No announcement yet.

The Fourth Horseman, Part 1 (910)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone else notice the Doci stock footage?

Comment

I liked The Fourth Horseman, not as much as Prototype but it was good.

I liked the opening scene with Daniel and Mitchell doing guy stuff--ewww on sniffing.

I don't know about that whole sponge bath remark--inside joke since MS was in the scene? or trying to set up Cam/Lam (who named these people ). Don't know, but the scene was odd. Good for Cam though to call them on the inappropriateness.

Bra'tac--yay! Hammond--double yay!! What is Hammond's job now? My husband thought he was the new VP, but I didn't think so.

I thought young Orlin's actor did a good job, but I was squicked by the cafeteria scene, but then Sam seemed to be too. Ewww.

Teal'c rocks! Garak is prior?! I didn't read spoilers this time so it surprised me.

Loved the scene when Daniel and Cam got caught by the Soden--Cam developed some good reflexes. They must already know he is still alive since that wounded Jaffa went back home; I wonder what happened to the brother that lied about it.

Lam was good in this. She is slowly thawing toward her father.

I like Landry more each week.

All in all, a solid episode. Bring on part 2.

Jace
      Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

This is why I love SG-1. I needn't state my recent opinions about the show in general at the moment, as I clearly expressed my love for this new direction in the Prototype thread. So instead, I'll jsut shut up and do my usual episode evaluation.
        --------------------------------------------
        SierraGulf's Evalutation of SG-1 9.10: The Fourth Horseman, Part 1

Whenever there are two parters, the second part is usually better than the first (as was true with Reckoning, Moebius, Children of the Gods, Avalon, Evolution, Small Victories, etc, etc). If that's the case, then The Fourth Horseman Part 2 is going to be spectacular! Tonight's sci-fi Friday was the best in a long time, and it was pure SG-1 (I love Atlantis too, though, and look forward to next week).

I love the idea of a plague, and I've known Gerak would become a Prior since the screenshots came out, but I didn't expect to see him there yet. What a plesant and creepy, unsettling surprise!

Since this is called the Fourth Horseman, I take it that war and death will follow in the next episode. It looks like (Part 2 spoiler)
        Spoiler:
        Landry gets affected
        and so we'll see the plague hit close to home. I'm just glad that good ole' George is safe and sound, though I would have liked to see him interact with SG-1. Ah well, it was still excellent.

Without any further ado...

Mitchell did what Jack probably would have done just as good as Jack would have done it: He tried to contain the virus. As a matter of fact, Jack did this in Sight Unseen, but they were able to contain it before it got released so far. This time, people's lives are at stake. I liked Mitchell as usual, and it's too bad he couldn't contain the damn virus. The fact that he kicked some Sodan ass before getting cornered instead of just dropping his weapon was a nice touch reflecting moments from Babylon. What will become of him and Daniel?

Carter is the woman that we haven't seen since Season Six, with no Pete or cravings for Jack holding her down. She is a strong, intelligent woman and I liked her interactions with Orlin in this episode. Amanda Tapping is a great actress, and I feared for her after her minimal inclusion since her return. Prototype and Fourth Horseman changed that.

Daniel wasn't around much, but the first five episodes and Prototype quite make up for that. You can't always have em all, I guess.

Teal'c has been hit hard. I feel that more people will follow him and Bra'tac when they see that Gerak has made this rash decision, while others will follow Gerak, making it a truly even civil war (the third horseman). Teal'c has given it his all in trying to help the Jaffa, and now it is his responsibility to take up his weapon and fight for the freedom of the Jaffa again, once again brother killing brother. Oh mah, oh mah.

Landry was great as usual. He sold me back in Beachhead, but he just continues to impress me. He knows what he's doing and he knows how to deal with an out of control crisis, I just hope to God that he beats it. Too bad (Part 2 spoilers)
        Spoiler:
        he'll catch the plague. Bah humbug, who'll run the SGC?

Lam, like in Prototype, managed to not piss me off, but she has a while to go before I like her. It'll take time, at least six episodes like Landry.

Orlin was cast decently in this episode, although Sean Patrick Flannery would have been welcome. Cameron Blight did okay though, and it made for some interesting interactions, mainly with Sam. I hope he doesn't die.

Dr. Lee is kind of turning into Felger for me, but I still found his interactions with Sam quite funny in this episode. I don't mind seeing more of him.

Gerak, you traitorous *******! I saw it coming because I spoiled myself, but at least now I don't have to put it in spoiler tags (at least not everywhere). I like how they portrayed Gerak's inner-conflict, and how he left the Jaffa be. This was his best episode yet, though I had hoped he'd lose the Kirk voice upon changing. Oh well, I think that's the way Lou talks.

Hammond didn't get much action, oh well, nice to see Don Davis again, it's been a whole month since the NJ Con, after all.

Current order of quality:

Prototype
        The Fourth Horseman, Part 1
        Avalon, Part 2
        The Powers That Be
        Beachhead
        Origin
        Ex Deus Machina
        Avalon, Part 1
        Babylon
        The Ties That Bind
        --------------------------------------------------
        No more SG-1 till January. And in that time I have to get my wisdom teeth out on a Friday, with nothing to lighten up my day that night. Ah well, I'll have my Season 9 tapes and 1-8 DVDs. Until January, SG-1.

As for Atlantis, one more week, and then Sci-Fi Friday is truly over.
        Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
        Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
        Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
        Stargate Destiny, Fan
        Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Overall I really enjoyed watching last night's episode. The only problem I had is the fact that they allowed the virus to spread like wildfire. But if that didn't happen there wouldn't be a show to watch come next January!!

I think that Gerak is a two timing....you can fill in the blanks! I really hoped that the Jaffa get a clue and not follow the Ori. I was crept out by the interaction between Sam and Orlin, but again its just a show. That is what the writers want. I like the fact that Daniel and Mitchell were playing basketball, it showed that they have a friendship building outside of working together.

Oh, it was very nice to see General Hammond, if only for a brief moment. I was hoping for more interaction between him and SG1, I was waiting and waiting for it, but I'll take the brief moment. Its better then nothing!

Overall I give it a B+/A-... can't wait for January!

Yeah for my 100 post!
          Just sitting here at the computer..typing my life away!

Comment

majorsal:that part of the episode i *hated*. it completely implied that a 'sexual' relationship happened between sam and orlin in season 5's ascension. that's news to me! yes, i'm an s/j shipper, so it disappointed me to no end....
            My view, ditto. The implication and voicing it in that way and space, way uncool.

Just sayin'.
            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
            sigpic
            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

I too liked this episode a lot. Perhaps I have a sick and twisted sense of humor, but I thought that scene where Landry asked sam about an "intimate" relationship was pretty darn funny. "Well, he didn't look like that!", lol. And her uncomfortable-ness in the cafeteria when poor Orlin couldn't figure out which were his thoughts and what he was saying out loud. The look on her face was priceless. But can I just say, let's bring in some strange female aliens who fall into some strange idea of "love" with male leads next please?

I loved that Cameron finally had something to do! Yay! But I hate hate hate the idea of Mitchell/Lam ship, so I was kinda underwhelmed by the end of the first scene. Ugh. Then again, I'm pretty much anti-ship in any form for Stargate... I just feel it's not a romance-y show and adding that into the mix is just not the right formula. I fully believe people can have deep and interesting friendships (daresay love?) without a romantic relationship. SG1 has always been about the team for me, and the adventures they share. Any romantic relationship is going to mess with that dynamic.

I liked Daniel and Mitchell's interaction at the beginning (before the whole sexual harrassment -- possible ship thing) because it was an interesting character point, and because it was something that you absolutely would not see happening with Jack there instead of Cameron. Cameron takes up some of the snark (omg, "Ascend-O-meter" lol!), but that scene (moreso than the talking heads table scenes) reinforces that he's really not a Jack clone. That said, I also really liked the "Trust me, 'Prior gun' would've gone over better" line. And loved the scene with the Sodan at the end. Mitchell put up a good fight but still was overpowered -- because they were ambushed and outnumbered. Having him completely win in that situation would've been too superheroic. One nitpick, Cameron said he spent "two weeks" with these guys. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it two months? I guess I'm a minority here in that I really liked Babylon a lot, but I remember thinking, "in six weeks he's got to have tried to use the transporter device by now!"

Speaking of Priors, I was not spoiled by any images beforehand, and when I saw Gerak wavering, trying to reason with the prior, I finally felt they were bringing his character some more depth. "Gerak is many things, but he is not a fool" says Bra'tac. Could've frickin' fooled me! He seemed pretty foolish up until now. Or at least one-dimensional. So when the prior took him back to the other galaxy I was like, "You better not make him a prior! He was just starting to get interesting!" But they did! Bah I still hold out hope that he will be somehow redeemed. And, while I've never been a fan of the Teal'c-centric Jaffa episodes in the past, I'm actually warming up to the Dakara stuff.

Orlin came across as a bit of a deus ex machina, as someone earlier in the thread had noted. When you've got the big Ori guns, the SGC is going to need some help, sure. But I agree that they need to restore some balance. Why not have Sam and the Earth Scientists figure out how to make the gun on their own? Why not have some good old scientific know-how be used to find a cure? I don't think it makes the enemy less scary, and it also gives the ever-increasing fantastical nature of the show a good grounding. And like Scully from the X-files, it's absolutely needed. Also, yes, Orlin was an interesting idea and yes, through him we learned a lot, but it would have been more engaging for me if the SGC could have found this stuff out on their own. It's a question of "show vs. tell", and if you have a choice between them, choose "show"! That said, I'm very glad the Ori's sinister ulterior motives have finally been made known. I would like gray areas for Gerak, but not for the big bads. Interesting though, that the Priors aren't in on it.

As I said, despite the nitpicks above, I really enjoyed this episode and can't wait to see the next one!

I'll end with some total squeeing: Hammond!!!! Yay!!! OMG don't kill him!!! Whew, he didn't touch the virus guy! Yay!!!!
              Last edited by eve11; 17 September 2005, 06:59 AM.

Comment

After viewing the fight scene on the Sodan planet, I think this is one time that Daniel should have listened to Mitchell. Whether you like it or not, Mitchell has MUCH more experience with the Sodan (understanding their fighting methods and too a small degree their culture). Therefore, his statement of "having nothing to worry about" is based on this experience.

If fact, watch the "ambush" frame by frame and you will see:

1) Daniel and the other members of the SG team are easily disarmed
                2) Only Mitchell was able to but up an effect defense whereas the others were quickly subdued
                3) Even if you had your weapon "at the ready" - Like Daniel - it had no effect on the final outcome (see point 1). In fact had Daniel actually killed (not sure about wounding - it is still "spilling a warrior's blood") any of the Sodan warriors, the situation would have been much, much worse - (i.e. Babylon)

This is not to excuse mistakes made by Mitchell in other episodes, but it does point to the fact, that Mitchell can and apply what he has learned.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by khd
                  except for Cameron Blight. He suuuuuucked as Orlin. No emotion at all. His performance totally took me out of the episode. I bought the whole "child" thing used to explain why Sean wasn't there, but they could have got someone better to do it. That just happens to be the way that I feel about it. What do you...oh wait, that's a quote, never mind.
                  Well, Orlin did spend hundreds of years isolated on a planet. He's only been into the fold for a few years. I think he'd still be suffering from a few personality issues. Also, can't forget the brain damage!
                  sigpic

Comment

I stayed away from any spoilers or pics so the Gerak as Prior ending was one of those, OMG moments, which was very cool. Fun to be "spoiler free" sometimes.

I've complained before that the whole Jaffa movement arc was getting stale, but this episode opens doors for it to go in a whole different direction - and give Teal'c much more to do. Go writers!

As for the potential Mitchell/Lam "ship" rumors. No, no, no, pretty please! We are just starting to know Mitchell, and while I'm starting to like Lam, she still isn't Janet, so I don't really want any romo between those two. Don't think it would really fly with the fans. IMO.

Landry continues to really impress - he's almost up there with Hammond, not quite. .but close! This was the character that worried me in the beginning, but Beau Bridges continues to make this a very strong and interesting character.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

The next new SG-1 episode we see will have the full length opening!
                      Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                      Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                      Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                      Stargate Destiny, Fan
                      Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
                        The next new SG-1 episode we see will have the full length opening!
                        YIPPEEEEE,, HURRAAAAYYYY,, WOOOOOTTTTTT,, AWESOME.
                        I dont know how to correctly display my happyness about getting the opening back. I mean it really seems like a small thing but I have missed it tremendously. Nothing made me think about that more then the best eps marathon when the credits ran then. Theres just "something" missing without the correct opening.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I thought the kid was good! He was doing a great impression of SPF from the earlier ep, in the creepy, slightly inflected tone of voice. I loved him, personally.

Comment

These two epsidoes were great. protype was the best of the season followed by this episode.

I too think Orlin will die. I liekd how orlin told the story of the ori, why they do what they do, and why the ancients don't get involved. I also liked it when he said that they sent him back b/c if the ori won in this galaxy, it would be bad for everyone. I thought that was a good little twist and gave more understanding about the ascended realm.

This episode was more carter focused and it was great to see her in action. Wished we saw more of daniel, good to see mitchell and action.

I thought the way they played gerak was great. He had a lot of depth this episode. The way he struggled with his decision made it seem more "real"
                            come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Weeell, yet another life sucking enemy.I kinda have a feeling, i've contradict this kind of enemy sometime before....
                              "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

I wonder why they didn't go to Khalek's planet and use Anubis's genetic manipulation technology to find a cure for the virus.

Comment

Working...
                                X