Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you would watch a new show SG Universe or an SG Command if...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    So is Guantanamo.

I'd watch it.
    It is, but of a very different nature. So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I would of course five it a chance, from my own personal experience. But at this point if it were not run by the US, it would have to be an international orginization.
      Although in the long run we do have that already with Atlantis. Atlantis is international, it is run by many delegates from many different countries. Although it is not quite the military alliance aspect of the first post, IE NATO like orginization. But that couldbe forceably coming sometime in the future since we do have the IOA already.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        a) They're NOT communists. They like to think they are, but they're not. Really not. Look up communism. Fascists yes. But definitely capitalist.

b) Do people not get that the Chinese would probably be seizing the gate politically with international backing, it wouldnt BE a good thing in the show, it would be an intelligent political story.
        which means the vast majority of people would drop it like a hot banana. You want political, watch CNN.
        sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
        Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
          which means the vast majority of people would drop it like a hot banana. You want political, watch CNN.
          Ah yes, sorry I forgot, entertainment isn't allowed to be intelligent is it?

I happen to enjoy political fiction, The West Wing, Yes Minister, and certain SG1 eps, what's so wrong about wanting to see more in an SG show?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I happen to enjoy political fiction, The West Wing, Yes Minister, and certain SG1 eps, what's so wrong about wanting to see more in an SG show?
            Nothing. Really.
            But it should never be the main foucus of any science fiction show, or book. There can be an element. But if you focus too much on that one element, especially when its politics, the show will suffer.

Comment

Nothing wrong with it at all. It's that groundedness I like about SG. Yes it's a sci fi series but it's plot development and memory serves it well, better than other sci fi series and that's why we expect more intelligent plot lines. Since it's base is in 21st Centuary Earth and a US base why not expect politics to play a role. It's not like the misuse of power hasn't been raised by the writers before or at least alluded to.
              sigpic

Jack: 'Mature symbiote, Immature host'
              Teal'c: 'Indeed'
              Artifysial: 'Thanks a million'

Comment

An episode here and there is fine, but politics is not what Stargate is about. They'd lose a lot of fans if they changed their focus. Many would become bored. I think bringing it up once in a while is enough.

Comment

I've never prefered the political/conspiracy story arcs. For me, they detract from the kind of stories that attracted me to stargate; the exploration, discovery, and new worlds type of stories. Moving the stargate to another country would ensure a political focus.

Besides, I have to agree with Jack Bauer that, for me, the Stargate program is a USAF program.

I'm not a big Atlantis fan, although I do watch. One of a number of things that I personally don't think serves them well, is the IOA involvement.

On the other hand, if the Stargate ever went public, I can see that, under certain circumstances, their might have to be NATO involvement. I don't see it leaving Cheyenne Mountain, though.

I happen to enjoy political fiction, The West Wing, Yes Minister (...)
                  I loved both these things too, but to try and bring that kind of sensibility would distort the concept into something entirely different. When they went that direction in part of season 4 and in season 5 - in order to try and increase the young male demographic- they lost many viewers. I think that would occur in this case as well. It would be better to create a new Scifi-political show that wasn't Stargate related. That might be very interesting.
                  Last edited by amconway; 19 August 2008, 07:41 PM.

Comment

The most important thing to me would be that this theoretical spinoff of yours had an entirely new team of writers who actually know how to write. I'm also not sure if a China-based show would be of interest to me just because of the political climate, but another major country? Could be interesting. I'd be curious to see a Russian-led version, particularly after the negative way they tended to be portrayed on SG-1. Who are the other major parties? It's been a while since I've paid attention to such things. The French? LOL! Not sure I'd like that, either. UK would be a plus, although I'm sure there are those who'd be unhappy since it's another primarily English-speaking group and would probably be dismissed as being "too much like America," much to the disgust Brits and Yanks alike.

As for the whole "USAF or die" mentality, I guess I just don't have that much loyalty because I think an international effort- or even a full-scale handing off of the baton to another member nation- isn't offensive and might even make a bit of sense. Except of course for the part where you'd have to pry America's cold dead fingers off the Stargate program before such a thing would be even a remote possibility. There's no way the US would give up their claim willingly and I think they'd fight tooth and nail even if they were ordered to surrender control. Especially if they were ordered to surrender.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with it. I'm just saying it would never fly. The political eps are the least watched eps by most of the fans, even though they're great for rounding out the show. People are attracted to Stargate for the adventure, the discovery, the aliens, the characters, and yes, the explosions. If this kind of show went political, it would die in the first season. Political fiction absolutely has a place. Just not here, I don't think.

And who says entertainment has to be political to be intelligent? I think Stargate is very intelligent. It's one of the main reasons I'm so loyal to it.

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
                      An episode here and there is fine, but politics is not what Stargate is about. They'd lose a lot of fans if they changed their focus. Many would become bored. I think bringing it up once in a while is enough.
                      Yes. What you said.
                      sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
                      Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

Actually, I would love to see someone else in the control of SG programme - but if it was in real life. Because if the writing wouldn´t change, then you can have any nation/organization in the conrol, but it would be all still the same, just witha different flag in the office room.
                        .:.
                        My Art Blog .:. A J.F. Fan

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          The most important thing to me would be that this theoretical spinoff of yours had an entirely new team of writers who actually know how to write.
                          That's far too radical a change for it to happen...! Although it'd be nice.

I'm also not sure if a China-based show would be of interest to me just because of the political climate, but another major country? Could be interesting. I'd be curious to see a Russian-led version, particularly after the negative way they tended to be portrayed on SG-1. Who are the other major parties? It's been a while since I've paid attention to such things. The French? LOL! Not sure I'd like that, either. UK would be a plus, although I'm sure there are those who'd be unhappy since it's another primarily English-speaking group and would probably be dismissed as being "too much like America," much to the disgust Brits and Yanks alike.
                          Probably true, but just not the Britain currently featured in Stargate (WHEN it's featured). While at least the UK characters aren't the mass of standard British cliches (bad teeth, tea-drinking, 'Bloody Hell', extremely villainous etc) most American-written Brits are, they seem to have trouble writing anything else in place of the stereotypes. But, when all's said and done, it is a US series. I'm interested to know how Americans feel about the way they're portrayed on British TV (Doctor Who for example) for comparison.

As for the whole "USAF or die" mentality, I guess I just don't have that much loyalty because I think an international effort- or even a full-scale handing off of the baton to another member nation- isn't offensive and might even make a bit of sense. Except of course for the part where you'd have to pry America's cold dead fingers off the Stargate program before such a thing would be even a remote possibility. There's no way the US would give up their claim willingly and I think they'd fight tooth and nail even if they were ordered to surrender control. Especially if they were ordered to surrender.
                          Ordered by whom?! Who could actually, realistically tell the US to do anything, let alone hand over what is probably the single most important object on the face of the Earth? But you are right. There is no way the US would hand over the Stargate, physically or politically. The most we could hope for is increased international participation in the SGC.

But a more international SGC would make sense, especially since most of it's funding was reappropriated for 304 production. More funding, more manpower, more resources....and more cannon fodder.
                          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

We should note that while Stargate is owned and funded by an American media company, many, perhaps even most, of the people working on it are Canadian. Doesn't really matter to the discussion, I just thought that it should be mentioned.

Comment

MGM should never give Skiffy another series

Comment

...another nation took control of the stargate programme, as has been hinted at in several seasons of SG1, particularly the Chinese? Would you be more or less willing to watch the show if complete control of the gate was handed to an International Body (NOT the IOA, but a similar organisation to NATO)?
                                why is there a single nation in commant of sgc? i thought the IOA was......
                                Spoiler:
                                APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                                (YEAR 0 - 100)
                                "O thou Sun,
                                send me as far over the earth
                                as is my pleasure and thine,
                                and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                                but never hear anything of bad ones,
                                nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Working...