Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
    Still that high?! Nice.
    It is only "nice" if the quality of the next film is directly proportional to the sales number...

I mean, would it still be "nice" if "Continuum" turns out to be just as crappy as "Ark of Truth"?

Nice for the MGM execs maybe, but not us the loyal viewers... It is us who make the show, not them!!! We demand quality, originality, and creativity!!!

Or, failing all that, put more features on the DVD... I don't want to buy another episode of SG1 for 20 bucks!!!

Comment

AoT wasn't crappy just because you think it was, loads of people loved it, try to understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandrax View Post
        Well, like the front page says, 4.5 million in sales. Pair that with the reported 1.6 million in rentals, and you get a 6.1 million gross in its first week.

That's damn impressive for a direct-to-DVD title.
        It is impressive. Per IMDB's rental chart for the week ending March 23, http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/rentals , it has made nearly $3 mil in rentals in the U.S. alone. Add the preliminary sales into the mix and you have a film that's alredy in the black in under 2 weeks. Hopefully that will bode well for future films.

BTW, I for one loved AoT. I found it very entertaining, and I feel it served the story that it needed to tell nicely. If people think it felt too rushed, blame SciFi. They are the ones who caused this story to have to be told in one movie versus an entire season. Some have called it SG-1's "Serenity" (although IMHO, AoT is leagues better than the horrible tripe that is Serenity). I really enjoyed AoT, but regardless of how one may feel about AoT, more profit bodes well for the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Maedhros_Sea View Post
          Correct, they are only referencing rentals, and not sales.

K = 1000 M = 1 000 000 G = 1 000 000 000 it goes on, but I'll spare you.
          Originally posted by jenks View Post
          Indeed.

Originally posted by DanJack View Post
          It is impressive. Per IMDB's rental chart for the week ending March 23, http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/rentals , it has made nearly $3 mil in rentals in the U.S. alone. Add the preliminary sales into the mix and you have a film that's alredy in the black in under 2 weeks. Hopefully that will bode well for future films.

BTW, I for one loved AoT. I found it very entertaining, and I feel it served the story that it needed to tell nicely. If people think it felt too rushed, blame SciFi. They are the ones who caused this story to have to be told in one movie versus an entire season. Some have called it SG-1's "Serenity" (although IMHO, AoT is leagues better than the horrible tripe that is Serenity). I really enjoyed AoT, but regardless of how one may feel about AoT, more profit bodes well for the franchise.
          Just my opinion... To me is the same with the series, I don't like all eps of a season but I still watch the show. So, if I want to see, and I WANT!, more Sg1 I'll buy the movie, even if I won't like it. Obviously if EVERY movies will be crap I'll stop buying.
          sigpic
          Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Again a little help.... What it means "Rental Gross"?
            Edit...never mind, understood.
            sigpic
            Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Ark of truth sold 191,000 copies in it's first week. They are still in the top 5 of the amazon.com top 100 DVD sales.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                Ark of truth sold 191,000 copies in it's first week. They are still in the top 5 of the amazon.com top 100 DVD sales.
                Fantastic news

Comment

<snip>

AoT is at best a failed attempt to stir up nostalgia. The plot is nonsensical and the effects forgettable. Just because some are driven by their obsession to convince others that it's a good purchase and that they didn't waste their money, doesn't make it true.

Granted AoT has some good points, but on the whole it is nowhere near some of the better SG1 episodes.
                  Last edited by Skydiver; 28 March 2008, 12:50 PM.

Comment

<snip>

AoT is at best a failed attempt to stir up nostalgia. The plot is nonsensical and the effects forgettable. Just because some are driven by their obsession to convince others that it's a good purchase and that they didn't waste their money, doesn't make it true.

Granted AoT has some good points, but on the whole it is nowhere near some of the better SG1 episodes.
                    All in your opinion, that doesn't make you right and other people wrong or vice versa. The movie is a piece of entertainment, so whether it was good or not is an entirely subjective question. You didn't like it, I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was a great ending to the Ori, neither of us are right, as there is no right or wrong answer. And to say that 'some are driven by their obsession to convince others that it's a good purchase and that they didn't waste their money' is seriously arrogant, do you really think that because you thought it was crap that it must be? And that everyone defending it must be just 'making out as if it's good'?

Comment

<snip>

Anyway, I have noticed that people who like seasons nine and ten liked the movie, and poeple who didnt hated the movie. I happen to be a fan of season nine and ten, even though RDA was not in it. I think they did an excelent job by bringing in Mitchell, and I also enjoyed the movie very much.

And I am not trying to "convince my self that the money wasn't waisted. I say it at a friends house, but it was good enough that I will be buying it for myself.

Spoiler:

Comment

<snip>
                        Anyway, I have noticed that people who like seasons nine and ten liked the movie, and poeple who didnt hated the movie.
                        That makes sense. Fans who like the Ori and Mitchell and Vala and the other changes in s9 and s10 would be more likely to enjoy a movie that features all of those elements. In contrast, I disliked the Ori and s9 and s10 in general, and therefore didn't bother watching AoT. I'm more interested in Continuum.
                        Last edited by Skydiver; 28 March 2008, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          All in your opinion, that doesn't make you right and other people wrong or vice versa. The movie is a piece of entertainment, so whether it was good or not is an entirely subjective question.
                          Nope. Movie is art. And since colleges offer "fine arts" courses, that means arts are not completely subjective and AoT is definitely not "fine". It's not even "good". It is "mediocre art" at best, and "unoriginal, lazy art" at worst.

You may state that "I'm not right", but you forget that doesn't mean that I'm wrong. And if I'm not wrong then there are some truth in what I said.

Personally my problem with the whole thing is not so much the Ori ending, it's pretty much what I expected. However instead of introducing an element of surprise or originality into the story, they opted to regurgitate of all things, the Replicators.

I mean, Replicators are great and all, but it has been done to death (literally). They were introduced in the SECOND SEASON for crying out loud. We've seen one form or another of them in almost every season across both shows. If the movies are just going to be more of the same then why bother?

At the very least the writers should have thought of a more intelligent way of bringing Replicators back. The IOA subplot feels COMPLETELY stupid and ENTIRELY without merrick... I mean merit.

How exactly was he going to "save the galaxy", hmm? By destroying the ONLY ship in the galaxy capable of destroying Ori and stranding (if not killing) the best SG team in known history? Because that's pretty much what almost happened near the end... If Teal'C didn't realize at the last second that Ori staff weapons can break both legs of a table at the same time, then all of Daniel's effort would have been for nothing... NOTHING!!!

Plot devices are okay if they are subtle. But if you blatantly put it on the table (or suspend in stasis field), that's just bad plot composition, and that means BAD art, and BAD movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni View Post

I mean, Replicators are great and all, but it has been done to death (literally). They were introduced in the SECOND SEASON for crying out loud. We've seen one form or another of them in almost every season across both shows. If the movies are just going to be more of the same then why bother?

Actually they were introduced in the Season 3 finale "Nemesis".

As per the opinion of the movie. I take it like a grain of salt. Just like Atlantis Season 4. Some thought it was the worst and some people thought it was the best season to date. It truly is all opinion.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just a reminder that regardless of what you personally believe we here at GW define every post as an *OPINION*. So please remember that even if you believe that your personal post has *facts* in it. We still will view it as your opinion and expect folks to agree or disagree with it as they post their opinions.

Also we expect members to be respectful as well as on topic when discussing all thoughts and opinions.

Thanks You
                              TameFarrar
                              GateWorld Moderator
                              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Since the show was great, whats wrong with it being the same as the show?

AoT at seven on Amazon......

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X