Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can anyone help me remember what ep i got this avatar from?

not much to go on but i need the full size pic again
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      can anyone help me remember what ep i got this avatar from?
      http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...4/c28997e7.jpg

not much to go on but i need the full size pic again
      Sorry, no idea. Have you tried getting help from the thunk thread?
      sigpic

Comment

Brad Wright: "I don’t think if we for any reason go away, it is an issue necessarily of the quality of the product that we’ve been making. I think getting moved on the schedule has hurt us. And the fact that some of the fans that liked SG-1 and Atlantis were so angry that they have deliberately hurt us, which is unfortunate."

Nice job "haters", you killed Stargate forever. I hope you're glad.

We had a good semi-hard sci-fi series on TV for once, and it gets cancelled right when it gets awesome. Guess we should all be watching wrestling instead. At least Game of Thrones has started now.
        My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
          Brad Wright: "I don’t think if we for any reason go away, it is an issue necessarily of the quality of the product that we’ve been making. I think getting moved on the schedule has hurt us. And the fact that some of the fans that liked SG-1 and Atlantis were so angry that they have deliberately hurt us, which is unfortunate."

We had a good semi-hard sci-fi series on TV for once, and it gets cancelled right when it gets awesome. Guess we should all be watching wrestling instead. At least Game of Thrones has started now.
          I can sympathise. I'm sad not only at the passing of SGU and the Stargate franchise as a whole but unfortunately I'm also a bit annoyed at the lack of faith in TPTB that fans have displayed. Fans who didn't think on and realise that by abandoning and hurting SGU they were also hurting any future prospects of more movies. So not only have those fans who couldn't stick out SGU got their wish and killed the show after 2 seasons...as a side-effect they've also killed a 17-year old franchise. Who can blame TPTB for pulling the plug? If the numbers are down with viewers then it sends them a message that there's a lack of interest in the franchise.

Result? SGU - CANCELLED. SG-1 movie - CANCELLED. Atlantis movie - CANCELLED. SGU movie - CANCELLED. SG-1/Atlantis/Universe crossover movie - CANCELLED. Why should TPTB put more money in to franchise that no-one seems to care about any more. Fans have royally shot themselves in the feet.

Best we can hope for? Reboot at SOMETIME in the future. Reboot, to me, means going back over everything that's already been done brilliantly before and casting new people to play all our favourite characters. No more Richard Dean Anderson. No more Amanda Tapping. No more anyone from before.

No more.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            I can sympathise. I'm sad not only at the passing of SGU and the Stargate franchise as a whole but unfortunately I'm also a bit annoyed at the lack of faith in TPTB that fans have displayed. Fans who didn't think on and realise that by abandoning and hurting SGU they were also hurting any future prospects of more movies. So not only have those fans who couldn't stick out SGU got their wish and killed the show after 2 seasons...as a side-effect they've also killed a 17-year old franchise. Who can blame TPTB for pulling the plug? If the numbers are down with viewers then it sends them a message that there's a lack of interest in the franchise.

Result? SGU - CANCELLED. SG-1 movie - CANCELLED. Atlantis movie - CANCELLED. SGU movie - CANCELLED. SG-1/Atlantis/Universe crossover movie - CANCELLED. Why should TPTB put more money in to franchise that no-one seems to care about any more. Fans have royally shot themselves in the feet.

Best we can hope for? Reboot at SOMETIME in the future. Reboot, to me, means going back over everything that's already been done brilliantly before and casting new people to play all our favourite characters. No more Richard Dean Anderson. No more Amanda Tapping. No more anyone from before.

No more.
            on the other hand, TPTB chose to disassociate from previous shows in the franchise, and write a show that they didn't know whether fans would be receptive or not. they then chose to make clear that SGU would be different, and that it was up to the fans to accept that or walk away.

fans who don't enjoy SGU aren't responsible for the death of the franchise - those who made the decisions which led to fans being upset are. those decisions alienated the fans who would, ultimately, be among those TPTB would depend upon for the future.

to blame people who are unhappy with those decisions, and who chose instead to walk away, is to refuse to acknowledge the reasons they were unhappy. reasons which, ultimately, would need to be considered anyway if the franchise was to continue.

now, i'll admit some of the angry reactions were a bit too far over the top - i believe there were a number of people clamouring for the deaths of not only characters, but actors. characters i have no issue with, but blaming the actors wasn't appropriate - they did a job, which didn't include making the decisions.

the underlying issues were ignored by TPTB, who refused to accept that numerous long-standing fans of the franchise could possibly have a valid opinion on what the problems were. in fact some of the responses from TPTB were less than flattering - iirc, it was brad wright who said, and i paraphrase, "people who don't understand universe aren't intelligent enough to understand." calling your critics stupid isn't a good thing, if you're hoping to change people's minds about what you've done to the show.

to expect people to continue with a show they aren't happy with is to expect them to inflate viewership numbers, implying a popularity that does not, in reality, exist among those people. that, in turn, leads to TPTB believing that their decisions are sound and that everyone is happy with what has been done - which, clearly, is false.
            Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
              the underlying issues were ignored by TPTB, who refused to accept that numerous long-standing fans of the franchise could possibly have a valid opinion on what the problems were.
              Bit they don't have a "valid opinion". They have an opinion, but to think it's any more valid than anyone else who watches TV smacks of entitlement issues.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                Bit they don't have a "valid opinion". They have an opinion, but to think it's any more valid than anyone else who watches TV smacks of entitlement issues.
                i said nothing about being 'more' valid than anyone else - but TPTB may as well have said it was less valid.

certainly, if they felt they had more valid concerns than others, i'd agree - entitlement issues. but they've a right to be heard, equally to the people who will show their support. for TPTB to simply discard them, then complain that people have no faith in them, indicates that TPTB have entitlement issues - believing they have a right to expect people to have faith in them, when they won't actually acknowledge those people.

from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/valid :

val·id   
                [val-id]
                –adjective
                sound; just; well-founded: a valid reason.
                certainly, by definition, people who have expressed a valid opinion. people ranting about it without a reason, ok, not a valid opinion - but that's what TPTB have tried to imply.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                  i said nothing about being 'more' valid than anyone else - but TPTB may as well have said it was less valid.

certainly, if they felt they had more valid concerns than others, i'd agree - entitlement issues. but they've a right to be heard, equally to the people who will show their support. for TPTB to simply discard them, then complain that people have no faith in them, indicates that TPTB have entitlement issues - believing they have a right to expect people to have faith in them, when they won't actually acknowledge those people.

from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/valid :

certainly, by definition, people who have expressed a valid opinion. people ranting about it without a reason, ok, not a valid opinion - but that's what TPTB have tried to imply.
                  TPTB have the right to make the shows they want to make and to take them in the directions they want to take (have a look at the SGA S5 folders and you'll see how I felt about that, but I readily acknowledge that it my personal taste that was at odds). To take the franchise in a new direction is their prerogative. The fans on sites like this make up a tiny proportion of viewers and fans have no more valid reason for creating hate campaigns than the ones who create love campaigns. Feeling disenfranchised does not make one special. We matter squat in the grand scheme, but hate campaigns do hurt shows, just as love campaigns help. It's a question of whose voice is the loudest (which is no reflection on who is right/wrong/bigger/faster/whatever).

If you had a bunch of loudmouths talking down your every move all over the internet, wouldn't you feel a little put out?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                    TPTB have the right to make the shows they want to make and to take them in the directions they want to take
                    i don't dispute that in the slightest - but attacking people for disliking it, and expecting them to watch it regardless is a bit stupid, especially with such a change. and to say that the only opinion that matters is that of TPTB is obviously mistaken - viewers are important, and if the direction the show goes in is one that viewers don't want - they'll walk. TPTB are depending on holding viewers... they have to choose how. and attacking people was not a good move for them.

The fans on sites like this make up a tiny proportion of viewers and fans have no more valid reason for creating hate campaigns than the ones who create love campaigns. Feeling disenfranchised does not make one special. We matter squat in the grand scheme, but hate campaigns do hurt shows, just as love campaigns help. It's a question of whose voice is the loudest (which is no reflection on who is right/wrong/bigger/faster/whatever).
                    i say again, they have the right to be heard equally. criticism - and there is a lot of it constructive - is at least as important to any job that gets feedback as the support is. criticism shows where certain aspects may be improved - and not necessarily at the expense of anything else in the show.

and while people on the net are a small number of viewers, the rather noticeable lack of viewers has contributed to universe being taken off the air. viewers ARE the grand scheme - without them, shows cannot survive. hate campaigns hurt, love campaigns help - if put forward in the appropriate manner. but TPTB calling people stupid for not liking a show is more damaging, in my view at least, than any hate campaign could ever be - because it shows an unprofessional attitude toward the customer, and suggests that they're not important.

If you had a bunch of loudmouths talking down your every move all over the internet, wouldn't you feel a little put out?
                    sure - but if my job was something in the public eye, where people would be responding to it in such a manner, i'd need to be prepared for it. and capable of dealing with it. if i wasn't, then i'd have no right doing the job in the first place. that doesn't mean TPTB have the right to shout at constructive people who have legitimate concerns, when they could instead at least pretend that they'll be considered along with the people who love the show as it is. unprofessional attacks on the customer, however, are not an appropriate response for someone who's been working on the franchise for 15+ years, and won't encourage critics to have any faith whatsoever.

Comment

Later this week, in addition to providing answers to those questions, I’ll also shed some light on the script for Gauntlet, what we had in store for the show’s third season, and what the heck the SGA movie, Stargate: Extinction, was all about.
                      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...c-book-series/
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Wow...if they're releasing that information...it doesn't sound good for anything Stargate in the near future.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                          Wow...if they're releasing that information...it doesn't sound good for anything Stargate in the near future.
                          Yeah. While it would be interesting to read what would've happened, it further proves that Stargate really is done.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                            Yeah. While it would be interesting to read what would've happened, it further proves that Stargate really is done.
                            At least for now...
                            sigpic

Comment

I doubt/hope that Mallozzi will actually reveal how they would have ended it, more likely he will just elaborate on what they had planned for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post

To me SGU sucked HARD when compared to SG1 and SGA, but I watched it nonetheless hoping it would get better as it was coming along. It didn't. Can't really blame anyone that stopped watching it after 3 episodes. It was different from SGA and SG1, and a lot of people might not have liked the differences (I didn't). It is only logical not to watch something you do not like. Anyone with less patience and faith in the show can't really be called a hater, unless you are one of ye olde blind fanboyz. And truth be told, it takes a fanboy to say that SGU wasn't just "barely ok" from the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                                X