Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and my wife watched it yesterday and we both loved it. I think everyone did a great job and it was a great way to wrap up the story. <mod snip...how about folks concentrate on themselves and stop fussing over what others think>. After watching this one I cant wait for the next.
    Last edited by Skydiver; 16 March 2008, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      I don't ever recall in all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 anybody ever being called an "a******" or exclaiming "sh**" before.
      Go watch the first 5 seasons when they were still on Showtime.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
        Go watch the first 5 seasons when they were still on Showtime.
        I suggest you do the same since I don't recall that at all. The worst I ever heard was O'neill saying Son of a ****!
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Yesterday (Saturday) morning I received my R1 copy of Stargate: The Ark of Truth.

I've watched it and thought it was all right. It was quite entertaining. Like the episodes of Seasons 9 and 10 before this movie there were some really good things to be found and some that weren't.

There were moments whilst watching it when I thought that this storyline would have worked better as a 2-parter as what was being done didn't quite feel big enough and ambitious enough to be a movie. It just felt to me like the production staff had forgotten that they were making a movie and not an episode for TV.
          Really? For me it seemed way bigger and grander than the show. It certainly didn't feel like a regular ep at all.

Basically I'm just glad that the whole Ori storyline has been concluded. I didn't care for it and I honestly couldn't have cared less how they finished it off. They've done it by making it as entertaining as possible with Stargate: The Ark of Truth and now I'm free if it. This movie has served its purpose for me and now I can draw a line under Seasons 9 and 10 and Stargate: The Ark of Truth and move on to the movie I'm *really* excited about and *really* looking forward to - Stargate: Continuum. A movie that I'm sure will feel more like the first excellent eight seasons of Stargate SG-1 and also looks far more ambitious.

Roll on July and Stargate: Continuum!!!

P.S. Why is it when series move into movies the writers think that it gives them licence to write in totally unnecessary swear words?! Is that what they think it takes to make us realise that we're watching a movie?!
          You make some great points but I think they did all that in this movie. It was of grand scale and very well done. As to the swear words it didn't bother me. They weren't unnecessary. Now if it had been the f bomb I'd agree.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I don't ever recall in all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 anybody ever being called an "a******" or exclaiming "sh**" before.
            True, in the TV series, the production was very restrained in the amount of obvious swearing in that regard...however, they were creative with :

Jack's "we're boned again" from "Crossroads" or "he's boned without water" from "Exodus."

And they did use the B word (as GateWorld Forum will #### out the word, meaning illegitimate child) on more than one occassion - in 48 Hours, Meridian,
            The Other Guys -- hmmm, they were all Jack's too.

But I'm with you, Alan. I tend not to swear, and excessive swearing on TV or in a movie makes me turn the channel on the movie or never watch the series again (Deadwood, for example).

Hopefully, the examples of swearing in AoT will be limited to THIS movie only in the Stargate movies.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I thought the movie AOT was great to watch, music was great, it was fun, enjoyable, entertaining, things I look for in a movie. SO kudos to the people involved. Looking forward to Continuum...

Comment

Could I make a request? If anyone has the ability to get screencaps from the movie, could someone try to get a good-quality one of the flame-filled Origin symbol (the one that Adria forms from) head-on with nothing obscuring the view?

Thanks if someone can
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by chazevelt View Post
                  All in all, I liked the movie. I'm one of those pitiful fans who will take whatever I can get as long as it's SG1. Like needing a drink in the desert. This, however, was like baking in a desert and being handed a glass of warm buttermilk: you drink it because you gotta.

It started to lose me when the replicator appeared. Maybe I need to watch it again, but how did the replicator get there? Am I to swallow that the Asgard core just served it up from random parts, following specs on a computer chip? Ala Star Trek computers serving synthahol or food just because you asked for it? (What are those things called? Can't recall.) So did the IOA guy smuggle a single replicator chip aboard as a starting point?

And Sam opening that force field so Cam could blast it. Was none of the other crew armed? Nobody pulled a sidearm to fire at it- just stood there and let it scamper away? Weak means of introducing conflict.

And I felt they dummied-down Sam for plot contrivance: They knew at this point that the IOA had messed with the Asgard core. That meant a computer chip- no other way. So why not search the guy to find the origional chip and replace it? When he doesn't have it on him, Sam would immediately go to the 'chip drawer' and check, fiddle, examine... and no doubt quickly discover the double-sided chip. Weak and watery, for my taste. No way would she open that force field until more viable options had been explored- not even with Cam ready to fire the disbursement weapon. (And nobody backing him up with P90s!)

Okay, so replicators are cool. But they've been done to death. I wanted something new and origional.

If the IOA guy planned to get the replicators aboard the Ori ships, why did he lock-out the transport beam capability? Wouldn't that be the easiest, most efficient and direct way to infect them? Wouldn't he have done that as soon as the Asgard core magically created them out of, apparently, nothing? Why keep such a horrific, unmanageable living weapon aboard an Earth ship for one second longer than necessary? If that was the plan, it should have been a done deal by the time Sam and Cam got to him.

Morgan Le Fay locking Adria in an eternal battle ala Oma and Anubis. Again, dramatic, exciting, glorious... been there, seen that, bought the T shirt. Cheap cop-out.

Cam's fight. Intense. Shocking. Brutal. Way too long. No mortal man could withstand the abuse that replizombie put him through. Sure I have to suspend belief in order to enjoy any SciFi, but come on. Beat the tar out of him, but the concussion from the explosion alone would have done him in had he survived the beating that thing gave him. Over and over and over...

And yeah, Teal'c's superhuman trek across the mountains was tedious. If Morgan was gonna heal him, why didn't she do it sooner? I got it already after the first gorgeous panaramic view of the mountains. Didn't need to see it step for step. We didn't see him traveling during the night, yet he seemed to have covered massive distances from shot to shot. How far can a Jaf'fa walk in one day, injured or not?

The story pace on the ground didn't seem to match the pace aboard the Odyssey.

I felt cheated. The plot seemed rushed, and it felt as if they had sketched-out the basic story line then went back into the series for already-been-done filler to flesh it out. As I said, I love Stargate and will allow myself to be blindly led by the nose into whatever movie or series they make about it. But AOT has so much unrealized potential and could have been so much better. The acting was up to it's usual excellent standards and I loved the interaction between all the characters. If only they'd had more to work with...
                  I agree!

Also, not enough , or team. Teal'c spends 90% of his screen time alone treking through the mountains. Sam spends 90% of her time locked in a room searching a computer program.

I hope Continuum, as a stand alone, is a team adventure that doesn't marginalize the characters I loved and followed for 10 years (although the last 2 were often through gritted teeth).

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                    I suggest you do the same since I don't recall that at all. The worst I ever heard was O'neill saying Son of a ****!
                    It's in there. It's not in your face like "frak" but it's there.
                    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

I felt that the ark of truth was awesome! Great storyline. Everything worked out well. I especially love some of the graphic effects in the movie. " Shot of the bridge as they enter the Supergate; A+. "

Beau Bridges scene with the prior is just hillarious!

How fitting that Morgan "the ancient" finally interferes.

They left it wide open for the future. Supergate still intact;teams still doing missions; I can only hope that they bring Stargate SG-1 back to the air in the future.
                      Thank god we have Stargate Atlantis.

Major Kudos to everyone associated with Ark! Great job!

Comment

so i watched 'ark of truth' again, this time in a MUCH better mood, and this time on the big tv screen with my family. i liked it MUCH more.

i still feel the ori storyline should have encluded everyone of the team, but the second/replicators storyline was thrilling.

some parts i particularily liked:

tomin. i just like watching this character/actor. i'm glad he didn't die.

the teal'c-tomin scene.

mitchell fighting marrick. i like the way ben plays hurt. he's cute. like when marrick hit him and mitchell fell onto the floor right by a replicator. then marrick pulls him away; mitchell got this certain look on his face. i also love when he says 'ow' when he's sitting in the command chair after the fighting is over.

i liked the way the ori situation was taken care of. i felt for the priors.

beautiful cinematography.

gorgeous music. i'll definitely be buying the soundtrack.

cute sam-mitchell scene in the infirmary. goes back to how mitchell brought sam macaroons. ship or just friendship, it was still cute. (amanda and ben work well off each other)

needed more sam!

i don't really know if i like it just ending with them going on another mission. it felt kind of a letdown, like okay, next. i don't know. maybe it felt forced to me???

so in conclusion, i'm happy. i want to be supersqueelicious with 'continuum', so bring it on!

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

I didn't mind it ending with them going on another mission. It's a classic way to end things, and it signified a "clean slate" with the conversation Sam & Cam had on the way to the gate.

By the way, this movie is great material for any Sam/Cam Shippers out there.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                            But I'm with you, Alan. I tend not to swear, and excessive swearing on TV or in a movie makes me turn the channel on the movie or never watch the series again (Deadwood, for example).
                            Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, there's never a proper time for profanity.

Back on-topic, though, how long is the Teal'c/Tomin discussion? Yes, I've not seen it yet, yes, I'd like to, no, I don't mind spoilers.
                            Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                            http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Morgan kicks ass

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                                Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, there's never a proper time for profanity.

Back on-topic, though, how long is the Teal'c/Tomin discussion? Yes, I've not seen it yet, yes, I'd like to, no, I don't mind spoilers.
                                about a minute.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X