Stronghold (914)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michelleb
    So what did Sam actually say about Pete?
    Cam: Does this make me a hypocrite? (referring to telling his friend about the SGC et al.)
    Sam: I told my dad.
    Cam: He was getting a Tok'ra symbiote.
    Sam: Pete...
    Cam: Got shot by a goa'uld with a laser blaster. That's not really the point. I'm talking about using that thing. I mean after what happened to me I was opposed to anyone ever having anything to do with that technology, and now I'm going out of my way to make use of it...

etc....that's all she says.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
      I'm having a memory lapse (pun! pun!), but was the machine Mitch gave his buddy from the Collateral Damage planet? Kinda hard to see Mitch being okay about a device that played a role in framing him for murder and watching him kill a woman over and over.
      Yes, it was. And, he did mention that it was hypocritcal (although I think he was also talking about just telling his friend about the program) for him to want to use it.

And was it just me, or did this ep seem a little Daniel-lite?
      Didn't seem that way to me. I think it was like Madeleine said in the thread for Collateral Damage. Even if he didn't have a lot of screen time (and I didn't think it was really that little, from my perspective, although it was less than Teal'c or Mitchell) he was still being effective, looking through the reports, figuring things out, being happy about the vote. So, the quality made it good for Daniel. IMO, of course.

BTW, who wrote this episode?
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

WRITTEN BY - Alan McCullough
        DIRECTED BY - Peter DeLuise

I think hes the new guy that did prototype.. dissappointing for me as I loved prototype but notsomuch with this one.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
          BTW, who wrote this episode?
          Allan McCullough, who also wrote Prototype. He's also written the upcoming Off the Grid and Arthur's Mantle.

Comment

He's not that bad. Prototype, although okay, fell a little short of Stronghold, which I thought was great.

Comment

Ah. I didn't think this gelled overall as well as Prototype, but like I said, there were a lot of things I liked about it.

Also nice of a new writer to make reference to old episodes.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

I rather liked this episode, though there were some "iffy" moments.

Always nice to learn more about Mitchell (Browder did a very good job), and that's what the B plot was for, although I didn't care for his friend needling him for info. I wanted Mitchell to tell him to shut up at one point. And leaving that equipment at the hospital was just stupid. The guy got his joy ride - Mitchell should have taken the case with him when he left.

Our Bra'tac times are such a joy - I love Tony.

Another Ba'al clone bites the dust. Wonder where the next one will turn up.

Overall a nice episode. Anything that followed "Ripple Effect" was going to be a let down. But I give this one a "B".

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

The good:

Sam in charge! Very nice to see. Go soldier sam.

I liked the Sam and Mitchell conversation--a good one between friends (and not at all like the spoilers had suggested).

I like all of Sam and Daniel's looks with each other and one of the last scenes with Daniel bouncing the ball against the wall. I also liked the scene right after with Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and Bra'tac--their excitement and happiness with the Jaffa Council decision.

I liked the faster pace of the episode in the end.

The not-so-good:

I'm just a bit bored with the Jaffa stuff by now, and I'm definitely tired of seeing Teal'c tortured yet again.

The Mitchell story with his friend just didn't do much for me.

The really really not-so-good: Why did Mitchell go storming off on his own on the battlefield! Not a good move by the writers for this character, AGAIN. He was supposed to follow orders on this one---he was not in the lead. I guess this was to show his impulsive and hotheaded side? Not a good idea on the battlefield. It's a good thing Sam and Daniel followed him and saved his butt. It's also a good thing that Sam could make the rings work. In this episode, we are to see once again that Mitchell is a "hero". Not working for me (and I like Mitchell). He was reckless, and was not a team player in this one. This character needs credibility, not less, and his actions here lessen his credibility as a military team leader, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

The really really not-so-good: Why did Mitchell go storming off on his own on the battlefield! Not a good move by the writers for this character, AGAIN. He was supposed to follow orders on this one---he was not in the lead. I guess this was to show his impulsive and hotheaded side? Not a good idea on the battlefield. It's a good thing Sam and Daniel followed him and saved his butt. It's also a good thing that Sam could make the rings work. In this episode, we are to see once again that Mitchell is a "hero". Not working for me (and I like Mitchell). He was reckless, and was not a team player in this one. This character needs credibility, not less, and his actions here lessen his credibility as a military team leader, IMO.
                    It did feel like a rickety way of showing his impatient side. I like the idea that they actually wanted to show it, and even that they didn't use flashbacks again, but showed it within the action now, but it still wasn't as effective, because I felt the strings there (we said Mitchell is impatient. Well, these people want to see it, so we have to write a scene where he acts impatient). Although, I wouldn't mind seeing him do something impatient or messing up if it flowed a bit more naturally, and I didn't feel like I was in an editing session.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

The reason he stormed off during the battle I believe is directly related to the conversation he had with his friend. Mitchell felt guilty his friend got hurt because he was impatient, but then his friend told him he shouldn't worry about that due to circumstances of his job and that it's understandable.

Comment

Overall I enjoyed the episode.

Liked
                        • Bra'tac - Hoping he is the new head of the Jaffa council
                        • Teal'c - great to see him as more than just Wallpaper
                        • Sam leading the rescue mission
                        • Ba'al - My favorite ex-System Lord - anytime he shows up it's a good thing

Not crazy about the Mitchell B story
                        Last edited by tsaxlady; 27 January 2006, 07:21 PM.
                        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
                          I like that comment about getting his act together because he's a Colonel. I felt that scene showed that he was not trustworthy or dependable so early in his introduction. Having a bad day doesn't justify being stupid on the battlefield. He needs to learn to separate his emotions when he's off-world.

You know, I kind of fast-forwarded through the Teal'c and Mitchell moment and I thought it was a bonding moment, so I'm surprised to hear that Mitchell pushed him away. Now how is that supposed to bond him to the team? Is he going to constantly be a brooding character with moments of stupid one line quips the rest of the year? Again, TPTB are really screwing up with this character. It's like they are trying too hard for the fans to like him instead of just letting the storylines flow. I hope we are done with the flashbacks and outside SGC storylines. They wasted precious moments that we could have seen either Sam, Daniel or Teal'c.
                          To the people who said boring - I agree - I just woke up and watched it on tape and I really had high hopes for this one - once again disappointed.

This pretty much solidified for me that Mitchell is not up to par for this team that is SG1 - again he is shown to lack judgment (in spades this time) and is immature. All I can say is thank God he was not in charge - what a disaster. Lt. Colonel clearly disobeying/ignoring orders (Carter was clearly in charge here) and running off into a firefight and, once again, getting beaten up (that Mitchell in peril bit is reallly reallly getting boring) because he's upset clearly shows a lack of maturity IMO. If he was that upset he should have excused himself from the mission not jeopardized himself and the rest of his teammates with irresponsible behaviour (those Jaffa at the rings should have shot him.) A five year old runs off and slams his fists on the floor when he doesn't get his way - a Lt. Colonel on a rescue mission and involved in a firefight does not run off alone into a battlefield, all the while ignoring orders, over his friends situation, a five year old runs off and ignores his parents orders not a Lt. Colonel even if he is upset. Stay home if you are that upset - don't be a jerk in the field. The thing I finally figured out after asking over and over again what he brings to the team is that what he seems to bring to the team is to get beaten up or to get into trouble so the rest of the team has something to do, besides save the world, etc., they also save Mitchell.

The whole thing with Mitchell going after Teal'c seemed contrived, forced and unnatural - again - but that has become SOP for S9 just like Landry saying Teal'c is family - he's known Teal'c for 14 episodes - it's forced and unnatural. It all seems to me like TPTB trying waaay too hard to get people to like and accept Mitchell by forcing these unnatural and contrived scenes. I have nothing invested in Mitchell so I have less than nothing to care about with this dying friend of his so this whole storyline was a fast-forward situation for me. Mitchell's time would be better spent with the team and trying to show the 4 of them as a team - not that it is working when they are together - but if he spent even a little more time in situations with the team, whether it be firefights where they are a team and not with him running off in a Rambo-like snit shooting things up because he's mad, or just spending time together as a team the way the real SG1 did maybe he would be a little more credible. (That whole scene clearly shows he should not be co-leader of the team - he is not prepared and he is not ready.)

Daniel and Carter good stuff. Carter clearly is the leader of this team - she is kick-a$$ and the SGC knows it - leading the whole shootin match into battle to rescue Teal'c - we need more of that and we should have seen Teal'c, Carter and Daniel together after Teal'c's rescue there has not been enough of that - the 3 original teammates still seem like strangers. They are trying too hard to force Mitchell into a well-rounded, well-oiled machine that is Sam, Teal'c and Daniel and it's not working IMO, it's actually keeping the team apart and distant. Bra'tac - great stuff too. That guy is great - someone else said somewhere that they should have put Bra'tac on SG1 and I agree Bra'tac would have been a great addition over Mitchell.

Oh well - as the saying goes, give it time it's only the 14th episode . . . . Maybe next week will be better - can you see me turning blue?
                          Last edited by binkpmmc; 27 January 2006, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darman
                            The reason he stormed off during the battle I believe is directly related to the conversation he had with his friend. Mitchell felt guilty his friend got hurt because he was impatient, but then his friend told him he shouldn't worry about that due to circumstances of his job and that it's understandable.
                            yes, but it is still highly unprofessional response.
                            I just figured he had the guilt thing going so he was trying to get himself killed.... I know I have seen\heard that on some other show and it seemed like the same thing... Very notsogood for his character.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Been lurking here for years... time to come out of hiding and comment on an episode.

I'm not sure anybody pointed this out, but the Hospital was definately a secure facility.

From season 2's "In The Line of Duty":

"Janet Frasier - In addition to being chief medical officer at the SGC, Doctor Frasier has an office at the United States Air Force Academy Hospital nearby."

It's where they send large amounts of injured off-worlders when the SGC is ill-equipped to handle them.

Was good to see Baal get what was coming to him... again.

The side story was kind-of cliche, but I felt that the guy was a really good character, possibly one of the most "normal" people we've seen in Stargate history (even moreso than the various reporters and red shirts).

So for once we didn't completely cut trade with a world just because of morales. Nice.

A mothership can park on a pyramid? Is this the first time we've seen a full-blown mothership (as opposed to a plain vanilla pyramid ship, like that of Ra or Osiris) land on a pyramid?

Good stuff - 4/5.

EDIT: It was also good to see (hear?) the return of the music sequences from Abyss.
                              Last edited by Siloh; 27 January 2006, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                                yes, but it is still highly unprofessional response.
                                I just figured he had the guilt thing going so he was trying to get himself killed.... I know I have seen\heard that on some other show and it seemed like the same thing... Very notsogood for his character.
                                Oh, I hope they don't give him some kind of death wish.

Comment

Working...
                                X