Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by major davis View Post
    Yeah it does, I was just overreacting a bit, just a little concerned. I guess it would just be plain stupid to do that. Ok thats cool. Oh and I will go back and read your posts but what do you mean by exploring in-depth avenues of faith????
    Maybe giving the character different spritual beliefs. Rush a proud atheist while Young has been known to practice Christanity. However Wray is a strong supported of the Hindu ways. Its bound to create tension. Religion (or lack of) does have some merit on the morals you follow.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      The "trailer" seems to be what is playing at the booth, and that will be made available online (soon). That's what we're talking about now -- it's about 6 and a half minutes long.

The "sizzle reel" is what is playing exclusively at the panel on Friday morning, and will NOT be put online.

The concern over sexing-up Stargate ... is silly. It is going to be more adult than previous incarnations of the franchise, which is nothing new to anyone. A show focused on characters and their interrelations means there had better be some sexual (and religious!) themes. But the presence of kissing in the trailer is not worth getting worried about ...
      As expected

Also, thanks for the clarification of the difference between the "sizzle reel" and the "trailer". Any chance that there will be some sort of coverage of the sizzle reel?
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

I just am really scared that theyre going to say that Jesus was like an ancient or something. And to a large amount of viewers, that would be insulting, like I believe Jesus died on the cross for my Sins so I won't spend an eternity in hell, I mean if TPTB make it like Jesus wasn't real and he was just an ancient, I(and probably a very many others) would consider it very insulting. I mean, imagine brodcasting a show in arabia, that claims Mohamad is a fake. I mean, I hope it is only something to explore his character, I mean maybe he was a Christian, and thats what he has his faith in considering he is about to die. Please someone help clear this up for me, I'm actually starting to have doubts about SGU, especailly considering that article/review of the SGU stuff(saying it was uber sexual and stuff).
        You have nothing to worry about. But since you brought it up I think that would be an awesome idea
        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
          It's obvious tptb AREN'T going to make any modern day religious figure an Ancient. Not that it should matter, it's a TV show. People shouldn't get so insulted by it, if they did show him as an Ancient, it isn't even criticism of the religion. Anyway, if God does exist, and that is a big if in my eyes, he would be by all definitions, an alien.
          Ok when I am explaining this next thing please don't be insulted. I may sound a little brisk, but I am just trying to explain stuff about Christianity.

As a Christian, I believe the only way to get to heaven be forgiven for our sins, and to not spend an eternity in hell is through Jesus. The bible has said many time that we all have sinned and are going to hell... unless we confess our sins and ask forgivness. And the only way we can be forgiven is through Jesus(he died on the cross for the world's sins). If SGU makes Jesus an ancient in the show or what not(Kinda like Merlin and all the Egyptian gods), it would be a slap in the face to Christians basically saying(wheather they mean to or not) "Yeah Jesus is fake, there is no God, there is no heaven or hell". So in a way's it is kinda saying Christianity is fake. I have always appreciated that Stargate has respected religions for the most part. It doesn't try to prove or favor Christianity over Islam, Buddism over Atheism etc. I just pray it stays that way for SGU.

Hope that helps or clears things up.
          Last edited by major davis; 23 July 2009, 11:38 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

The "trailer" seems to be what is playing at the booth, and that will be made available online (soon). That's what we're talking about now -- it's about 6 and a half minutes long.

The "sizzle reel" is what is playing exclusively at the panel on Friday morning, and will NOT be put online.

The concern over sexing-up Stargate ... is silly. It is going to be more adult than previous incarnations of the franchise, which is nothing new to anyone. A show focused on characters and their interrelations means there had better be some sexual (and religious!) themes. But the presence of kissing in the trailer is not worth getting worried about ...

Spoiler:
            Spoiler-readers, remember that Ancient long-range communications device? Remember how it works? Remember who has left loved-ones back home on Earth? I don't think that Tamara kissing someone is tantamount to everyone on the show 'hooking up.'
            six and a hlaf minutes!?wow so they finally decided to give us more than 30 seconds worth of footage?thanks for the update darren how much is new footage though?

Comment

Spoiler:
              Spoiler-readers, remember that Ancient long-range communications device? Remember how it works? Remember who has left loved-ones back home on Earth? I don't think that Tamara kissing someone is tantamount to everyone on the show 'hooking up.'
              Hey Darren,

Thanks for clearing things up.

Honestly I won't be mad if SGU has romance or some sexual content. I mean it would'nt make sense if there was none of that on a ship of stranded people. I really don't mind religion being in there either. But I do mind if the sex is gratuitious and graphic, and I do mind if religions are made fun of or "proven wrong". Like say for example, Christianity can't be real, cause Jesus was an ancient in the show, or an alien or something.

I think I could have stated what I said a little better, I hope that helps you understand what I was trying to say!
              Last edited by major davis; 23 July 2009, 11:37 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok when I am explaining this next thing please don't be insulted. I may sound a little brisk, but I am just trying to explain stuff about Christianity.

As a Christian, I believe the only way to get to heaven be forgiven for our sins, and to not spend an eternity in hell is through Jesus. The bible has said many time that we all have sinned and are going to hell... unless we confess our sins and ask forgivness. And the only way we can be forgiven is through Jesus(he died on the cross for the world's sins). If SGU makes Jesus an ancient or what not(Kinda like Merlin and all the Egyptian gods), it would be a slap in the face to Christians basically saying(wheather they mean to or not) "Yeah Jesus is fake, there is no God, there is no heaven or hell". So in a way's it is kinda saying Christianity is fake. I have always appreciated that Stargate has respected religions for the most part. It doesn't try to prove or favor Christianity over Islam, Buddism over Atheism etc. I just pray it stays that way for SGU.

Hope that helps or clears things up.
                Aren't Ancients basically Gods though? They created all life in the Galaxy, just because they didn't do it by snapping their fingers doesn't change that fact. Either way, if I were you I wouldn't worry, because it's not going to happen It'll just be a hallucination on Scott's part. I wouldn't mind if they came out and said all religions were fake, not just the old ones, it would be a nice change for a TV show, certainly an American one. But I guess I can understand why it would p*ss people off, and why TV shows like that won't be accepted for a while yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                  You have nothing to worry about. But since you brought it up I think that would be an awesome idea
                  You mean Jesus being an Ancient.... LOL I just have to laugh, I mean if you were a Christian you would understand how I feel. I mean you belief and your reason for being is being "proven wrong" by your favorite show.(obviously my faith wouldn't waiver, but I would be a little frustrated and insulted(more frustrated and bumed, i don't know if insulted is the right word).
                  sigpic

Comment

Probably the trailer. OKKK IM getting worried I really need you guys help. I am putting this next thing in spoiler tags only for the uber spoiler sensitive, but it shouldn't reveal anything big.

According to David Read(who is at the con) there is a trailer and i

Spoiler:
                    One shot shows Lt. Matthew Scott (Brian J. Smith) weary in the desert, where he sees what looks like a cross and the figure of Jesus on it, just before he crumbles to his knees.
                    Personally, I believe it will be
                    Spoiler:
                    Scott turning to Christ when the pressure gets to him.

I don't think TPTB would go the route you are thinking though. I believe this is a realistic approach if what you put in the spoiler to because in reality, when someone is in pressure, people will go and do that. It also portrays humanity because a large part
                    Spoiler:
                    have a certain faith.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                    and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

You mean Jesus being an Ancient.... LOL I just have to laugh, I mean if you were a Christian you would understand how I feel. I mean you belief and your reason for being is being "proven wrong" by your favorite show.(obviously my faith wouldn't waiver, but I would be a little frustrated and insulted(more frustrated and bumed, i don't know if insulted is the right word).
                      Not all Christians would feel that way. Some of us would say the show is fiction and should not be taken seriously for what they point out as real and unreal beliefs
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                        Aren't Ancients basically Gods though? They created all life in the Galaxy, just because they didn't do it by snapping their fingers doesn't change that fact. Either way, if I were you I wouldn't worry, because it's not going to happen It'll just be a hallucination on Scott's part. I wouldn't mind if they came out and said all religions were fake, not just the old ones, it would be a nice change for a TV show, certainly an American one. But I guess I can understand why it would p*ss people off, and why TV shows like that won't be accepted for a while yet.
                        Not really cause again it's basically saying the Judeo-Christian God didn't create the universe, other gods did. I mean as for the Ancient thing, it is a kinda pushing it cause I believe the Judeo-Christian God created the universe and life in the Universe. However the Ancients were just in one galaxy. So in a ways I really don't like it... however it's not blantantly saying, Christianity is fake.(Cause if they made Jesus an ancient in the show, it basically would be saying that).

Hope that helps.
                        sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Very good points we are not going to get over the top sex scene no more than kissing. you just have to look at the re cut of children of the gods the only nude in the whole of the franchise has been taken out because brad wright did not feel happy with it been in stargate so he is not goning start to put theses scenes now.

I can't wait for the trailer
                          sigpic
                          Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                          Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Not all Christians would feel that way. Some of us would say the show is fiction and should not be taken seriously for what they point out as real and unreal beliefs
                            True, but I get my entertainment by emersing myself in the show and making it feel real for 45 minutes, so I would still feel that way. Additionally, it's the message that TPTB send that would bother me as well.

Are you a Christian?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Promethius30 View Post
                              Very good points we are not going to get over the top sex scene no more than kissing. you just have to look at the re cut of children of the gods the only nude in the whole of the franchise has been taken out because brad wright did not feel happy with it been in stargate so he is not goning start to put theses scenes now.

I can't wait for the trailer

Yeah same here IM SOOOO EXCITED, just I don't want the sizzle real to have anything in it that is not in the trailer. I would be soooo bumed. So when do you think is soon?
                              sigpic

Comment

True, but I get my entertainment by emersing myself in the show and making it feel real for 45 minutes, so I would still feel that way. Additionally, it's the message that TPTB send that would bother me as well.

Are you a Christian?
                                My beliefs are not up for topic and something I refuse to talk about on the open forum. I just know how the social data usually plays. Most people don't care if their beliefs are painted in negative light since it is fiction after all. Its the minority extremes we hear about that always paint a religion in a bad lights
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X