This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    Can you write it down with more detail? Did they die because of Continuum, or the accident happened at the same time there?
    HMS Tireless and USS Alexandria were participating in a joint naval ice exercise (ICEX 2007) this was just prior to the filming for Continuum. There was an explosion aboard the Tireless in which two submariners were killed and another was injured. The APLIS camp sent a team over the ice to rendezvous with HMS Tireless and evacuated the injured submariner to their camp where a helicopter took him to Prudhoe Bay where the Alaska Air National Guard was waiting to transport him to a hospital in Anchorage.

The last I heard about the injured submariner was that he was recovering well.

Being such a small community up in the Arctic the accident had a large effect on everyone.
    -

Comment

WOW! This movie delivers. Continuum gave many fans exactly what we wanted in the SG world; Jack, Earth invasion, perhaps the best villain the team has faced and a butt-load of appearances by long lost small part characters(as a fan myself,that was nice).
      This story was told in such a way that even using some old ideas and plots, I did not once question or wince at anything on screen; Until everything was over...
      Time episodes are tough to deal with, both writing and watching, for this is not the first time we have been told a wonderful story only to have it "not count". After 99 minutes of great SG1 fun, the clock is set back to zero and while we can discuss and pick it apart, "it" never really happened. I'm not asking for a wedding, a blown up planet or even the Furlings, just a progressive story.
      That being said, I think I'll go watch again and again and again and again...
      sigpic

Comment

I finished watching Continuum in the wee hours of the morning and must say it was quite an excellent movie! Kudos to Brad Wright and Martin for their collaborated writing/directing efforts. Joel Goldsmith's music was an added grand touch as well. Very, very nicely done.

I've always love AU storylines and this one was no exception. I have a few grievances with the movie but they are really minor.

I do wish Sam, being the elder in experience would have had more of an authoritative position though. She still seemed 'second in command' behind Cam once again. Why couldnt a woman lead SG-1? Not sure why the PTB have to continually put Cam in charge.

I really loved Qetesh in this movie. She might have been the best part. CB played her fantastically! My good opinion of this woman grows more and more each day. This woman is an incredible actress!

I do wish there were more RDA and Davis though in this movie, especially with the latters passing. At least it was his last hurrah and I'll especially love this movie just for this fact.

Having Mitchell go back to 1929 and hang about for ten years before killing Ba'al was interesting. I can just imagine how he 'walked on egg shells' prior as well as afterwards to not screw up the present time line too much by his interference. Imagine knowing what's to happen before it's to happen and not being able to add or take anything away from this fact. He lived two lives in one reality! Kinda mind-boggling for me..lol.

One question though, the scene at the end with the team in the locker room where the picture of Cam and his grandfather is seen. Did Cam have any inkling whatsoever of the fact that it was himself in the pic? I know he mentioned in the movie at the end in 1939 that he was a 'friend of the family' but wasnt the resemblance in any way quite a bit uncanny for him at all?

There's alot of the movie that still needs to sink in and muddle through so I definitely have plans on rewatching again this afternoon. All in all, I loved Continuum and can't wait for the third movie to come out already. Was the talk about plans for a moon base a hint of some kind as to what to expect...? Hope so!

Comment

Small contribution since I saw it two weeks ago (when it leaked)... I wouldn't even dare classify this under 'film' or 'movie' but it does make a good long episode.

In comparison to AoT, I liked this quite a lot. It wasn't super, but it wasn't bad either. It was somewhere in the middle, but never really touching on boring or bad.

Qetesh was cool. It was nice to see Jack being just Jack. Mitchell is most definitely my new favorite guy.

I did have some issues with Daniel and his leg. A friend of the family lost his foot in a work accident a couple years ago and he still has a limp and would most certainly not be fit to go into the field. That sorta, I don't know, lessened the enjoyment a little. Daniel moved along like he was still whole and nothing was wrong. I don't know... it sorta didn't sit right with me.

But anyway, I've seen it, and unlike the DVD of the AoT this one might just end up in the Stargate collection.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Here's a news story I found about the crewmen that died.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/s...changeNav/6568

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
              Quetesh rocks .
              It may have been safer for Baal to stick with Athena.

There's only one thing in my mind that would have made this one better.
              Rodney Mckay. A cameo, maybe even a weird refrence.
              Like:

Carter: What about Rodney Mckay? Can I speak to him?
              General Landrey: The famous ballet dancer? That guy's a real artist!
              Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Just have a moment, but I wanted to add my hurrahs for this movie. As has been said, it definitely had that original Stargate feel. I especially appreciated the fact that we got a little more in-depth with the characters, and I think particularly Michael, Amanda and Ben did an excellent job. I was very sorry to hear on the commentary that the scene where Daniel calls himself will not be in the TV version. That's one of my favorite little scenes and for the short time it takes, it really gave a lovely insight into Daniel's emotions. I thought to myself that even after everything that's happened to him over these past 10+ years and even with him ending up alone and crippled, he still wanted to reach out to his alternate self just to give him a little assurance.

Otherwise, the story itself rocked. I was disappointed with Moebius, and so I was a little wary of this time travel story, but this never felt like I was being cheated. The pace of the action was great. All the little cameos were a kick. (Seeing Don Davis was a very bittersweet moment. I really miss him already.) The special effects were fantastic, especially for the budget they were on. Talk about bang for your buck! Literally! And finally, I LOVE Joel's soundtrack. (Looking forward to receiving the CD I've already ordered from him!) This makes twice that he's come through big time. His music is a very important element in the mood of both movies.

I do have a question for the forum.

Technical plot hole(?): Why didn't the second kawoosh (when our 3 guys arrived) burn through the ice in the hole that had been made by the first kawoosh? I mean, it burned through multiple layers of steel plating but it didn't touch the ice?

I'm not really picky about these kind of things if the story is good (and this one was), but this kind of bothered me.

Going back tonight to watch it again. And can't wait to hear they're doing more!
                Neetz
                Chevron7: Point of Origin

Comment

Originally posted by Neetz View Post
                  Technical plot hole(?): Why didn't the second kawoosh (when our 3 guys arrived) burn through the ice in the hole that had been made by the first kawoosh? I mean, it burned through multiple layers of steel plating but it didn't touch the ice?
                  The steel plating of the ship was only one layer in comparison to the ice, and rather close to the Stargate which makes it easier for the kawoosh to reach it. The kawoosh underneath the ice had already been chipping away, but the blast only reaches that far, so at some point the chipping will stop. Like it did in the episode 100 Days, where Teal'c had to go the rest of the way.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'm not really picky about these kind of things if the story is good (and this one was), but this kind of bothered me.
                    That's a good point, and one that I didn't think of during the movie. I thank Falcon Horus is correct. On the other hand, it really should have melted some of the ice, but with a budget as small as 7 million, doing that wouldn't have been a very good use of funds.

I was very sorry to hear on the commentary that the scene where Daniel calls himself will not be in the TV version. That's one of my favorite little scenes and for the short time it takes, it really gave a lovely insight into Daniel's emotions. I thought to myself that even after everything that's happened to him over these past 10+ years and even with him ending up alone and crippled, he still wanted to reach out to his alternate self just to give him a little assurance.
                    What a shame! I haven't listened to the commentary yet, so that's news to me. I thought that was a lovely bit of characterization. It's quite interesting that what you see him doing is worrying about his alternate self's failures rather than the loss of his leg.

Comment

What about Ra? Since the stargate was never discovered it means that Ra would not have been killed. And I thought it stated that Ra was like a super system lord? Maybe that was the first system lord Ba'al went after when he traveled back to 1939?

Comment

Originally posted by Tayla View Post
                        What about Ra? Since the stargate was never discovered it means that Ra would not have been killed. And I thought it stated that Ra was like a super system lord? Maybe that was the first system lord Ba'al went after when he traveled back to 1939?
                        Ra was present in Ba'al's "throne room" with the other System Lords.

Image link

From left: Ra, Camulus, Yu, Cronus, Nirrti.

Comment

This was a much better movie than AOT. Yes, thank god, no more friggin' replicators!

Anyway, one question, which is probably obvious but... okay, Mitchell kills Baal as he comes through th gate. At that point the timeline should have been rectified and shouldn't Mitchell have just vanished?? Or did that Mitchell keep on living? Somewhere on Earth, working at the local NAPA store??

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            This was a much better movie than AOT. Yes, thank god, no more friggin' replicators!

Anyway, one question, which is probably obvious but... okay, Mitchell kills Baal as he comes through th gate. At that point the timeline should have been rectified and shouldn't Mitchell have just vanished?? Or did that Mitchell keep on living? Somewhere on Earth, working at the local NAPA store??
                            yup
                            sigpic
                            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

One thing that I have to wonder about is Yu. With his degeneration so severe in Season 8 that his First Prime did most of the speaking for him and he confused Ba'al with Anubis ("New Order"), why would Ba'al keep him around? He's essentially dead weight.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                                Why don't you put yourself in their shoes while writing that. Landry was absolutely right. If someone came to me and said they were going to screw up my timeline, I would put a stop to it if I could. As far as Sam, Daniel, and Mitchell not doing anything about it, what could they do? If they did so much as speak to one another, they probably would have been arrested. As it was, they were on a short leash.
                                Agreed. Landry was right and there was nothing they could do.

Anyway, this is a sweet movie. The opening scene was the best- including Cyler (sp?), Walter, and Major Davis (I appreciated him the most- he disappeared in the later seasons as Woolsey showed up).
                                Those cameos were sweet too bad Major Davis didn't have an actual part.

[QUOTE]Random Thoughts:

It was sad to see Gen. Hammond for the last time. He probably deserved a bigger role, but no one knew that Don was going to die when he did.
                                It was a bit sad but still nice to see him one last time.
                                Why was it that the timeline changed slowly, as Vala vanished first, then Teal'c, then everyone else? I suppose it would be pure necessity for the writers.
                                Dramatic effect but there are a few theories that changes in the timeline take awhile to ripple back to the present.

That was a great last line for Alt. Teal'c. "I die free". It brought back seasons 1-6 (especially the episode "Threshold"), and the real Teal'c.
                                It was classic Teal'c but I don't think he stopped being Teal'c after season 6.

It seemed an oddity that Teal'c didn't automatically start trying to kill Qetesh as soon as he saw her have a sword through Ba'al.
                                He didn't see that untill the last few seconds and he wasn't about to risk his life for a "false" God.

How would the wormhole form in the 1930's gate? If the middle was packed full of packing peanuts like it was around the edges, wouldn't it have the same effect as being buried?
                                Nah they arent that dense they would be vaporized instantly

I would have liked more time with Mig + F-16 vs. Death Glider battles overall, but maybe they didn't have a big enough budget.
                                Probably not. I'd wager that about 750,000 if not more of that went straight to RDA.

From Alt. Jack's reaction to Daniel when he says Charlie is dead, I would judge that Charlie actually did shoot himself- to the contrary of Carter. Anyone else think so?
                                Hmmm no that's probably how I would have reacted if a stranger looked at me and said "Hey your kids dead." I have a feeling he was alive in that timeline.

More thoughts later maybe.

They could have stretched this out into a whole season if they wanted to, although a whole season in which the characters remembered nothing would seem kind of like a waste of time.
                                Hmmm like that one season of Dallas?
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X