This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suse View Post
    I was thinking he was blowing smoke out of his.. (Ori)fice.

I'd be shocked if MGM ever greenlights it. Not after all the money it's made off SG-1.

suse
    Yeah but the money they could make off other movies that are STARGATE related is still a great thing for all of us .

I think if 007 , BATMAN and other movies like that could do different takes on them with still keeping the THEME of the show Myths going is a great idea .

Also who knows , Devlin's veiw of it could get new fans to the STARGATE shows . I will say if he does get the GREEN LIGHT on these movies , they should be a Direct to DVD MOVIES ONLY .

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing what his ideas were because I was a fan of the movie back in 94 way before I'd even heard of the series (being an antenna-only sort of family). I read the Bill McKay novels as well and that went in an interesting direction as well.

I was kind of saddened that SG-1 took pains to completely dump a lot of what was established in the films, like effectively writing out Sha'uri and eventually Abydos as well. I liked Feretti and Kawalsky too, and they were dump quite quick

l. I feel a lot of it was done so they could establish their own characters within the mythology. And although I do like Sam and Teal'c and Hammond and think they are cool additions, I kind of had to roll my eyes about how Sam and Katherine knew each other well enough and long enough to hug enthusiastically on ToT.

So it'd be cool to see what direction Devlin wanted to take. But I am very attached to the creation of the Goa'uld and Jaffa and now the Ori as well, so I don't look as a films as a correction; rather just as an AU like many comic-verse or classic hero storylines.
      sigpic
      sig by kidwizz

Comment

For those not in the know, Dean Devlin has done a lot:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0002041/

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        Devlin, as Jenks said, wrote the original movie. And has, of late discussed intentions of creating "Star Gate" 2 and 3 to complete his originally envisioned trilogy. This has caused controversy amongst the fandom, as "Star Gate" 2 and 3 would ignore S.G-1 continuity. Most believe that accepting that there are two different continuities is a trick that is well beyond the intellectual level of general gaters.
        There are die-hard fans who think that Stargate SG-1 IS the tv series, and nothing else and won't look outside the box, so to speak. However, it never would have come about without the movie. The novelizations based off the movie were far more interesting and complex than those that came off the series (due in part to constraints no doubt imposed by MGM).

Originally posted by dec55 View Post
        Well since the series has been canceled, I think anything done by Devlin will
        be great. His Librarian series with Noah Wylie has done great. It would be
        great to see the movie cast reassembled. The Stargate movie was a big success back
        when it came out...hitting number 1 in it's first week.

I definitely would like to see Devlin in the mix.
        Originally posted by partly cloudy skies View Post
        I'd be interested in seeing what his ideas were because I was a fan of the movie back in 94 way before I'd even heard of the series (being an antenna-only sort of family). I read the Bill McKay novels as well and that went in an interesting direction as well.

I was kind of saddened that SG-1 took pains to completely dump a lot of what was established in the films, like effectively writing out Sha'uri and eventually Abydos as well. I liked Feretti and Kawalsky too, and they were dump quite quick

l. I feel a lot of it was done so they could establish their own characters within the mythology. And although I do like Sam and Teal'c and Hammond and think they are cool additions, I kind of had to roll my eyes about how Sam and Katherine knew each other well enough and long enough to hug enthusiastically on ToT.

So it'd be cool to see what direction Devlin wanted to take. But I am very attached to the creation of the Goa'uld and Jaffa and now the Ori as well, so I don't look as a films as a correction; rather just as an AU like many comic-verse or classic hero storylines.
        I think an Stargate movie could be done, without SG1 but following along the lines of the movie. Heck, they've done a ton of movies off TV shows. Plus if you got name actors in it (sorry, but alas, nobody in the tv series are 'name' draws, per se).

Yeah, Devlin's LIBRARIAN flicks were highly entertaining, and who can forget INDEPENDENCE DAY?

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
          I was thinking he was blowing smoke out of his.. (Ori)fice.

I'd be shocked if MGM ever greenlights it. Not after all the money it's made off SG-1.

suse
          I think that you may be right there; it's not just SG-1, they have Atlantis and possibly a third series. I don't see them greenlighting a movie that's basically going to be ignoring everything the shows have done as long as they're still producing anything Stargate related.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I doubt they would do anything that might hurt the series, a film would be a risk, whereas as the universe SG-1 spawned is a guaranteed money spinner...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              I doubt they would do anything that might hurt the series, a film would be a risk, whereas as the universe SG-1 spawned is a guaranteed money spinner...
              How would making a STARGATE TRILOGY based off the FIRST STARGATE MOVIE hurt the SG-1 Series or new series that comes out for STARGATE .

1. A Trilogy based off the first movie would get new fans to see what SG-1 was about .

2. any new series that comes out for STARGATE SG-1 would be something for the thousands and millions of already SG-1 and ATLANTIS fans . Yeah they will get new fans , but not the numbers that everyone thinks .

3. SG-1 has been out for the last 10 great years on TV and still the biggest actor to come out of it is R.D.A , Not saying that none of the others aren't known , its just if you was to go to a MOVIE fan that never watched the so or into SciFi , they wouldn't know who they where . But if you ask them if they know MacGyver they would say hey i loved that show . LOL sorry but a true fact , most of the SG-1 main cast members have only done SciFi shows .

Im not saying that Devlin should make a demand on making the STARGATE movies , or that the fans should start up and tell MGM they want to see Devlin's Trilogy . Im say that MGM should look at it as something that could make it interesting to bring new fans to the STARGATE Name .

Also if Devlin is really going to go ahead and make his TRILOGY of STARGATE , he needs to do it know . Get the script out there and let the fans have a look at it as well , let the fans help decide if his MOIVES should be made as well , but after they have read part of his script or plot for the movies . ( Yeah this takes away from the creative part of knowing what is going on before hand , but lets the fans get a taste of what could have happened ) ..

Comment

Originally posted by -PITBULL- View Post
                How would making a STARGATE TRILOGY based off the FIRST STARGATE MOVIE hurt the SG-1 Series or new series that comes out for STARGATE .
                Confuse newcomers and piss off the fan base. It's not as easy to make money from films as it used to be, a lot of films only break even through DVD sales, I doubt MGM would risk it when they know a lot of fans are against them, not when the SG-1 movies chances of making money are virtually 100%.

Comment

Maybe later on, when they're finished with the SG-1 movies, Atlantis and their new series. Until then, I doubt it.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Confuse newcomers and piss off the fan base. It's not as easy to make money from films as it used to be, a lot of films only break even through DVD sales, I doubt MGM would risk it when they know a lot of fans are against them, not when the SG-1 movies chances of making money are virtually 100%.
                    I'd say a lot of fans are for it as well...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Especially if they retain the original cast. Right now, even though opinions are diverse about him, Spader is an award darling for the media. And Kurt Russell is ...um... Kurt Russell. What do you say about a guy who's been acting since he left the womb?
                      sigpic
                      sig by kidwizz

Comment

I think that ship has sailed and he should let it go. I only saw the movie once on tv and the series is much better
                        sigpic
                        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Nope, only piss off a portion of the fan base.

The film got issues because of critics slamming it.
                          The film gained strong momentum since then. It's SF, you can't do much about it.
                          Fraking Phantom Menace is found to get better scores than Stargate.
                          Really, at some point, there's an amount of bias you can't avoid.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                            Nope, only piss off a portion of the fan base.

The film got issues because of critics slamming it.
                            The film gained strong momentum since then. It's SF, you can't do much about it.
                            Fraking Phantom Menace is found to get better scores than Stargate.
                            Really, at some point, there's an amount of bias you can't avoid.
                            And frankly, what about Stargate DOESN'T piss off a portion of the fanbase?

Let's make a really clever plot decision and ascend Daniel! - fans pissed off.
                            Let's bring Daniel back. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's put Carter in charge of SG-1. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's remove Carter from command of SG-1 and put Mitchell in charge. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's introduce Vala. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's have a new General. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's introduce a new enemy - fans pissed off.
                            Let's end this new enemy quickly. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's make season 9 & 10. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's cancel season 9 & 10. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's kill Doctor Frasier. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's remove Ford - fans pissed off.
                            Let's kill Beckett. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's bring Beckett back. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's bring O'Neill to Atlantis for a two parter. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's replace Weir with Carter. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's introduce Ronan. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's give Ronan no development. - fans pissed off.
                            Let's bring the replicators back. - fans pissed off.

What ISN'T a portion of the fanbase pissed off about?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Let's remove Carter from command of SG-1 and put Mitchell in charge. - fans pissed off.

Damn right.
                              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

thats the thing , SciFi fans will never be happy with everything about there favorite SciFi show . Yeah they could take out this person and bring him back later , but they are going to have to deal with the fans that don't like that decision . Then you have the fans that beg for some of these things and they might be happy for a short period of time , but then you have a new eps that kills it all .

So what if say 50% of the STARGATE fans don't want Devlin to make his Trilogy , there is still a % out there that would like to see it . There is STARGATE fans that don't or never like the series , but like the movie that might want to see his Trilogy as well .

How SciFi works , Devlin could make his Trilogy and the Series would never die or loose there fans . Could even bring new fans to both sides , Devlin might get a better fan base out of his trilogy , as well as SG-1 could get a few fans out of his trilogy .

Comment

Working...
                                X