Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kebab Gud View Post
    ba'al wass around til the very end..
    i meant last season with the goa'uld as major baddies...

season 1 of atlantis aired opposite season 8 of SG-1, correct? (i've lost track of the seasons due to that dorked up schedule SciFi had a few yrs back) if so, then it was the last season of SG-1 dealing with the Goa'uld as major baddies, as seasons 9 and 10 focused on the Ori...

unless i've missed something...
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

I hope they just start all over again, granted the 4 races were cool but I think now is the time they built up a new history of other races or entities elsehwere, they can reffer to other events but I think they should meet new people and discover new things.

I honestly think that SGU will show us that the method of the Stargate as it is in the current and past series in just one variation or a group of variants we have seen, who knows what other technology other races use, they didn't say that Gates have to be round stone circles that transport people across space did they, I don't thin we've seen the last incarnation of a Stargate.

I know it roams off into typical sci fi crappyness but who says other races will use an actual tangable Stargate to get around, stargates incorporated into starships unlike hyperdives allow instant travel from one point to another, no need fo gates at certain points, they can design ways to make up new gate addressed as they go in a ship, the ships themselves could infact be gates that we have never before seen, or ships that have gates on them and can alter their position with technology to update the network and teams can gate from ships wherever they be?

I know it's just one idea but the possibilities are indeed endless
      sigpic
      In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar 2.0 View Post
        I hope they just start all over again, granted the 4 races were cool but I think now is the time they built up a new history of other races or entities elsehwere, they can reffer to other events but I think they should meet new people and discover new things.

I honestly think that SGU will show us that the method of the Stargate as it is in the current and past series in just one variation or a group of variants we have seen, who knows what other technology other races use, they didn't say that Gates have to be round stone circles that transport people across space did they, I don't thin we've seen the last incarnation of a Stargate.

I know it roams off into typical sci fi crappyness but who says other races will use an actual tangable Stargate to get around, stargates incorporated into starships unlike hyperdives allow instant travel from one point to another, no need fo gates at certain points, they can design ways to make up new gate addressed as they go in a ship, the ships themselves could infact be gates that we have never before seen, or ships that have gates on them and can alter their position with technology to update the network and teams can gate from ships wherever they be?

so you want them to rewrite the "science" behind the stargate technology?

i sincerely doubt that that's going to happen... i expect, based on what's been learned/released so far, that we're going to see the Stargate used in the same manners in which it is now: 7 chevrons for stellar travel, 8 for galactic, 9 goes to the ship, ground-based gates, space gates, gates with 38 chevrons, ones with 36, carved stone, LEDs, maybe LCDs? etc etc...
        sure, we might see a new version, a "3rd generation stargate" (with the PG ones being 2nd generation)

but i think the real focus of SGU is going to be on the new semblance of alien civilizations we encounter.

there won't be any ancients (well nothing released suggest there will be)
        no goa'uld
        no wraith
        no asgard
        and hopefully no BLOODY REPLICATORS

we'll see an entirely new hierarchical system of mythology developed that is devoid of Ancient/Alteran interference

maybe, since the
        Spoiler:
        gate-ship was unmanned
        we will see races that worship technology instead of living entities...

what i hope for is that we see the same type of vast new take on mythology and fantasy story telling that we saw with SG-1... that is seriously lacking in SGA

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar 2.0 View Post

SQUARE stargates?!?!?! :O

Comment

i think as long as they stick to the orignal premise of Stargate which was to meet new civilisations and to explore new regions of space, then the series will be great... The whole story line arc thing has taken too much away from Stargate. I haven't seen any large amount of new cultures or civilisations pop up in Atlantis at all... we see the same groups (Genii) on all the planets or all cultures reverted due to the onslaught and constant threat of kulling from the wraith. Granted, with an enemy that big, your less likely to find worlds untouched... However I would've expected to see more worlds similar to the World where they were attempting to ascend, or the planet where the "game" was being played between Mckay and Sheppard... The ancients had superior technology, especially defensive, and that should have been exploited in the series for little remote cultures to have been found, with no external contact due to space gates and alike... who's not to say there are occasions where entire planets are "cloaked" with no stargate and only appears on Jumper radars...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

anyway I'm digressing... the Stargate Universe flavour should try to stick more to the orginal flavour of Stargate SG-1 where the intial purpose was to "seek out and explore new areas and civilisations to enhance our own technology and culture..."
            the main story arc should be less primary like in the Stargate seasons 1-4...

Square stargates is just ridiculous, if the Lanteans are the Deployers of stargates in the universe, then expect to see them round...
            The idea that some star ships will be based around stargate technology is very much possible, something similar to MOYA's stardrive activiation from Farscape...

anyways.. the ideas will continue to be thrown around... and the mix of ideas of possibilities is impressive...
            - - - - - - - - - - - -
            - Daniel J. epitomises the STD geek I think... To come from an Intellectual field and then to progress into one of the most Kick ass Characters EVER! Only wish he got to continue the development of that character into Atlantis... meh

Comment

Originally posted by AWD-Aj View Post
              I want to start with i love stargate cause what im about to say will sound the opposite.

This is what i think will happen. We'll show up in the new galaxy come across the Furlings( or equivilent ) and everythings dandy Then these ugly bad gys pop up and want galactic domination. At which point the furlings will be all " we're not into the whole violence thing" or " we turned away from technology so really we're just giant pandas with sticks". We ( the good guys ) will then say " okay we'll take on yet another advanced hostile alien race with thousands of troops and ships with our 50 men and a battlecruiser. Then for some reason the bad guys cant come destroy the Earth dudes yet because a) they cant find them, b) there the middle of a civil war c) there fighting another advanced race who's just evil - introducing a new race or d) all of the previous. If anyones seen space above and beyond then they have to agree that was the best sci fi series to show a interstellar war other than maybe star wars.
              That was hilarious. Okay now on about Stargate Universe. I donot think that the Show will work. There are other advanced races out there that will not let some random automated alien ship from another galaxy, place alien technology on their homeworld. For 10,000 years !! The ancient ship is supposedly gathering resources and establishing star charts according to each galaxy's reference frame to build stargates and then place those gates throughout different galaxies. That takes time and energy output. I'm positive other races would notice this and take action.

Comment

well imo ppl who watch and who like atlantis will like universe because it will be the same. it will be atlantis all over just without being stuck in one galaxy.

basicly they will have their atlantis that is flying around all the time and 90% of enemies will be won(or in this case evaded) by flying to the next galaxy - it will be OK

well that is what i think is going to happen

Comment

Originally posted by usernr1337 View Post
                  well imo ppl who watch and who like atlantis will like universe because it will be the same. it will be atlantis all over just without being stuck in one galaxy.

basicly they will have their atlantis that is flying around all the time and 90% of enemies will be won(or in this case evaded) by flying to the next galaxy - it will be OK

well that is what i think is going to happen
                  i hope and pray to every god that you are 100% wrong

i like Atlantis

but to do a show like "atlantis all over" will be 100% lame...
                  in order to be completely successful, SGU must be a reinvention of the Stargate concept (and no, i don't mean the chapa'ai) i mean a new fresh and original concept for the Stargate show...

Atlantis is already a weak retread of SG-1
                  to have a retread of a retread is bad

just look at Multiplicity: a copy of a copy...

Comment

Yeah Universe has to break the rules, make itself new. no missions, no base of operations. Just a lone ship, several thousand stargates being made. I am really wondering how they will get several seasons out of it though. I cant think of any. =/

Comment

I am going to be as positive about Universe as I can, until something changes that. I'm really hoping that it will be good for the SG franchise.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        I am going to be as positive about Universe as I can, until something changes that. I'm really hoping that it will be good for the SG franchise.
                        Here here! I think that any spin-off from any series can only help to build and expand on any franchise's mythology. Stargate: Universe can do this too whilst keeping itself unique and fresh so we won't feel like we're watching a Carbon Copy of either Stargate SG-1 or Stargate: Atlantis.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                          so you want them to rewrite the "science" behind the stargate technology?
                          There's nothing wrong with a rewrite if its for the sake of getting out a good story. Im sure TPTB won't be bogged down by SG-1/A but they will unleash their creative juices to give us something even more interesting!

There can be more than one science to do something, after all..
                          http://www.scirev.net/ - My Dr Who fanfics, many crossing over with Stargate & Sliders
                          sigpic
                          My fics at my site
                          Other fanfics on fanfiction.net --includes a new SGU/Space:1999 crossover, as well as the Dalek Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by scirev View Post
                            There's nothing wrong with a rewrite if its for the sake of getting out a good story. Im sure TPTB won't be bogged down by SG-1/A but they will unleash their creative juices to give us something even more interesting!

There can be more than one science to do something, after all..
                            REWRITING the science of the stargate would serve only to destroy everything that was set up in SG1 and SGA...

change for the sake of change is never really a good idea

now ADDING science to the stargate... that's different

but CHANGING it is a very bad idea...

trust me, they won't be doing that... they're not idiots

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                              REWRITING the science of the stargate would serve only to destroy everything that was set up in SG1 and SGA...

change for the sake of change is never really a good idea

now ADDING science to the stargate... that's different

but CHANGING it is a very bad idea...

trust me, they won't be doing that... they're not idiots
                              If something happens and the whole rules of physics of the universe get altered for some reason, then yes it would be very very interesting..
                              so yes I would see it as a fantastic idea.

Nothing wrong with CHANGING, for me, if it's done in a logical way and explained properly.
                              Just to compare, it's like when the timeline gets altered and they have to restore it.
                              Perhaps something happens to the laws of physics (someone manages to alter them!) and the Stargate stops working... how do they get out of this one?
                              Last edited by scirev; 09 June 2008, 05:54 AM.
                              http://www.scirev.net/ - My Dr Who fanfics, many crossing over with Stargate & Sliders
                              sigpic
                              My fics at my site
                              Other fanfics on fanfiction.net --includes a new SGU/Space:1999 crossover, as well as the Dalek Stargate

Comment

the stargate itself does not need to be changed...

at all...

it DOES need to be brought back into the fold, though, as its almost been all but eliminated from SGA...

stuff like the space gates in PG... or the Supergates... or the Pegasus Stargate 2.0 upgrade version are cool, and well executed improvements...

i'd be more than welcome to things like that...

like perhaps a Stargate 3.0 version... new color scheme, new layout or portrayal of the glyphs (carved in SG1 vs LED in SGA), etc... but not rewrite the laws of stargate physics, thus RETCONNING all of SG-1...

that's just indiciative of poor writing: since you can't improve on the past, delete it and start over...

sure it's necessary sometimes, like DC comics in the 80s, but if they're going for a new show, why not go for a new story concept (which they have) that builds upon what's already been laid out in SG1 and SGA... why hit the giant RED retcon button?

there's no need for it... plus it will serve only to taint SG1 and SGA...

Comment

Working...
                                X