This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargate71287 View Post
    GREAT.So we've been denied Season 6 of Atlantis,just as we're loving the new changes.So let's boycott Universe in protest.
    I can just imagine an interview with the directors:

"so what's the story behind universe?" "oh, we're very excited about universe." "that's good, because no-one else is."

Ha!
    Anyone agree?There's no point petitioning,that did nothing for SG1,all we can do is show the <don't call tptb names> in the big black chairs that we're not happy.

one small problem with your plan, if everyone else is as addicted to stargate as i am theres only 1 thing that will keep me from the tv on the day of the premier and thats the world blowing up....... my name is stargater1990 and im a stargataholic, and im proud of it
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

As if they don't know already? If you know of any way , go to the save atlantis thread and throw it in.
      Spoiler:
      APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
      (YEAR 0 - 100)
      "O thou Sun,
      send me as far over the earth
      as is my pleasure and thine,
      and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
      but never hear anything of bad ones,
      nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Wow enough of the constant grumbling over the end of SGA. It was made completly obvious SGA was going to go when they wanted to start SGU. I cant understand why some people appear to be taken so off guard and have become so offended.

Comment

Originally posted by Ackeb View Post
          Wow enough of the constant grumbling over the end of SGA. It was made completly obvious SGA was going to go when they wanted to start SGU. I cant understand why some people appear to be taken so off guard and have become so offended.
          People are grumbling and complaining over the end of SGA because it's a show they love and for quite a few it's their favorite show. Beside Heroes it's the only show that I watch on television outside of sports and as of January it's gone. Right now it is my favorite show and knowing that it's ending (and to me it appears it's ending to make room for another show that I have no interst in) is extremely disappointing.

From reading your previous posts it appears to me that you are viewing things as a Stargate franchise fan and that's fine. As long as it's Stargate you are interested or potentially interested in it as part of the franchise. I'm not a Stargate fan. I don't watch Atlantis because I watched SG-1 (even though I did for the first four years). I watch it because I absolutely love the characters and the show of Atlantis itself. I don't give a rats behind about SGU nor will I watch it. I'm not boycotting the show but I'm not even the slightest bit intersted and therefore won't watch it. If it ends the Stargate franchise I will hate it for the many fans that love Stargate because no doubt they will probably feel as disappoint to learn that Stargate is over as much as I feel that Atlantis is ending now.

Comment

Originally posted by luvmac View Post
            People are grumbling and complaining over the end of SGA because it's a show they love and for quite a few it's their favorite show. Beside Heroes it's the only show that I watch on television outside of sports and as of January it's gone. Right now it is my favorite show and knowing that it's ending (and to me it appears it's ending to make room for another show that I have no interst in) is extremely disappointing.

From reading your previous posts it appears to me that you are viewing things as a Stargate franchise fan and that's fine. As long as it's Stargate you are interested or potentially interested in it as part of the franchise. I'm not a Stargate fan. I don't watch Atlantis because I watched SG-1 (even though I did for the first four years). I watch it because I absolutely love the characters and the show of Atlantis itself. I don't give a rats behind about SGU nor will I watch it. I'm not boycotting the show but I'm not even the slightest bit intersted and therefore won't watch it. If it ends the Stargate franchise I will hate it for the many fans that love Stargate because no doubt they will probably feel as disappoint to learn that Stargate is over as much as I feel that Atlantis is ending now.
            I understand and sympathize with what your saying, but it was said that SGA would end at some point to make room for SGU, although it was not made clear when this would occur it was sure to happen at some point. Fan of the Stargate franchise or SGA alone I dont think there should be any "grumbling", it was made perfectly clear what was going to become of the show and should not be taken as harshly as some people are taking it ( not necessarily you).

Comment

I'll give SGU a chance but if it sucks, I'm not watching it.

Just wish we could still have seasons of SGA. I will HAVE to buy the movies on DVD being in Canada. Even if Space airs it, I can't afford to add Space to my cable (though I'd love to have Space).
              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                I'll give SGU a chance but if it sucks, I'm not watching it.

Just wish we could still have seasons of SGA. I will HAVE to buy the movies on DVD being in Canada. Even if Space airs it, I can't afford to add Space to my cable (though I'd love to have Space).
                Also in good ol Canada and I highly doubt space will air it. I am pretty sure they only just started airing season 2 possibly season 3.

Comment

Originally posted by janiecat View Post
                  Ummm, which is it? You can't have it both ways. Either the fans are consumers, or they're not. Make up your mind. But I’ll try and follow the (il)logic of your argument…
                  Now that was just sad, cutting the quote short to take my post out of context and make it look like a contradiction? Pathetic. Luckily anyone on the forum should have enough brains to be able to nothing the difference between the words 'the' and 'are'.

if the Fans™ make up a large enough percentage of consumers to make an impact on viewer ship numbers, it'll make an impression on TPTB who create the product. So? I believe that was the whole point of my argument
                  The show hasn't even started yet, how can they or we for that matter have any idea who the consumer will be?

LOL! I'm wiping the tears from eyes. The very name of the show is (now repeat after me): Stargate: Universe! I should hope TPTB are targeting the Stargate fans with that title. Or else, why not call it oh, I don't know, 'TeenAgers is Space' or something. They are targeting a specifice audience with that very title.
                  They're using the Stargate name for two reasons, because it's an obvious continuation of the franchise, and because of it's selling power.

So, I would argue if every Stargate fan (ie: consumer) boycotted Universe, as you so succintly posited above, the show would probably last about three episodes. And, as you just stated above, Fans™ are also consumers. Oh, but your last sentence just stated that new show will be made for all the Stargate consumers out there. Forgive me, my head is still spinning...
                  LOL are you serious? If that were true then no show that didn't have an existing fan base would ever get off the ground!

Oh, and the new show better be made for Fans™ as well as for the elusive ‘everyone’ you keep referring to. And how do you know the Fans™ make up such a small percentage of overall consumers? They could just as easily be an accurate representative sample of the larger overall 'consumer' base. You and I don’t know any differently. Or, you must be very rich then? Is your crystal ball always that accurate? I'm sure your stock market predictions are just as bang-on and accurate
                  Common sense. Just look at the movie sales and then Atlantis' viewing figures.

No, what I said is, why do you care so much? And of course they’ve lost something. They've lost a show they love. Good lord, insensitive much?
                  No they haven't. It was never theirs in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
                    I am not getting any anyway.The audiences only way to express their wishes for a show is rattings and nobody cared about the rattings and the awards this show got..
                    Uh, an Atlantis movie has already been green-lighted and more will be on the way if the first one does well.

Yes they are , when they ignore their viewers. Of course it's my right not to watch if i don't want to,as it's my right not to give a chance to SGU , just because i am pissed.
                    That's not the same thing.

I am one among thousands.. i thought they cared about "how many" people where watching their shows.
                    What they care about is how much money they're making. If they think they can make more money by creating a new show then that's what they're going to do, and as they're a business, I don't see how anyone can really hold it against them.

Shows ... and not luxuries, it's not like i was getting an oriental massage every friday night.
                    I thought i was entitled to say my opinion in here.Or do i have to agree with you in order to do so?
                    Of course MGM sells it,and i bought it untill now. Since their "aftersales" service sucks though, i wont buy a damn thing from them anymore..
                    You are, but the tricky thing about freedom of speech is that if you can voice your opinion, then so can I. It just seems strange to me that someone who is so determined to not watch the show or have anything to do with it would bother posting in a forum dedicated to it at all...

Comment

You would boycott your only source of Stargate in the form of a series, for a show which was slowly dying?
                      Also I don't see the big problem with a 'younger audience' will it make much of a difference? I love all things stargate (bar the original movie and Stargate Infinity)
                      and I'm 13, I understand TPTB making channges to accomodate a wider audience but it can't make that much of a diifference.

Comment

Personally I won't be watching it because SGA was canned, I won't be watching it because from what's been released about it it sounds complete and utter tosh, a concept that sounds as if it's the love-child of Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek Voyager and a return to 'alien of the week'. And as to the younger audience twaddle.....mmm not sure the world is ready for Stargate:Babies

Now if I hear more about it that makes it sound interesting then I'll give it a shot, but if my opinion stays the same as at present then no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Arica15 View Post
                          Personally I won't be watching it because SGA was canned, I won't be watching it because from what's been released about it it sounds complete and utter tosh, a concept that sounds as if it's the love-child of Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek Voyager and a return to 'alien of the week'. And as to the younger audience twaddle.....mmm not sure the world is ready for Stargate:Babies

Now if I hear more about it that makes it sound interesting then I'll give it a shot, but if my opinion stays the same as at present then no chance.
                          The "Alien of the Week" concept is what will make this Stargate Series so good and different from past Stargate. As Stargate as very little in the way of alien life its ridiculous.

The Universe concept reminds of of Farscape. Which is one of the best Sci-Fi's around. Much better than both Star Trek and Battlestar. Also Dr Who also follows the "Alien of the Week" idea to much success.

Personally I can't wait for Universe and will NOT be Boycotting it. And as a long standing Stargate fan will welcome it and any other future Stargate series with open arms.
                          sigpic
                          Banner Made By Me for Me
                          The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

From what has been released about SGU, it sounds like a mix between Stargate and BSG for whatever reasons. That concept doesn't really excites me.
                            I have been an Atlantis fan for a couple of years, i actually watched SG1 after i watched Atlantis and i found that SGA was propably the best sci fi i ever watched.
                            As i see it they didn't decide based on the show's rattings etc., or the show's quality, they decided based on a plan about what could bring more money to them.
                            I find this, as an SGA fan, quite irritating. Of course it's their right to make money, but at least they could give a thought about their fans, who have been supporting them for 12 years most of them.
                            It is, imo, quite disrespectfull to treat them like that, especially for the reasons they let us know that they're doing it.
                            Based on this and to their sayings about SGU i won't give any of my time to watch it, or my money to buy it afterwards.
                            I am really sad about it. I thought this show could go on for years.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              Now that was just sad, cutting the quote short to take my post out of context and make it look like a contradiction? Pathetic. Luckily anyone on the forum should have enough brains to be able to nothing the difference between the words 'the' and 'are'.

The show hasn't even started yet, how can they or we for that matter have any idea who the consumer will be?

They're using the Stargate name for two reasons, because it's an obvious continuation of the franchise, and because of it's selling power.

LOL are you serious? If that were true then no show that didn't have an existing fan base would ever get off the ground!

Common sense. Just look at the movie sales and then Atlantis' viewing figures.

No they haven't. It was never theirs in the first place.
                              LOL! Thank you, Thank you! You just made my argument for me and didn't even realize it! Seriously, read your own post again. You say they're using the Stargate name to continue the franchise and to capitalize on it's selling power. Well, who, besides the fans, are going to be interested in a Stargate product? And I suspect, as the show is being shown exclusively on the SciFi channel it will be targeted at oh, probably, SciFi fans and, more narrowly, Stargate fans. Just like when they created Atlantis, they went after the SG-1 fans by using existing characters from the franchise to lure them over.

And to expect that entirely new shows, with entirely new ideas need an existing fan base is a specious argument. New shows go after everyone in the maketplace as a potential audience. A franchise show (which you pointed out above already uses it's existing fanbase as an audience) has narrowed it's focus by it's very title and subject matter. I know I'm using big ideas and even bigger words, but try and keep up...

But, getting back to my original points, which you have so thoughtfully reinforced for me in you spendid arguments...

Fans are consumers. (Which you yourself have conceded in a previous post. Look it up.) Fact. If there are enough of them to impact viewership it will make a difference; if there aren't it won't. Fact. That was, and has always been the point of my argument. You keep talking over, under and around this simple idea.

Going back to my initial question, why do you care so much? Is this a personal affront to you somehow? They have every right to boycott, or protest, or whatever. They are within their rights to express their displeasure.

And yes, they have lost something. Everything out in the public airwaves is for public consumption. When you take it away, it is a loss for the consumer. What is so hard to understand about this basic concept.

Bored now. Going to go play with the grown-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by janiecat View Post
                                LOL! Thank you, Thank you! You just made my argument for me and didn't even realize it! Seriously, read your own post again. You say they're using the Stargate name to continue the franchise and to capitalize on it's selling power. Well, who, besides the fans, are going to be interested in a Stargate product? And I suspect, as the show is being shown exclusively on the SciFi channel it will be targeted at oh, probably, SciFi fans and, more narrowly, Stargate fans. Just like when they created Atlantis, they went after the SG-1 fans by using existing characters from the franchise to lure them over.
                                Doesn't work like that. The Terminator name has massive selling power, do you think that's because it has a massive built in fan base? Of course not, it's because the Terminator name alone will attract people just because it's so well known, not to mention all the extra publicity the name will gain it, thus exposing it to more people.

And to expect that entirely new shows, with entirely new ideas need an existing fan base is a specious argument. New shows go after everyone in the maketplace as a potential audience. A franchise show (which you pointed out above already uses it's existing fanbase as an audience) has narrowed it's focus by it's very title and subject matter. I know I'm using big ideas and even bigger words, but try and keep up...
                                Which is exactly what this show will be doing, haven't you read the statement from Sci Fi? They spell it out for you, it's not difficult to spot.

But, getting back to my original points, which you have so thoughtfully reinforced for me in you spendid arguments...
                                Fans are consumers. (Which you yourself have conceded in a previous post. Look it up.) Fact. If there are enough of them to impact viewership it will make a difference; if there aren't it won't. Fact. That was, and has always been the point of my argument. You keep talking over, under and around this simple idea.
                                Here you go again highlighting the fact that you haven't been paying attention. No one said the existing Stargate fans aren't consumers, what I said was they not THE consumers. Of course they're customers of the product, but they're not the only ones, not by a long shot.

Going back to my initial question, why do you care so much? Is this a personal affront to you somehow? They have every right to boycott, or protest, or whatever. They are within their rights to express their displeasure.
                                And I'm well within my right to express how retarded I think their reasoning is, is that OK? Why do YOU care so much that I'm doing so?

And yes, they have lost something. Everything out in the public airwaves is for public consumption. When you take it away, it is a loss for the consumer. What is so hard to understand about this basic concept.
                                You're confused. We've been given 5 seasons of Atlantis, we haven't been given a 6th, nothing has been taken away, it's just that nothing additional have been given.

Bored now. Going to go play with the grown-ups.
                                Great, perhaps you'll start acting like one. These sly childish insults you keep leaving in your posts are very telling you know.
                                Last edited by jenks; 07 September 2008, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X