X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    Shoot.
    I'm going to write it down because I'm going to send it to my friends too. They don't visit this forum so they must probably not know about the cancelation. Before SGA started, one of them warned me about this franchise thing.

<btw> My theory is just a bunch of weird ideas so, don't expect much, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
      I just feel like people should have more faith in the PTB. I mean these are the people behind my two favorite shows, and I assume that most people here feel the same about at least one of the shows, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt?
      Because I'm skeptical about what I've heard so far.

Because, despite loving the mythology of S9 and 10 of SG1, I got fed up of all the beaming and space battles, and because even though I love SGA, I believe the Ancients belong THERE and THERE alone now. The Ancients properly debuted in Series 6 of Sg1. we've now had about 6 years of Ancient this Ancient that. Antarctic Outpost, Dakara Device, Merlin's Weapon, and the entirety of Atlantis. Despite the fact the SGA was supposed to be the show focusing on the Ancients, SG1 did exactly the same. It's forgiven, as good stories were produced.

What I fear is that this NEW SPACE FARING ADVENTURE, is taking elements which are not representational of SG as a whole (ie the SGA space battles) and building a series off that, in addition they're relying on the Ancients AGAIN.

Atlantis made sense for me. The myth of a technologically advanced city was real, so it was logical that in that show, whilst theyre contemporary humans, they have access to amazing technology. It worked within SG1's mythology. SG1 was about myths and legends (Ancient Egypt, King Arthur, etc etc) and so was SGA at its core. This is stripping away everything that makes Stargate unique. Mythology, Contemporary settings, it's IDENTITY.

Hence I am very. Very skeptical. I'm excited as well. Because I'm HOPING for something good. But it's been painfully obvious in the later days of the franchise, that the roots are being forgotten, and this just makes it worse.

Besides. You have no more reason to be excited than I have to be cynical. All we have is several concept press releases. As long as we're both going to give it a go and be willing to say "yeah that's awesome/rubbish" what's the problem?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I just feel like people should have more faith in the PTB. I mean these are the people behind my two favorite shows, and I assume that most people here feel the same about at least one of the shows, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt?
        The thing is that some people have been disappointed too many times by TPTB not to doubt them.

I for one liked SG-1 and SGA (the later seasons, I know I'm in the minority but season 1 was awful!). Though I am worried about this "appealing to a younger audience" deal, since right now SGU is sounding like another BSG.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike272 View Post
          OK, we all do, but what if all of our efforts fail? Would you rather have NO Stargate, or a mediocre source of Stargate?
          I mean so what? I will not watch a show just because it has the word Stargate tacked on as the first word in the title.

Comment

The real problem is not with those who are complaning about the cancellation of Atlantis(SG-1 and SGA is two of my favorite series), but those who say it will be "Voyager 2", it will be a sappan opera etc. and they don't gonna watch the show. The filming didn't start yet and some people are making theoris about the show.
            We will see it in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Kribby View Post
              I mean so what? I will not watch a show just because it has the word Stargate tacked on as the first word in the title.
              If there's no stargate this show will just be a rehash of Star Trek: Voyager or Battlestar Galactica.

Comment

Originally posted by HunGripen View Post
                The real problem is not with those who are complaning about the cancellation of Atlantis(SG-1 and SGA is two of my favorite series), but those who say it will be "Voyager 2", it will be a sappan opera etc. and they don't gonna watch the show. The filming didn't start yet and some people are making theoris about the show.
                We will see it in 2009.
                We have been given enough information about the show to speculate, negative or positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
                  We have been given enough information about the show to speculate, negative or positive.
                  I mean they think they know what kind the show going to be.

Comment

I remember reading about SGA before it came out. They said that the stargate would still be around but it would have a new function than before. They also said there would be a universal translator to explain why everyone speaks english. A lot of people didn't like hearing that. Turns out that the new function of the gate just meant that there'd be space gates and they use the Puddle Jumpers to go through instead of on foot all the time, and they changed their minds about the universal translator. Point is, take everything you hear about SGU with a grain of salt. We all might be overreacting to their comments.

Perfecto!

Comment

On that logic, no one should get excited about it either.

You know Griff, I was looking forward to your response to my post. Alas.

Seriously though, these aren't cryptic plot elements. They're facts that are core to the series. It's gonna be set in space at the edge of the universe, and will have little mythology. That doesn't sound like SG to me. It sounds like BSG.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes, it seems like it's going to be a space opera. And i so hope we're wrong but if it's going to be more like BSG than Stargate i will not watch it. I never liked BSG.
                        sigpic

Comment

I watched BSG but i got bored with it

I hate soaps and i can't stand opera
                          sigpic

Comment

Blimey, Major G, where to start?
                            They took a perfectly good show, kept it great for nearly 7 seasons sort of managed to wrap it up and then... flushed it down the toilet. (yes, I haven't seen S10 because S9 was such a pile of foetid dingoe's kidneys I didn't want my brain to start leaking out of my ears)

SGA was fine until around mid-way through S3 and then it died a death. I gave it a chance because I absolutely couldn't stand the Weir character but the others more than made up for it.

I'm not even going to begin to think about maybe possibly watching the next show, because I don't like what I'm hearing so far.

As to whoever reckons that people should leave the forum... well, I like to discuss aspects of the eps that I do like. So I'll be sticking around.

I will just be sticking my fingers in my ears and going "lalalalaala I can't hear you" when SGU gets discussed.
                            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Season 10 of SG-1 is better than season 9 imo.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

You know Griff, I was looking forward to your response to my post. Alas.
                                Well I was going to reply but then went and got some soup and forgot. I agree that it would be better if SGU was more connected to SG mythology especially since SGA won't be running along side of it, but again I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also has anyone thought that whey they say there's going to be less technology that they mean it will be more like SG-1 S1-5 where all we had was real Earth tech and some zat guns? No Asgard beams, no battle cruisers, no puddle jumpers, etc.

Perfecto!

Comment

Working...
                                X