Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
    From the front Gateworld blurb, it seems it's going to be Stargate 90120.
    The show now truely has jumped the shark!!
    i give it one season-tops.
    For me it sounds more like they are aiming for a battlestar galactica like character driven plot.

I very much look forward to this.

Comment

I am very excited about STARGATE UNIVERSE. I think it's going to be fantastic. I love that they are cut of from earth. Thats what I loved about the first season of atlantis. And in Deadalus Variations when that feeling of being cut of was there again I realised that it's been missing and that it's a very importent story element to me.

Being ot there on youre own. To seek out new live and new civilisations. I as you can tell by now a huge Star Trek fan. And I allways wondered how a ship based show by the stargate writers would look like. Now that they finaly doing one I' very excited.

That they want to do more characterdrive storys means for me that they are eying at battlestar galactica.

And about the SLIGHTLY younger I'm not that worried. Docter Who is aimed at 6 year old children and it's still great.

Comment

Stargate SG-1 was aimed at people in their 20s/early 30s.

Stargate: Atlantis was aimed at people (in my opinion) in their teens to 20s.

So if Universe is going to aim younger... what, is it going to be for preteens?!

I mean, come on! The franchise was great the way it was! We need a bit more drama, yes, but I'd prefer more darkness and actually cunninc to just "OMG SHE'S DATING WHO!!??!?!" and if that's what Universe becomes, the show will have lost a fan who once considered Stargate one of the greatest television shows period of all time.

The plot sounds weaker than a pre-"Unending" Asgard shield, and I can't say I'm thrilled with having to use an Ancient stasis pod to wait for '09. I'll give it a shot, but the more news that comes out, the more I worry.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

"We've had great success with 'Enterprise' repeats on Monday night, and there's an appetite for space opera as 'Battlestar' goes away," Sci Fi president Dave Howe said. "There's an opportunity to keep the space opera as part of our programming strategy."

Now that sounds fantastic. Universe is going to be the next great space opra after Galactica.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            Stargate SG-1 was aimed at people in their 20s/early 30s.

Stargate: Atlantis was aimed at people (in my opinion) in their teens to 20s.

So if Universe is going to aim younger... what, is it going to be for preteens?!

I mean, come on! The franchise was great the way it was! We need a bit more drama, yes, but I'd prefer more darkness and actually cunninc to just "OMG SHE'S DATING WHO!!??!?!" and if that's what Universe becomes, the show will have lost a fan who once considered Stargate one of the greatest television shows period of all time.

The plot sounds weaker than a pre-"Unending" Asgard shield, and I can't say I'm thrilled with having to use an Ancient stasis pod to wait for '09. I'll give it a shot, but the more news that comes out, the more I worry.

Well but if you knew Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper and their in my opinion very good writing talent you would now it can't come to that (OMG SHE'S DATING WHO!!??!? etc. ....).

But then agian I alway liked Atlantis better than SG1 and I'm a sucker for Space Ships.

Comment

Umm sounds like a bad rip off of ST Voyager. Man, I hope it is better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by fammann View Post
                For me it sounds more like they are aiming for a battlestar galactica like character driven plot.
                We don't think that a storyline, or a story "universe," should ever end, per se.

That pretty much disagrees with it - to do a BSG kind of story you got to have a projected end in sight, no matter how much padding you manage to stuff in the middle. Somewhere, even if the universe goes on and spin-offs are born, the original story has to end on a definite note. Otherwise it's like saying that you're writing the Lord of the rings but never actually plan for Frodo to go to Mount Doom so you can keep churning out sequels.

Comment

I'm having a bad case of déja vu, here... I've been through all this panic attack thing a few months ago with the Star Trek fandom regarding the new movie that will be out next year. Long-time Trekkers totally panicking all over the place and bashing the new movie when they barely know anything about it...

I must say that this press release is somewhat unnerving though and I don't like much of what I've read about SGU so far and I'm hoping that it doesn't mean what everyone is thinking. On the other hand, it might be a good idea to keep an open mind until we know more. Then we can judge and make a more informed decision as to whether we're gonna watch this new show or not.
                  Last edited by Lady Vaako; 22 August 2008, 09:23 AM.
                  "Great... Last time I came face to face with myself, I ended up kicking my own ass..."

- John Sheppard

Comment

I must say that this press release is somewhat unnerving though and I don't like much of what I've read about SGU so far and I'm hoping that it doesn't mean what everyone is thinking. On the other hand, it might be a good idea to keep an open mind until we know more. Than we can judge and make a more informed decision as to whether we're gonna watch this new show or not.
                    Yeah, disturbing (and insulting!) as that whole thing was, I'm going to hold out hope that the guy doesn't really get what's going on. We've only heard one person speak, who is connected with scifi, not the production. I hope they speak soon, though...

Comment

*fingers (and toes) crossed*

Comment

Fran for sgu!

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                          Fran for sgu!

Fran for PRESIDENT!!!!
                          e-mail(And msn messenger): [email protected]

Gravity can bind my feet, but it can never bind my imagination...

Comment

So, they're changing the formula. I like change but is it still going to be Stargate? I was excited about SGU but after reading that it's going to be aimed at a younger audience, well, I'm not that excited anymore. For me Stargate has always been a show that appeals to audiences of all ages. So what exactly do they mean by a younger audience?

Not going to judge it yet though and I'll remain positive until I've seen the pilot.
                            We're whalers on the moon,
                            We carry a harpoon.
                            But there ain't no whales
                            So we tell tall tales
                            And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              Fran for sgu!

Comment

I wonder if there will still be English speaking humans on these new planets?

(I'm sure this has been speculated on before, but this is a huge thread )
                                Last edited by Randy_Watson; 22 August 2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X