Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
    There is a lot of hostility towards SGU, from different sides. On one side you have the Atlantis fans who feel betrayed, and who feel this show will never live up to Atlantis. On the other, you have non-Stargate people who still associate this show very closely with the previous two, despite it seeming very different. I wouldn't worry about that stupid poll, the comments on sites other than Gateworld from people who aren't taking the time to learn enough about SGU are what should be more troubling, the people who still think it will be Stargate:90210 or some poor man's BSG, despite the fact that it has some fantastic actors, set designs, and seemingly storylines too (I would place Carlyle above the BSG cast, and I love most of the BSG cast, and I've heard fantastic things about Ming-Na and even the newbies).

Luckily, this show is being promoted better than it's siblings, and I expect a lot of people will tune in, and will enjoy it and stick with it, seeing that all this ******** from certain corners is just unfounded bitterness.
    We got the same reactions from SG-1 fans not wanting to watch Atlantis (I was aggressive towards it at first, but now love Atlantis), then we had all the Series 9 and 10 haters who went on to like them, and the Jonas, Kellar, Woolsey, Carter on Atlantis haters and they all worked out fine.

SGU will most likely turn at fine too and in 5-10 years from now all the haters will be moaning that SGU is being canceled in its prime!
    sigpic
    Banner Made By Me for Me
    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by SGU Scotsman View Post
      You have a point they probably will watch lol
      I doubt if all of them will probably watch. There are people who watched SGA just for the Wraith and they've never bothered with SG-1 because there aren't any Wraith in it. As there won't be any Wraith in SGU, they're unlikely to be interested.

I can't say that the idea of the show holds any interest for me because it's just going to be ordinary, contemporary Earth humans stuck on a spaceship. Even so, I'll give it a try for a few episodes when it starts in the UK. Whether I keep watching or not won't make the slightest difference to the US ratings, though.

Originally posted by SGFerrit
      Luckily, this show is being promoted better than it's siblings, and I expect a lot of people will tune in, and will enjoy it and stick with it, seeing that all this boll***s from certain corners is just unfounded bitterness.
      It won't matter how many people tune in and stick with it if they don't count towards the US ratings.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
        I doubt if all of them will probably watch. There are people who watched SGA just for the Wraith and they've never bothered with SG-1 because there aren't any Wraith in it. As there won't be any Wraith in SGU, they're unlikely to be interested.

I can't say that the idea of the show holds any interest for me because it's just going to be ordinary, contemporary Earth humans stuck on a spaceship. Even so, I'll give it a try for a few episodes when it starts in the UK. Whether I keep watching or not won't make the slightest difference to the US ratings, though.

It won't matter how many people tune in and stick with it if they don't count towards the US ratings.
        your right the Wraith were one of the reason people only watched SGU but they might watch SGU just to see if it works for them
        Made by the wonderful Lahela

Comment

I'm actually quite interested to see how SGU does come Fall. I've noticed that GW seems to have the most optimistic attitude with regards to the new show, and several other forum sites really don't.

A lot are still stuck in the "This is BSG: 90210" stage...lagging behind by several months to say the least.

Still, though, while I'm optimistic and perhaps even excited, it doesn't mean SGU is going to be a hit. I'm not saying I'm concerned, just trying to be wary of extending Gateworld's generally optimistic atmosphere to the fan audience at large.

Here's to hoping it does really well though
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
            I'm actually quite interested to see how SGU does come Fall. I've noticed that GW seems to have the most optimistic attitude with regards to the new show, and several other forum sites really don't.

A lot are still stuck in the "This is BSG: 90210" stage...lagging behind by several months to say the least.

Still, though, while I'm optimistic and perhaps even excited, it doesn't mean SGU is going to be a hit. I'm not saying I'm concerned, just trying to be wary of extending Gateworld's generally optimistic atmosphere to the fan audience at large.

I think Gateworld is actively trying to make this site a positive experience for those who want to enjoy SGU. The other sites (including Syfy, which surprises me), not so much...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post

I see that still on a lot of sites i just hope that the majority of people who liked stargate sg1 or atlantis will still give it a try and hope that it attracts some new fans because if not i sure it will be seen as a failure.
              sigpic
              Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
              Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                I think Gateworld is actively trying to make this site a positive experience for those who want to enjoy SGU. The other sites (including Syfy, which surprises me), not so much...
                Originally posted by Promethius30
                I see that still on a lot of sites i just hope that the majority of people who liked stargate sg1 or atlantis will still give it a try and hope that it attracts some new fans because if not i sure it will be seen as a failure.
                Indeed. It reminds me of the Q&A portion of the interviews with David Blue and Elyse Levesque on how they think SGU will turn out. They both seem very optimistic, considering they have first-hand experience of the stories being told so far.

I feel that it will retain a lot of fans if they watch it first, but the trick is getting a lot of people to watch it that have already written it off.

I just hope everything works out, as I am certainly excited for SGU and seeing if it can live up to its potential.
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

Personally I think the premiere episode will have stellar numbers, but it's the subsequent episodes, after viewers have given it the once over, that will make or break SGU. That's the way it is with any show. Many fans will tune in because a) they'll watch anything Stargate, or b) they're giving it a chance despite trepidation. There will be a number of sG1/SGA fans who will simply not watch it - promos haven't enticed them. None of the actors appeal, etc.

The biggest problem is that if SGU doesn't become this monster hit that Skyffy predicts, what will happen to the Stargate franchise in general?

I'm an on the fence fan. Skyffy could send me SGU toilet paper, mousepads, keychains, etc. etc. but unless the show itself is enticing, all the promotion in the world won't help. If it did, I'd be a BSG fan, but I tried it, just didn't care for it.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    Personally I think the premiere episode will have stellar numbers, but it's the subsequent episodes, after viewers have given it the once over, that will make or break SGU. That's the way it is with any show. Many fans will tune in because a) they'll watch anything Stargate, or b) they're giving it a chance despite trepidation. There will be a number of sG1/SGA fans who will simply not watch it - promos haven't enticed them. None of the actors appeal, etc.

The biggest problem is that if SGU doesn't become this monster hit that Skyffy predicts, what will happen to the Stargate franchise in general?

I'm an on the fence fan. Skyffy could send me SGU toilet paper, mousepads, keychains, etc. etc. but unless the show itself is enticing, all the promotion in the world won't help. If it did, I'd be a BSG fan, but I tried it, just didn't care for it.
                    It will be the end of the Stargate franchise for awhile if not forever.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                      There is a lot of hostility towards SGU, from different sides. On one side you have the Atlantis fans who feel betrayed, and who feel this show will never live up to Atlantis. On the other, you have non-Stargate people who still associate this show very closely with the previous two, despite it seeming very different. I wouldn't worry about that stupid poll, the comments on sites other than Gateworld from people who aren't taking the time to learn enough about SGU are what should be more troubling, the people who still think it will be Stargate:90210 or some poor man's BSG, despite the fact that it has some fantastic actors, set designs, and seemingly storylines too (I would place Carlyle above the BSG cast, and I love most of the BSG cast, and I've heard fantastic things about Ming-Na and even the newbies).

Luckily, this show is being promoted better than it's siblings, and I expect a lot of people will tune in, and will enjoy it and stick with it, seeing that all this boll***s from certain corners is just unfounded bitterness.
                      I hope you're right! This is the first new show I've been excited about in a while.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        It will be the end of the Stargate franchise for awhile if not forever.
                        I doubt that will happen. Whether it will be 10 years or 20 years later, you will have a 'J. J. Abrams' come along and will do it over.

In today's day and age, people tend to redo a classic for various reasons. We have seen this done many times around this time.

Battlestar Galactica is an example and right now they are redoing the V series, which was an '80s sci fi show. The same may be done for Stargate down the road most likely.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                        and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Originally posted by :Orion Coran: View Post
                          I doubt that will happen. Whether it will be 10 years or 20 years later

Battlestar Galactica is an example and right now they are redoing the V series, which was an '80s sci fi show. The same may be done for Stargate down the road most likely.
                          If it does get cancelled in it's first season (which I doubt will happen), the franchise will be dead in the water.

For whatever reason, the Stargate franchise has always been something that some critics/people don't respect or pay attention to. Honestly, I doubt we'd see anyone try and reboot/remake it as quickly as they did with Star Trek or even BSG.
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
                            If it does get cancelled in it's first season (which I doubt will happen), the franchise will be dead in the water.

For whatever reason, the Stargate franchise has always been something that some critics/people don't respect or pay attention to. Honestly, I doubt we'd see anyone try and reboot/remake it as quickly as they did with Star Trek or even BSG.
                            Roughly 30 years (BSG) is a long time. Who knows what could happen during that time?

EDIT: The 10 or 20 years was just an example. It may not or probably wouldn't be something like that. Those were just numbers I threw out there in my above post.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                            and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

I do hope SGU won't be a nail in the stargate coffin, but even if it isnt a success, SG1 movies and SGA movies will still probably continue.

I also do hope no one remakes Stargate in their own vision in ten to twenty years. I really dislike the idea of people redoing something that was perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                                I also do hope no one remakes Stargate in their own vision in ten to twenty years. I really dislike the idea of people redoing something that was perfect.
                                All drink to that
                                Made by the wonderful Lahela

Comment

Working...
                                X