No announcement yet.

Ex Deus Machina (907)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember some people mentioning that they couldn't believe that the entire building could be teleported...but now that I think about it...when the Asgard first made their appearance so many seasons ago..I remember them beaming an entire G'oauld ship off the surface of the planet as well as all the troops...those ships are WAY bigger than a building.
    It feels good to be alive.
    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
      I could have sworn I heard Jacks "theme" music when she was saying "not exactly"

Could you explain this so I can watch out for it? I've never made note of Jack having a theme music. Any other episodes it's in?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
        I remember some people mentioning that they couldn't believe that the entire building could be teleported...but now that I think about it...when the Asgard first made their appearance so many seasons ago..I remember them beaming an entire G'oauld ship off the surface of the planet as well as all the troops...those ships are WAY bigger than a building.
        That was in Thor's Chariot, S2. In case, anyone wants to know.

Comment

Teal'c said motherships can't cloak. Has he forgotten the events of Serpent's Venom so quickly?

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
            I couldn't find it, but I went back through the beginning of this thread 3 times trying to find the post so I can give credit to whoever proposed this idea: The "real" Ba'al might be in the blonde woman and not one of the clones.

I love this idea. I have no idea if it's right or even possible [in the Stargate world], but it would be perfect. Everyone is hunting down the Ba'al-look-a-likes, while the Ba'al go'auld is in the woman! And it's great because she can be in the thick of things [meeting with Carter] without anyone knowing. [Someone said Carter would have known, but someone else pointed out a case where they can "cloak" it, so that's a wash.] Great idea!
            Wow...that would be really cool...

And the instance to which you're referring is Fallout...Season 7 episode with Jonas Quinn. The gal he was falling for was a Goa'uld but neither Carter nor Teal'c couldn't sense the presence of the symbiote because of some sort of drug she was taking to obscure whatever vibe the naquadah generates in her system.

Anyway...back to whoever's theory this is...that is just such a neat idea!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

That is a fantastic theory! Good on whoever thought of it!
              I also have to say that this episode was quite entertaining.
              Who would have thought I'd be almost happy to see Ba'al (or his clones, or whatever)?!

Comment

Originally posted by Njord
                Teal'c said motherships can't cloak. Has he forgotten the events of Serpent's Venom so quickly?
                Indeed I noticed it too !!
                Lord Zedd

Comment

Excellent ep! I really enjoyed it!

Comment

Originally posted by Njord
                    What Teal'c probably meant was that the Free Jaffa motherships cannot cloak because we have not seen evidence that Anubis or Baal ever put a cloak on their motherships and most of the Jaffa motherships belonged to either Anubis or Baal.

Comment

I, for one, can't wait until we we see Baal, or Baals, again. I think his character is a long way from over.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

This is, in my mind, probably one of the best SG1 episodes. The change in setting was refreshing : Jaffas storming a corporate building, the cubicle guy, and Baal of course as a corporate empire-builder... Nice shots of Prometheus as well.
                        The end was very cool, and unexpected. I wonder how those Goaul'd clones (who are basically all power-hungry selfish individuals) will get along, though they look pretty relaxed right now.
                        "600 channels and nothing to watch" by a bored looking Baal was priceless.

Comment

I didn't like it and I wanted to love it but I can't. For all the reason's stated above.
                          stargatejostargatejostargatejostargatejostargatejo

Comment

Aside from a query with the building, all the above posts seem to have loved it...

Comment

after watching the episode again durring the marrathon. i realized two things:

1 i like the ep with the orii better
                              and
                              2 what the hell does this title mean? (im sure it has been asked and aswered but im lazy like that so spare me)
                              Get YOUR P90 Here!
                              Am i alone in hoping that the Seaquest seasons with the DeLuise brothers are finally released on dvd??

Nice hair!!

Comment

Originally posted by whatswiththehairtealc
                                2 what the hell does this title mean? (im sure it has been asked and aswered but im lazy like that so spare me)
                                Deus Ex Machina – translation: “A god from the machine”
                                In Greek plays, the actor playing the god would descend on a crane to the stage and resolve the conflict. So, literally, god appears out of nowhere from a machine and solves the problem for the humans. The god arriving by mechanical device is a trick played on the audience.

Today the term also refers to a common writing device where ‘something happens' to resolve the crisis - something outside the story resolves the conflict for the characters. As if from above, like Zeus descending from the heavens, an otherwise unpredictable solution appears to resolve an apparently unsolvable problem. It's usually done because the writers run out time, pages or minutes on a TV show to resolve things... or lack of new ideas.

The title of this episode, Ex Deus Machina, is a play on words from that original latin phrase. Translation: 'out of a god machine'. If Ba’al has the technology to clone himself, well he’s made a god machine. And as with the Deus Ex Machina, it’s a trick. And some could say the whole cloning plot device is chosen when writers run out of better story ideas.

That's my take on it anyway.
                                Last edited by rosewood; 08 September 2005, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X