Camelot (920)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nyxlily

And while I did enjoy the battle sequences (very edge of my seat stuff), the more powerful moments for me were seeing Sam, all by herself, so removed from the battle. She was so utterly alone.. she could only watch in -total- silence. It must have been gut wrenching horrifying and surreal. How much more alone could one get? And Vala, also alone, but with the enemy. Both women helpless with no one to turn to, with no way to help. Plus the music did an absolutely amazing job conveying the emotions of those scenes. I adored the ending.. focusing on those two women and their situation.
    I agree. Very well done scenes.

Of course, the situations of the men are equally dire, and I can not wait til the next season starts to find out what happens to all of them.
    I`d like to be in suspense, but really am not worried about if they`ll survive as much as curious about how they`ll survive.

Some have voiced the fear that part of SG-1 might be killed off.. while that is highly improbable (the fans would revolt), could it still happen after the actors signed contracts for the next season? I'm not familiar with things like these..
    Dunno. I guess it`s always possible to kill a character as long as they all agree about how to do it and the contract is amended accordingly. Like that Lost character who knew they`d(intentionally neutral gender pronoun here) be getting killed for most of the season but went along with the charade in all public appearances, comments, etc.

But they better not!!!

Oh, and I also enjoyed the humor of this episode. I saw this thread asking if there was too much comedy in season 9.. and it being such a ridiculous idea I never reply to that thread. I think the amount of comedy has always been constant throughout the history of Stargate. The situation might be dire, but there were always a few lines or scenes that break the tension, no matter the circumstance. And there were also at least one 'fun' episode for each season. So, no, there's not 'too much' comedy. Well, that just went off on a tangent.
    Yes, I also liked the humor in this ep. Teal`c`s Easter Bunny comment was priceless. Although this season I have too often found Cam to not be taking a situation seriously enough, he was perfect in this one.

All right.. I think I covered the majority of the episode.. hopefully we'll be able to comment on other things beside the awesome space fight. And that wasn't sarcasm.. I loved the space fight.. but come on.. there were other aspects of the show to discuss too!
    Yeah, I have to agree with Dani347 on the space fight. I don`t know which ships are which, and it`s generally just a big mishmash of flying and blasts and technobabble about dampeners and shields holding at X percent and whatnot. I get that the SFX are very good, but I really watch for the characters and their interactions more than the FX. Most of this thread seemed to me to be devoted to the space fight, who wimped out, who didn`t, whether it was the Russian ship or ours that got blasted, etc. Which is of course what some people want to talk about, but my eyes glaze over after 3-5 pages of it.

Oh, in regards to the GW poll. I voted Outstanding. Not because I thought this was THE best out of all of SG-1.. but the show really was outstanding. I vote outstanding to every episode I really like.. and I really like this. As to the numbers.. it might be rigged, but have people considered that this was the *finale* and many more people tune in than for regular episodes.. and I counted at LEAST 2 people who created an account specifically to COMMENT on the finale in this thread alone.. and they actually took time to do that.. think of how many others who casually stopped by after the show because it was good.. and saw the poll.. and took the 2 seconds to vote? I don't know. Like I said, it might be rigged.. someone might have liked it so much s/he voted 10k times, or it's all legitimate.

Okay, really, I'm done now..
    I voted "Good", but I rarely vote "Outstanding" for anything, and because of the ability to stuff the ballot box I tend to discount the polls anyway.
    Fargater (n.) A Farscape fan who got curious about Stargate SG-1 on learning BB and CB would be joining, belatedly discovered the greatness of Stargate SG-1 in reruns, and who is now a happy fan of both shows.

Comment

Originally posted by RobJones
      ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

After watching camalot and seeing Earth do battle alongside the Jaffa Tok'ra and the asgard, even though we lost the battle, i couldnt help but smile. .............

does anyone agree?... or am i a loser for taking stargate to seriously lol ?

Yep...know how you feel...kinda been feeling the same since I saw the Prommie!

........hmmm....

....."finally Earth is reckognised as a formidable force"
      ....."we are now a superpower if you will"

........ sense a hint of megalomania

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
      Perhaps because there is a jamming field outside the Wraith ship preventing the bomb being beamed right next to it?
      About to say exactly the same thing...the Wraith aren't stupid...i'm sure they have a jamming perimeter
      Last edited by jazz!; 12 March 2006, 02:32 PM.
      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl
        Well, honestly, nobody can answer that question except the people who make the series, unless someone can forsee the future (tell me there is someone on the forum with that ability)
        Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future. -Yoda

McKay: Crap.
        Hermiod: What did you do?
        McKay: I just ran it through a translation program. It's Wraith.
        Hermiod: Crap, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
          As one of those who started watching SG-1 for BB and CB, I need to defend this. Personally, I think an actor can draw someone to a show. But if the show stinks, not many fans will stick around. If I didn't enjoy SG and like all the other characters on it, then believe me, I wouldn't be here. I've seen posts from BB fans who've said they went back and watched all the previous seasons of SG-1 once they heard Ben would be on the show. I've seen posts from other fans who said they took a look at SG in S9, and even though BB and CB are on it, they still didn't like the show and stopped watching.

Everyone's different, but I think most people don't continue to watch a show if they don't like it, no matter who's on it.
          [Crichton]Can I get a HELL YEAH?[/Crichton]
          I love the previous seasons more than Season 9, even though I started watching them because I knew BB and CB were coming on. And I find Mitchell to be my least favorite character. I keep watching because I hope he`ll get better, but also because I like Daniel, Sam, and Teal`c so much after having seen them in the previous seasons. ANY show for me is mostly about character interactions. As long as that`s there, I`m there. Story`s important too, but I have found that characters are why I watch.
          Fargater (n.) A Farscape fan who got curious about Stargate SG-1 on learning BB and CB would be joining, belatedly discovered the greatness of Stargate SG-1 in reruns, and who is now a happy fan of both shows.

Comment

It was kick butt to see that. All of us fighting side by side. To bad we got spanked. Well I guess the battle would kick a lot of butt if you were on the Ori side.
            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tsid.
              Exactly! So why are they trying to beam nukes into Wraith Ships, when they can beam nukes just outside Wraith Ships, and still do plenty damage?

I never understood that...
              I don't think that would be so effective, mostly because there is no air in space. The three main sources of damage from a nuke are:

1) The blast of a shockwave of air
              2) Thermal radiation
              3) Nuclear radiation (x-rays, gamma rays, and so on)

In an atmosphere, the shockwave of air accounts for most of the devastation caused by a nuke. Thermal effects can burn skin and start fires from miles away, so those are nasty as well. The nuclear radiation isn't quite as bad as it could be, because the surrounding air attenuates the radiation and tends to reduce its effect. But in any case, nuclear radiation damage is more like poisoning and less like a blast - exposure to nuclear radiation doesn't usually kill you immediately, it kills you some time later.

In space, there is no air, so there isn't any blast. There goes most of the destructive power of the nuke right there. There also isn't any thermal radiation as it's normally defined, because thermal radiation requires the presence of some medium (like air) for it to travel through. The nuclear radiation is much more deadly because no air means it can travel farther. However, nuclear radiation won't rip stuff apart (there is some radiation pressure, but it's feeble), so if a ship's hull is sufficiently protective the ship's crew won't be poisoned (I imagine Wraith ships are protected).

I think detonating a nuke in space would basically be like shining a really bright light. It might blind anyone looking at it, and if the ship doesn't have a protective lining the crew would be poisoned and die eventually, but I don't think a nuke would really be all that destructive if detonated near a ship. *Inside* a ship, where it can superheat the air, I think a nuke would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by nano
                Time to poke a hole at your option C
                Daedelus was in the pegasus galaxy which by the way Emerson mentions to SG1 when they are beamed onboard the Oddessey.

And dude...
                If you blow a hole into an aircraft carrier does it immediately fills with water and sinks or does it take some time for this to happened???

And the shields could have compensated for the loss of the nose
                Option C was a joke.

And there's a big difference between an aircraft carrier and a spaceship. The carrier will float as long as it is displacing water. If a spaceship was cut in half like that and the nose cut off, then you will have all the air in the spaceship rushing out into space. We've seen the corridors of the ship, and they're mostly open. But even then, the doors inside the ship are not airtight. All the air is gonna rush out of the ship.

And we can assume the shields were gone. The first shot took them down to 50 percent. I think we can assume the double blast at the end destroyed the shield.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven
                  because nukes in space won't do much more damage than railguns not to mention overload the sensors and a portion of the explosion will hit us.
                  The damage from a nuke is different in space yes, but it still does considerably more damage then our puny railguns or chemical explosives.
                  the damage is done with mainly gamma radiation and heat. It will vaporize material that is to close.
                  And those gigaton naq nukes do will make damage at several 10s of km still even in space.

Comment

Was it really an effective arguement for Daniel to use to say that Merlin was using science and technology instead of magic? I mean, would the villagers understand those terms? But, I did like him passionately arguing at all.

A nice touch I thought was when they were all following the historian (I think) to the library the first time, and he said not to tell his wife, that all Mitchell said was they were never there. It would have been a perfect opportunity to have him make some funny remark. I think good writing is knowing when to leave something out. I also liked once they were in there, Daniel gravitated straight to a book.

I wonder if Valencia will become a legend in the village? I mean, everyone had expected a young man to pull the sword.
                    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by doombringer333
                      In space, there is no air, so there isn't any blast. There goes most of the destructive power of the nuke right there. There also isn't any thermal radiation as it's normally defined, because thermal radiation requires the presence of some medium (like air) for it to travel through.
                      This is seriously wrong, or how are you explaining the heat from the sun gets here? It is tru that you don't get to heat up a vacuum, but it will heat up matter it comes in contact with. A nuke in space WILL melt, vaporize matter that is close enough to it.

The nuclear radiation is much more deadly because no air means it can travel farther. However, nuclear radiation won't rip stuff apart (there is some radiation pressure, but it's feeble), so if a ship's hull is sufficiently protective the ship's crew won't be poisoned (I imagine Wraith ships are protected).
                      Again not correct. The gamma radion will destroy matter by knocking of electrons and what else if its close enough, which depends on the yield of the nuke.

I think detonating a nuke in space would basically be like shining a really bright light. It might blind anyone looking at it, and if the ship doesn't have a protective lining the crew would be poisoned and die eventually, but I don't think a nuke would really be all that destructive if detonated near a ship. *Inside* a ship, where it can superheat the air, I think a nuke would be great.
                      It is like a VERY bright light, so bright it will produce enough energie to melt and vaporize matter close to it, and the radion will ionize and destroy the componds of the matter as well.

theres a little table of how much energy a nuke delivers to a target in space:

Distance Energie per cm^2 of target
                      yield

100m
                      1KT = 3,3x10^3 J
                      1MT = 3,3x10^6 J
                      1GT = 3,3x10^9 J
                      1TT = 3,3x10^12 J

1000m
                      1KT = 3,3x10^1 J
                      1MT = 3,3x10^4 J
                      1GT = 3,3x10^7 J
                      1TT = 3,3x10^10 J

10000m
                      1KT = 3,3x10^-1 J
                      1MT = 3,3x10^2 J
                      1GT = 3,3x10^5 J
                      1TT = 3,3x10^8 J

A 1Gt nqa nuke, like the ones from he apohhis invasion attempt from season 1/2 will deliver at a distance of 1km from the hull a energie level of 33000000 joule per sqr cm of the target ship or shield. That is more then enough to vaporize large parts of the hull in that proximity.

Comment

My brain hurts.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by GateShip One
                          Too bad there's no shields in the B5 universe. We need a Vorlon Planet-Killer to show up.
                          No but the "WiteStars" bio armor does absorb the energy blast leaving only the physical damage as well as learn and evolve

Comment

Originally posted by USMCgrunt
                            WTF are you talking about it clearly shows one of the BF-304's being blown into a million pieces after being hit by two beam weapons from two of the Ori ships.
                            http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/c1c2101be2.jpg
                            http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/0ed819c348.jpg
                            http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/39cfc6ed47.jpg
                            Like i tried to say...
                            No 304 was destroyed....
                            http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/39cfc6ed47.jpg <<< Thats only the nose exploding...
                            WAY TO SMALL EXPLOSION FOR THE HOLE SHIP
                            Last edited by nano; 12 March 2006, 07:06 PM.

Comment

How about those Harry Potter references?

He who must not be named? So Merlin's Lord Voldemort? Daniel solving the puzzle and finding Dumbeldore's hologram.

Seriously, I loved this ep. ANother good team ep. Nice space battles. Could've done without the big cliffhangar. Do TPTB not realize that we are going to go into serious withdrawal? Four months!?

I'm glad Daniel got to be an archeaologist again. I loved that he wanted the Odyssey to beam him back into the library. Go Daniel!

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                                I also liked once they were in there, Daniel gravitated straight to a book.
                                That reminds me of something. When he and Mitch got beamed aboard the Korolev, he had a book with him.

Hmm...I wonder if that's gonna be important, like we find out some important info in the book.

Comment

Working...
                                X