No announcement yet.

The Ties That Bind (904)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed this episode. It was fun! I have to say, though, after reading the previous posts - when was the elevator scene with Cam/Lam and how the heck did I miss it?
    Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr
      I really enjoyed this episode. It was fun! I have to say, though, after reading the previous posts - when was the elevator scene with Cam/Lam and how the heck did I miss it?
      You didn't miss anything. It wasn't in the show. It must of end on the cutting room floor.

Comment

Interesting ep. Interesting concept. I wasn't too inspired during the first go-around, but that was probably because it was 1 in the morning.

The next day, I enjoyed it a lot more. While I still think Vala has some kinks (heh heh) to work out, I thought the storyline was good. A little more Cam and Teal'c and it would have been JUUUST fine.

First off, I haven't read what you guys think about the elevator scene yet, but shoooot. What the HECK?! It would have been perfectly FINE if Landry hadn't given Cam multiple knowing looks. And, if it wasn't for the fact that JM mentioned something in his thread, I would never have thought there was anything to think twice about. So...what gives? Are they or aren't they?

OK... Second, I hope Vala was telling the truth about being stoned, excommunicated, etc. - not because I don't like her and I want her to feel immense pain, but because I don't want her to be THAT low of a pathological liar, you know? I'd like to think that she thought fast and turned it into a joke when Daniel questioned her. If she was hiding her past and putting up the protective wall with banter then I'd buy it. THAT kind of behavior would fit with the emotional/psychological issues many have assumed she has.

I loved the monk, because he was just too hilarious. Seriously. I loved the Jaffa trader, because he was snarky. I thought the village scene was really neat.

I thought the D.C. scene was pretty funny, and I only wish that Vala had gotten a chance to say more to the jerk. Landry's response to all of that was classic.

I tried not to think about it too much, but if we could get more scenes with Daniel and Cam in those jeans and jackets... Yeah... It'd be good stuff.

Cameron and Daniel's reaction to the old guys' tale about his relationship with Vala was great. That was definitely the most disturbing story I've ever heard on SG-1.

Teal'c's little convo with Cameron about his similarities to Jack almost redeemed the gaping holes in the episode where they were absent. I still think it's funny that Teal'c keeps finding reasons to help them, too. I mean, we know he's loyal but come on... You know his place is on SG-1.

Uh... I still can't wait until "Beach Head," and I hope Teal'c and Cameron are more present for the next ep. I'm surprised they've devoted so much time to Vala and Daniel thus far.

Comment

I'm also loving the sets they're using so far this season. There was the Village and City of the Gods from Origin and the city, the bazaar and the monastary from this ep. All very different and each with a unique style.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            I'm surprised they've devoted so much time to Vala and Daniel thus far.
            Why? They signed a contract with Claudia for SIX episodes' arc, she had to fly to Canada (Claudia lives in London), so it would be actually completely stupid if they gave her less screen time.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              I loved the monk, because he was just too hilarious. Seriously. I loved the Jaffa trader, because he was snarky. I thought the village scene was really neat.
              It had children in it! The village of the Ori, didn't.

Teal'c's little convo with Cameron about his similarities to Jack almost redeemed the gaping holes in the episode where they were absent. I still think it's funny that Teal'c keeps finding reasons to help them, too. I mean, we know he's loyal but come on... You know his place is on SG-1.
              I believe that Teal's will be won over to Mitchell in the episode 'Babylon', when
              Spoiler:
              Mitchell fights The Kel Shak Lo because he spilled Solon blood.

Comment

Can't wait to see more of the Ori. Those guys freak me out a little.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope
                  Why? They signed a contract with Claudia for SIX episodes' arc, she had to fly to Canada (Claudia lives in London), so it would be actually completely stupid if they gave her less screen time.
                  Riiight. OK.

They signed a contract with the guys for 20 episodes. Considering they're "main characters," I find it kinda "stupid" that they've given them less screen time - especially the newest main character.

Sure, Black had to fly to Canada for the role. That's all a part of the trade and I'm sure she's quite familiar with it.

I'm not suggesting they give VALA (not CLAUDIA) less screen time. I'm suggesting that it'd be nice if they gave MITCHELL (not BEN) and TEAL'C (not CHRIS) a little MORE screen time. You know... The four of them (the team?) working together.

Yipes.

Comment

They will. It's still early in the season. Every season, some episodes focus on certain characters over others. It's just the way it is. Mitchell and Teal'c will have their time to shine.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Perhaps because, as much as some people may like it to be so, it's not the Daniel and Vala show. I love Daniel. I'm reserving judgement on Vala. However, there are a couple of other main characters here that aren't being given as much screen time. To me, it seems "completely stupid" to be introducing a brand new main character (Mitchell) and then not bother to develop him or let the viewers get to know what that character is about.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                        Perhaps because, as much as some people may like it to be so, it's not the Daniel and Vala show. I love Daniel. I'm reserving judgement on Vala. However, there are a couple of other main characters here that aren't being given as much screen time. To me, it seems "completely stupid" to be introducing a brand new main character (Mitchell) and then not bother to develop him or let the viewers get to know what that character is about.
                        With Mitchell they still have 14 episodes to develop him (7-20). Vala's arc is only 6.

Comment

With Mitchell they still have 14 episodes to develop him (7-20). Vala's arc is only 6.
                          Yes, yes. Vala's "arc" was only 6 episodes long. But there's a less overwhelming way of developing a character - if you even want to call the past four episodes "development." There are ways to develop characters while still including all of the other integral members of the team. So far, Vala's interaction has been limited to Daniel.

I think Vala's a very complex character, and all they've shown us is how confident she is about her sexuality, how distracting she can be in a situation, how much she's attracted to Daniel, and how much trouble she's gotten herself into in the past - and how much trouble she can get the rest of the team in the present. She kicked major butt in PU, didn't she? Yet we haven't really seen her in action this season.

At any rate, I still don't think Vala's contribution to the show should have been considered an arc, when you still have the Ori, the new cast shake up, Daniel's Ascended storylines, and the New Jaffa Nation to deal with right from the start.

I would not have minded some Cam-style flashbacks for Vala, if it had meant that depth was added to her character. I hate that we basically have to ASSUME that she's got these awful emotional walls and baggage, when there really aren't any scenes to back up that theory. I'm hoping this next episode brings up that baggage so we can stop guessing.

Comment

Yes, yes, yes.... but remember, that officially that's not SG-1 team at the moment. And Ori will appear in the next episode.

Comment

Originally posted by mindtwister
                              I liked this episode, the meeting in washington they're making the same mistake they did in the first season, under estimate the new enemy. From what i've gathered They don't even think that the Ori are real but that will change.
                              While I agree they are not taking the Ori seriously I think they are not necessarily making the same mistake as they did in season 1. Which is disturbing because in season one you could say "shut up kinsey your an idiot". But this time they guy is not saying cut funding outright, hes saying "redistribute" funding to Atlantis and to building ships where he thinks it makes more sense. Therefore you cant just blow him off because he does have a good point. It would be nice to have lots more ships and I think it is imperative that they explore Atlantis.

Of course I think the SGC is your linchpin and there are tons and tons and tons of things that need to be explored in this galaxy so I say cut funding somewhere else and let all the Stargate programs keep what they already have. Maybe they can cut NASA, in the stargate universe do you really need NASA? [note I think in THIS (RL) universe we do so dont misunderstand me]
                              Or maybe they could make use of some technology they found and create practical public applications and then sell them for a ton of money.... hmmm
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by mindtwister
                                when I made my first post i was thinking about kinsay, while building more ships is good and they'll need them. If they put most of their attention to atlantis, the ori will spread their word to the planets they don't want them to explore and when they learn about pegasus the wraith will be no match for them the priors have the power to prevent the wraith from feeding off of them and then earth would need to build a lot of ships and send them all to atlantis.

basically to protect Atlantis they have to keep them occupied here and not let them find out about it.
                                Good points, best defense is a good offense. We need to get out there and explore and teach people about the threat of the Ori before the Ori show up. Defend this galaxy so we can defend Atlantis. But what is the best way to do it? I dunno, ships would be good but certainly whatever the Ori have will be waayy better then what we have. If we explore we could meet the next Asgard (cough furlings cough). Im just saying that the current group of government hacks have a more complex argument, which is scarry. Then we got the whole Jaffa thing. I am seeing more and more Politics in this season, seems more complex then the old black\white, good vs evil we are used to, not sure if it will be as fun, depends on how they play it.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X