No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
    -Liked the Dr. He made his part memerable for me, especially with that *Pulp Fiction* moment. Jack "I don't want to see that again"
    When the Dr. jabbed the needle into Teal'c's chest and said something along the lines of, "I won't be able to do that again" and Jack replied, "I don't wanna see that again", I couldn't stop laughing cause I was thinking the same thing.

Originally posted by Anthro Girl View Post
    I loved the standoff within the team at the end. That's something we've never seen before and it was a great moment for the whole series. I was almost sure that O'Neill was the Goa'uld, but the truth was a great twist. Siler being a Goa'uld...that should happen more often.
    The 'mexican stand-off' was an awesome scene. I couldn't decide if it was O'Neill or Carter and it was quite the surprise when it really was Siler who turned out to be the goa'uld. Siler played his part well.

Originally posted by Anthro Girl View Post
    The Matrix line and the "It's what we do..." line. I know some people think the "what we do" line is hokey, but I love it. So there.
    Me too. Loved it in Wormhole X-Treme and I still find it amusing now.

This was a great team episode, despite it seemingly focused on Teal'c. The graphics for the game were really nice and I felt sorry for T when he stayed slumped against the wall . It's an ep I could definately watch again. Oh and Dr Lee plays off Sg-1 really well.
    "Don't dis MacGyver, or before you know it he'll be at your door with some tinfoil, a whistle and a bag of marbles...and you'll be sorry then..."
    S/J all the way!
    Big Honkin' Resolution!
    sigpic
    John/Teyla Shipper!
    SAVE STARGATE ATLANTIS!!!!

Comment

I loved this episode! It was a lot of fun, and quite interesting.

Seeing the virtual reality, simulation type thing really makes me wish the video game had gone ahead afterall. *Yearns to play a SG-1 video game*!
      "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello..."

Comment

Great ep, especially for the Teal'c/Daniel moment.
        sigpic
        Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

its one of my favorite eps in this season, love teal'c and later danis involvment in the game. just great.
          sigpic

Comment

SG1 - The Media Pundit: Commentary on Season 8's 'Avatar':

From The Media Pundit:

(Please follow the link for the complete article)

It's not possible

August 5, 2008 in Feature, Television

**snippage**

...It's easy to dismiss shows like SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis as sci-fi light, drama-light, comedy-light, or action-light as they tend to live somewhere in the middle. Most episodes feature a little bit of everything, hence the "-light" suffix where it's not meant as an insult, but a literal description of a light hearted show that generally doesn't take risks yet still manages to do a lot of good things...

Avatar came together for me a lot sooner than Changeling did. It was clear for the audience once it was said that the game wouldn't let Teal'c out because it knew him too well, it knew that deep down inside, he didn't think they could ever beat the Goa'uld, so it kept adapting the game giving him unwinnable scenarios until it began threatening his physical health.

I suppose that's as good of a setup as any if you don't really think about that really says. Dig a little deeper, as was clearly done here, and what you've got is the kind of depth you don't normally see on Stargate -- and that may very well be a debatable statement if anyone wishes to point out something I've missed -- but since the producers went down this road, I feel I've got to point out a few things here.

First being that they really got it in this episode. It threw into question a basic premise of the series as we knew it, that the steadfast warrior who never gives up may have believed he was fighting a losing battle all along, but he fought on anyway. That alone says enough that Avatar deserved an award for a single instance of outstanding drama, the kind they typically reserve for "real drama" shows as opposed to sci-fi. Well, I've got news, you give credit to the material where it is, and that was as good of an example of exploring a complex idea, almost a contradiction if you will, without getting choking on your own brilliance.

To hell with that, you don't get much deeper than this. It's been done before on series like The West Wing, and you've got to hand it to Aaron Sorkin for doing it damn near every single week, but most shows never know what it is to speak at that level to our humanity. I'm not sure Stargate really went there again, but for this episode they knocked it out of the park. The ending could have featured some sort of self-analyzing solution, a kind of "I can't fight my way out of this game, I have to think and understand my way out." That's perfectly acceptable and passable, but they didn't take the easy out which is certainly to their credit, which brings me to my second point.

What better way to build on what was written in Changeling than to not just show us a person who has the courage to fight to the end whilst believing the end is inevitable no matter what they do, than to reinforce what Teal'c had already learned before: alone we can be great people, but only together can we accomplish great things. By the time last minute or so rolled, I think the lesson was well learned not just by the characters, but by the audience as well. It's practically a cliche to say "together we fall", but it's a whole other thing to actually show it; to show the characters learning it for themselves.

**snippage**

Damn, I miss that show.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I thought this was the best Teal'c episode. I liked that he learned a lesson here about over confidence.

Comment

Recently Rewatched this. Liked it just as much as the first time. I loved the little looks by virtual Sam and Daniel in the medbay. I was also amused that Harriman's voice seems to do automated announcements like The Star Trek computer: Harriman was supposed to be dead in the simulation and yet his computerised voice was still making self destruct announcements.

The Teal'c collapsing didn't tug on my heartstrings as much this time through; but his conversation with Daniel did. "It's just not possible, Daniel Jackson!" Haven't we all felt like that about a video game at times? I know I have.
                sigpic
                Banner By JME2

Comment

Not bad at all

Wish they made a Stargate video game, would have been a great first person shooter game.

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking after re-watching this episode again just now, it's a shame the SG-1 game never actually appeared.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                      Not bad at all

Wish they made a Stargate video game, would have been a great first person shooter game.
                      Originally posted by vzzzzzbx View Post
                      Exactly what I was thinking after re-watching this episode again just now, it's a shame the SG-1 game never actually appeared.
                      Must... wield... P90!
                      sigpic
                      Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

When Tealc tried to escape using the elevator and then was back in the game=NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

That game should be called "Stargate:Impossible".
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I think this is one of the best Teal'c episodes.
                            sigpic

Comment

the situation seemed kind of contrived to me tbh. theyre stupid for not putting in any fail safes or emergency release things

the standoff scene near the end was good
                              Last edited by asdf1239; 11 April 2010, 02:55 AM.
                              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

the rainbow gun was awesome and its a profound shame that they never used it again in the show. i do not recall seeing any weapon as visually and audibly cool as the rainbow gun. the rainbow gun deserved many more uses outside of the simulation maybe not as an anti-kull device after that arc wrapped up but perhaps as some kind of anti-prior gun. or something. it was fantastic
                                R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Working...
                                X