No announcement yet.

It's Good To Be King (813)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are more then welcome to write anything you like donnie_darko. Still remember your excellent posts about Prometheus. Some of the best work I've read here on the forum.

Comment

Out of curiosity, is there anything to dislike about "It's Good to be King"? I'm trying to figure out whether this is a new classic or it just appealed to this particular forum.

Later,
      Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
        Out of curiosity, is there anything to dislike about "It's Good to be King"? I'm trying to figure out whether this is a new classic or it just appealed to this particular forum.

Later,
        Graculus

Read my Post page 4 for a rather negative rant.
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

I believe this is one of the first episodes that was good this season. Most of them so far have been pretty boring. Not having Jack go off world really hurts the show in my opinion.

Atlantis has better storylines right now...
          Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
          - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
          - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
          Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
          Mayboune: *shrugs*
          - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
            They ruined the humour potential for Aries (i mean they could have least hired the guy from Hercules)
            ROTFLMAO! Now that would be funny! I don't like the idea of just inventing a random throw-away Goa'uld to be defeated. Resorting to Ares is falling back on the same old tired Greco-Roman cycle. :-P

But I haven't seen the ep yet, and I'm excited that so many people liked it. Are you all that sure that Maybourne turned good? It could just be opportunistic for him to be good at the minute...

I agree with the general sentiment that Stargate loses something when Jack doesn't go off-world. I'm still pimping the idea that he should train recruits in the field.

Later,
            Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by donnie_darko
              Spoilers:

We have confirmation that Jack has the Ancient gene, although it was implied by his past use of the technology, we can rule out that the repository of knowledge had anything to do with this ability to use the technology.

We can also judge how closely related Major John Sheppard and General Jack O’Neill to the ancients by their skills with the Puddle Jumpers.

In my opinion Sheppard had an easer time controlling the ship than O’Neill. But this does not mean Sheppard is closer, it just means his thinking process is more in sync. with Ancient technology than O’Neill. This could be due to the fact that Sheppard has an unusual gift for math. When O’Neill concentrated he was able to much better than the other people who were given or were born with the Ancient gene. O'Neill was able to fly the ship and dodge fire and use the weapons system very quickly.

So Sheppard is a natural but so is O’Neill, but Sheppard is more of a natural than O’Neill.

I would put it to a difference in personality and past experiences. First, as to personality, Sheppard is more, to use a term, loosey-goosey than Jack. Control is important to Jack. I don't mean controlling others: Jack is very much in command of his team, but he was never a martinet or a dictator. He allowed them a lot of freedom of speech, thought and action.

However, when it comes to himself, he needs to be in control of himself and of his life. That's one of the reasons that the idea of implantation bothers him so much (a fear made worse by Kanan's actions); he would lose control of himself to an invader. I think that he had some problem at the beginning with "surrendering" a certain amount of control to the Ancient technology.

Second, unlike Jack, Sheppard has never been invaded by Ancient knowledge, to the point where it was destroying him. I think Jack would instinctively pull back from "joining" with the technology on the ship because of a subconscious fear of the same thing happening.

J.
              "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                Interesting... I thought that eps were usually shown in the US first. I have no idea why I thought that, but usually the US posters are slapped at for 'spoiling' episodes before they're shown elsewhere. At least, that's been MY experience.

Sci-Fi always does a midseason break. US gets the first half of the new season (since season 6) several months before the UK and other parts of the world - we got up to episode 10 several months before UK this year.

So we started out getting the new eps first.

Then they get Stargate and don't have mid-season break or anything (just usual small breaks) and get the rest of the season before the US.

The UK will be what, 4-5 episodes ahead of us?

Atlantis is a new series, so the showing the new eps in Canada is new. But I'm not sure if they are even done with SG-1 season 7 there.

Comment

ROTFLMAO! Now that would be funny! I don't like the idea of just inventing a random throw-away Goa'uld to be defeated. Resorting to Ares is falling back on the same old tired Greco-Roman cycle. :-P

Uh, you are aware, aren't you, that Kevin Smith, who played Ares in the series "Hercules", is deceased?

I don't have a problem with "new" Goa'ulds. It makes sense that, between the ones we've eliminated, Anubis has eliminated and Ba'al has eliminated, there would a power vacuum in certain places and younger Goa'ulds (or former lesser Goa'ulds who had served now-gone System Lords) would try to carve out their own territory.

J.
                  "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                    Ummmm... possibly a stupid question: How is everyone 'reviewing' and 'rating' this episode, when it hasn't aired yet? At least, it hasn't aired in MY reality. Is everyone in an alternate universe, or did you time-travel in order to see it?
                    Hmm... let's see... *checks jyh's location* Ah! North Carolina. The USA.

Well, contrary to popular myth, the USA isn't the only country in the world, and places such as the United Kingdom and *gasp* Australia (for once) are actually ahead of you.

Oh and I've come to the conclusion - most shows would be improved if they added a Puddle Jumper to every episode. Doesn't matter if it's Stargate SG-1 or Law & Order: SVU. Puddle Jumpers make things better.

BYE
                    "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks Puddle Jumpers are frumpy? Minivans for the soccer moms of the universe? Other than the cool thing about getting stuck in the gate, Puddle Jumpers just seem like cargo ships to me. I like the pointy ships!

Later,
                      Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                        Interesting... I thought that eps were usually shown in the US first. I have no idea why I thought that, but usually the US posters are slapped at for 'spoiling' episodes before they're shown elsewhere. At least, that's been MY experience.

usually, the us gets the first half of the seasons first. they finish in sept or so, and go on hiatus until january. the uk starts in sept and run straight through, which means they usually pull ahead of the us in the spring

it comes out 50/50, with the us being ahead for half, the uk for the other half

this year, it seems the whole world is ahead of the us for the second half
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

all in all, i enjoyed it

there was some tension and drama, harry is a favorite character of mine, he's so annoyingly irreverant. there was jsut the right amount of humor to lighten things up, some great lines

jack got to go off world, sam was in charge

it was just well rounded fun

as ot Kevin Smith, he died tragically 3-4 (?) years ago. I believe he was killed in an accident, i want to say on the set of something he was doing, but i could be getting him confused with someone else.

so, while it would have been nice to have the most famous Aries, it's just not possible
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks Puddle Jumpers are frumpy? Minivans for the soccer moms of the universe? Other than the cool thing about getting stuck in the gate, Puddle Jumpers just seem like cargo ships to me. I like the pointy ships!
                            Joe Flanigan called it a Winnebago during the special that aired on the TV Guide channel. lol

It's fun to see that lots of people enjoyed this one! Can't wait to see it....

And yes, sadly Kevin Smith ("Ares") was killed in 2002 while filming a movie China. He fell on the set from quite a height as I recall. They rushed him to the hospital but he died several days later from his severe injuries. Very sad.
                            Last edited by keshou; 06 January 2005, 05:32 PM.
                            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
                              Hmm... let's see... *checks jyh's location* Ah! North Carolina. The USA.

Well, contrary to popular myth, the USA isn't the only country in the world, and places such as the United Kingdom and *gasp* Australia (for once) are actually ahead of you.

BYE

Now, I know you're just joshing me, but it was months of observation on this board, not American arrogance, that led to my assumption. When I first joined the board I really did get my hand slapped for talking about something from season 5 or 6, because it could potentially 'spoil' for some people in Australia or someplace. Now I have to wait another few weeks for the 2nd half of the season. :-( Can't wait for the 'behind the scenes thing, though. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                as ot Kevin Smith, he died tragically 3-4 (?) years ago. I believe he was killed in an accident, i want to say on the set of something he was doing, but i could be getting him confused with someone else.

so, while it would have been nice to have the most famous Aries, it's just not possible
                                Yes he died after a fall in China the day after finishing a movie. What really sucks is that he had just landed a role in that Bruce Willis movie "Tears of the Sun" and it would have been his first Hollywood type movie.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                                X