No announcement yet.

Avalon, Part 1 (901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this episode was allright. Lt. Colonel Mitchell was great however I think Vala was a bit too annoying and quirky for me. Teal'c has another different hairstyle which makes it even wierder than S8 but other than that, the episode was good. Also the flashbacks were amazing and well done IMO.

Comment

I was umm underwhelmed. I didn't mind bb as much as I thought that I would but I think that is just because I was so absolutely disgusted with Vala. I mean didn't we try the sexy alien evil chick with Freya/Anise? That never worked for me. And did the bracelets look like fancy snap bracelets to anyone else? I felt that the way they kept Daniel off the Daedelus was a bit of a cop out. It was irritating. I'm still going to give it a shot but I'm wary, very wary.
      "Now we wait for the Giaaant Alieens." - Nick Ballard

Comment

For me it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. That's not necessarily a bad thing though because I figure that, with the new characters and new storylines, that it's basically a new show so there will have to be a lot of exposition so it may take a few episodes to really hit it's stride. I miss Sam but it was a pleasant surprise to see her, even briefly, in the episodes as I wasn't expecting it. I also didn't expect the seemingly close and friendly relationship between Mitchell and Sam. I knew that SG-1 knew of him beforehand but they seemed to share a nice repertoire which hopefully bodes well for future episodes.

I had some reservations about Vala but, needlessly cleavagey outside, she was actually quite enjoyable. The banter between her and Daniel was actually a high point of the episode for me. It seemed more kid-like than the ultra sexual back and forth of PU which I feel is a good thing. I liked the way Mitchell just sort of stood back and let them go at it.

Teal'c, unfortunately, wasn't given much to do but hopefully that is just in this instance. He got in a few "Indeed"s of course and was quite Teal'cly stoic but that could be that they're just playing it up that he's going to take a while to get used to Mitchell.

There were, of course, the obligatory nods to Farscape. I kind of wish that they wouldn't play up the Farscape angle so that SG-1 could sink or swim on its own merit but they weren't too campy. I actually laughed quite a bit at Vala's remark about the 1 in 10 chance of the "baby" being Daniel's then her nod and wink towards Mitchell. It's something that only a Farscape fan would get.

I haven't really gotten any impression of Landry yet. He's very dry and so different from Hammond or Jack that I think it will take longer to get a read on his character. Though his impatience with Daniel's mythology babble seemed oddly familiar.

All in all it was pretty decent, if perhaps a bit slow, but as I said I think that once they get into the action (now that they've gotten most of the back stories out of the way) it will pick up speed.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

i think i may have thunked too hard already.... *snicker* didnt take that long, course i just have to get used to the fact, not seein' ben in all those leathers... oh gods... if he would be... hot as hell to watch...

loved the banter between him (mitchell) and vala... good chem. as only ben and claud can do. (silly scaper me... )

the flashbacks were very interstin' to watch. i enjoyed them

c'mon.. i want pt2 already.
          sigpic

Comment

I liked it for the most part (Oh, I'm watching it again now too!) It had me smiling, and also the flashback scenes were quite poignant at times. For the most part I liked Vala but I think there was just one time where her humor was a little too forced (the "I haven't been this disappointed..." line). I liked Mitchell, too, though I thought his transition from stoic to "kid in a candy store" was a little too abrupt. It's hard not to compare Mitchell and Crichton just because I'm so used to seeing Ben Browder as Crichton. But I think he was different -- especially from later-season Crichton. Gotta say, I haven't heard that low, calm voice since Farscape season 1

I liked Landry for the most part except I thought he played it a little too thick in the board room scene. And jeez, Daniel, I realize we've only got 42 minutes but yipes, I think every season his explanations get faster and faster.

I loved the medbay scene!
            I loved the Merlin cave! (Yes, I also loved the Thor's Chariot ep too )
            Teal'c! Bullets bounce!!! (That was the closest BB came to a Jack-ism there)
            My favorite Vala line... oh goodness, lots of them I did like her "One thing I hate is a bald-faced lie"

Comment

Well to be honest I forgot Crichton's name while I was watching, which is pretty good for Mitchell.

Laughed at the part where the tech was staring at Vala's cleavage and then jerked his eyes away.
              I will rule the world... and find that truly good cup of coffee.

Comment

•MEAN ROTTEN NASTY EVIL CLIFFHANGER!!

•Season 9 is definitely looking up. I think Vala and Mitchell are going to put a lot of much-needed life back into SG-1. This afternoon, I couldn't even remember where Season 8 left off! (I missed the marathon last week ) Daniel and Vala, though... they were too much. Her response to Mitchell's "Ladies first" was hilarious!

•Speaking of Mitchell: "WHOA! WHOA! WHOA, MAN! Bullets bounce!" I nearly choked to death on my laughter, trying not to wake up my baby brother.

•As for Daniel, I'm really, really glad that beard is temporary. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

•First impression: I don't like Landry, either. But I'm keeping an open mind.

•I loved the bits of Arthurian legend. I'm something of a mythology buff myself... actually, Stargate is what got me hooked on Egyptian myth, and I've been going from there ever since. So now, as I'm really starting to look into Celtic mythology, we meet again, so to speak.

If the rest of the season lives up to the premier, I can definitely see SG-1 going for a tenth year – or more.
                Last edited by CeeKay Sheppard; 18 July 2005, 05:25 PM. Reason: Accuract of quote

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

I too think the Celtic mythology bit is an inspired choice. I remember the Indiana Jones novels ranged from Egyptology (SG-1--done) to Amazonian (SG-1 done) to Celtic (SG-1 is now taking up...)
                  sigpic

Comment

Started off pretty good and kind of went downhill from there, imo. Lay off the comedy, please.

Ben Browder did a fine job, I thought, though he’s practically the only reason I’m willing to give this season a chance. Could really see Mitchell’s disappointment with not getting to be with “the” SG-1. Though there are some things I still think they could tweak about the character’s behavior that I didn’t like. I much rather like the low-key approach. I'm glad he's excited to get to go on these adventures as long as that is not played up in every episode, but this is the first so......... I am not going to label him as a Jack-wannabe. I didn’t see any resemblance. Course that’s just my opinion, and it's still early, but I think tptb will try to avoid any glaring similarities.

I might even have to give BB as Landry a chance. I’m not totally embracing his character, but at least he’s not some stiff suit that I thought he was going to be.

As I suspected Vala is still there for the cheap laugh or sex joke, but the character was somewhat of an improvement over PU, my most despised episode of the entire series. And WOo hoo…. they made reference to my “favorite” bit in PU. Something to do with a fire extinguisher. *Yes, I refuse to let it go and will mention it anytime I can.* CB gives a nice performance though. Did we honestly need the stupid joke about Cam and Danny being so-called “twins” with their looks. Where in the frak did tptb ever come up with that idea? Do they honestly think I’m that stupid and that blind that I can’t tell MS and BB apart. Jeez. Daniel wears glasses. Enough said. Didn’t need that unnecessary beard. Gah. I still can’t get over that they thought I was that stupid.

I like Teal’c’s new hair style. He doesn’t seem too impressed with Mitchell yet though.

So I will say this episode was not quite the cringe fest that I was expecting, but it still had the flaws that I was expecting such as the cheap humor. Oh how I yearn for the intelligent humor that once was Stargate……….

*TPTB reading list of homages to incorporate before SG-1 is tossed by Sci-Fi*

Entry: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom homage. *minus the spikes but that option is still open* TPTB, “Check. That’s one more down guys. Let's see what else is on this list..........”
                    Last edited by LoneStar1836; 16 July 2005, 02:47 AM.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Great episode. Loved every second of it. I damn near pissed myself when the scientists wanted to put an android on SG-1 XD

The whole booby trapped temple thing also leaves me feeling like I just watched an episode from season 1 or 2. There's no mother ships, no super soldiers, just puzzles and caving in rooms. That's old school Stargate right there, ladies and gentlemen.

Comment

I came into this not expecting anything. I figured that was the best way to approach it. As a result I was able to leave the past behind and move on with the new characters.

Quick review:

Mitchell - He's the new leader of SG-1 but it has been disbanded and he has to pull everything back together. Understanding his situation makes it easier for the fans to accept his character.

The New Commander - Didn't really care for him too much. Hopefully he doesn't get a lot of air time. I would rather see General Hammond return.

Vala - She's interesting. Would be better if her character wasn't portrayed that dark. Could be cool if she changes her ways and joins SG-1. I wouldn't have a problem with 5 members on the team.

King Arthur legend - Makes a lot of sense. Good way to bring the characters together.

Overall I thought it was a solid show with a good future.

Comment

Lt. Col Mitchell to Teal'c:

"Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey! Bullets Bounce...." *points in different directions*

best line yet this season...isn't saying much yet, but it will hold true!

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                            For me it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. That's not necessarily a bad thing though because I figure that, with the new characters and new storylines, that it's basically a new show so there will have to be a lot of exposition so it may take a few episodes to really hit it's stride. I miss Sam but it was a pleasant surprise to see her, even briefly, in the episodes as I wasn't expecting it. I also didn't expect the seemingly close and friendly relationship between Mitchell and Sam. I knew that SG-1 knew of him beforehand but they seemed to share a nice repertoire which hopefully bodes well for future episodes.
                            I'll play off your reply, since you covered a lot of the same ground I want to.

The pacing of the episode felt like a pilot episode to me, rather like the first hour of SGA's 'Rising'. It was building on a familiar foundation, while introducing new characters and situations. But with so much familiar material remaining, they were able to jump into the real story about half way through the ep.

I had some reservations about Vala but, needlessly cleavagey outside, she was actually quite enjoyable. The banter between her and Daniel was actually a high point of the episode for me. It seemed more kid-like than the ultra sexual back and forth of PU which I feel is a good thing. I liked the way Mitchell just sort of stood back and let them go at it.
                            She's like an annoying little sister, saying exactly what has the greatest effect to her chosen target. I've got two younger sisters, so I had plenty of that when we were kids. It's miserable when you're the victim of it, but funny as hell when youget to see someone else suffer the same thing. I'm looking forward to five more episodes of this.

There were, of course, the obligatory nods to Farscape. I kind of wish that they wouldn't play up the Farscape angle so that SG-1 could sink or swim on its own merit but they weren't too campy. I actually laughed quite a bit at Vala's remark about the 1 in 10 chance of the "baby" being Daniel's then her nod and wink towards Mitchell. It's something that only a Farscape fan would get.
                            I've watched the first three seasons of Farscape in recent weeks, which I had never seen before. I think both actors from that show have done well in establishing new characters in SG-1. We'll need to see more of Mitchell to see how differently Ben Browder plays him, but he already seems to be a little more...stable than Chriton.

I haven't really gotten any impression of Landry yet. He's very dry and so different from Hammond or Jack that I think it will take longer to get a read on his character. Though his impatience with Daniel's mythology babble seemed oddly familiar.

All in all it was pretty decent, if perhaps a bit slow, but as I said I think that once they get into the action (now that they've gotten most of the back stories out of the way) it will pick up speed.
                            This was just part 1 of 2. I almost wish they could have aired both together, so we could get the full effect of the new characters and story. We haven't even met the Ori yet! (My only significant disappointment with the episode.)

a time to mourn

Comment

I agree with most of what the majority of the poster have said. It was a great start to Season 9.

Liked the scene between Walter and Landry, it was funny.

Daniel can do without the beard.

Liked the flashbacks. It was a good introduction to Mitchell. Found out that his mother was still living.

Comment

Argh, *so* jealous..I wanna see too =[ Season 8 hasn't even showed on television yet O_O I'm incredibly PRO-season-9 - basically pro-continuation-of-stargateSG1
                                Teal'c: Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson. They will, in fact, calm up.

Comment

Working...
                                X