" would only hurt the franchise in the long run. if MGM and SciFi see that the ratings are low, they may come to the conclusion that the franchise has run down, and will kill off the atlantis movies.

i know i, like all of you, were hoping for at least 1 more season to kind of tie up some loose ends, tell the stories that need to be told, and continue the greatest storyline of all time, but hopefully Atlantis may be renewed in the future. its hopefullness to the point of stupidity, but hey, we can hope.
                      1) how dare you, who are u to define whether I am a true fan or not? The fans 'true' or not, are being treated like dirt, and here you are telling us to accept it.

2) TPTB that be have been hurting the franchise for a couple of years now, not fans boycotting it, who have done nothing but support the franchise.
                      Meh.

Comment

I would be interested to know just how it is that you feel that the fans have been treated like dirt.

While I am not a "fan" by definition (few of us are) I do not feel that I have been treated like dirt. I don't think that Brewsy was trying to define you are anyone else around here as a "true" fan or not. S/he did however point out the truth of the word by definition and what it would really take to meet that definition. To throw out the definition of the word would be the same as me saying that I am purple in color. Well I am, I may not meet the definition of purple but we are now allowing ourselves to choose how we wish to define words just to meet our ends. Today I feel like being different so now I am purple. Ridiculous is it not, I suppose that is why we have these little rules and definitions.

It doesn't really matter if we accept what the people in charge our doing. We can not force them to change their minds, all we can do is complain and in the end find something else to watch. Accept it or not that is what we will have to do, unless of course one of us is able to buy the rights to SGA from MGM and front the money in order to have it made the way we wish. Short of that we can't force them to do anything.

Number 2 is a mixture of opinion and a contradiction in terms. The franchise being hurt is opinion, possibly one that may be backed by numbers but even then you could just as easily find those who think it has gotten better. How good a show is will differ depending on who is watching. Fans boycotting and supporting at the same time, I am not even sure how such a thing works. How does refusing to watch the show, buy the DVDs, attend the conventions or buy anything else related constitute supporting it? That is similar to saying that I will support the Make a Wish foundation but never speak to them, never take part in any event that they put on and never give any money to them. Well I will let the people reading determine just how much sense that makes.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Marcus View Post
                          Somewhere along the way, science-fiction writters began to believe that scifi fans like "Days of Our Lives". I hate everything about "Battlestar Galactica". I hated the original idea, and I hated the latest version. Why? I hate relationship drama. It's boring, dull, and lackluster. I would rather turn on "Deal-or-No-Deal". Just because it is "Stargate", "StarTrek", or "StarWars" does it mean that it will be good. Space opera stinks. I wanted to like "Battlestar Gallactica". I really did. After I watched the first few episodes, I vowed to never watch another space opera again. "Star Trek: Deep Space 9" was fun and boring. When they adapted the space opera idea, I stopped watching the show all together. They had some great moments, but they were filled with just plain bordome.

I will watch the first few episodes of "Stargate: Universe", curiosity driven, but I vow to myself to never watch another, "Oh my god! Did you see them together last night?" -- "I thought Jimmy was with Karen? Why was he with Barbara?' -- "Wait until Karen gets a load of this." -- "I almost put him into a torpedo tube. I was so mad!" -- "Lets go save the universe!" -- "Stargate away!"
                          Before assuming that "space opera" equals "soap opera," please look up Space Opera on wikipedia. Space Opera is "romantic" in the medieval sense. That is, it is characterized by adventure stories, chivalric themes, and occasionally larger-than-life heroes who are faced with seemingly impossible odds. Space Opera emphasizes grand-scale, epic story-lines. It is not necessarily cheesy romance and love triangles. This seems to be a common misconception (perhaps because BSG was both Space Opera and Soap Opera).

At any rate, I do understand that a lot of people are upset and feel that the fans were betrayed. But I don't feel betrayed, and I personally figure that TPTB (including the oft-criticized "writers") have produced two shows that I enjoyed watching. Why should I expect less from their third show?

I think it'll be cool. And I'm excited to watch and see exactly how cool it will be.
                          Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                          Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Sameera View Post
                            I would be interested to know just how it is that you feel that the fans have been treated like dirt.

While I am not a "fan" by definition (few of us are) I do not feel that I have been treated like dirt. I don't think that Brewsy was trying to define you are anyone else around here as a "true" fan or not. S/he did however point out the truth of the word by definition and what it would really take to meet that definition. To throw out the definition of the word would be the same as me saying that I am purple in color. Well I am, I may not meet the definition of purple but we are now allowing ourselves to choose how we wish to define words just to meet our ends. Today I feel like being different so now I am purple. Ridiculous is it not, I suppose that is why we have these little rules and definitions.

It doesn't really matter if we accept what the people in charge our doing. We can not force them to change their minds, all we can do is complain and in the end find something else to watch. Accept it or not that is what we will have to do, unless of course one of us is able to buy the rights to SGA from MGM and front the money in order to have it made the way we wish. Short of that we can't force them to do anything.

Number 2 is a mixture of opinion and a contradiction in terms. The franchise being hurt is opinion, possibly one that may be backed by numbers but even then you could just as easily find those who think it has gotten better. How good a show is will differ depending on who is watching. Fans boycotting and supporting at the same time, I am not even sure how such a thing works. How does refusing to watch the show, buy the DVDs, attend the conventions or buy anything else related constitute supporting it? That is similar to saying that I will support the Make a Wish foundation but never speak to them, never take part in any event that they put on and never give any money to them. Well I will let the people reading determine just how much sense that makes.
                            so....... your purple?
                            Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
                              so....... your purple?
                              Yes, I am now purple.

I just needed a color that couldn't really be construed as racist and would have that slightly ridiculous sound to it. That's why I didn't go with blue, just didn't sound as good.

Just trying to avoid those folks who shout racism a bit early considering that if any of them actually knew me they would know how difficult that would be. I would have to hate my own family for that sort of stuff, hmm, my wife is of a different race and a different religion, I must really hate her too. Just isn't worth getting into an argument with someone who is overly offended by something being said when they don't even begin to understand my real position on it.

If i'm going to argue about something on here it might almost want to be related to stargate, the people running stargate, a term used in an argument about stargate or something else as such. Not what my views may be concerning any race, religion, nationality, what ever else fits into such a category. I may argue with someone about something but I don't hate anyone here or anyone anywhere (barring a few exceptions for those who commit acts that can only be described as horrendous, but that has little to do with race, religion or anything as such). I just type out what I think on a subject or a post at a given time, my view may change and my later post may reflect that, we are human. I do happen to believe that some arguments do tend to need a bit of logic injected in them and that on occasion some folks just need a good ol fashioned "slap on the face" as my commander used to say. In this context I use slap on the face to mean they may need a harsh reply or a strong opposing view for one reason or another.

Well I suppose none of that really matters, not sure anyone cares why I post the way I do much of the time and for all I know I could very well be wrong and the one in need of a "slap on the face". I suppose all of that is for someone else to judge. In any case I am getting more than a bit off topic and I am not certain that I have much to add at this particular point.

Good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sameera View Post
                                Yes, I am now purple.

I just needed a color that couldn't really be construed as racist and would have that slightly ridiculous sound to it. That's why I didn't go with blue, just didn't sound as good.

Just trying to avoid those folks who shout racism a bit early considering that if any of them actually knew me they would know how difficult that would be. I would have to hate my own family for that sort of stuff, hmm, my wife is of a different race and a different religion, I must really hate her too. Just isn't worth getting into an argument with someone who is overly offended by something being said when they don't even begin to understand my real position on it.

If i'm going to argue about something on here it might almost want to be related to stargate, the people running stargate, a term used in an argument about stargate or something else as such. Not what my views may be concerning any race, religion, nationality, what ever else fits into such a category. I may argue with someone about something but I don't hate anyone here or anyone anywhere (barring a few exceptions for those who commit acts that can only be described as horrendous, but that has little to do with race, religion or anything as such). I just type out what I think on a subject or a post at a given time, my view may change and my later post may reflect that, we are human. I do happen to believe that some arguments do tend to need a bit of logic injected in them and that on occasion some folks just need a good ol fashioned "slap on the face" as my commander used to say. In this context I use slap on the face to mean they may need a harsh reply or a strong opposing view for one reason or another.

Well I suppose none of that really matters, not sure anyone cares why I post the way I do much of the time and for all I know I could very well be wrong and the one in need of a "slap on the face". I suppose all of that is for someone else to judge. In any case I am getting more than a bit off topic and I am not certain that I have much to add at this particular point.

Good day to you.
                                ummmm, i was joking.......
                                Meh.

Comment

Working...
                                X