• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My LiveJournal post
    No more Abydos..
    Still, I enjoy this episode.
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
    >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I am not going to call it the best episode of SG1 like a poster a few posts above did but it sure is a good episode. I find it has everything that made SG1 great. It has a good ancient mystery. The Eye of Ra being hidden like that was a pretty clever and interesting idea. It had a bunch humor in it from the rambling about Skaara being engaged to my favoriter sharing of jabs between Jack and Herreck. I crack up when Jack mention Herreck should mention to Anubis that "he screwed up again" and Jonas subsquent question of was it necessary to antagonize him. It does good with planet battles with early SG1. I noticed how good the Death gliders evaded the rocket launchers which was a subsquent contrast to the pilot. It also gives nice plot developments with the Lost City and I remember beind shocked that the Ascended people are Ancients. It was sad to see Abydos destroyed but think it was necessary to show Anubis' power and just how much greater threat he is now. Just to up the ante to the threat SG1 faces. I always love this episode because S7 and S8 bring a decline quality before rising in S9.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I find its a pity Herac died.. he was one of the better jaffa warriors we have faced... over the years.

Comment

Awesome ep. Easily in my top 10. Maybe even top 5.

Right from the start we have great humour with Jack about to get on the elevator. And the whole ep is filled with humour. The talks between Jack and Herac being the highlight.

Then there is the great action with Jack, Teal'c and the Abydonians fighting off the Jaffa. And the scenes between Daniel and Anubis. With Anubis revealing who he really is. Daniel so would have kicked his butt if he wasn't stopped. The system lords were no match for Anubis's ship that's for sure.

And lets not forget the first mention of the lost city. Can't wait for Atlantis.

Bye bye Abydos
          Last edited by Lieutenant Sparrow; 16 February 2012, 02:58 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

This episode always makes me realize how much facial expressions and body language is what makes this series so good. Just look at the elevator scene between O'Neill and Daniel...
            RIP Don S. Davis 1942-2008

Comment

i think i shed a tear when this episode aired for the first in 2003 when anubis destroyed abydos.

Comment

One wonders.. if Anubis had NOT been destroyed, but just delayed, and had kept the "eye of what ever it was" weapon, how effective that might have been against the Ori ships?

Comment

I doubt with would have put up much of a fight, because the Ori were using Ascended knowledge, I think it was also mentioned that anubis was only allowed to use the knowledge he learned from being ascended or something like that. And also the ori ships was made by the collective group of the Ori and anubis was on his own. Its hard to say to be honest but would be and interesting episode.

My question, does anyone know the music theme being played when Daniels talks to jack the second time and when he appears again and when they talk about the Anicents? Its the music with the choir. Here is a vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oTszK5qv64
                  I have looked everywhere on the net but can't find it.

Comment

IIRC it was said he could use only his ancient knowledge, if he could also have gained it as a Gou'ald.

Comment

Originally posted by Capricorn_One View Post
                      Does anyone know the music theme being played when Daniels talks to jack the second time and when he appears again and when they talk about the Anicents? Its the music with the choir. Here is a vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oTszK5qv64
                      I think it's original music produced for the episode.

Comment

Really average episode. No more Abydos?
                        Daniel made a mess out of things to come, didn't he?

Comment

Great episode. Numerous posts mentioned similarities to Star Wars but nobody mentioned the similarity between Anubis blowing up Abydos and the Deathstar destroying Leia's planet.

Don't know if anyone's an anime fan but Anubis concealing his appearance with a mask and cloak and returning from the dead also reminded me of Madara/Tobi from Naruto.
                          Originally posted by Descended
                          That blackhole was awfully weak, since the last blackhole they encountered practically stopped time in the SGC through a wormhole linked to a planet that was merely orbiting a blackhole, yet they flew almost into this one and all that happened was Teal'cs voice got a little deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Capricorn_One View Post
                            My question, does anyone know the music theme being played when Daniels talks to jack the second time and when he appears again and when they talk about the Anicents? Its the music with the choir. Here is a vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oTszK5qv64
                            Probably something by Joel Goldsmith, since he did most of the music for the series.

Comment

Liked the episode. It seems like if Daniel didn't give the eye to Anubis the system lords would have destroyed his ship and possibly him along with it or at least damaged the mask that holds him together.

I'm not sure if Anubis is ever explained but I think he is only partially ascended because when he was casted out only the snake part of him was sent to our plane. The host part stayed in the ascended plane doing good stuff. I'm thinking the two couldn't be completely separated because they ascended as one being instead of two.

Comment

I thought this ep was sad with Abydos being destroyed
                                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                                Sig by The Carpenter
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X