Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was very upset about the canceling of SGA when I heard about it, but I never once thought about boycotting SGU because of it. I'd rather of had SGU wait another year for SGA to get a sixth season where they could so some things like SG-1's 8th season which was really a proper ending to the series (despite there being two more seasons). But what's done is done and I am looking very much forward to SGA's movie adventures as well as SGU. Other than the "mainstream" and "younger audience" comments, the general premise of Universe is intriguing and I will certainly give it a chance and more. Boycotting SGU will only hurt the franchise and it won't bring SGA back. Give it a chance, if it's bad it's bad, if not then you might just have a new favorite show.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Your wrong.Every show gets cancelled eventually
      Yes i know that and i accept that But what i cannot accept is for one show to get dumped just so they can play with their new toy with their "younger" audience
      sigpic

Comment

I guess many people is going to watch SGU, and many of them are going to enjoy it, but what I liked was SG1/SGA. SGU could be the best sci-fi series of all times but I don't feel feel the anticipation I felt about SG1, or SGA.

Out of loyalty I followed SG1 until the end, and because I still enjoy it, I'll follow SGA in the same way. But I have not loyalty towards any franchise. Frankly, even the word sounds dirty. I feel it implies that I have to want to watch/buy anything just because is part of it.

Some people have said that we have to stop whinning, SGA has to end sometimes, and we have to accept it. Well, the same can be said about the franchise isn't? Only time, and ratings, would tell how good or bad, this move was, and how long the sacred franchise would live.

SG1/SGU have died, long life to SGU. It would be that easy?
        Last edited by Kanetsidohi; 25 August 2008, 09:05 AM. Reason: Gramma error. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kanetsidohi View Post

Some people have said that we have to stop whinning, SGA has to end sometimes, and we have to accept it. Well, the same can be said about the franchise isn't? Only time, and ratings, would tell how good or bad, this move was, and how long the sacred franchise would live.

SG1/SGU have died, long life to SGU. It would be that easy?
          Actually in theory a franchise could last forever if they keep coming up with new and interesting ideas and people keep watching. A TV series however could not. Why? Actors want to move on, and costs rise as the years go on. You could get new actors to replace the old, but that is usually a death knell when the lead character of a show leaves.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
            Actually in theory a franchise could last forever if they keep coming up with new and interesting ideas and people keep watching. A TV series however could not. Why? Actors want to move on, and costs rise as the years go on. You could get new actors to replace the old, but that is usually a death knell when the lead character of a show leaves.
            And every so often you need to reinvent, much like X-Files S8 & 9 and Sg1 9&10, and these desicions are rarely popular.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
              And every so often you need to reinvent, much like X-Files S8 & 9 and Sg1 9&10, and these desicions are rarely popular.
              Exactly, in both of those cases a lead character left. Once DD and RDA left two years later they were over. (With X-Files they should have just ended it after S7, IMO)

Perfecto!

Comment

I was being sarcarstic becuase to me, is not that easy.

I know an stablished franchise could go on for years, I wondered about it's quality. Although I guess for many fans the franchise comes first than the series/movies/merchandise than make it, and that point doesn't necessarily matter.

Comment

Exactly, in both of those cases a lead character left. Once DD and RDA left two years later they were over. (With X-Files they should have just ended it after S7, IMO)
                  For me I think they managed to pull S8 off succesfully, as Mulder returned for the second half of the series, and they hadn't full "revealed" their new plot. The new mytharc - super soldiers, was conspiracy free in S8 and seemed like a natural PROGRESSION, then in S9 they decided, "let's make a mytharc we can use for the next 10 years", and so they complicated the super soldier plot and things went bad.

SG1 9 and 10 I loved, much more than 7 and 8. But it was SO different and by that stage, they should have known they wouldnt go on forever, what if increasing expenses. I loved the Ori arc, and the Merlin legacy, and heck, it was MY mythology, British mythology. It was very fun, and very politically astute. I also loved it for in theme feeling a lot like the early days of Sg1. But the problem was... it felt like a new show, whilst trying to be the old one. With the amount of changes made to the whole dynamic all at once, new General, New Male Lead, New ships, New Bad guy, New Female, Teal'c without his Staff.... the only way that could have worked is if Landry had come in during S8 or... Mitchell came in S10 or something.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes, after some years you have to reinvent yourself or die, unfortunately, many times death would have been way better than the new you. IMO.

That's why, although I'm sad, I'm glad SGA was still good. Let's hope TPTB don't ruin it killing off my favorite characters at the end of the season, or in the movie.

Now, I shut up because this thread is for SGU.

Comment

SG1 9 and 10 I loved, much more than 7 and 8. But it was SO different and by that stage, they should have known they wouldnt go on forever, what if increasing expenses. I loved the Ori arc, and the Merlin legacy, and heck, it was MY mythology, British mythology. It was very fun, and very politically astute. I also loved it for in theme feeling a lot like the early days of Sg1. But the problem was... it felt like a new show, whilst trying to be the old one. With the amount of changes made to the whole dynamic all at once, new General, New Male Lead, New ships, New Bad guy, New Female, Teal'c without his Staff.... the only way that could have worked is if Landry had come in during S8 or... Mitchell came in S10 or something.
                      It seems I watch too much tv because I have a theory about SG1/SGC that explains to me why this whole SGA/SGU mess happened!

Comment

Originally posted by Kanetsidohi View Post
                        It seems I watch too much tv because I have a theory about SG1/SGC that explains to me why this whole SGA/SGU mess happened!
                        Shoot.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Oh we all know all the complainers are gonna watch SGU. Theyre just venting. If they really wernt gonna watch theyd stop posting and disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                            Oh we all know all the complainers are gonna watch SGU. Theyre just venting. If they really wernt gonna watch theyd stop posting and disappear.
                            That's not true, there are people here who never watched SGA, but stuck around as SG1 fans.

You say "complainers" like its a bad thing. What's wrong with critical discussion. Yes. I WILL watch, because I WANT to be proven wrong.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

That's not true, there are people here who never watched SGA, but stuck around as SG1 fans.

You say "complainers" like its a bad thing. What's wrong with critical discussion. Yes. I WILL watch, because I WANT to be proven wrong.
                              I just feel like people should have more faith in the PTB. I mean these are the people behind my two favorite shows, and I assume that most people here feel the same about at least one of the shows, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt?

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                                Not ALL, I'm not. I'm venting just because is healthy. I don't have the Sci-fi channel, to watch SGU would require some effort on my part that I'm not doing.

As an example: Just to find what channel, if any, is going to air it in my country take a lot of research because almost any sci-fi series is usually aired at unholly hours, and without any publicity.

Comment

Working...
                                X