It's Good To Be King (813)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
    I have a question: nothing in the ep explains how Daniel could tell that the writing was only about 250 years old. I'm not talking about the events it may describe, but when it was actually written. He didn't have any specialized equipment (a la C14 dating) or anything that would tell him that, and we've never heard of any difference in Ancient writing that dates it. So, what told him that? It bothered me, because it seemed as if the writers either hadn't realized it was a problem, or couldn't come up with a solution so they ignored it.
    Well, the entries on the stone tablets contained dates. For all we know he could have dated his first entry.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
      The best episode of the season so far. More to come after the weekend.
      I totally agree. As I said in an other thread that probably none of you saw-

This episode felt so like the show I feel in love with. It was a Stargate episode to me.

Best episode of the season thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
        * The Jumper is a neat ship -- good way to toss some new toys at the team. I don't watch Stargate Atlantis, so this is the first time I'd see one. It could have great potential for the series. Plus when O'Neill blew up the mothership, it shows that big things can come in small packages ... yeah, cliche, sorry.
        Not sure whether to pity you or envy you.

Pity you because you've been missing out on an amazing first season of Stargate Atlantis.

Envy you because you still have the entire first season of Stargate Atlantis to experience.

To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

I thought this episode was excellent. Going off-world is one of the biggest reasons SG-1 is so great. Spaceships are cool, but the core of the show is the gate itself. If they don't use it then something seems not quite right (if you know what Im saying).

I didn't like Gemini, but the last 2 episodes have really started to get everything going in the right direction again. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelso
            Well, the entries on the stone tablets contained dates. For all we know he could have dated his first entry.

True, but this is a key point (even if not dwelled on) and we shouldn't have to guess at the answer or come up with a solution for a problem that the writers don't appear to have noticed existed, esp. not when all it would have taken was one sentence to clear it up. You know, Daniel saying: "There's a notation here as to the date it was written down, and it comes out to only 250 years ago."

It's not the audience's job to plug holes in the writing.

J.
            "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

^ Agreed... but I don't think it is a major enough plot point to dwell on, as it will not affect my enjoyment of the show.

Comment

I only have one question that I couldn't figure out here: Weren't the ruins a good long distance away from the city? I could have sworn that Maybourne made some comment about how far he had to walk to get there the first time....right? But then how did the Jaffa and the people in the city hear the earth weapons firing? The guns aren't that loud, are they? Or maybe it was just the sound echoing off some nearby cliffs? I don't know....
                There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Hey, anyone know where that Ancient was hiding? You figure, if he wrote the facts down on the tablet, he probably actually witnessed it. Possibly cloaked in the Puddle Jumper?
                  Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                    I only have one question that I couldn't figure out here: Weren't the ruins a good long distance away from the city? I could have sworn that Maybourne made some comment about how far he had to walk to get there the first time....right? But then how did the Jaffa and the people in the city hear the earth weapons firing? The guns aren't that loud, are they? Or maybe it was just the sound echoing off some nearby cliffs? I don't know....

umm, the same way Harry, who, when he left earth, thought/knew that daniel was dead, wasn't even surprised to see him alive and well and translating his little heart out

LOL

two words

Plot
                    Device
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                      Hey, anyone know where that Ancient was hiding? You figure, if he wrote the facts down on the tablet, he probably actually witnessed it. Possibly cloaked in the Puddle Jumper?
                      I was wondering about that too, maybe he disguised himself in with the villagers just like Daniel and Teal'c.

And what about the ship, are they just going to leave it there.
                      "Basically, what I'm saying is that I am colossally flawed, so if you don't like my opinions, exercise your freedoms and disagree. Or, quite frankly, don't read any further, as that is also your right." (Micheal Shanks' TV Guide Blog, May 17, 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by acdj31
                        I was wondering about that too, maybe he disguised himself in with the villagers just like Daniel and Teal'c.
                        my money's on Garan...the woman who backed harry

it's almost like she needed to keep him king...or of course there's also the idea that she has a crush on him

i doubt it. it's too valuable to leave lying around. betcha money jack flew it back to the sgc...although how it fit in the gateroom is anyone's guess
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                          Well, I don't know....but couldn't he have just walked through the Stargate/left the planet in another ship? Or maybe he just died/ascended somehow during the last stand against the Wraith at Atlantis? I don't know.... We'll probably just have to wait until we see Atlantis: Before I Sleep. (That episode is supposed to explain a lot to us about the Ancients, their war/last stand against the Wraith at Atlantis, who invented the time device, how the Puddle Jumper got to that planet, etc....)
                          I'll bet they probably took it back to Earth with them somehow. But we'll see....
                          There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            umm, the same way Harry, who, when he left earth, thought/knew that daniel was dead, wasn't even surprised to see him alive and well and translating his little heart out

LOL

two words

Plot
                            Device
                            I forgot that Daniel was all glowy the last time Maybourne knew anything about him so I didn’t pay attention to Harry’s non-reaction. Oh well, the writers never seemed too interested in addressing Daniel’s return and how he was affected by the experience except in one or two episodes. So, I too have practically forgotten that Daniel was “dead” for a season. And yes I know about "Threads", but S7 would have happily ended with Daniel's major, life-altering event ignored. Sorry. Just ignore that outburst.

The thing that bothered me the most was Maybourne being able to translate Ancient that well. It was a little too implausible for me. Yes, he did all that work with the NID and rouge NID, but I just don’t think he’d take the time to learn Ancient that fluently. Then again, I could be wrong, but I just found him being able to translate Ancient a little out of his realm of abilities. I could more readily believe that Daniel could look at a stone with engravings and determine a date when it was created. I’m guessing he’s going by the first entry on the pillar to get a rough estimate of when it was created.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

I enjoyed this episode ...if for no other reason then I just like the Mayboune character.

I have lowered my expectations overall for the second half of season 8 AND I am taking extra care NOT to be spoiled for any of the new episodes. I really believe that these two factors have really enhanced my viewing pleasure and I am just having a good time watching SG1 again.

Granted I am sure that this whole episode is a *set-up* for more down the road. As many have pointed out things here and there that really just don't add up BUT I have to say I just don't care I just took the entire episode at its merits and enjoyed seeing the whole team back together Off-World. Add to that the pomposity of Maybourne and knowing what a huge fan Wayne Brady is of the show...I just really enjoyed myself
                              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                my money's on Garan...the woman who backed harry
                                I got that sense too after watching this episode but a future SGA episode will somewhat deal with this Ancient.
                                I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Working...
                                X