Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm talking about a big portion, when Devlin was spouting his crap, there was uproar, the majority of fans seemed firmly against them.

Comment

No, that's because the angry fans shout louder than the happy fans.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm for the movies. FOB is right, something always pisses off some of the fans and we all notice the most vocal. This is especially true here on the internet, where fandom is skewed.

Besides, I don't have any numbers to back it up, but I personally know a lot more people who liked the movie than have even seen, or care to see, the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          No, that's because the angry fans shout louder than the happy fans.
          Yep, and also because most fans here have been fed with SG-1, or/and jumped in the train late, and probably didn't even go to the cinema in '94.
          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            I'm talking about a big portion, when Devlin was spouting his crap, there was uproar, the majority of fans seemed firmly against them.
            I'm not surprised, honestly. The movie was only a couple of hours long. We've probably had about 150 hours of the TV series over the years, more if you count Atlantis towards that tally.

For a lot of people, the TV show has been been "Stargate" for a good decade. Devlin's movies would not include characters, events or concepts introduced on the show. It would essentially be writing a new canon, one that did not include many of the elements fans love from the show and, since these movies would be sequels to the original, I could see why some might interpret that as a move to say that the movie trilogy was the "real" canon and be upset by that.

I don't see the movies being made any time soon, though. As I understand it, the rights to the storyline and characters, including Jack and Daniel, belong to MGM and they are perfectly within their rights to refuse to allow Devlin to use them.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
              I'm not surprised, honestly. The movie was only a couple of hours long. We've probably had about 150 hours of the TV series over the years, more if you count Atlantis towards that tally.

For a lot of people, the TV show has been been "Stargate" for a good decade. Devlin's movies would not include characters, events or concepts introduced on the show. It would essentially be writing a new canon, one that did not include many of the elements fans love from the show and, since these movies would be sequels to the original, I could see why some might interpret that as a move to say that the movie trilogy was the "real" canon and be upset by that.

I don't see the movies being made any time soon, though. As I understand it, the rights to the storyline and characters, including Jack and Daniel, belong to MGM and they are perfectly within their rights to refuse to allow Devlin to use them.
              Yeah but what about the fan base that does want to see him make his TRILOGY , yeah not everyone wants to see it , and your right he wouldn't have the same story line or characters like SG-1 has , or have anything to do with those characters ( at least Danny boy and Jack would be there , Not the same actors but it would be with them ) . I would love to see where he wanted STARGATE to go , yeah MGM Could say no . But its SciFi , so there is always room for a different view of the show .

Comment

Originally posted by -PITBULL- View Post
                Yeah but what about the fan base that does want to see him make his TRILOGY , yeah not everyone wants to see it , and your right he wouldn't have the same story line or characters like SG-1 has , or have anything to do with those characters ( at least Danny boy and Jack would be there , Not the same actors but it would be with them ) . I would love to see where he wanted STARGATE to go , yeah MGM Could say no . But its SciFi , so there is always room for a different view of the show .
                I'm sure that there are fans that would like to see the movie trilogy completed but twelve years is a long time between movies, and for most of those twelve years, people have been watching the TV series. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those people were more interested in the SG-1 storyline and characters - look at this forum, for example. What would you say we talk about more; the movie or the TV series?

It may be very difficult to go back, after all this time. The Stargate story has moved on from the movie. We've watched SG-1 and its characters evolve over ten seasons. We saw what happened to Jack, to Daniel, to Sha're, to Skaara, even to Abydos itself. We've learned the history of the gate builders, we've seen the defeat of Ra's race. I can't speak for everybody, of course, but personally I would find it both strange and unsatisfying to see the clock reset and to be told "actually, this is what really happened to Jack, Daniel, etc."

As far as both the Devlin movies and the SG-1 movies+any future projects being able to coexist, I don't see why MGM would want to risk even the possibility that the Devlin movies could hurt the prospects of the SG-1 movies, Atlantis or any future series, not when they have done quite well out of the Stargate franchise so far.

Why take a chance if they're already making their money out of SG-1, Atlantis and the merchandise for both shows?

Comment

Some fans want to see Devlin's sequels, some don't. Whatever decision is made, part of the fanbase will be pissed off. I'd rather not have Devlin's sequels, thus pissing off the fanbase but still keeping the continuity whole than pissing off the other portion and fracturing the continuity.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
                    Some fans want to see Devlin's sequels, some don't. Whatever decision is made, part of the fanbase will be pissed off. I'd rather not have Devlin's sequels, thus pissing off the fanbase but still keeping the continuity whole than pissing off the other portion and fracturing the continuity.
                    I wonder if a movie that never existed would really bother many people.

Realistically, most of the people who watched and enjoyed the movie may not even be aware that Devlin wants to make the sequels in the first place. If that is the case, they are hardly going to be upset that a movie they didn't know was even being considered is not going to be made.

I would say that there is more of a risk of upsetting people by making the movie than by not making it.

Comment

Point is, the films can make lots of money, can put the Stargate on the big screen, which SG-1 fails to do, and apparently there's still lots of people who loved the first film and would like to see sequel, not counting the non-fans who might just end liking the new films because they'd be cool, plain and simple.

If they're made, you'll be able to complain as much as you want, but you'll, in fact, appear as the troublesome people, against those who liked the films.

Yes, you'll be, once more, seen as the annoying fans.
                      Last edited by Mister Oragahn; 19 August 2007, 04:43 AM.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I would say that there is more of a risk of upsetting people by making the movie than by not making it.
                        People may get upset at new Devlin movies and refuse to watch them, but I don't really see how that would affect MGM's bottom line. I can't imagine a lot of people would think "I hate MGM for doing this, therefore I will no longer watch any SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, programming because MGM is evil, and my mind is blown by there being conflicting story lines."

Comment

MGM considers the TV series STARGATE SG-1 to be the official continuation to the movie STARGATE, I think that, more than anything, will be the main reason why sequels to the original movie won't be made. MGM has made it quite clear that they'd rather make SG-1 movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                            MGM considers the TV series STARGATE SG-1 to be the official continuation to the movie STARGATE, I think that, more than anything, will be the main reason why sequels to the original movie won't be made. MGM has made it quite clear that they'd rather make SG-1 movies.
                            I can't fault them for that; after putting ten years into SG-1, it's completely understandable that they'd want to continue with that storyline rather than with a conflicting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                              People may get upset at new Devlin movies and refuse to watch them, but I don't really see how that would affect MGM's bottom line. I can't imagine a lot of people would think "I hate MGM for doing this, therefore I will no longer watch any SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, programming because MGM is evil, and my mind is blown by there being conflicting story lines."
                              When you think about is, such a stance would require much more self convincing, self imposed restriction, so much efforts, than actually simply understanding the existence of two continuities.

Comment

The Original Stargate movie made close to $200 million world wide....

in 1994 $dollars.

Dean himself has the credit on this movie as producer/writer/creator....

As much as I love the series....it was the movie that got me hooked.

I also suspect a greater percentage of fans would support Dean's effort.
                                Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Working...
                                X