No announcement yet.

Beachhead (906)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just want to post something about Vala's "sacrafice" that I don't think others have considered. They were completely out of time. I think there were something like 2 or 3 blocks left to form the supergate. Vala didn't have time to try to get SG1 to listen to her AND explain what she was thinking AND actually move forward with her plan. When it became clear to her that no one was going to listen to her, she acted. As it was, she almost didn't make it. No, I don't think she was pouting or acting immature or anything like that. She realized what time constraints they were under and took action. Sometimes, SG1 talks ENTIRELY too much - this was one of those times. JMHO.
    Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Whoa just finished watching the episode (my pcs real slow at downloading ) and I got to say that the ep rocked the house down.
      Not only did Sam comeback in great fashion in a time where she was definatly needed. but it also had a fat goa'uld on the search of chicken and cool effects. This is so far my favourite s9 episode and I can only say that is going to get better.
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr
        Just want to post something about Vala's "sacrafice" that I don't think others have considered. They were completely out of time. I think there were something like 2 or 3 blocks left to form the supergate. Vala didn't have time to try to get SG1 to listen to her AND explain what she was thinking AND actually move forward with her plan. When it became clear to her that no one was going to listen to her, she acted. As it was, she almost didn't make it. No, I don't think she was pouting or acting immature or anything like that. She realized what time constraints they were under and took action. Sometimes, SG1 talks ENTIRELY too much - this was one of those times. JMHO.
        I said exactly the same in my reply to majorsal's post, I think, that they didn't have time for more debating and Vala was the only one to realize that, so she did what she did. GREEN!

Comment

[mod snip]

I didn't want to make this confession... but "Beachhead's" ending cost me too much REAL tears, believe it or not, but it's true and I can only say that I'm eternally grateful to Claudia for these emotions, to react positively to this kind of comments about Vala.
          Last edited by Madeleine; 22 August 2005, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I'm just happy they didn't
            Spoiler:
            screw Sam
            like they had the last two seasons. The way I interpreted the spoilers -I half expected her to take the hit for it and get blamed for it not working and for Vala disappearing.
            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

.....WOW....that was one of the best SG-1 episodes EVER. Oh man...edge of your seat action...

When those things were coming from the planet to form a SuperGate and it blew up one of the G'oauld ships...oh man...I actually felt like I was watching an SG-1 movie..it was so well done.

*DROOL* more please...moooooore

The scene where Mitchell is telling the Prior about the nuke was one of my favorite scenes.=)
              Last edited by GhostPoet; 22 August 2005, 11:20 AM.
              It feels good to be alive.
              Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr
                Very true, very true.
                its appear that she did what she did cos people wasnt pay attention to her but you show me that she did it for the less of time they all had.
                great perception

Comment

The Vala character hasn't been taken seriously in the past five episodes, that’s just how the writer chose to write the character. (This is not a shot at CB or the character!) The character at times seemed shallow until recently because of lack of development. It’s just how they chose to write the character. She was always making one liners or innuendoes something Vala admitted in this episode. She always had her own agenda, like the arm bands. So it's not surprising that they didn't listen to her. Standing away from a group of people talking at once trying to solve a problem in a short amount of time is NEVER going to be heard. So the writers set up the scene so Vala could react on her own something she is very capable of doing. This also adds a dramatic conclusion to her 5 episode run.

I didn't see any fault in it. I think SG-1 reacted as they would normally. They were trying to solve a problem. In Avalon or Origin one of them when Vala and Daniel were trying to solve a puzzle she grew frustrated and just opened one of the pots causing the room to close in on them. I can understand why Daniel didn't exactly seek out her opinion, not to mention she hijacked the Prometheus. Vala’s Intel and problem solving skills haven’t had the best outcomes. I think Vala reacted the way she would have normally. She is not use to convincing a group of people her idea is worth listening to. I don't think she was too interested in getting SG-1s attention. I think she made an attempt and then just reacted on her own in a short amount of time. She ended up solving the problem and gaining some their respect for her actions. I think it was the writers attempts to redeem the character. Just MHO.

Now for the rest of the episode ... I thought it was the best episode of the season! I'm glad we had the entire team interacting with one another. I look forward to more team episodes!! I am thrilled that Sam is back!! I can't wait unitl the next episode to see how and when SG-1 will form again!
                  Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 22 August 2005, 12:33 PM.

Comment

This episode further reinforced that I will love this season. The Ori are shaping up to be my favourite bad guys.

However, as much as this episode brought me to love this season, I was distracted by the season finale of my current all-time favourite show, Charlie Jade. Pure masterpiece it is.
                    sigpic
                    In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

They said that Vala's matter stream may have been sent to the Ori galaxy. But how is that possible? The huge Stargate wasn't activated, so how did she go there?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer
                        They said that Vala's matter stream may have been sent to the Ori galaxy. But how is that possible? The huge Stargate wasn't activated, so how did she go there?
                        Well, but wasn't the regular stargate still active? I mean, that's how the components of the supergate got here. They would still have to keep it open until they got their supergate working, wouldn't they?

Of course, then doesn't a wormhole only work one way--if it's open FROM there how can Vala's matter stream GO there? Oh, those wacky Ori--screwing up wormhole physics!

I give up--I haven't a clue!
                        Last edited by warmbeachbrat; 22 August 2005, 12:43 PM. Reason: typos, stupid STUPID typos

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Just a thougth... If Vala is still alive why did Daniel collapse just seconds after the Supergate has been destroyed? He and Vala could not have been separated for more then 10 minutes then. I see 3 possibilities:
                          1. Vala died and the reaction for her death is much quicker then for simple going too far away
                          2. She is in the Ori galaxy and the distance is so great that the field treats it like her death
                          3. She is falling into the singularity and the field treats it as her death... (for a moment I have thought about the time disortion but it would work the other way, i.e. for her the time would run slower.)

Comment

I’ve seen a few posts where people have said that Mitchell gave the Prior 30 minutes so that Daniel would have time to talk. That is not why Mitchell said 30 minutes. They could only go through the force field when it was growing because it was weaker during the growing phase. Sam told them that if they didn't get out in 16 [?] seconds [during the current growth phase] that they would have to wait 30 minutes for the next growth phase. Obviously, the 16 seconds wasn't enough time to give a warning, so Mitchell told the Prior that he had 30 minutes for them to turn off the bomb [before they were able to exit]. I do think he hoped Daniel would help occupy that 30 minutes with a nice speech, so he was disappointed that now they had almost 30 to kill, but the 30 minutes was ordained by the growth spurts of the force field. Then when the Jaffa fired on the force field, the energy in their weapons made the growth phase come earlier and they could leave earlier, because, again, growth spurt = weaker force field = exit door.

Anyway, I loved this episode. The one scene that bothered me a bit was the one debated here recently about the gang not listening to Vala when they were trying to decide what to do. And what bothered me isn't what bothered most people. It was the line that Daniel used to not listen to her. He interrupts her with "The next idea will have to be something really out of the box." Huh? People are trying to come up with ideas and this is your helpful hint? Trying to get some use out of that "Corporate Buzzwords For Dummies" book you got from your Secret Santa? It just seemed so out of place and poor writing. Give him an idea to throw out there. Even a bad idea would work to interrupt and make Vala just take action in frustration. That's all the writers were trying to accomplish anyway: getting Vala to do something that the others probably wouldn't let her do without discussing and analyzing it.

But, like I said, I loved it. Season 9 is moving on nicely for me. Welcome back, Sam!

I hope to see more team interaction.

Some great lines this episode. [paraphasing, I don't have it memorized]
                            "What's with the extra backup singer?"
                            "30 'Earth Minutes'"
                            Seedless grapes are a "state secret" and chicken is a delicacy.
                            "You need a new wingman."
                            "Shaft." "Camshaft." "Disappointing, isn't it?"
                            "...plus, we figured if Jackson were to..." "die" "Yeah, that's the word. Die. ...It would jeopardize the mission."

Comment

Where was the Asgard Kvasir? It seems that they have cut out his scenes.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

After this episode, I began to think about ways to combat the Ori, or at least slow them down. We know that the Ori use the Stargate as their platform to spread the "Origen" and send in Priors, so what happens if we take that option away? We already know that we can target Stargates and systematically shut them down using the Avenger program, so why can't we do that again? We can target only the 'Gates that already have known Priors, and the ones that are closest to the Ori galaxy. Just a thought, but I think that might be the only way to contain the growth of the Ori religion.

Comment

Working...
                                X