Third SG-1 movie ("Stargate Revolution") Ship Free hopes/speculation/ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    i've read a few ppl say it would upset a lot of fans; prove it. really. if this storyline was *so* bad and upsetting, then why has it been going on for so many years? the writers had the guts to go forward with mckay/keller, i'm hoping for the same for sam/jack.

whitewash writing is for fraidy-cat writers.

i'm also just craving something different with this series i guess. because of how atlantis' series finale ended, it gave me this rush of possibilities that i don't seem to want to let go of. it really wasn't that long ago that i really would have been against the program going public, now i think i'm, bored i guess, and want to kick everything in the butt.

but it would definitely bring a new spin to things, stargate sg1/atlantis wise. i think it's time for the writers to really stir things up, and i'm not talking about stargate: universe.
    The very fact that you have read a few people say it would upset people is proof in a way, isn't it? And the pro/anti S/J debate has been going on for so many years now that it really is kinda boring don't you agree? The simply fact, and I'm sorry, but it IS a fact, is that any ship if made cannon would upset some people. You simply can't please everyone, because for every fan of a certain ship there is another who doesn't want it. I still maintain that ship has no place in cannon, it should remain firmly in the minds of the fans and in ff. You say that the storyline has been going on for years, but you must realise that there are a great many people who have never seen any S/J on the show, it is all a matter of perception. And the fact that for so many years Jack was Sam's commanding officer makes the S/J particularly difficult, should tptb suddenly wan't to try to make that a cannon ship.

I happen to think that in seasons 9 and 10 SG1 became a lot more interesting, I loved the new team, the new dynamic. I want to see more of that in the next movie. And don't forget that not everyone who watches SG1 also watches Atlantis. It doesn't matter what has happen on that show, it doesn't need to bleed over to the SG1 movie.

To go back briefly to the ship thing, one last time, I think there have been so many really interesting storylines only touched upon that would make the next movie/s a lot more interesting than trying to bring ship into the plot.
    sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
      I didn't think (especially under the new Vision Statement here) that I would have to "prove" that other people share my opinion in order for it to be valid. I didn't think I had to have a petition with signatures of others who agreed before I could say that "I think X is a bad idea because..."

I've never cared for the hints of Sam/Jack ship that they've dropped over the years. I found it detracted from the things that I always enjoyed about the SG-1 and it always felt forced to me. So I don't want to see it in the movie. End of story. Just because someone can find five people who think I'm wrong, that doesn't mean that my one opinion is less valid.
      I agree. Your opinion that it shouldn't be there is just as valid as someone else's opinion that it shouldn't be. You don't need a petition. The simple fact that you feel that way, and that you've stated why is enough.

Originally posted by Khentkawes;9617483I
      would like to point out, that by and large, I haven't been responding to this debate. But with that said, I would also like to point out that the "just leave it be and move on" approach doesn't work when the issue is brought up again every three pages (and it certainly doesn't work when someone is told to "prove" their opinion). Which is essentially what has happened here. Seriously. Look back through the thread. Every time the discussion begins to move forward, it's brought right back to this point again.
      Then simply, don't respond to it. Just because someone brings the point up, or wants to talk about it, doesn't mean you have to. If I responded to every post here I'd never leave my computer. I respond to the posts that interest me, and leave the others alone. Like I said, there are other hopes/speculations/ideas being talked about here. Find one you like and discuss it. That's also part of the Vision Statement.

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
      So, moving on. On-Topic: I'd like to see something involving alien cultures again, whether transplanted humans or true aliens. I don't really care which. We've seen a lot of other planets, but we don't often learn much about the people there (usually it's either just a medieval village or an agrarian society). Especially since the major villains have been defeated, it would be interesting to see a conflict with some other alien culture.
      That would be interesting. I always enjoyed it when we would meet new races. I would also like an old fashioned SG-1 adventure. No "magic" tricks to get them out of a fix, just plain old ingenuity, which is what the original series did so well.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
        The very fact that you have read a few people say it would upset people is proof in a way, isn't it? And the pro/anti S/J debate has been going on for so many years now that it really is kinda boring don't you agree? The simply fact, and I'm sorry, but it IS a fact, is that any ship if made cannon would upset some people. You simply can't please everyone, because for every fan of a certain ship there is another who doesn't want it. I still maintain that ship has no place in cannon, it should remain firmly in the minds of the fans and in ff. You say that the storyline has been going on for years, but you must realise that there are a great many people who have never seen any S/J on the show, it is all a matter of perception.
        LOL the actors think it's there, the producers/writers do too, it's been discussed several times on-screen, Joe even said
        [...] 2) Jack and Sam could have gotten together after Jack’s retirement, but it was never made canon because, quite frankly, it wasn’t my call. Still, despite the lack of official confirmation, it was only natural that they should get together after the events of Threads and, in my mind, they have been together ever since. An attempt to suggest as much in season 4’s Trio unfortunately ended up on the cutting room floor when the episode ran long.
        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-and-what-ifs/

...and you still believe it doesn't exist? even though TPTB wanted to include a scene that confirmed their relationship? wow anyway Brad made it abundantly clear that it doesn't matter what a few fans think
        “Were you surprised by the reaction of fans to the announcement of the cancellation of SGA and the start-up of SGU?”

BW: No. You guys are actually pretty predictable (take no offense, most fan groups are). Unfortunately, you represent a very small portion of the actual viewing audience we need for financial success.
        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

And the fact that for so many years Jack was Sam's commanding officer makes the S/J particularly difficult, should tptb suddenly wan't to try to make that a cannon ship.
        how so? AFAIK it's ok as long as she's not in his direct COC. btw...
        [...] 1) The Sam/Jack relationship was fraught with complications given that he was her commanding officer. Pursuing any sort of relationship would have been inappropriate for both and would only have really been possible late in the series after Jack’s retirement.
        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-and-what-ifs/
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Consider either the next movie or the 4th one will be released and presumably take place in 2010 I would thing the villains should be the Aschen Confederacy. Considering we may have got one of their planets swallowed up a black hole, I should think they would be might pissed with us. Say they've only just found Earth's location and are currently sending a battlefleet to attack us.

Since spaceships was the method of Aschen interstellar travel (having a limited knowledge of the stargate) their spacefleet would significantly large and more experienced than ours.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
            Consider either the next movie or the 4th one will be released and presumably take place in 2010 I would thing the villains should be the Aschen Confederacy. Considering we may have got one of their planets swallowed up a black hole, I should think they would be might pissed with us. Say they've only just found Earth's location and are currently sending a battlefleet to attack us.

Since spaceships was the method of Aschen interstellar travel (having a limited knowledge of the stargate) their spacefleet would significantly large and more experienced than ours.
            Jim Geer writes: “Are there any plans to revisit the Aschen story through any arm of the Stargate franchise? I’d love it.”

BW: I liked the Aschen story too. Insidious. No plans right now.
            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

It would still be a very cool idea.
              sigpic

Comment

In a tranquil park, near a gazebo stands two people. The man in his formal uniform, the woman in a lovely wedding dress. Just as the ceremony is about to begin, urgent news comes from the SGC: Garan from Edora has come through with bad news. Jack's former love Laira has been kidnapped along with--dun, dun, dunnnnnn--Jack's child that he knew nothing about!

----

Shouldn't that satisfy everyone? The shippers get confirmation that, yes, something is going on, and the anti-shippers get to see their wedding interrupted while Jack goes off in search of a previous love and the child he never knew while Carter's standing there in her dress with a "WTF?!" look on her face.

Comment

I think what some fail to realize is that, while yes, some people will be upset if the 'ship is confirmed, some are upset right now because there's been a lack of said confirmation. You can't argue numbers either since there's no definitive numbers to begin with.

So neither opinion is intrinsically bad; you can't argue that "confirming the ship will make people mad" when the other option accomplishes the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                    In a tranquil park, near a gazebo stands two people. The man in his formal uniform, the woman in a lovely wedding dress. Just as the ceremony is about to begin, urgent news comes from the SGC: Garan from Edora has come through with bad news. Jack's former love Laira has been kidnapped along with--dun, dun, dunnnnnn--Jack's child that he knew nothing about!

----

Shouldn't that satisfy everyone? The shippers get confirmation that, yes, something is going on, and the anti-shippers get to see their wedding interrupted while Jack goes off in search of a previous love and the child he never knew while Carter's standing there in her dress with a "WTF?!" look on her face.
                    Sorry I think in some ways that scenario would be much worse. It would be just as bad as an actual marrage except it wouldn't be resolved and out of the way and there would still be people asking for conformation eek to be honest I don't want anymore longing looks while Sam has visions shooting Daniel while angsting over Jack Please some scifi storylines please.
                    AncientsTimeline

Comment

Are we still discussing ship?..........give me a nudge when it's over and we're on to something else please?....

Deeds xx
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        I think what some fail to realize is that, while yes, some people will be upset if the 'ship is confirmed, some are upset right now because there's been a lack of said confirmation. You can't argue numbers either since there's no definitive numbers to begin with.

So neither opinion is intrinsically bad; you can't argue that "confirming the ship will make people mad" when the other option accomplishes the same thing.

And that, in a nutshell, is the reason why any ship belongs firmly in the land of fan fiction,imo. And there are just so many of them, people ship any and all combinations, not just Sam and Jack. Why should any one ship be made cannon? What makes any of the multitude of pairings worthy of being made cannon? Sure a small number of fans will be upset if their chosen pair don't get the big white wedding, so what? A small number of fans still want Jonas to come back, or to see the Furlings, or Daniel's grandad, or Thor. Some people want more explosions, just as many people seem to want less explosions. Tptb can't pander to a minority - any minority, it just isn't worth it. They want the franchise to be a success and to move forward, and the way to do that is not to annoy too many of the existing fans.

Anyway - moving along. I know that this next movie is going to be Jack centric and as far as I am concerned that could go either way. If tptb and RDA give us a Jack O'Neill who is a strong leader, who acts as befitting a man of his years and status, rather like a Hammon figure it could be really good.

I still hope to see Vala included and Mitchell too. I am going to reserve judgment until I hear something more about the reasons why Vala has been left out of this movie. But if it turns out to be yet another time travel/AU/AT thing then I doubt I will bother to watch.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                          Are we still discussing ship?..........give me a nudge when it's over and we're on to something else please?....

Deeds xx
                          Well, you could always come up with something interesting for us to discuss couldn't you. What do you want to see in the next movie? What don't you want to see? - Ship free of course.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, you could always come up with something interesting for us to discuss couldn't you. What do you want to see in the next movie? What don't you want to see? - Ship free of course.

Oh I gave a suggestion about 2/3 pages ago......it sort of got "swallowed up".....

Deeds xx
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                              Oh I gave a suggestion about 2/3 pages ago......it sort of got "swallowed up".....

Deeds xx
                              Sorry I'll go see if I can find it and we can discuss that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post

Sadly not. The shipper would be Pissed off, the marriage got called off and the anti-shippers would be pissed off that there was a marriage to call off.

And people who are neutral would probably be annoyed so much time was being devoted to 'ship' at all.

In the end shippers can pull ship from anything you put in anyway, so there's really no need to put any overt ship in any way. Even if the character go out of the way to deny ship, shippers will just wonder why they're trying to hide it.
                                sigpic
                                Banner By JME2

Comment

Working...
                                X