Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
    Forgive me if I'm missing the thread on this, but the other Universe thread seems to have been locked. Is discussion of this new series meant to be discontinued for the moment?

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on the nice scoop Darren got on the main page from Brad Wright about this new series.

I have to say, it strikes me as an enormous disappointment and a total waste of what has been one of the series' most fun and most interest-drawing unanswered questions: what does the 9th chevron do?

Obviously, this is still very early in development and, should the premise remain unchanged, I'd give the show a fair shot rather than making a summary judgment without having seen the thing, but I have to say, as soon as I read the blurb about it, I thought: "That just sounds... dumb."

So, fellow skeptics and disagreeing likers of said promise, discuss...

I reckon it sounds pretty cool. I have always wondered how the Ancients put stargates on so many planets and it looks like we are going to learn how they did it. IMO the Ancients are one of the most interesting races in stargate and stargate universe might show a bit more of their past which would be nice.
    sigpic

Comment

The main thread about it is here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=53690

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        The main thread about it is here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=53690
        Ah! Under NEWS! That's why I missed it.

Thanks.

Feel free, obviously, to merge or remove this thread, mods.
        Theoretically spoilerish:
        Spoiler:
        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

As for the 9th chevron; well, I haven't looked into that thread dedicated to it, but it seems that there are only 3 options: it allows us to go even FURTHER out (which is basically what this is); it allows us to travel through time, which is stupid, since we have seen Ancients time travel before without using the Gate and the vast majority of them oppose messing with the timeline; and traversing alternate realities, which basically makes any show based on it a complete rip off of Sliders.

Comment

All right, I have wanted to have a good debate/discussion about this for a LONG BUTT time.

At any rate, here it goes...

I think this is a great idea. Why, you ask? Because this allows us to go where the Ancients have never been. We could make some of the most powerful allies ever, possible some of the most horrible, evil enemy we ever met -- or, more likely, both.

And hopefully, we will learn more about the Ancients.

:-D Thats why this idea rocks. Does it need work? Yes! But thats why this is still in it's early stages. And I bet when the new writers do get hired, cuz they said they were "proabable going to" hire new ones, I bet even more will change and get developed.

and KindlyKeller, I applaud you for saying you weren't making any judgements until you seen the show. I hate ppl who judge a product before they test it.

Comment

i think that stargate universe doesnt sound that good either they could have done so much more
              The BC-304... Just Try And Stop Us Now!

sigpic

Comment

As i have said before in another thread, the premise does not impress me. I always thought the ninth chevron would lead somewhere extremely intersting, a ship just doesnt seem as interesting but there is still time to work on the premise. The story could get more interesting in the future....

Comment

A ship is not interesting.

A ship heading towards distant galaxies untouched by man or Ancient is VERY interesting, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    A ship is not interesting.

A ship heading towards distant galaxies untouched by man or Ancient is VERY interesting, IMHO.
                    And now for Stargate Voyager!.....Sorry Universe. I'm sure it will be good, it's just that Voyager was what sprang to mind after reading the story and I felt I needed to share

Comment

Well, it's great but...
                      It's still a concept and probably still far away, if you only think about the storyline: you need a zpm to connect to another galaxy, this ship is even further away, so it's almost necessary that they know how to make zpm's or an evenly powerfull generator. But if they can do that, then the storyline for atlantis is over, because they would have nothing to worry about and have far superior ships. Since atlantis is still popular, it will take a while before they stop that show.
                      Another problem is food, ok they could have trade partners as in atlantis, but that would probably be more difficult.
                      Third problem: defence, they will have no ships to help them(at least no earth made) because the this ship has been away for millions of years, and that with hyperdrive(probably, how else would it get far, even at lightspeed, earth ships would be able to get there fast with zpms: 200 million lightyear away, but 3 million lightyears only takes four days (with zpm)), no way they will be able to send help.
                      In other words, even with much fantasy, it would still take a very long time till the story is ready for production...

Comment

If its set on a ship why is it called starGATE universe?

It sounds silly to me.

But tptb have been trying for years to get away from using the Gate and have kewl spaceships.

They don't seem to realise that the Stargate is what makes Stargate unique. If I wanted to watch spaceships I would watch Star Trek, or Andromedia, or Firefly, or Red Dwarf, or any number of other shows.

JMO.

JJ

Comment

Originally posted by Julia_J1 View Post
                          If its set on a ship why is it called starGATE universe?

It sounds silly to me.

But tptb have been trying for years to get away from using the Gate and have kewl spaceships.

They don't seem to realise that the Stargate is what makes Stargate unique. If I wanted to watch spaceships I would watch Star Trek, or Andromedia, or Firefly, or Red Dwarf, or any number of other shows.

JMO.

JJ

there is a stargate on the ship

Comment

I like the idea sounds so diffrent from the sg1 and atlantis the ships will be exploring old and new areas of the universe making for so many stories and and races
                            sigpic
                            Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                            Metal gear fan

Comment

i like the whoel premise of the show but it might be a little like star trek. i like the whole idea of exploring how the ancients did things but for some reason i don't really see the show doing to many seasons. hey maybe the furlings are commanding the ship

Comment

I think the ship will only be the place were they sleep. They will probably off exploring planets and galaxies through the use of the stargate onboard the second ship. At least I hope this is what it is going to be.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X