No announcement yet.

Citizen Joe (815)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great episode and im sure I remeber Jack saying in one episode dreaming about being a barber and stuff like that.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

This is my first post and probably my last since I have only been spurred ito action by the "episode" citizen joe.

I have watched sg-1 since it first aired and have dilligently purchased every season on disc. Season 8 has been bad but I toughed it out and waited optimistically. But after citizen Joe I am giving up on Sg-1 completely.

The episode focused on a complete nobody. If i want to see a barber telling stories I have one down the road i can go and see! Sg-1 used to be sci-fi action and adventure with intelligent storylines,a cut above other sci-fi shows. But after the pile of crap that was citizen joe I am compelled to stop watching stargate entirely and I do not want that episode in my dvd collection.

The episode should really have been titled "Citizen Joe gets put in a rubber room"

Comment

Originally posted by oldgater
        This is my first post and probably my last since I have only been spurred ito action by the "episode" citizen joe.

I have watched sg-1 since it first aired and have dilligently purchased every season on disc. Season 8 has been bad but I toughed it out and waited optimistically. But after citizen Joe I am giving up on Sg-1 completely.

The episode focused on a complete nobody. If i want to see a barber telling stories I have one down the road i can go and see! Sg-1 used to be sci-fi action and adventure with intelligent storylines,a cut above other sci-fi shows. But after the pile of crap that was citizen joe I am compelled to stop watching stargate entirely and I do not want that episode in my dvd collection.

The episode should really have been titled "Citizen Joe gets put in a rubber room"
        Dude, hold on! Just wait until you see the next three episodes! Reckoning Parts 1 & 2 and Threads. If you thought season 8 has been bad, just like I have, then you'll be completely blown away by these three episodes. These episodes are SG-1 at it's best! I haven't seen a truly great episodes since season 7's Lost City. In fact Reckoning Part 2 has easily entered my top ten favourite SG-1 episodes and Threads is just outside it... probably the top 20.

Please man watch these episodes and if they don't change your mind about season 8 then well... I don't know what to say.
        "You ended that sentence with a preposition!!" - Jack O'Niell

My DVD Collection

Comment

Wow, more people than I thought really disliked this episode! Funny, how I completely loved it.

For one, it's been said it was yet another RDA-light episode. I disagree. In fact, he's the fulcrum on which the episode turns. In terms of "light", this episode was much lighter on the other members of SG1. This episode didn't have that much RDA, focusing more on Joe, but the scenes when RDA was present were the best and really demonstrated some great O'Neillisms, which is what this show is really about for me . As a strict comparison to most of season 8 episodes, I thought there was more RDA on the whole (excepting certain earlier episodes).

I'd be interested to know just how much of the episode was dedicated to the "clips". I'd be willing to bet it's somewhere around 5 minutes, maybe 8 max. For a 42 minute episode, that's not bad. I could be wrong, but I truely thought the clips were kept purposefully short and sweet and far between.

I think from time it's important to remind the viewer that although SG1 is sci-fi, it's based in a very real world and in that world there are a whole LOT of normal people who don't know about the SG. A little perspective on reality is important... show how most people would react to suddenly finding out about the SG. It also brings to mind how people on earth have bought into the various cover stories for events I never imagine the government would be able to cover up. The part of this episode when Joe described the "truth vs. cover-story" was very interesting to me.

I just watched "Emancipation" yesterday. Although a classic episode in it's story telling, it's a story which can only be done so often without the exploits of such trips becoming the topic of discussion back on earth. I think the earth based episodes make the off-world episodes seem that much more realistic... the team still has to come home and deal with results/fallout of their off-world actions.

My 0.02$.

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
            A great episode and im sure I remeber Jack saying in one episode dreaming about being a barber and stuff like that.
            I read the "official" review, and the comments on Stargate fans does hold true, to an extent. My brother and niece end up having to sit through Stargate Monday Night every second week they come to visit (LOL). As far as Joe's employee applying for a job at Piggly Wiggly, it might make sense if the town Joe lived in was located very close to the Indiana-Kentucky border. Regarding "Citizen Joe," I had thought initially that this particular episode was going to suck bigtime. While it may not be one of the greatest, I enjoyed it too. After all, it was from a different point of view. While it does seem odd that Jack never mentioned anything, perhaps he had written off as "wishful thinking" on his part. After all, how many times has he had his fishing trips in Minnesota interrupted or cancelled by work-related matters? For those of us who are too connected to our workplaces and had sometimes gone without a real vacation, it is understandable.
            Last edited by Bastet11191967; 24 February 2005, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Did the scene near the end where Joe says to Daniel that he belongs on the team seem familiar to anyone?

Just the way he said it reminded me of Pierre Bernard's rant on Conan O'Brien where he says the team is better without Daniel. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was funny that the writers could have been firing back at Pierre with Joe's statement.

Comment

I was laughing so hard through this whole episode...I thought, "Hey, a geeky bald guy who knows all about the Stargate program! Didn't we do this...twice?" So from the teaser-thing, I wasn't looking forward to it. After watching it, though, I wouldn't have missed this one for anything!

It said everything the fans like to say...down to "About Pete Shannahan..."

They even bashed a couple eps, which was hilarious. And the Daniel thing was awesome.

The "plot," if one can even use that word within 10 miles of this ep, was nonexistent. The resolution is...Jack goes and explains the STARGATE to his wife? Yeah right. Worst ending ever...but still a great ep, because plot wasn't important to the ep, and neither were the clips, really. Which was good, because the ones they had weren't really any of the good ones, IMO. The humor was everything, and it was awesome. From the beer-omlette in the beginning to the fan-stuff that was throughout, it was HILARIOUS!
                Last edited by yasureubetcha; 28 February 2005, 10:50 PM.

Comment

This ep was...silly. Not one of my favorite eps--it came across to me as a bit of a throwaway. The fact that I think it was mostly a chance for the writers to poke fun at the more rabid fans niggles a bit, but I'll live. And they made it sweet enough that I really can't be too mad. The scenes with Joe at the SGC were hilarious--even more so after it occured to me that his reactions were basically what mine would've been. Which apparently dooms me for inescapable dweebhood. Oh well. I'll live.

The "...and I won't say anything about your feelings for..." part was silly, as was the "...and about Pete..." bit.

I liked the fact that they went through and made fun of the series as a whole: it was like they spoofed it shades of "Wormhole X-Treme!" but actually made it funny. (And I loved that they made "Wormhole X-Treme!" part of the ep).

Joe's wife was so much like my parents and more tolerant friends (read: the ones who let me bable about SG and don't walk away while I'm talking) that it almost wasn't funny.

Almost.

Last word: an episode that should've annoyed the hell outta me and didn't, for a variety of reasons but mostly because it didn't take itself too seriously.

Comment

Yeah alot of people really dont like this episode. IMO I found this to be one of the best "clip shows" - really it was just a nod and a wink to the fans. Bringing Dan Castellenata in play Joe was the right choice, I warmed to him throughout this show. And like a few other people the part where Joe see Daniel dying and screams nooooo - just reminded me of all the times I've shouted and raged at the TV
                    When taken on its merits as a clip show - I think it fairs quite well, I laughed, got a lump in my throat, sympathised, and recalled a few converstaions I've had about the show that are scarily familiar.

Comment

I quite enjoyed this episode. It got confusing at time with the flashbacks but it wasn't too bad. Being a writer myself, I tend to watch the episodes for its creativity and writing rather that the film direcition.
                      Fed up with the current justice system? StarPol might make you happy

Comment

I read some of hte posts about Citizen Joe but I really liked it hihi About the Furlings,about Whormhole Extreme,Jonas He was really sad about Daniel dying
                        I found it cool that O'Neill has descided to talk to Joe's wife about the whole thing at the end he opened the conversation with it is all true. I think that they'll sign a confidentiality contract or so. I hope that Jack now has succeded in saving Joe's marriage.Joe only told the thruth to his wife and she didn't believe him.Hopefully she makes it right now.Hope they won't divorce
                        Lord Zedd

Comment

Sorry, folks, this ep is not for me. I feel that, rather than it being a nod to the fans, it came across as a big mickey take of them.

I also don't like clip shows, to me they're used to trim the budget and make a cheapie. They don't move the story on, and and tend to be used to pad out a series.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                            I was laughing so hard through this whole episode...I thought, "Hey, a geeky bald guy who knows all about the Stargate program! Didn't we do this...twice?" So from the teaser-thing, I wasn't looking forward to it. After watching it, though, I wouldn't have missed this one for anything!

It said everything the fans like to say...down to "About Pete Shannahan..."

They even bashed a couple eps, which was hilarious. And the Daniel thing was awesome.

The "plot," if one can even use that word within 10 miles of this ep, was nonexistent. The resolution is...Jack goes and explains the STARGATE to his wife? Yeah right. Worst ending ever...but still a great ep, because plot wasn't important to the ep, and neither were the clips, really. Which was good, because the ones they had weren't really any of the good ones, IMO. The humor was everything, and it was awesome. From the beer-omlette in the beginning to the fan-stuff that was throughout, it was HILARIOUS!
                            Yas, I so enjoy reading your posts. You are one of the most insightful posters in the Forum, and you never fail to make a point, usually, with wit, humor and intelligence.

I too enjoyed Citizen Joe, exactly for what it was.....a bit of a poke at all of us, fan and "stars" alike. The episode was just that, and didn't try to be anything more, which made it delightful. I thoroughly enjoyed it and agree that the casting was superb!

I think it's episodes like Citizen Joe, that have kept SG-1 alive and kicking for 8 years, now, hopefully, for more. Every once in awhile, TPTB throw us a curve ball, instead of a fast one.
                            "After all is said and done, more is said, than done." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by JackDaniels
                              Just two other things to add.

1. I have to wonder what was going through Joe's mind on three other occassions:
                              1. when Jack had the ancient repositories downloaded into his mind
                              2. when Jack was in the time loop
                              3. when he was frozen in antarctica - did Joe just have a couple of months break from the visions?

and finally, did anyone else notice how clearly visible AT's bump was in this episode. You couldn't see nothing in Full Alert, but it was clear as day in Citizen Joe. I have to wonder if they're just going to hide her behind a desk for most of the rest of the series, or if this was filmed further along the line.

and that's all folks!
                              Hadnt noticed the bump *rushes over to video player to play back recording*

You have raised some good points, wht happend to Joe durring those times, who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, I quite enjoyed this episode. It was a clip episode, and those will never be my favourite (I rewatch stuff enough or watch it closely the first time, I don't need clips thanks!), but it was pretty good for being a clip episode. So my comments and ratings henceforth will be about the non-clip aspects of the show. I do prefer a full team SG1 ep, but if I like to make the most of what I'm given.

I thought Dan C. did a great job as Joe. He's clearly a very talented actor. The rest of the minor characters were well cast and well acted also. I particularly liked his wife Charlene and his barber shop assistants.

As other have noted there were many fun moments where the writers were clearly commenting on fandom, and I thought they did a really good job, picking out major concerns and unfinished stories that have really troubled fans. I found it sympathetic, a good-natured nod in our direction. It's nice to know they are aware of our presence (even if they don't seem to necessarily listen to us ).

I liked the contrast between the female fans (Charlene, the woman in the barber shop) vs the male fans (Joe, his assistants, his son), with the women bringing up the 'interpersonal relations' and 'emotional' aspects with the men being more focused on tech and action. Obviously it's not that cut and dry (I love action and tech, personally, and Joe cried when Daniel died), but I thought it was interesting how they portrayed different aspects of fandom.

The bit with the ancient stones/communication device was a nice plot solution and could be useful in the future. I didn't have issues with what Joe knew despite Jack not always being close to the stone -- as someone else stated I think that as their psychic bond grew the stones became less necessary. I noticed that Joe only used to get the visions when actually holding the stone, but as time went on he would get them even with just the stone in his pocket or possibly (it's not shown clearly, but we could guess) when he doesn't even have it on him.

There were some brilliant lines/moments beyond the fandom -- the shippy Jack moment that Joe says he'll keep quiet about, then mentions Pete, the 'fake gun' scene, the nod towards Jonas, the 'alarm/dog/door unlocked' convo, Jack's lack of alarm about or mention of seeing into the life of a barber for 7 years (which didn't bother me as it seems to have bothered alot of viewers - I subscribe to the 'people would have thought he was crazy' theory). These little gemlike moments made the ep quite enjoyable for me.

My only quibbles were (and if you read my reviews of eps, you'd note that I RARELY nitpick, so it's gotta be pretty obvious and major for me to complain about it:

-Joe's son growing up so fast, seemed unrealistic (I like how one of you phrased it as 'nanite induced' lol!).

-Jack not recognizing Joe when he was confronted by him, despite seeing into his thoughts for 7 years...serious plot hole there.

6-7/10 would be my overall rating.

Comment

Working...
                                X