No announcement yet.

Affinity (807)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen two posts in this thread already that have gone way beyond the bounds of decency, IMHO, in regards to David DeLuise the actor.

Not liking Pete is one thing. Saying that Mr. DeLuise only has a job because his brother is a director (one among many, I might add) is something entirely different.
    ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
      I'm still kind of undecided about Jack's statement in the lab and what it was pertaining too. Initially I thought it was pertaining to Sam and Jack since the shippy music started on cue as soon as Sam asked him. And there was that little face she made like she shouldn't have asked. But the Charlie thing makes sense too. I guess it's just one of life's little mysteries.
      See... I actually really like this scene, and this is why.

This is, to me, "ship done right."

I walk away from that scene thinking someone gave the music guy a miscue on the shippy theme - because the only love I saw in Jack's eyes was for Sara.

Others are walking away from it thinking that it was all about Jack and Sam, and which one would leave the SGC if they got involved.

A little ambiguity goes a long way, I say. If I had one wish for the show, and the J/S ship, it would be only that TPTB had learned this little lesson a year ago. Had the scenes in The Lost City been this ambiguous, I would have liked that episode a whole lot more than I do.
      ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
        The conversation in the park kind of bugged me too but Brihana is right in that it's not the first time such a thing has happened. I think some creative license has to be taken for exposition. I think that having Pete propose in the park surrounded by children and families was purposeful and so they sort of disregarded the whole breach of security thing.
        It caught me a bit off guard too, especially following as it did her "You know I can't talk about work," line.

Pete only said one thing that I considered to be out of line in the scene, and that was the "You travel to other planets to battle aliens bent on galactic domination." line. Anyone listening - and who would be listening, when the nearest people old enough to actually understand him were paying attention to their children - would have either thought he was exaggerating or that he was talking about a movie or something.

The "How's the galaxy?" question... he could have been talking to an astronomer for all anyone would have known.

The conversation she had with Jack in Secrets was much more potentially damaging, because Sam actually mentioned the Stargate by name, and in response to Jack talking about navigating his way across the galaxy.
        ~bri~

Comment

Grab your torch and pitchforks! Here's

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
          of 'Affinity'

I'm not sure what to think of this episode. Most of it seemed like build-up, and then all of a sudden it's over, the problem is resolved. Heck, the problem - Teal'c becomes a murder suspect - didn't even appear until halfway through the episode.

Not that it wasn't enjoyable. Teal'c's "neighbourhood superhero" actions were good fun, as was his interaction with the people he encountered. It was a little dissappointing to see him leaving that setting again at the end, and I didn't quite understand why he had to do that. He got cleared of the murder suspicion, so what was the problem?

The Trust, when they finally showed up, were an interesting bunch. And obviously still a significant threat, even a year and a half after the Committee got busted. What are they up to? How can they be so powerful and so well-organized after the repeated setbacks? Who are they working for, and why? I'm really hoping that this time, this season we will finally get to see this storyline wrapped up in a neat little package.

And then there's Pete's appearance. I don't care what anyone says - if the Pete haters find anything to fault him for in this episode, I will know that they want to hate him. Because this time, he was a nice guy, through and through. No lying, no stalking, no "doormat". No way, no how. I'm sure those who want to are still going to hate him based on what they saw in 'Chimera' alone, but this time he was nothing short of a stand-up guy. Surprisingly, the "stalking" incident was even brought up through his dialogue with Sam (however briefly), which indicates that yes; she knows what he did, and they have obviously worked themselves through that issue and have put it behind them. If Sam has been able to let it go, so should her fans (although I'm sure some won't, just as I'm sure some will come up with more reasons to hate him based on some twisted interpretation of some random line or something in this episode, sooner or later).

Oh, and how did the Trust escape the building? The lighting and the faint sound effects seemed to indicate an off-camera "visual effect". Asgard beaming technology, anyone? To be contiuned...?
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Piggy, your useless opinion is always welcome. And to a certain extent I aggree with you. There are people--many who have posted in this thread--who do want to hate Pete. The storyarc has a bad taste in my mouth and it really (now) has very little to do with Pete.

It's the way they write Sam in response to Pete. It's not just the security issues (and yes, it was worse in Secrets, I don't like it in Secrets either), but it's also the ... general dumbing down of Carter to fit the storyline. I like to think of Sam as a very competent character who while brilliant and a national treasure, is first and foremost someone who takes her career seriously. She also seems quite needy to me. But than, I guess if all my boyfriends had died... and she does have a taste for men with odd behaviors that are kind of creepy.

Still. Makes me uncomfortable. And has absolutely nothing to do with Pete, or PDD.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthmember
              You can NEVER convince me that an astrophysicist would be happy with a cop -- no matter who he is. A general maybe, an ambassador maybe -- not a cop.

Er, why? Do cops give astrophysicists hives? Is there some chemical reaction that makes their breath bad only to astrophysicists? Do cops turn astrophysicists green and scaly? Is it some implication that a cop can't be as smart as an astrophysicist? Don't see why they can't be.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Good grief! This is just a television show.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                  Er, why? Do cops give astrophysicists hives? Is there some chemical reaction that makes their breath bad only to astrophysicists? Do cops turn astrophysicists green and scaly? Is it some implication that a cop can't be as smart as an astrophysicist? Don't see why they can't be.
                  I have to agree with this. One of my oldest friends is a cop who holds a doctoral degree in forensic science. He's smarter than most college professors I know. There's no reason the profession alone makes Pete somehow beneath Sam's notice. Cops might have once been strictly blue collar types, but modern police forces contain all kinds of experts in technical and scientific fields. As crimes have gotten technologically advanced, so has law enforcement.
                  *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                    Oh, and how did the Trust escape the building? The lighting and the faint sound effects seemed to indicate an off-camera "visual effect". Asgard beaming technology, anyone? To be contiuned...?
                    After going back and listening again, It definetly was the asgard transporter sound effect, though the light it threw off was a bit yellow.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pettygrew
                      Good grief! This is just a television show.
                      No!!! Really? Why, heaven's to Betsy, who'd a thunk?

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Blasphemy!
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh no, but whatever will we tell the children?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                            Oh no, but whatever will we tell the children?
                            Forget the children. What am I going to tell my pet symbiote?

Comment

Having now gone back and skimmed the thread, I must say that I am honestly surprised that anyone took offense at Pete's line about him having "stalked" Sam. I took that to mean that he'd told Sam what he'd done and they'd dealt with it. It never even occured to me that it was intended as a stab at the fans, shippers or otherwise.

Anyway... Is anyone else a little saddened that less than a day after the episode aired, the official thread for it is already almost the longest episode thread of the season (except for the season premiere)? I mean, for all the complaints that this episode was like "Melrose Place" or a soap opera, people sure like to discuss it more than what they presumably consider to be "true" SG-1 science-fiction...

(For the record, I personally don't agree. I think it's a great stretch to say that the show has become a soap opera, even if you only base that on this episode.)
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Forget the children. What am I going to tell my pet symbiote?
                                Skreach really loudly, and if his eyes are kind of reddish, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X