Stargate Prewatch: Stargate the Movie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth kat View Post

Overall, this movie is awesome. If it hadn't done so well I don't think we would all be here today!
    So true! Little did I know when I saw it in '94 that it would bring me years of enjoyment, new friends and trips to faraway places.

sigpic
    s u g a r s h a k e r

Comment

I'd not listened to the director's commentaries on the Ultimate Edition previously, so used that for my rewatch. Still not clear why they ding the TV series so much. I'd think homage in any form to be flattering...certainly, for someone like me who did not see the original film until after the TV series, the acquisition of new fans should be appreciated. Them talking about losing some of their sets during the Northridge earthquake definitely brought back memories as I was living in Northridge at that time. Brought shivers just hearing them talk about it...urgh.
      Anyway, sorry if this was posted elsewhere or part of the podcast, but are we watching either Children's of the Gods versions Monday?

Comment

Just rewatched Stargate last night. I was an entertaining movie, but I think the main characers in Sg-1 are better, especailly O'Neill ("With TWO L's!"). Spader was good as the sneezing Daniel Jackson, however. That "With TWO L's!" line O'Neill used finally made sense after reading about it on the forum. Also, in early SG-1 (starting with Children of the Gods) going through the gate makes people really cold and the gate hadn't been used since the events of the movie. I don't think they looked cold in the Stargate movie. The series changed some things but the movie was considered part of the storyline, which shows that movie had good enough ideas to start a universe. The movie had a more epic scope, Shau'ri/Sha're had a more active role (instead of just being someone to try to rescue), Ra's guards looke impressive (Althoug Ra himself seemed less menacing than the Goa'uld of SG-1) and the finale was good ("Send my regards to King Tut...").
        Last edited by hermantheowl; 01 August 2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Just finished it...again. By rights I should be able to recite this movie word for word by now!

I enjoyed the film the very first time I saw it, and I still enjoy it today, but having been 'spoiled' by ten seasons of SG-1, I now see it as flawed and falling short of it's incredible potential (which SG-1 tried very hard to capitalise on and in general it did a remarkable job with a fraction of the film's budget per episode).

I never, ever thought I'd utter these words, and I hate myself for it, but you know...a Stargate movie (or better, big budget mini-series) remake isn't actually too bad an idea.

Okay, c'mon now, just put those pitchforks and torches down...
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I think the first time I watched the movie was when it first aired on TV, i.e. Syfy, but my memory is bad so I can't remember it. I watched it again and agree with the epicness of the story. To me, my favorite parts of the movie are, when Daniel starts fixing the other archieologist (?) work, when he figures out how to use the gate, how he figures out how to speak the language spoken on the planet, how he shows them the truth behind their gods, and last but never least: How they kick Ra's a@@ and blow him up. I also liked when Daniel stayed behind to look after the people in the end and how that was followed up in the series.
            sigpic
            Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
              I never, ever thought I'd utter these words, and I hate myself for it, but you know...a Stargate movie (or better, big budget mini-series) remake isn't actually too bad an idea.

Okay, c'mon now, just put those pitchforks and torches down...
              no pitchfork or torch from me. I can't say I disagree. It would certainly be different, but I don't think I'd mind some more Stargate, in whatever incarnation! : )
              Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

I watched the Director's Cut.

It's kind of weird watching other people play Jack and Daniel.

Can't wait till tomorrow, when we watch the Stargate we're use to.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yamiinsane View Post
                  To me, my favorite parts of the movie are, when Daniel starts fixing the other archaeologist's (?) work, when he figures out how to use the gate, how he figures out how to speak the language spoken on the planet, how he shows them the truth behind their gods, .
                  Movie Daniel is a good character and my favorite character from the movie. I think that character is as good Daniel Jackson on Sg-1.

Comment

The fight scene between jack and anubis in the movie kick a@@!

It's grimy and long. it felt like a serious brawl

Comment

Originally posted by dtheories View Post
                      I'd not listened to the director's commentaries on the Ultimate Edition previously, so used that for my rewatch. Still not clear why they ding the TV series so much. I'd think homage in any form to be flattering...certainly, for someone like me who did not see the original film until after the TV series, the acquisition of new fans should be appreciated. Them talking about losing some of their sets during the Northridge earthquake definitely brought back memories as I was living in Northridge at that time. Brought shivers just hearing them talk about it...urgh.
                      Anyway, sorry if this was posted elsewhere or part of the podcast, but are we watching either Children's of the Gods versions Monday?

I thought that strange as well, you'd think that they'd be thrilled that their movie spawned so many great years of SG television.

Not sure what the time frame was but I believe that they had intended to do a trilogy, but I don't know if that was something they had intended to do from the beginning or if it was something that they wanted to do post SG1....seeing 'THE END' once O'Neil and the rest passed through the Stargate to return to Earth made it pretty definite, to me at least, that this was a one time deal, lol.

You can start whenever you like, I plan on watching both the original episode and the final cut tomorrow at some point. The plan is five episodes a week, I'll probably do an episode a day, if I'm really busy I'll be able to squeeze in an episode the next day or even do a mini-marathon on the weekends.

I'm really digging this five episodes a week set-up, it allows a degree of flexibility that doing one a day or something wouldn't.

Two minutes until midnight, really looking forward to getting home from work tomorrow to kick this off!
                      sigpic

Comment

@NowIWillDestroyAbydos

I love your avatar.

Comment

OK...it was late 1994...I was a Year 7 pupil who'd only just moved to the London burbs a few months earlier when I start seeing adverts for this cool seeming film called Stargate. I didn't get to catch the film at the cinema, did get the SEGA Game Gear game though(fun puzzle game where you as Daniel have to shut down Stargates by entering addresses in and stop Ra from taking over Earth/the galaxy)

Some point in '95...I catch the film on VHS. It was a cool film though if you'd have told me back then that there would make an entire TV franchise based on it...I wouldn't have believed you(recognising Anubis from the game was pretty fun though).

Since then I've watched it several more times over the years(including once in German) always fun to occasionally rewatch how it all began.

This time around...I got hold of the Directors cut edition.

1. Opening scene in 8000 BC(not really needed)

2. Remains of Horus guard being discovered...fair enough, gave the military reason to send a bomb through.

3. Butting heads due to the storm...DOH!

4. Daniel's chicken moment, certainly a good laugh, also liked how Skaara was already a sort of leader of the kids.

5. No subtitles for the Abydonian stuff - only annoying this about this version, left me having to remember what was actually said!

6. "Wait for me...I've got an idea..."

7. You'd have thought Daniel would have been a bit more cautious before commiting himself to go to another planet but...sometimes things are harder than you expect.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                            4. Daniel's chicken moment, certainly a good laugh, also liked how Skaara was already a sort of leader of the kids.

5. No subtitles for the Abydonian stuff - only annoying this about this version, left me having to remember what was actually said!
                            4- I think he should be. Isn't he Kasuf's son?
                            5- That's the version I've always watched. That's why I never knew there was a version with subtitles. I didn't care much for what they said anyway.

Comment

Has there ever been a version with subtitles for the Abydonians? If so, I've never seen it and I've owned a lot of different versions of the film (TV recordings, video, DVDs from UK and US and now blu-ray).
                              Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                                Has there ever been a version with subtitles for the Abydonians? If so, I've never seen it and I've owned a lot of different versions of the film (TV recordings, video, DVDs from UK and US and now blu-ray).
                                That's what I was saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X