The Powers That Be (905)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
    So, General Landry is Dr. Lam's father? When they were fist talking at lunch, I thought they were an old couple, and that would've been really weird. So, what do you guys think about this? It sure makes for some interesting character development.

I wonder if we'll get to meet the mom, or will it be a classic case of the mom has died.

And do you think the other characters know about this?
    I thought they were a couple too, when I heard him I was like 'oh, wow!', lol, and that does explain why she fired back at the comment about mom, I'm geussing their divorced.

Anyway, I don't think any of the other characters know about this, maybe Jack does...

(Crichton, theres a useful little tool that lets you edit your previous post, just click 'edit' on the post you want to edit, its foolproff )
    sigpic
    Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
      Actually, General Landry asked Dr. Lam how her mother was and Dr. Lam fired back, "Why don't you call her and ask?" (or something like that). So I'm guessing--mom has not died.
      ah yes, I forgot about that. it seemed kind of weird that he was asking about her mother. that is, it was until we found out they were related.
      ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Great episode, in my opinion. Now we see just what a tough road lies ahead in combating the Ori. How can we stop such power? Loved Vala's development as well, caring for others and not just herself. This episode is definitely good news for fans of the stargate universe.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
          To the reason that Teal'c, Daniel, and Vala weren't infected: Maybe the Ori didn't want them to become infected for a reason.
          Maybe, but then why let Mitchell get sick? What's the reasoning behind it?

I could see it as Daniel having been ascended, Vala having been a Goa'uld and Teal'c having had a symbiote, but some actual info would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
            To the reason that Teal'c, Daniel, and Vala weren't infected: Maybe the Ori didn't want them to become infected for a reason.
            If this plague is like the one that infected the team in Frozen, I'm not really sure how it works.

In Frozen, Teal'c was not affected by the plague as his symbiote prevented him from getting it. However, Sam did get it and she like Vala had once been a host at with traces of naquadah in her blood( One can only assume Vala has a much greater quantity of naquadah in her blood).

In tonight's episode Daniel, Vala and Teal'c didn't get the plague, but Mitchell did. We know Vala nor Teal'c have a symbiote any longer to prevent them from getting the plague, so I'm not sure exactly why they would be immune if it is in fact the same plague as in Frozen. Daniel didn't seem to affected by the plague either and one could assume that somehow the reason he wasn't might have something to do with him having once been ascended; however, if the Ancients were not immune to this disease/plague why would Daniel?

So I would think that you are probably correct in your assumption that the Ori chose to spare Daniel, Teal'c and Vala and used Mitchell as an example to the Tauri.

I like this episode much better than I have some of the previous season nine episodes, especially last weeks. I only wish they had offered Vala a bit more of this type of depth to her character a lot sooner. It's a shame just as I'm starting to really like her that she will be gone. However, I do miss my team; and although this episode was much closer to what I have been missing, I can't wait till next week.

Kat
            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 12 August 2005, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
              .....Still unhappy w/ Teal'c... Did anyone else notice that he was speaking more oddly than usual, sort of speaking low and drawing his words out: "Indeeeed." ~Freaky.~
              Just proves hes been spending waayy too much time with his fellow jaffa. Hes reverting back to season 1.

BTW why was he here? That was odd, they made such a production of him leaving last week only for him to show up on an SGC mission this week. And unlike the last 4 eps there was no "Im Daniels Friend so I am going to stick by him" reason.

Still a good ep though. I think I liked all the characters pretty much. I dont like the good guys not winning but I am hoping this will just make their successes later more dramatic. What I will dislike is if they don't have any successes this year in hopes of saving them all for a season 10 or somthing, that would be depressing, I dont watch SG-1 to be depressed. But still its nice to have a heavier ep for those who like those. A good mix makes for a good season.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I was more pleased with this episode than all the ones that preceded it this season put together. The pacing of the dialogue still seems a little off, and why are there so many dramatic pauses and long glances (tum tum ta tummmm) at fade outs?? They draaagggg the show down. But the team idea seems to be starting to gel. The characters look more comfortable together.

Vala was way less annoying this go 'round. I think I liked her the best when she was imitating her former Goa'uld self! And I was thrilled that the team finally got outside, even if "outside" was half-CGI and half-location only for the long shots. I never thought I'd say this, but I am beginning to miss those Vancouver forests! Anything is better than another ep shot entirely indoors on that medieval village set....I don't care WHAT the directors (or Joe) say, that set (and its lighting) look exactly the same to me no matter how they dress it to create a "different" planet.

Still liking Landry and the new doc, although I think that the producers shot themselves in the foot by announcing and promoting their father/daughter relationship even before the season began. It would have played much better as a surprise to the viewers. Just MHO.

Comment

It will be a nice little side-story to see what happens between the general and the good doctor. How their relationship progresses.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

It wasn't that bad of an episode, I actually jumped when the prior interrupted Daniel. They're creepy looking and definitely powerful, but I miss the explosions. And Vala got a bit of depth (What is it? ONE episode left? And she just gets a bit of depth now? It better be a killer episode for me to feel any empathy for her)

I don't like what's happening to Teal'c. I know he got a few episodes to himself last season, but that's no reason to exclude him this season. Plus, shouldn't they have given him a reason to be there? He was so reluctant to leave before, but now he just shows up.

I don't understand why Mitchell got sick either. I would have liked to have seen him up and trying to help so we could get to know the character a little better. Possibly the Ori can control who gets the plague, but why did they pick him? It's understandable why they might want only one of the people from Earth to get the disease, so the rest can see the damaging effects of it. But that still doesn't explain why they picked Mitchell, I don't recall him saying that he was the leader in the precense of the prior.
                    Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                    RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Not sure on the reasons mitchell got sick myself. Overall, still an awesome episode by my standards.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

BTW, did anyone else get the feeling that Daniel was channeling Capt. Kirk during his "Technology" discussion with the Prior?? All. Those. Pauses. In....His Speech.

Sorry, it just had to be said. I enjoyed the rest of MS' performance overall.

Comment

I really liked this episode, especially because of how it ended:

SG-1 LOST!!!

They failed, and got their butts handed to them in the process. The only reason they are still alive is because the Prior spared them. I'm looking forward to seeing how widespread the Prior's work will be, and what they may do to worlds that reject them, and the ones that do.

a time to mourn

Comment

Yeah, just shows how powerful the Ori can be. Going to be one hell of a struggle.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

In breif how I rate " The Micheal Shanks Show Starring Micheal Shanks, Claudia Black, and all those other people from S1-8.

Plot: Ok. Better than last time.

Ori: Still boring. Annoying now.

Vala: Eh, I can stand her. Can't wait till Sam comes back to kick her butt though. BUT, she made some nice development.

Lam: LMAO.

Landry: *snnnooorrrreee* And what's with the leather jacket?

Teal'c: What did he say - about 6 sentences? The guy has a big mouth, LET HIM USE IT!!!

Prior guy: Ah hahahaha, that bullet scene is straight outta the Matrix - but cool. Um...still, how is superior being defined by this heaviness of your makeup?

Mitchell: Darn. He came back to life. I'M KIDDING!! No no, it was all very touching and sniffly, "oh, thank god, they survived after all!!" Yeah, nicely done.

Erm..that's about it... overal, o-tay.
                              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I enjoyed the episode. It was nice to see Vala care about someone other than herself, and I was surprised and thrilled when SG-1 lost this time.

Of course I cheer on the heroes like almost everyone else, but if the Ori had won this time, they would be a new Goa'uld. SG-1 will need to find a way to defeat an enemy that can bring people back from the dead--definitely a skill they don't have, no matter who has naquadah in their blood.

It reminded me of early SG-1 when the characters feared the multitude of the Goa'uld and the vastness of the universe when trying to track Aphophis down. Will they find a solution? Of course. Will it be soon? Maybe not. I don't want to watch them lose all season either, but they need a few setbacks before the team can realize what they are dealing with and fight back accordingly.

Personally, I liked Dr. Lam in this episode. She is concerned for her patients, and I want to see more of the causes for the animosity with the General. If he did abandon her mother and her, as she hinted, she may have every reason to hate him and resent Jack for tricking her into the post.

I agree that it was odd that Mitchell got sick, but I may have a theory for that. The Prior saw no significance in Teal'c, so they left him alone, for now. The Prior's main goal was to stop Daniel and Vala and to attempt to convert them, or at least scare them. Mitchell hampered the efforts of the first Prior to visit Earth, so he recevied the Prior's attention as a way to show an Earthling what the Ori are about and to silence Daniel and Vala in front of the planet's population. It makes sense to chose him. I just wish that we would have seen him feel sick before falling terminally ill suddenly.

Overall, it was a good episode. I look forward to next week.
                                "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Working...
                                X