Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
    Not to mention Todd and the other wraith. So much (un)like your average big-muscles low-brain football-player college student and every (but me at the time) teenage girl's fantasy, indeed.
    As a teenager girl I didn't like the sports guys. My older sister balked at the fact that I fell in love with a short guy who didn't have rippling abs. But what does she know? I've been married for 10 years to that guy and she still hasn't got her tall, rippling abs guy to marry her and they have a 9 year old daughter together.
    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      I've never understood the concept of not enjoying surprises and twists in literature...
      I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not masochistic. How do you pay attention to the twists and turns anyway when all you can think of is worrying about the fate of the characters? On the contrary, I enjoy seeing how the things play out, instead of rushing towards the end to reach certainty.
      My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
      Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
      sigpic

Comment

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not masochistic. How do you pay attention to the twists and turns anyway when all you can think of is worrying about the fate of the characters? On the contrary, I enjoy seeing how the things play out, instead of rushing towards the end to reach certainty.
        Would it be bad for you if the character was killed off by surprise?

Like in

Spoiler:
        Torchwood Series 2 or Spooks

For me that's one of the best things, if shows like the two mentioned previously, can avoid releasing spoilers about this, then when it happens its a total shock and you get SO much more out of the episode. The drama is amazing, the emotions are amazing, it's story telling at its best.

There's nothing masochistic about enjoying being kept on the edge of your seat, it makes the relief at the end when (if) the team save the day even more worthwhile.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Now that is interesting! I'm looking forward to see how that works!

Thanks Jumper!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Would it be bad for you if the character was killed off by surprise?
            Like in
            Spoiler:
            Torchwood Series 2 or Spooks
            I don't know either of these shows but I know it would be about as pleasant to me as having some favourite object of mine stolen, or my hard drive crashing and losing data, or seeing my favourite pet die, or learning that a favourite place of mine was destroyed. Definitely not what I call enjoyment.

For me that's one of the best things, if shows like the two mentioned previously, can avoid releasing spoilers about this, then when it happens its a total shock and you get SO much more out of the episode. The drama is amazing, the emotions are amazing, it's story telling at its best.
            There's nothing masochistic about enjoying being kept on the edge of your seat, it makes the relief at the end when (if) the team save the day even more worthwhile.
            I suppose it doesn't help I don't like drama. I avoid angst fanfics as a rule. There is more than enough of it for my taste in the real world just outside my door. What I enjoy most is seeing the characters succeed against impossible odds thanks to their intelligence, resourcefulness and strength of will.

While I can equally enjoy good, bittersweet or bad endings in a standalone movie, and don't mind a meaningful death as the starting point of the story (I won't be attached to the character anyway), it's different in a series which is supposed to continue after the loss. If it happens more than occasionally, it kills my interest in the show. I might still enjoy it, but I certainly won't be attached to it, and probably won't ever again re-watch any episode.
            Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
            sigpic

Comment

I don't know either of these shows but I know it would be about as pleasant to me as having some favourite object of mine stolen, or my hard drive crashing and losing data, or seeing my favourite pet die, or learning that a favourite place of mine was destroyed. Definitely not what I call enjoyment.

I suppose it doesn't help I don't like drama. I avoid angst fanfics as a rule. There is more than enough of it for my taste in the real world just outside my door. What I enjoy most is seeing the characters succeed against impossible odds thanks to their intelligence, resourcefulness and strength of will.

While I can equally enjoy good, bittersweet or bad endings in a standalone movie, and don't mind a meaningful death as the starting point of the story (I won't be attached to the character anyway), it's different in a series which is supposed to continue after the loss. If it happens more than occasionally, it kills my interest in the show. I might still enjoy it, but I certainly won't be attached to it, and probably won't ever again re-watch any episode.
              I literally - and I'm not meaning this in an offensive way - cannot understand that one bit. Spooks (which is a British spy drama about MI5, a bit like 24, but focusing on a team) is one of my favourite shows and is currently on its 7th series, and has had one *cough* God Awful *cough* spin off. It's the story line that makes Spooks so interesting, real world politics, political tension between the US and UK over Iran. It DOES feel great when your heroic team succeeds against impossible odds. But thats made even better by the fact that numerous team members have been lost, ones that people have been attatched.

I don't understand watching a show for comfort - if you KNOW everything will work out in the end, why bother? It's a rare gem these days to find shows that aren't happy to sit in a groove like Stargate is. I enjoy Stargate, I'm a bigger Stargate geek than I am a Spooks geek, but ask me which is the better show, and Spooks wins hands down, as does Torchwood (a British sci fi drama about a secretive 'government' unit that hunts aliens), because anything can happen.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I literally - and I'm not meaning this in an offensive way - cannot understand that one bit. Spooks (which is a British spy drama about MI5, a bit like 24, but focusing on a team) is one of my favourite shows and is currently on its 7th series, and has had one *cough* God Awful *cough* spin off. It's the story line that makes Spooks so interesting, real world politics, political tension between the US and UK over Iran. It DOES feel great when your heroic team succeeds against impossible odds. But thats made even better by the fact that numerous team members have been lost, ones that people have been attatched.
                I don't understand watching a show for comfort - if you KNOW everything will work out in the end, why bother? It's a rare gem these days to find shows that aren't happy to sit in a groove like Stargate is. I enjoy Stargate, I'm a bigger Stargate geek than I am a Spooks geek, but ask me which is the better show, and Spooks wins hands down, as does Torchwood (a British sci fi drama about a secretive 'government' unit that hunts aliens), because anything can happen.
                Spoilers because it goes rather off-topic.
                Spoiler:
                The irony is that the situation is mirrored: I can't understand either how anybody would watch a show for discomfort. I avoid in fiction things I get loads of in real life, especially when they are unpleasant things. I already see despair on the faces of homeless people in the streets; I'm forced to watch war, hatred and death almost every lunch at work because people there turn the news on. Fiction is there to provide me with a much-needed bubble of merciful rest from reality. How could I not want that? Why would I seek willingly things that are already much too present for my taste in real life? On the contrary, I try to escape them to avoid depression.

Honestly, merely imagining Spooks from what you say makes me cringe.
                sigpic

Comment

Spoilers because it goes rather off-topic.
                  Spoiler:
                  The irony is that the situation is mirrored: I can't understand either how anybody would watch a show for discomfort. I avoid in fiction things I get loads of in real life, especially when they are unpleasant things. I already see despair on the faces of homeless people in the streets; I'm forced to watch war, hatred and death almost every lunch at work because people there turn the news on. Fiction is there to provide me with a much-needed bubble of merciful rest from reality. How could I not want that? Why would I seek willingly things that are already much too present for my taste in real life? On the contrary, I try to escape them to avoid depression.

Honestly, merely imagining Spooks from what you say makes me cringe.
                  Spoiler:
                  But you don't watch it for discomfort, you watch it for the same reasons, but the fact that there's a real risk, means when the day is saved and your favourite hero DOES survive, you feel even better. I personally believe fiction is only intelligent if it mirrors reality and doesn't sugar coat things. Let's face it, lord knows how many people have died from SGA - the trouble is we don't KNOW them. Bad things shouldn't just happen to the unfamiliar

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Back on the office today for another day of SGU spinning. We skipped episode 9 (While I like the general premise and think it could be a lot of fun and, really, at the end of the day who doesn’t like fun?, I feel that, unlike the other stories we’ve discussed so far, this one is far more nebulous. Fearing we might well spend our final three days trying to spin a story out of this kernel of an idea, I suggested we move on to #10 and #11 which, at the very least, are somewhat more substantial in comparison) and moved on to the two-parter. I hesitate to call it a two-parter because, the way these episodes have developed so far, there are a threads that run through all the stories, in essence making this season one big 20-parter. Now given that some of you have started comparing SGU to existing shows on the basis of what little information has been released thus far, I thought it might be a good idea to help paint a clearer picture of the show. And so, to those of you looking for standing comparisons, I’d say more Lost than Battlestar, more Dr. Who than Heroes, more The Office than My Name Is Earl.
                    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...niverse-day-7/
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Thank you Jumper!

Wow! Not that I needed the comparisons, they've certainly knocked my interest and excitement level up another notch! Those series that Joe is comparing Stargate: Universe next to are ALL awesome and amazing and I can't wait to see how they all mix together into one! Brilliantly I'm sure!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

"And so, to those of you looking for standing comparisons, I’d say more Lost than Battlestar, more Dr. Who than Heroes, more The Office than My Name Is Earl."

Oh, great...

Comment

Lost? oh crap
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Lost is brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              Lost is brilliant.
                              Lost was brilliant, first 3 seasons were great, but now...we still know nothing about the island, Dharma, black cloud, Jacob, etc...and still it will run for another two seasons
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

All the more reason to watch and find out

Comment

Working...
                                X