No announcement yet.

DVD sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well in the spirit of continuing down the path of side tracking the topic...

"Electron carries a negative charge" is not fact. We do not know for absolute certain if that it's true in all conditions, or that if electrons exist as we define it. All known models of quantum physics break down at the point of big bang, and we don't even know if big bang did in fact, happen.

"Electron carries a negative charge" is technically, a scientific definition, part of a commonly accepted theory on how the world works. That is of course, excluding all variations of anti-matter and positrons.

Much like the Newtonian model of gravity. It may (or may not) be proven false one day. And since we have yet a true working model of everything, that statement may or may not be fact.

While on the human scale it can probably be accepted as "law" and probably will stay true within our life times, I did ask for an "absolute truth"...

If this thread still exists (like that something of yours heh) by the time I post this wall o' text, the notion of "absolute fact" is paradoxical. It was a trick question (well, it wasn't in the form of a question but you get the idea). "Absolute" is a philosophical idea and cannot really be applied for scientific facts. All empirical facts are based upon conditions and assumptions. Absolute means "in every way, shape, or form", which by definition cannot exist in nature.

Anyway, I think it is time to conclude this (rather pointless) discussion. I apologize if anyone was offended by my opinion, however I stand by my views on the movie and opinions regarding aspects of its quality. Also I apologize for getting the thread so far off-topic.

Let us hope that no matter what rank AoT end up in sales, the next film will rank higher than this one both in quality and sales. Agreed?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      Nope. Movies are entertainment, Rob Cooper is not an artist, and neither are the actors, in fact that only people involved who even came close are the art department and Joel Goldsmith, who did an excellent job. The movies exist solely to entertain and make money, and they've done both, this much is fact.
      Very well put.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni View Post
        First off, like all shows and movies, the episode in question went through various incarnations, the name of the episode also went through quite a few changes. "Children of the Gods" is but one of the names it is known for. For me, that episode is in fact titled "season one episode 1". As well, since SG1 is a globally syndicated TV show, the pilot would in fact, have different names in different languages; some might be closer to the original name while others not so much. For example, "MacGyver" in Chinese has nothing to do with MacGyver and in fact does not really sound like MacGyver at all. SG1's title translation is even farther from its source name. Are you saying all Chinese who refer to the SG1 pilot as its Chinese counterpart are false?
        You'd make a good lawyer. Lawyers love to find little loopholes in statements, loopholes that go against the spirit of the law in the first place. Lawyers earned their infamous reputation for a reason, and I think you'd fit right with them.

Even though you probably did not mean for it to be an opinion, you have implied that the only, the one true title that can be used for that episode of SG1 is the English title "Children of the Gods".
        That says more about your interpretive process than what my opinion was (and there wasn't an opinion since it was a purely informative post). At this point, you're making quibbles. Clearly when you observe the episode, it tells you that it's title was "Children of the Gods". This makes it a fact. By definition! I don't have to spell out that it's the English title because a) this is an English website and b) any reasonable person would already have inferred that.

It's as obvious as the fact that you shouldn't need a warning that says "Caution: Oven is hot" or "Do not touch lawnmower blades while it is in operation". Yes, some people need those warning signs but most reasonable people don't. (The mod deleted my more fun version of this paragraph, so I'm putting back in the boring version; there is a point to be made after all by using this analogy).

State one absolute fact then, I dare you.
        [snip]

To the mods, he really doesn't understand what a 'fact' is. I should be allowed to point that out. It's like if someone keeps insisting that 1 + 1 = 3, I should be allowed to say "You don't know how to add." It doesn't do him any favours to keep being deluded into thinking he knows what a 'fact' is, when he clearly doesn't.

Well in the spirit of continuing down the path of side tracking the topic...

"Electron carries a negative charge" is not fact. We do not know for absolute certain if that it's true in all conditions, or that if electrons exist as we define it. All known models of quantum physics break down at the point of big bang, and we don't even know if big bang did in fact, happen.

"Electron carries a negative charge" is technically, a scientific definition, part of a commonly accepted theory on how the world works. That is of course, excluding all variations of anti-matter and positrons.

Much like the Newtonian model of gravity. It may (or may not) be proven false one day. And since we have yet a true working model of everything, that statement may or may not be fact.

While on the human scale it can probably be accepted as "law" and probably will stay true within our life times, I did ask for an "absolute truth"...
        You're confusing theory with fact. You really should learn the difference between fact and theory by reviewing your science textbooks. To the mods, again: his misconceptions are very elementary and are fully covered in any book on the scientific method, so I should be allowed to say that. In fact, censoring that last sentence is much more disrespectful to him than "Time to review your science textbooks" since you're implying that he's incapable of handling advice that he should follow.
        Last edited by 1138; 30 March 2008, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          Ark of truth sold 191,000 copies in it's first week.
          As usual, I'm a stickler for detail. The footnote of the website you refer to says:

Precise information on DVD sales is not generally available. Our DVD sales figures are estimates based on studio figures, publicly available data, and private research on retail sales carried out by Nash Information Services.
          So, it's just their estimate. That is just one source Videobusiness, which Entertainment Weekly uses, had the DVD ranked 9th.

Ultimately, the only people who will know what the sales are will be MGM. Everyone else is just estimating.

Comment

AoT up to 4 on amazon again.....

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Airsoftguy View Post
              Good to hear...and even better to see that this thread got back on topic! Thanks Airsoftguy!

Comment

Originally posted by Airsoftguy View Post
                I'm just really glad to see AOT continuing to do so well. This is really great news.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

US DVD Sales: $5,936,877
                  Rental Gross: $2,970,000

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGAT.php
                  http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/rentals
                  Last edited by jenks; 31 March 2008, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I wonder how fast they're going to reach $10,000,000

Comment

A day or so it reaches the international market.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        A day or so it reaches the international market.
                        It's important to go by the amount of units. You also have to remember these are DVDs sold through retailers. MGM makes their money on DVD's shipped. Which could be over 500,000 units now.

The international market will add on a few units here and there. A few million!
                        sigpic

Comment

Cool! Glad to see AoT sales are still doing so well!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                          O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

It looks like The AoT rental revenue has now exceeded $4 million. At this rate it will probably make back its budget in domestic rental revenue alone. Sweet.

Link ---> http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/rentals

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              It's important to go by the amount of units. You also have to remember these are DVDs sold through retailers. MGM makes their money on DVD's shipped. Which could be over 500,000 units now.

The international market will add on a few units here and there. A few million!
                              Well it's already surpassed it's budget so that is a good thing indeed.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

AoT down to 8 on amazon....

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X