Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
    actually... it is considered by most that living as a slave, subjugated into worship against their will under threat of death or torture is a far worse path in life than death...
    Being forced to "worship" something you don't believe in isn't the same as being a slave. When people say that living as a slave is worse than death, they aren't talking about being forced to fake a reverence for something. Not even close to the same situation. It's more like a life without the freedom of speech than anything. If the government hears about it, then you're in trouble ... but you're still capable of thinking for yourself. In a very real sense, it's just a show that the people the Ori conquer have to put on.
    And as for "torture is worse than death", where are these people being tortured? Because the Ori demand that they follow their religion? That isn't torture. Again, that is something they can fake (re: pretend to accept Origin) to live, and no harm would come. That isn't torture at all.

The real question would be: "Is faking being part of a religion worse than death?" ... the answer to that would be no, especially since there are actually quite a few people on Earth that really don't believe in their religion, yet practice it for appearance sake anyways. They wouldn't choose death over their lives, why would they?

2. the goa'uld were our fight, not the ancients...
    But my point was that the imbalance of power was the same. "We" were no less or more disadvantaged in that fight than "we" fight the Ori. We couldn't shoot down Goa'uld hakacs any more than "we" can shoot down Ori 'toilet ships'. And their energy weapons aren't much different than the staff weapons. The only difference is the Priors, which are needed to make the Ori seem just a little bit worse. That's the only difference.

3. the ori, as has been stated within the show, will eventually - presumably after conquering all or a majority of the milky way - take their fight to the ancients... it is partly for this reason that the ancients should get involved...
    Yes, but that's not the followers' of Origin, that's the ascended Ori beings. We aren't fighting the Ori beings, you don't see them striking down foes do you? No, it's the followers of Origin, the "children" of the Ori, that are fighting. That's like lumping the Tau'ri, Jaffa and all the others that the Ancients "created" as all being "Ancients".

And again, if the Ancients want to give their enemies the power to destroy them, that's their stupidity. Not their immoral attitude towards being the protectors of the universe.

4. we (earth and our allies) are on the brink of extinction from the ori... because we refuse to kneel before them... this it is a life and death situation for us... the ancients, as the progenitors of our race, i think owe it to us to come in and help us fight the enemy that they are in part responsible for creating...
    "We" are no more on the brink of extinction than "we" were when "we" pissed off the Goa'uld system lords, and they started sending ships to earth. How is it different? Because the Ancients fought with the ascended Ori some millions of years ago?
    "The true nature of a man is decided in the battle between his conscious mind and the desires of his subconscious." - Stargate

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers." - Voltaire

Comment

it would make sence to have a base there because most races dont have the hyperdrives capable to going into intergalactic space, so it would be quite safe.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

A huge midway space station is brilliant. It could be reminiscent of the World War II Battle of Midway. A vital station that holds the line against alien invasions; Always under siege and without the cloaking devices and other superior Ancients technologies of Atlantis.

I liked the idea of Atlantis but instead of exploring the city and all of its wonders they did the usual Stargate thing and explored other worlds. I mean what if the Ancients had a lab with the DNA and suspended animation of various extinct animals - that sort of thing.

I could picture some grizzled Marine looking out into the void of space, manning his rail gun yelling, "we hold the line here," to his companions.

Comment

*spoilers for season 4 of SGA*

At comic con, Joseph Mallozzi said that
          Spoiler:
          In sci-fi, nothing lasts forever, and if we were to get too attached to the Midway Station, we'd be disappointed. I take that as a hint it's going to be destroyed.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Have any cannon episodes of stargate ever dealt with the Andromeda Galaxy m-31 or Triangulum, further,There are two actual Pegasus galaxies-Andromeda VI, the Pegasus Dwarf Spheroidal 2.7 mly distant and Dwarf Irregular 3.8 million lyr distant. Which Pegasus is which. There's also a 47 million Ly distant spiral Galaxy NGC 7741 in Pegasus. Could one of these be the Ori or Asgard Galaxy?

Comment

Originally posted by zoislk View Post
              "We" are no more on the brink of extinction than "we" were when "we" pissed off the Goa'uld system lords, and they started sending ships to earth. How is it different? Because the Ancients fought with the ascended Ori some millions of years ago?
              in the spirit of trying not to diverge too much from the thread topic... as i know this argument belongs elsewhere... and the fact that you type too much for a msgboard...

we are more on the brink of extinction now against the ori than we were with the goa'uld. Earth was part of the protected planets treaty which the goa'uld signed onto. we had the asgard watching out for us, and even moreso after we made contact with them. anubis attacked us because he did not fear anyone, us, asgard, etc.. and knew that he had free reign from the ancients bc his life was a punishment to Oma.

now, however, the Ori are the most powerful race in the milkyway, possibly the local part of the universe... and they know full well that the Ancients will not fight them unless they descend themselves... unless they attack earth right now (i believe this was stated in an episode)... however, by the time they conquer the majority of the MW, they will have enough power to attack earth and take out the ancients too... so they know there is no threat out there... if there is nothing to stop them, at all, then there's nothing to prevent us from being wiped out... whereas the goa'uld could be destroyed by the asgard... and knew it...
              Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
              Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
              Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
              Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

I bet that''ll work. Put Walter on a chair in the Midway station, which is in an immense vastness of nothingness, and have him watch SG teams and other people/stuff transported between Atlantis and the SGC.

As as season finale something could go wrong and they'd get delayed 10 minutes!

Comment

Stuff from JM:

Glennh73 writes: “Any chance this midway station has something to do with stargate universe?”

Answer: Nope.
                  http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...st-8-2007.html

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    Well, I guess that answers that.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

ok for one that anubis being was controlled the Ascended Anibus . he was never punished by Oma . but after daniel found out OMA went to War with anubis the outcome was never determined. well anyway lets get back on the subject . Any news on when the casting starts on the new series.

Comment

Or he means it doesn't have anything to do with it, it has everything to do with it!

Comment

It would be cool to see something to do with the Midway station (if it is manned) but I doubt a TV series based around it would last. You can only go to the Milky Way or Pegasus Galaxies which are already covered by SG-1 (now movies) and Atlantis. Plus you'd get no end of B5 or Star Trek: DS9 rip-off! complaints from a lot of people. So maybe a mini-series or just have a few Atlantis eps based there.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                            i think the writers gave up on the 9th chevron, if you look at the pegasus and milky way gates at the midway station there are only 8 chevrons. There wouldnt be that much either, long trip to both galaxies we have a base in, which Midway is not the main base. If they learn its easier to dial other galaxies and return to midway with normal energy requirements then maybe.
                            The Last Cheveron is under the floor! So if it breaks they are screwed!
                            Its also been confirmed that Stargate universe deals with the 9th C!

Anyways a whole series set in the midway station! Are you joking! Its like one room! Well maybe 2 as i would not like to be in that tiny room when the gates activate and a DHD has to be somewhere oh and maybe a power room and toilet! But thats It 4 rooms! I doudt any1 is even stationed their! Plus they are in a void there4 apart from the odd Ship travelling between galaxies the floating stargates and maybe a rock or two theirs Nothing! No Stars not Planets nothing!

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                            im hoping the Midway station will be like the Gould space station in a way, huge and a base.
                            We already have loads Earths best in atlantis, delta sites in both PG and MW, crewing the ships, at the artic outpost and in the SGC. The next thing we need is ANOTHER BASE! where are all the staff coming from? Is no one on Earth wondfering where all these Gd men and women are going and most of being killed?

Originally posted by Mike3121 View Post
                            A huge midway space station is brilliant. It could be reminiscent of the World War II Battle of Midway. A vital station that holds the line against alien invasions; Always under siege and without the cloaking devices and other superior Ancients technologies of Atlantis.
                            Nice Idea but what is it gaurding? One tiny dot in the mass void between two massive galaxies? You would need thousands of Midway stations to do that! Any smart bad guy would just fly around it. After all space is 3D and its not Star wars with hyperspace routes! In SG hyperspace has no roads. Plus any attacking alien fleets would be in hyperspace and so why fly right past and maybe even through the station in the blink of an eye! Unless it has some advanced gravity well and antihyperspace well! But you would still only be defeneing one straw in a barn full of it!

Pointless
                            Last edited by MechaThor; 09 August 2007, 05:09 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Banner Made By Me for Me
                            The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by jeffsupersaiyan View Post
                              ok for one that anubis being was controlled the Ascended Anibus . he was never punished by Oma . but after daniel found out OMA went to War with anubis the outcome was never determined. well anyway lets get back on the subject . Any news on when the casting starts on the new series.
                              actually... anubis's existence and ability to wage the war he did was the punishment the ancients gave to oma...

maybe anubis and oma will be friends in SGU
                              Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                              Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                              Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                              Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

I'm sorry, but that would probably be the most boring television show... ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X