Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGASG! View Post
    I think the ship will only be the place were they sleep. They will probably off exploring planets and galaxies through the use of the stargate onboard the second ship. At least I hope this is what it is going to be.
    i see that happening aswell
    sigpic
    Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
    Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by Julia_J1 View Post
      If its set on a ship why is it called starGATE universe?

It sounds silly to me.

But tptb have been trying for years to get away from using the Gate and have kewl spaceships.

They don't seem to realise that the Stargate is what makes Stargate unique. If I wanted to watch spaceships I would watch Star Trek, or Andromedia, or Firefly, or Red Dwarf, or any number of other shows.

JMO.

JJ
      Like someone else has said, this is a ship-based show, however, they will still go and explore using the Stargate, I don't even think they will have control over the ship (it's an automated ship....can we reverse that?)

And this is like Voyager, but exactly how? Voyager they got lost, in a distant galaxy, they had a ship they could control....they could actually have enemies and keep them for the entire series.

However, Stargate Universe, they have a ship (possibly they can't control it), they have a Stargate (which they will use to go an explore the other gates), they could have enemies maybe for one season, but if the ship is going and going for millions of years....and is automated...I don't see us having an enemy for long. Unless they chase us, which who knows, is possible.

The premise is the same, but a lot can change.

Also, what if we get there, the ship is damaged and loosing life support, and we have to gate to the nearest planet, and are completly stranded with no human ship to save us, no base at all....

Hmm, then it's no longer like Star Trek Voyager, and more like Lost...

You see? We just know the premise of the show, we can't knwo for sure if it's going to be like Voyager...

Comment

Originally posted by Julia_J1 View Post
        If its set on a ship why is it called starGATE universe?

It sounds silly to me.

But tptb have been trying for years to get away from using the Gate and have kewl spaceships.

They don't seem to realise that the Stargate is what makes Stargate unique. If I wanted to watch spaceships I would watch Star Trek, or Andromedia, or Firefly, or Red Dwarf, or any number of other shows.

JMO.

JJ
        Well, no. Some would say that the thing that makes Stargate unique is that it involves modern-day humans instead of some futuristic group of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
          Hmm, then it's no longer like Star Trek Voyager, and more like Lost...
          that would be awesome

Comment

I find the idea to be quite weird actually, and maybe even dumb. However. I do think them waiting to do it after Atlantis will be a good thing. They can start planning out story arcs now, rather then having to make things up on the fly. Enemies, characters, and allies. So, they could turn this concept that I have doubts about, and turn it into something awesome.

Comment

i won't have an opinion until i actually see it. hell, i thought the i dea of sg-1 was dumb until i saw it, and it's my favorite show. so: "don't knock it until you rock it"
              Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
                i won't have an opinion until i actually see it. hell, i thought the i dea of sg-1 was dumb until i saw it, and it's my favorite show. so: "don't knock it until you rock it"
                Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  Well, no. Some would say that the thing that makes Stargate unique is that it involves modern-day humans instead of some futuristic group of people.
                  I would argue the reason Stargate could be unique in the first place - by using modern day humans - was because of the stargate.
                  It allowed interplanetary travel while limiting itself to current real world Earth technology - stargate not withstanding - allowing the setting to be now rather than the future.

Admittedly, they're now using an alien spaceship, but seeing as canon has several Earth made ships (and frankly those are not far removed from the "alien" ships) I would say SGU's uniqueness would be lacking unless they actually used the stargate regularly.

ETA: It's arguable that by allowing fantasy, fully functioning, Earth built ships to exist within the Stargate universe you have already moved into a future version of the human race, and disconnected from one of the main points of uniqueness for the franchise.
                  Last edited by smurf; 06 April 2008, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Arguable, yes, but I don't see it. The environment and what they have doesn't matter; it's what these people are, how they act.

And for that, they are still one of us.

Comment

Ah, the new series does sound interesting. Wouldn't mind seeing (after now knowing) what the 9th chevron does! =D Although, so far it just sounds like a typical regular SG1/SGA episode. Like Aurora.

I was actually hoping that they would do it differently, and make the third series a little like how Stargate Infinity is set out. Where a team cannot gate back to earth and practically are on the run through stargates, hunting down who framed 'em etc.. and they could've just thrown in a new galaxy, a few bad guys, weapons and the series would be great.

Comment

Arguable, yes, but I don't see it. The environment and what they have doesn't matter; it's what these people are, how they act.

And for that, they are still one of us.
                        Are you saying that the characters on Star Trek, or Firefly, or Red Dwarf don't act like us? Are they not human with human flaws, human emotions, and human reactions?

All characters, even those set in the future, are based on the state of the human condition now, because they are written by writers living in the now, and very few of those have the imagination to write a regular human character way out there - that is what aliens are for after all.

What makes a character a modern day human is only that they live in the modern day. Otherwise they are just human.

And super-duper Earth spaceships are not modern day.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                          Are you saying that the characters on Star Trek, or Firefly, or Red Dwarf don't act like us? Are they not human with human flaws, human emotions, and human reactions?
                          Well, they're certainly not the kind of people I can imagine living on Earth right now, no (well, maybe Lister, but RD is a comedy so it's allowed to make less sense like that ). For me, they're not relatable. Though to be fair, I never really watched a lot of Firefly. It's just too far removed from the world I know to relate to (and the horribly-mispronounciations of Mandarin was a turnoff, given that I'm Mandarin). Even if Stargate's setting is becoming futuristic, they started out basic, and that's a connection that's been there ever since, IMHO.

Obviously the characters in those shows are human (well, most of them are), but there's a subtle difference between writing human characters that came from the modern day and writing for humans who came from the 24th century.

All characters, even those set in the future, are based on the state of the human condition now, because they are written by writers living in the now, and very few of those have the imagination to write a regular human character way out there - that is what aliens are for after all.
                          Oh, but they can certainly try. Perhaps my initial statement is inaccurate though; I think what I really wanted to say was that the humor was relatable beyond all else. I don't need to hear the joke about the gorilla and the tandaran, or how a Bajoran Vedek, a Klingon Warrior, and a Romulan spy walked into Quarks or whatever. I hated it when they did that kind of stuff on Trek.

What makes a character a modern day human is only that they live in the modern day. Otherwise they are just human.

And super-duper Earth spaceships are not modern day.
                          But again, the aesthetics doesn't matter. No matter what they have around, the characters in Stargate came from our world, they ARE modern day humans despite what situations they find themselves in.

Comment

Well, they're certainly not the kind of people I can imagine living on Earth right now, no (well, maybe Lister, but RD is a comedy so it's allowed to make less sense like that ). For me, they're not relatable. Though to be fair, I never really watched a lot of Firefly. It's just too far removed from the world I know to relate to (and the horribly-mispronounciations of Mandarin was a turnoff, given that I'm Mandarin). Even if Stargate's setting is becoming futuristic, they started out basic, and that's a connection that's been there ever since, IMHO.

<snip>

But again, the aesthetics doesn't matter. No matter what they have around, the characters in Stargate came from our world, they ARE modern day humans despite what situations they find themselves in.
                            I suppose it's what you consider modern day. If I'm reading this right, it appears you need to be able to directly relate to their POV and references, whereas to me it's the sense of being logically realistic in the here and now - in particular the scientific and social sense.

The argument is that if the Stargate franchise is now in a futuristic setting - which I think once Earth spaceships start appearing it is - then IMO it's not modern day since their environment is not the here and now. No matter that they happen to come from planet Earth, and in particular the western part of it.
                            And without the modern day aspect then part of the franchise's uniqueness is missing.

Or, another way of looking at it, if you removed the pop culture references what makes the characters any different from any other sci-fi character?

Comment

The fact that President Hayes hasn't bogged us down in Iraq makes it wildly different from Modern Day Earth in and of itself.
                              Theoretically spoilerish:
                              Spoiler:
                              Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

The premise of the show doesn't make any logical sense.

The experiment is "to send a ship across the universe, and to send one ahead of it to seed the galaxies with Stargates, and that they would one day use the ninth chevron to get there [to the ship]. And that's what Stargate Universe is."
                                To plant Stargates and set up a network of them in one galaxy would require mapping a large portion of that galaxy which is pretty much impossible for one ship to accomplish. Exploration with a second ship is unnecessary because you have already charted enough habitable worlds to establish a gate system and in the process the automated ship has accumulated a large amount of data, which only needs to be sent back to the Ancients, they do not need to go out and repeat this.

These gates networks will also directly affect the development of any intelligent species which happens to live in these galaxies or evolves on a planet on which they are placed. So the Ancients will once again be responsible for interfering with natural evolution/progression of different species.

And if they are going to set up this experiment, why only 2 ships? Did they have a budget to stick to? Were the resources of their (inter)galactic civilisation stretched by this?

Despite my negative attitude towards the whole thing, I probably will watch it. As long as they don't bring back the Replicators again.

Comment

Working...
                                X