Avalon, Part 1 (901)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greytop
    Seeing Sam there and talking to Mitchell. I was just wondering if they were friend at the Academy together. By the way they sounded talking to each, they have been friends a long time.
    Well JM said we will learn more about Mitchell's background throughout the season. It was not bad I would give it 5 out of 10 hopefully it should improve not the best season premier but still pretty good.
    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

I totally agree with you. I just hope when Vala said to Mitchell, " try playing hard to get" that we won't be seeing a Mitchell/Carter ship.--I couldn't stand that. I say give some of the ship to the boys!! As for hardly seeing Carter in the episode-thats fine by me, I think the cast is great the way they are!! I don't understand why daniel is taking Vala's s*** though. I mean come on "ladies first" and he GOES first-whats up with that!!

Comment

Oh and another thing, when BB and MS first introduced themselves, Mitchell said "my friends call me Cameron" and MS said "Daniel". Since Mitchell is calling MS -Jackson, are the not going to be friends then. I really liked the friendship between Jack and daniel that is something I'm going to MISS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
          Thoughts:

-Wasn't that impressed with Cam so far. He just seemed awkward (perhaps intentionally?) and his flashbacks seemed out of place for some reason. I'm also neutral with Landry; he's no Hammond but maybe he'll fit into his niche later.

-Surprisingly, I actually liked Vala when she was serious and smart in this ep. Her cutesy sex humor throughout the ep and her childish impatience with Daniel in the tomb were absolutely grating though. Hopefully the later eps will have less of that and be better. And her outfit looked...uncomfortable at best.

-Disliked Daniel's beard (and TPTB couldn't have just used his glasses to tell those two apart??). I felt bad for him when he couldn't go to Atlantis. Worse, it was all Vala's fault and she didn't seem the least bit sorry. Their relationship looks more parent/child so far, and I'll be extremely worried if TPTB start making it into a ship.

-It didn't seem like much happened in this ep. Most of it was Cam flashbacks and him getting the team back together, coupled with this Merlin/sword in the stone arc that makes me a bit wary...

-Teal'c didn't do much, but I did appreciate his smirk at Cam after firing the bullets.

-Why on earth did Sam go to R&D instead of lead SG1??
          Because sam and jack broke up?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Weir's Hair Gel
            Good episode... a little slow to start off, but I am sure that wasn't helped by the complete lack of opening credits...

The only thing I didn't like is that they spent too much time making sure that we, as fans, knew that the characters of SG-1 accepted Mitchell and thought of him as a righteous dude... perhaps thinking that fans would accept Mitchell if we knew that Carter and Daniel and Teal'c and O'Neill accepted him and thought he was a hero. I personally didn't need that connection so much, although it saves the whole "Jonas must prove himself worthy!!!" problem from the beginning of season 6... or does it?...

Despite their apparently positive view of Mitchell, Daniel and especially Teal'c don't seem to thrilled with the guy... so maybe there is some Jonas action going on anyways.

Regardless, BESIDES this problem, it was a good ep. Slow... but that is to be expected. I also expect things to really pick up next week. The feel of the show is so different now, but that is not really a bad thing.

[Also, the three Farscape jokes... not sure if I liked 'em or disliked 'em. I think at least one was the actors ad-libbing.]
            Ok, what were the farscape jokes?

Comment

I've read that they were:

1) I've never seen you before. Vala to Mitchel.
              2) Vala Winks at Mitchell about the baby (I think their FS characters had a baby together).

I can't for the life of me remeber what the 3rd one was.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope
                It's also a kind of invitation to take a look at this other show...
                But if you don't know what the joke is about or where it's from to start with, it's not much of an invitation is it?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mtee1958
                  That is exactly it!!!!!!!!! It's a tv show -- lean back and enjoy! Sometimes I hate coming onto forums because people are going to blast it for not doing this or that. One question -- was it fun/exciting and/or heart pounding to watch. Did you spend an enjoyable hour watching? If yes, then it did it's job. Don't over analyze -- just watch and enjoy. If you hated watching, then stop - if you can't get over not having RDA on or somesuch -- then stop. I frankly couldn't watch Jonas, it bothered me and was no longer fun - so I stopped watching. It seemed crazy to me to sit there and complain yet continue watching every week. It's tv and that means it should entertain you in some way. I thought it was a good ep -- the time raced by -- I chuckled at times and I came away satisfied. I fully expect to have weeks where the writing is off and it's not as good -- show me a tv show that consistently delivered week after week, year after year. So for those off weeks, you shrug and go - there's always next week.
                  People keep watching because they hope that somehow the magic that they first noticed will be recaptured once again. And when it's not they're dissapointed and they want to express their disappointment. Last I checked this wasn't the "I love Stargate, it can do no wrong" forum. It was a discussion forum, for people to express their opinion good or bad as to how they feel about a certain episode or the way the show is going.

You say don't watch the show if you don't like it, I say, don't read the negative opinions if you don't like them. It's easy to do. People usually say right at the beginning of a post that they either loved it, hated it, or felt neutral about it. Just hit that down arrow key and skip the ones that said they hated it. Even the ones who feel neutral if that bothers you.

I know that I personally skimmed the ones that start out with "Awesome", "Fantastic Episode", "I loved it" etc., simply because I'm not in the mood to read a gush fest about an episode that I felt neutral about. Doesn't mean that I don't think that those who "loved it" shouldn't express their opinion and gush with others who also "loved it".
                  sigpic

Comment

When I watched this for the second time, I kind of got a "Children of the Gods" vibe. It is definately a transitional episode from the SG-1 of the past 8 years to the SG-1 of the next however many years. Old faces are still around, but new faces need to be introduced.

This has probably been mentioned before but I missed it the first time around. Carter was on the Dadelaus working on the hyperdrive and the some Asgard uplink thing. That's why she was called to the bridge and Cam said he'd buy her breakfast when she was back on solid ground. And why she was so busy since the ship was getting ready to leave.

Now it makes sense.

I liked the episode even better the second time around.

Favorite line of the night: SG-Me.

Jace
                    Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Originally posted by Jace021903
                      Favorite line of the night: SG-Me.

Jace
                      Hehehehe.

When I told my sister that quote she said: "It gives a whole new meaning to 'SG-1'."

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                        Last I checked this wasn't the "I love Stargate, it can do no wrong" forum. It was a discussion forum, for people to express their opinion good or bad as to how they feel about a certain episode or the way the show is going.
                        Emphasis mine, and A-the heck freaking-men! I'm always amazed that this "don't post anything bad" argument continuously pops up. I liked the episode. I liked it a lot, and have watched it 5 times at least. But, people who didn't like it have every right to post that they didn't, and heck, to post [I]why[I] they didn't.

rnwhocares: Oh and another thing, when BB and MS first introduced themselves, Mitchell said "my friends call me Cameron" and MS said "Daniel". Since Mitchell is calling MS -Jackson, are the not going to be friends then. I really liked the friendship between Jack and daniel that is something I'm going to MISS!!!
                        Well, I hate hearing "Jackson" in reference to Daniel. But, I don't get any indication that Mitchell said it to imply that he didn't want to be friends. He seemed to really respect Daniel, and like him as much as you can like someone after a brief aquaintance. Maybe he also doesn't feel right calling someone by their first name after a brief aquaintance, even if he did ask Daniel to call him Cameron. And, the very fact that he did says he wants to be friends, even if he does use the hated (to me) "Jackson"

Or, they could just be trying to establish that Mitchell's relationships with each member of SG-1 are not going to be cookie cutter forms of Jack's.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

the biggest farscape related incident was one where vala first comes through the gate and says to cam that she cant have met him before, she'd surely recognise him, the look they give each other is priceless

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                            Well, I hate hearing "Jackson" in reference to Daniel. But, I don't get any indication that Mitchell said it to imply that he didn't want to be friends. He seemed to really respect Daniel, and like him as much as you can like someone after a brief aquaintance. Maybe he also doesn't feel right calling someone by their first name after a brief aquaintance, even if he did ask Daniel to call him Cameron. And, the very fact that he did says he wants to be friends, even if he does use the hated (to me) "Jackson"

Or, they could just be trying to establish that Mitchell's relationships with each member of SG-1 are not going to be cookie cutter forms of Jack's.
                            Also Cam is in the Military and some habits are hard to break. I still call everyone Sir and\or Ma'am which sometimes annoys people.

A little Cam military thing that I thought was funny was when Landry stood up to get in Daneils face at the breifing, Cam stood up to attention and Landry had to wave him off. Kind of like when Carter came to attention the first time GENERAL Oneil walked into the room ("I will say this once Carter, At Ease"). Never underestimated the power of Military indoctrination.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

it's very possible that cam will use first names off duty and last names on duty
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                                Originally posted by shipperahoy
                                I actually laughed quite a bit at Vala's remark about the 1 in 10 chance of the "baby" being Daniel's then her nod and wink towards Mitchell. It's something that only a Farscape fan would get.
                                Uhu. But can you imagine how absolutely senseless this remark seemed to someone who's never watched Farscape? Inside jokes are always problematic when they're not also a little bit funny for an outsider because then the outsider realizes that it was an inside joke and feels left out. Making parts of your audience feel left out is never a good thing.
                                I feel like the worst Farscape fan ever. I didn't even get this reference to Farscape. I just thought it was Vala enhancing her "I've got a guy in every port" image. And it worked for me in that context. But NOW I get it. Yay me.

I don't mind little nods and winks to Farscape as long as the scene still works without understanding the reference. As above, I didn't pick up the Farscape stuff but just went straight to Vala's nympho image. So I didn't feel left out at all.

I did think that the hammy (but slightly amusing) "WHOA......WHOA ....bullets bounce" scene seemed like a homage to Crichton and D'Argo. Ben seemed to be channeling Crichton in that scene. But I'm not sure non-Farscape fans would think it was out of place. Except that the characterization seemed uneven.

I feel like Mitchell is really a work in progress and that Ben is feeling his way with this character. Probably experimenting with a few different things. Makes me wonder how well this character's backstory and personality has been set down in the character "bible" by RCC. Maybe they're just seeing what works (personality-wise) as they go.

As far as the medal thing goes. Yeah, it seems a little much that Mitchell received the Congressional Medal of Honor. Especially now that I've seen all the info Skydiver posted. But frankly that just went over my head in first viewing as one of those "establish this guy as a true hero" scenes.

I think medal ceremonies are usually difficult for TV and movies to pull off without them being inevitably schmaltzy. I've never particularly enjoyed them on Stargate - whoever the recipient is. I always cringe when I hear fans calling for more medals for their favorite characters. I'm like "please, no, not another medal ceremony". LOL! But maybe I'm alone in that. Maybe that's why I just passed over that whole scene with Mitchell getting the medal.
                                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                                X