No announcement yet.

Prometheus Unbound (812)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. I'd agree with the whole 'Daniel-trying-to-fight-fair' assumption... if it weren't for the fact that Vala was able to take out entire security teams *and* SG-3. I'm sure within that mix of military people there'd be quite a few who weren't at all worried about the 'rules' when it comes to fighting girls, or not killing her accidentally and were mostly concerned with fulfilling their mission. (ie, don't let the alien prisoner escape with a valuable alkesh!).

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
      Daniel got basic *weapons" training, like the P90, the handgun and the zat, not hand-to-hand combat, which would clearly be a waste of time.
      Clearly? I'd say that given the events of Prometheus Unbound (not to mention Prisoners, Homecoming, The First Ones and many more) it's very far from clear that Daniel learning how to fight would be a waste of time.

Madeleine

Comment

Nice episode.; I find it hard to beleive the crew of ship the size of the prometheus would fit on an Alkesh though.

Although I think all Star wars fans can be proud Han Solo Actually shot first this time

Daniel has been hanging around Jack WAY ytoo long
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

Oh my.

I thought this was possibly the biggest pile of .... well, not quite as bad as Brief Candle but up there.

I have read better fic by mad teenage Mary Sue writers. Honestly.

Hammond??? Hello, no no no no no. No. He does not talk like that, and I find it extremely hard to believe that he would act (or be allowed to act) like that.

Daniel - got to love him (especially tied to a chair )

And when did Chevron dude learn to fly a space ship? no no no no

As for the whole CPR thing.

Hiccough woman was too annoying.

Actually I could go on and on and on and on. I didn't actually mind the ep, and wouldn't switch it off if it accidentally turned up on my tv (not like Brief Candle) but I really can not imagine what the PTB thought they were doing with this one.

Deeply annoyed at having looked forward to my last ep for 2 weeks only to have this rehash of the fight scene from Blade Runner show up.
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
            The Asgard hyper drive is installed, but it seems too slow.
            When they get the distress call, Walter says the source of the signal is 50 lightyears off their designated route, and they can get there in 20 minutes. Considering that it's a distress call, they'd probably use their highest possible speed to get to the destination. Doing the math, that gives Prometheus a estimated top speed of ~150 lightyears an hour.

At that speed, it'd take them about 3 years to get to Pegasus.

Then again, traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, or so I've heard. It's possible that they're forced to travel at slower speeds within a galaxy due to all the stuff they could fly into. At this speed, it'd take them ~27 days to cross the galaxy, which is still pretty fast.
            Once they got to the edge of the galaxy, they could ramp up the speed to whatever their top intergalactic speed is.

You're making a questionable assumption. As you said, the distress call originated 50 lightyears off their designated route, NOT off their present position. Their designated route encompasses their entire path between where they started and where they were going to finish. What Walter was saying was that they did not have to deviate much from their planned flightpath, not that they were only 50 light years away from the source of the call.

Given the information that Walter provided, there is no way to extrapolate from that how fast the ship was capable of travelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
              Clearly? I'd say that given the events of Prometheus Unbound (not to mention Prisoners, Homecoming, The First Ones and many more) it's very far from clear that Daniel learning how to fight would be a waste of time.
              ... and when it comes to the matter of him not being caught on the Prometheus in the first place, it seems quite clear that Daniel has extremely refined 'ducking' skills - considerably better than those of the other three crewmembers who accompanied him into engineering. His reaction was way quicker than thiers - no doubt a result of all those years on a first line unit.

I think people get way hung up on this 'he's only a civilian so they didn't train him' thing. It would have been in the interests of the rest of his team to make sure he WAS trained as far as he was able, and he's got three experts in various disciplines to impart their wisdom to him, even if on an informal basis. If you consider the 'training' that Jac was giving to Jonas 'on the job' in the beginning of the 6th season - there was one scene where he was making him load and reload a weapon over and over again until he was completely fluent at it. I'm sure that he would have done similar for Daniel. And if Teal'c can teach a civilian, non-Stargate project female his Jaffa fighting techniques then he can sure as hell spend some time making sure his valued teammate has appropriate skills for the missions they go on.

Comment

Just watched PU last night and....

At least I think it was Stargate.... Or was if Starscape?

Whatever... it was great fun! It had everything.

A true romp.

A Jack and Daniel and Hammond moment.

"And I'm taking Walter." hee, hee!

The Prometheus!

Battle of the sexes... or make that... battle of two sexy people of different genders... Great chemistry between those two, but MS's acting did remind me of the very few (first three) eps of BB in Farscape.

Hans Olo!

Jaffa (okay, dead ones, but Jaffa nonetheless)! Wierd aliens!

Hammond on a mission on a mission!

Reynold's "Good job waking up, Sir!"

The Hiccup genius!

Mention of the Tok'Ra, and a plausible explanation for why Sam seems so much smarter than a genius human should be.

Sam and Teal'c kick butt!

Oh, no, wait; back up... no Sam and Teal'c. No problem; the ep rocked anyway.
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Oh the wierd aliens were so wierd!!! They were actually aliens although reminded me of JaJaBinks from Star Wars. I really want to know more, where did Vala actually come from really, Weapons grade Naquadah?????? Aliens with Naquada we've never seen before?

Effects in this ep were class though. The Gliders attacking the prometheus and the terrain around it was incredible realistic I couldn't believe my eyes. The attacking ships were good as well. The second half of the season is going to be so much better of the season, especially considering the eps I though would be dodgy have been really good.

Comment

We saw weapons-grade naquadah 4 years ago...

Comment

this forum begin to suck ...
                      first :
                      Board administrator don't let me start an another thread on an episode, they want me to put oin on a 10 pages topic that peoples won't even notice,
                      second:
                      people are saying "omg this can't happen on stargate" and debate things that WE DON'T CARE ABOUT ! a show has to change and like or not it will always be. you can't change the facts.
                      and after:
                      I was right, noone noticed my post that the board administrator moove here, I don't see the advantage of putting 1000 post in the same topic ... there should be little section for each episode, so that each question,comment about the episode could be find more more easily.

That was a great epuisode with too less story developpement, just top bad to have to wait an another half season to see her aigain ...
                      - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                      - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                      - The Nox

Comment

I wasn't expecting too much from this episode, but it turned out that I enjoyed it I really like the character of Vala, who I was having doubts about before the episode aired, but I thought she was very funny No Sam or Teal'c and very limited Jack is the downside, but I thought it was a nice Daniel centred episode. Anyways, good ep. Some funny moments in there

Comment

Originally posted by po134
                          WE DON'T CARE ABOUT !
                          Obviously, we do care, or we wouldn't be debating.

I managed to see the episode, and I enjoyed it. Not quite as good as Avatar, but pretty good. I'd rate it between Avatar and Icon (and, I did like Icon).

Loved the Jack/Daniel scene in the beginning. And, Hammond/Daniel interaction. Hammond in general (no pun intended) was great, too.

Daniel looked so pleased when he was first coming on the Prometheus. Poor thing, he was so sure he was finally going to Atlantis.

Vala was interesting. I thought there was some small hints of Aeryn, but Vala was really way more open and younger seeming than Aeryn. I didn't see any signs of UST between her and Daniel. She just seemed to be doing everything, including sexual comments and kisses to keep Daniel off guard, and did a pretty good job.

Loved Daniel's panic when he thought a Super Soldier was coming on to him.

Vala's manic grin when he let her out of the brig was fun, too.

What I didn't like:

The fight. It was too silly. Daniel flying over the console? It just looked like something out of a silent film -overexaggerated. Also, the headbutt thing just looked silly. But, luckily it didn't last too long.

Novak (not sure what her rank or title is). It was like there was a neon sign on her "COMIC RELIEF!" I did like her cursing at the briefing before drinking the water, because that seemed a real reaction not some forced humor. And, she did a good job once she was on the Alkesh.

Interestingly enough, even though I liked it, I didn't find it laugh out loud funny. Maybe the parts that they highlighted to tell everyone that this was a comedy episode (the fight, hiccupping Novak) just didn't seem all that funny.

... and when it comes to the matter of him not being caught on the Prometheus in the first place, it seems quite clear that Daniel has extremely refined 'ducking' skills - considerably better than those of the other three crewmembers who accompanied him into engineering. His reaction was way quicker than thiers - no doubt a result of all those years on a first line unit.
                          Oh, I forgot this! Daniel is very good at ducking
                          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar
                            the CPR with Hammond thing just made me cringe... It *was* funny, but I just found myself unable to suspend disbelief, watching an air force colonel struggle to bring his lips into contact with the lips of a supposedly dying man... I mean, his few seconds of panic could have cost Hammond his life... theoretically. I really didn't think there should have been any problem with him getting on with.
                            That's the only thing that annoyed me about this episode. Didn't need to be there, if he didn't wanna do it Novak should of, or anyone else. Then he should have got court martialled,

Comment

Watched the ep last night, and typed this up afterwards... So although I didn't post it until today, this is pretty much my immediate reaction upon seeing it. Haven't read anything else posted on the forum since the episode aired.

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
                              of 'Prometheus Unbound'

This episode started out very good. I really loved the teaser, with Jack and Daniel arguing (with a nice tie-in to last week's episode, as well as to Atlantis), the reveal of General Hammond in Jack's office, the exchange about the chair and the upcoming mission. I laughed out loud several times during those couple of minutes alone, and it got me pretty excited about the rest of the episode fairly fast.

And the rest of the episode did have many strong points. Hammond in action, cool space action, fun moments between Daniel and Vala (loved it when she's just kicked his ass and thinks he's out, sits down comfortably and gets zatted from off-camera Daniel), an overall feeling of weirdness (or is that just me?) not common in the Stargate universe and some aliens we haven't seen before.

An enjoyable hour of entertainment, to be sure. But at the end of it, I was left wondering; what was the point? Okay, so she obviously lied about the whole rescue-mission thing. Was she only after the Naquahdah? What about her ability to use Goa'uld technology? Was she telling the truth about having been a host previously? We never find out, as she escapes at the end, avoiding any questioning. What was this episode about? Was it intended to introduce the character in the hopes that we'll see her again? Or was it just about showing Daniel and Vala kicking the crap out of each other, plus some cool space action, with no real point to it? I'm not really complaining here, I'm just wondering if there is something I didn't get.

Random observations!
                              - The ring transporters transmit matter both ways simultaneously, unlike the stargates. While this was established way back in the original movie, it has not been shown in the series and I have heard people argue that it had been changed for SG-1. Obviously, it hasn't.
                              - Is Vala the first character on the show to actually utter the words "have sex" when coming on to someone? Seems like most people on Stargate just aren't straight-forward enough to use those actual words.
                              - Teal'c and Sam were no-where to be seen in this episode at all. It's official: No regular cast member have now appeared in every episode of the series, even if you count the flashbacks in the clip shows.
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig

An enjoyable hour of entertainment, to be sure. But at the end of it, I was left wondering; what was the point? Okay, so she obviously lied about the whole rescue-mission thing. Was she only after the Naquahdah? What about her ability to use Goa'uld technology? Was she telling the truth about having been a host previously? We never find out, as she escapes at the end, avoiding any questioning. What was this episode about? Was it intended to introduce the character in the hopes that we'll see her again? Or was it just about showing Daniel and Vala kicking the crap out of each other, plus some cool space action, with no real point to it? I'm not really complaining here, I'm just wondering if there is something I didn't get.

I'm wondering if they didn't always have some plan to revisit this story, even before they hired CB to do more episodes. Even just a mention of it to at least start to tie up loose ends.

ETA: I forgot to mention Daniel punching Vala in the face. Kind of mean, since it wasn't in the midst of the fight. I could see if he was defending himself, but it just seemed like, "Okay, that's it. I'm not taking this sh*t anymore."
                                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X