No announcement yet.

Avalon, Part 1 (901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't read through all of the pages yet, so I'll just post my impressions then go back and read through.

Mitchell is such a fanboy of SG-1 , but I liked it for the fact he'd built them up in his mind and it appears it kept him alive after the crash. And dude...what a crash!

The flashbacks were cool and not overdone, I enjoyed how they were slipped in pretty discreetly.

A lot have mentioned the humor. I giggled my butt off, but the two things that really got me was Teal'c reactions to Vala and Mitchell. Him throwing the flashlight beam in Daniel's face at Vala's comment on the sex she and Daniel supposedly had, and then when Cameron is trying to figure out the puzzle sequence he asks 'Are you still having fun, Col. Mitchell?" *snicker*

I missed Vala's wink to Cameron the first time around, and thought his double take was to her comment that the possible father of her 'child' could be one of TEN men. I about fell off the couch during the 2nd showing because I caught it then.

Another thing I really enjoyed was how they were able to still keep Sam part of the episode with the vid phone convo between her and Mitchell, and through the flashbacks. The impression I got from it was that she'd visited him quite a bit during his recovery and they've developed a nice relationship. Not in the least shippy, but a true friendship and respect one another. That's probably one of the reasons why he was looking forward to working with her.

The chessgame between Jack and Landry, very cool. Especially the end of the game with the quotes. I am going to miss Jack, but I have a feeling that they're going to explain his departure with a lot of emotion (i hope) on his next appearance in the 3rd episode.

I ended up yelling when 'To Be Continued' came up because the time flew by way too fast and I can't wait for next week's episode.
    My guilty pleasures.

Now...What Am I Offered For All Of The Powers In The Universe?
    A giant swirling headstone, marking the spot where we all used to live and play and slaughter the innocent.

New Vids: Superstar & Chosen Path

Comment

Think I might try a summary:

Cameron is standing at the stargate, touching it like Picard touched the Phoenix in First Contact. A couple of SG people (inc Harriman) talk about him and name etc

*Flashback*
      Antarctica - Giant spaceship fight. Dogfighting (rather unrealistically IMO) protecting SG1 in the cargo ship. Cameron Sounds more like a commercial 747 pilot talking, also their "radar" is pretty suss. But none-the-less it's a REALLY good battlescene, their F302 takes a hit, smoking engine, a wingman comes in to help him, then promptly gets blown away.

Back in gate room a few quick words and then the Intro. Not impressed with very brief intro. Perhaps they did not have a proper "character" intro ready. Seemed more like a Atlantis space born gate as well.

Shot of mountain entrance.

Inside General's Office.

*Flashback*
      Assumably prometheus flight deck. Cameron talking to flight crews (probably as a squadron leader rather than total commander).

Back in General's room.
      Cameron is impatiant. Walter O'Reilly has a comical moment. Everyone's good at their job according to the Gen, he likes yelling at people. Cameron makes a joke about himself. Gets given stack of personele files. Has to pick his team.
      Cameron "is here to join SG-1", but Gen says Cameron is "there to lead".

Carter = R and D at Area 51.
      Daniel = Leaving
      Teal'c = Gone for a month.

Jack never used desk drawers. Cameron tries to explain he wanted to work with the "old" SG-1.

Daniels Room.
      Cameron and Daniel meet. Make some small talk, Cameron wants Daniel to stay, Daniels is going to Atlantis. Cameron chose SG-1, which means the "old" crew not just the SG-1 unit name.

*Flashback*
      Antarctica - Has a enemy on his six, yet somehow manages to help carter by taking out an alkesh, for some reason the Glider on his butt is gone.

Daniels Room
      Daniel gives him his apartment key.

Temple at Dkarra (sp?)
      Teal'c offers to give Cameron some names of good warriors, talks about his government plans, Teal'c is talking about problems. So Cameron does'nt even get to ask Teal'c to join before he leaves. Cameron gets a little "whacky" and mentions "he's on a mission from god" and tries to get directions to the stargate.

Cut shot of mountain.

It's SAM!!!!
      Blah Blah Hyperdrive, Blah Blah Uplink, Cameron flat out asks for Sam to come back, joke about Dr Lee, tries to "sweet talk" Sam into coming back. Shows that "Self Depreciating" streak shown earlier. Sam has to leave. I suprised he did'nt ask Walter to join SG-1.

*Flashback*
      Get's owned by a death glider, co-pilot dead, eject fails (dodgy parts), crashes.

Jack's house. Which is now (I think) the new General's house, Jack did'nt tell Cameron that Sg-1 was broken up. Some various quotes, and a chess game. Jack Wins.

Audition Montage.
      A librarian type linguist (I've seen her somewhere before).
      People call him dave. Which is his name.
      Techno Geek.
      Guy who likes pushups.
      Crazy android scientist's (why they would be applying for SG-1 I don't know). Their thing sounds cool.

*Flashback*
      Crashed in the snow, radio saying death of enemy fleet.
      Very quick flashbacks.
      Nurse.
      Emergency.
      Getting told co-pilot is dead.
      Mother?
      Docter, walking chances are slim.
      Daniel giving praise.
      Getting Congressional Medal Of Honour (I have a real problem with that.)
      Jack tells him he can do anything he wants. Within Reason.

Gateroom.
      DAMN. Vala. "Nice Outfit". She asks for Daniel straight away. She has brought a tablet of ancient treasure. Joke re pregnancy. Tablet is code. Vala knows the code. Danial is needed to "understand" the tablet. Joke about gene pool. Nice comedic touch with Daniel and Cameron. Vala bought tablet from Goauld.
      Goauld bracelets, from the Sky Goddess. Daniel gets strapped into one. Vala gets the other one.

Braclets link the 2 people togther.

Mountain Shot.

Dr's Lab.
      Can't cut through the bracelet, Dr thinks about cutting the hand, no chance. They don't know how it works, it has faint energy readings.

Daniel Faints.

Security room.
      Vala and General, General talks about daughter a bit. A torture joke or 2. Camera is panning around. General gets through little speech.

Vala Faints.

Medical Room.

Teal'c is back. "Daniel Jackson" he says. Daniel seems fine. It's the bracelet. Kormac is what they are, used for prisoner transfer, if the 2 people get far from each other, they both die. Vala interjects. Vala stole it from someone who did'nt tell her about that. Danial gets a little angry and chucks a pillow.

Vala will remove the bracelet (if she can), after she gets the treasure. The Daedulus left 2 hours before he woke up. Cameron suggets getting the treasure, or Danial marrying the "chick". Vala is happy.

Daniel's artifact room. Teal'c does not need to return. Cameron and him have an pretty one sided exchange. Daniel figures out the "secret", and after a fashion reveals that the Ancient Treasure was hidding my Merlin, the Arthurian legend.

Cut to Briefing room. Long winded explation from Daniel about Arthur's times and myths. Blah Blah Blah, Ancients probably hid everything with their Tech.

Cameron is happy, but then Sam can't come. Cameron is less happy.

Space. The Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Prometheus.
      Daniel would be staying onboard, but then they realise the radio won't work, and then Vala reasons (after flirting a bit with Daniel) and some tech talk, that the rings will get them inside.

Beam Down with rings.
      Empty Cavern. Joke about having sex. Oh look, it's the sword in the stone. Daniel get's all geeky and corrects Cameron about the sword itself not being Excalibur. Cameron can't pull it out.

Merlin hologram comes up "Only those with a wealth of knowledge and truth of spirit shall be given access to the underworld. Prove thee worthy and all will be revealed." Vala keeps her eyes on the prize. More flirting\jibing between the 2 kids.

Teal'C wants to explore some tunnels, Cameron goes with him, and the 2 lovebirds go together. Both happen upon rooms that light up with Flares\Fire when they go near, they both enter and get trapped. Radio don't work.

Daniel belives the room is a test. His room is a couple of pots, with some ancient underneath, Cameron's is some sort of number puzzle or word puzzle, too bad they can't read it. Teal'c shoots at the door. Cameron get's a bit of a strange moment, not happy about possible ricochets. Vala opens one of the pots, it's empty. She then tempts fate by exclaiming "How much worse could it get".

Promptly the celing starts to fall down. Teal'c does his iron man thing holding it up. The other pot is empty on Vala's side. Vala and Daniel look slightly concerned to say the least.

"To Be Continued".

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

which are the other 2? I haven't noticed, but then again, I'm not that familiar with Farscape

Comment

I liked the episode. It was a good intro to a couple of characters (and sort of to Vala as well, thanks to Channel 7, I have not seen Prometheus Unbound), and had good explanation for the new "mythos" of the Stargate Universe.

Vala and Daniel reminded me of another show, NCIS, and how Agent Kate and Agent Tony have a similar relationship, but theirs is slightly less "sexual" since they do work together. I don't mind it.

I did'nt like the Medal Of Honour being given. Somehow killing 2 alkesh's and a glider then getting shot down is worth a Medal Of Honour. I'm not american, so I can't "really" judge this, but I don't think those actions were worth the Medal Of Honour. Maybe a Air Force Award and a purple heart, but not the Medal Of Honour.

I think the "trap\puzzle" room has been well overused in Stargate. Maybe think of something else.

Other than that, I liked it much.

Comment

Originally posted by L1ssalaun
            I don't know, maybe it's just me but I thought it was funny when Vala said she's pregnant, didn't know who the father was and then winked at CM. Reference to Farscape? Sounds like it to me.
            It was a Farscape reference.

And you know what, an hour before the preimere, I completed a four day Farscape Marathon. I gathered all my DVDs and I didn't leave any out.
            sigpic

Comment

I truly hate the new 10 second opening for the show. It was over so fast you hardly knew the show started.

I thought Beau Bridges was having a lot of fun. Michael Shanks seemed very relaxed. RDA and Christopher judge were as good as ever. I thought Ben Browder was uneven, but then, so was the writing for him. My friend didn't understand the excitement for Ben Browder after seeing the episode. I believe he was holding back for fear of being accused of bringing John Crichton to "Stargate SG1".

I was disturbed by that scene where Mitchell is trapped with Teal'c and Teal'c tries to shoot out the wall. Why did Browder go from under-playing to over-the-top? Why was Teal'c carrying a gun instead of a staff weapon? Why did that scene exist at all? It didn't seem to have any purpose.

And why did Browder get first billing?? I think my head snapped back like I'd been hit when I saw that.

That's not to disrespect Ben Browder. I think he's a fine actor.

And Vala.... I dislike the character even more. I never thought I'd see Claudia Black playing a gold digging ditz dressed as a dominatrix. It was especially startling as compared to the women on BSG who are getting juicy scenes and are treated with respect.

That said, I thought "Avalon part 1" was a good if confusing episode.The action, cinematography and special effects were impressive.
              Last edited by Hatusu; 17 July 2005, 01:15 AM.
              Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

I thought the Farscape references were hilarious. So long as they cut back a little on them over the course if the next five episodes, I won't feel anything but positive about them. And Vala in general is hilarious; love or hate is obviously how people are going to be about her.
                If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

How about Vala's line to Mitchell and Daniel, a direct shot at the fan rumbling about the similarity between Browder and Shanks. Can't remember it directly, but it was something along the lines of your dna, although 'interesting', seems somewhat limited.

I loved their double take at that moment, like they're thinking--could it be?!?!

Just about every line Vala had made me laugh. I don't know if it was the line or the delivery but she sure seemed to be having a damned good time at their expense.

Comment

Vala: "Play hard to get!"
                    Mitchell: "That's funny, coming from you."

#3 I'm not so sure about anymore... actually, I'll just get rid of it. Only TWO Farscape references.

Comment

Yeah, the writing was uneven, it was so quick to go from "stoic hard man of the air force" to "omg you shot the door oh noes!!!! teal'c..." with a very (don't flame me please) but seemed like his reaction was like a girl seeing a mouse.

Comment

LOL! I wish I'd said that.
                        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by macktheknife
                          Yeah, the writing was uneven, it was so quick to go from "stoic hard man of the air force" to "omg you shot the door oh noes!!!! teal'c..." with a very (don't flame me please) but seemed like his reaction was like a girl seeing a mouse.
                          I actually loved Mitchell's reaction to Teal'c shooting at the door. It caught him completely off guard. Of all the things he expected, Teal'c shooting at the wall wasn't one of them. It had to be the funniest scene in the show. His reaction was exactly like mine would have been. The only thing is I would have yelled a bit more and used a lot more profanity.
                          "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                          it has it's own laws and beats about things
                          which the intellect scorns."
                          - Mark Twain -

Comment

it was middle of the road for me.

yes, it was blatant setup for the next 3-5 eps and as such, was such an info dump that it was rather slow

i do think that cam will do well. i like him, actually always have, and i think he'll be a fine addition

it was very nice of them to work to get sam's two cameos in there. it added a nice sense of continuity to it all

i kinda found the seemingly endless cam flashbacks to be rather annoying. they're working sooooo hard to sell cam to us. friends with sg1,hurt saving sg1, dreams of being on sg1....even the bedside visits. man, all we needed was naturally curly red hair and he'd be the perfect marty sue.

please, don't sell him to us, just put him there, justify his presence and let us accept him. i almost felt that i was watching a cameron mitchell infomercial

also, his medal??? a congressional medal of honor???? umm, they don't exactly hand those things out like they were candy and, usually, the president gets to hand them out, not some lowly lt colonel (not that i wasnt' glad to see sam)

vala...she'll be good for a laugh. and when she's not trying to be the super vixen she's not too bad. but her childish 'sexy' remarks get very old very fast. she makes me cringe. and when i cringe, i hit FF.

storywise, it was pretty slow. but like i said, it was all just set-up and as such, it will be slow. the 'goodness' of a part one usually isn't revealed until the final chapter airs and then you can see if the rest of the story elevates the first part

i give it a 3 of 5
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I thought it was a great episode, little disappointed that it was over so soon and nothing had been resolved but then I remembed that it was a two parter!

I like BB character, thought that he'd be more of a Jack clone for some reason but was glad when he wasn't throwing out Jack one liners. I really felt sorry for him when Landry told him that he'd be in charge of a new SG-1 and Sam, Daniel and Teal'c had all gone thier seperate ways. He wants to be with the best, and they are the best. Speaking of seperate ways, I thought it was fairly clear that Avalon is taking place months after Seige 3 and the Daedalus had already been to Atlantis and back again and thats why Daniel was going now. I mean why would they send Daniel to Atlantis in the middle of huge battle, that didn't make sense to me.

I like the charcter of Vala, little annoying at times but pretty funny. All the sex talk makes sense if you understand that shes just using what has to get ahead in the galaxy. Most men would be caught way off gaurd by the things she says, which makes it that much easier for her to take advantage of them. I think she's clearly a survivor and will do whatever she has too to survive.

I can't wait for the rest of the season.

Comment

OK, I got it. "Limited Genetic pool", "Vala's pregnancy" and "Playing hard to get"...all Farscape.

Another thing that made me laugh was Teal'c's little evil sarcastic smile after he shot at the stone wall and BB freaked out as in "You want some fun and excitement, there you go!" Priceless

Comment

Working...
                                X