Disclosure (617)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
    I'm not just talking about Stargate here, but clip shows in general.

As I said, SG-1 is rather unique in that they not only have story in these kinds of episodes, but a damn good story so unlike clip shows in other TV series these episodes aren't just fillers.

However, the SG-1 episodes in question are let by the addition of flashbacks. More O'Neill/Hammond vs Kinsey dialogue bests clips any day

SG-1 audiences get plenty of action. One episode out of 22 that lets an actor like Davies take centre stage and flex his talent a bit more is not a bad thing.

And you misunderstand what I mean by Davies and the rest describing the action with dialogue - I meant for Hammond and Kinsey to battle it out and tell the Stargate story with dialogue not to describe the various action clips in words.
    I think Kinsey would have run out of arguments very fast!!!
    Last edited by Anja; 25 September 2015, 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Comment

I think you underestimate Kinsey.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Nope, none of the episodes with him shows that he can argument well or that he has got things at hand to gain advantage and therefore the power he is thriving for.
        But again, it's TV and so - to each his/her own!!!
        CARPE DIEM
        ANJA

Comment

I would disagree. Especially Politics.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            You would basically be watching a bunch of men in a room, talking... It's like watching parliament in session and it gets boring really fast. If you have nothing else for 42 minutes, there's no way the attention of the viewer's going to stick.
            Then you underestimate the intelligence and ability of your fellow fans.

People are not thick and don't need to thrown "shiny trinkets" in order to keep their attention. Writers need to use their imagination and put a bit more effort in rather then taking the easy way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
              I think you underestimate Kinsey.

Seaboe

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
                Nope, none of the episodes with him shows that he can argument well or that he has got things at hand to gain advantage and therefore the power he is thriving for.
                But again, it's TV and so - to each his/her own!!!
                He was doing just fine in this episode. A few more minutes wasn't going to kill the writers.

At the very they could have had a sub plot of events back at the SGC - perhaps a funny store of O'Neill standing in for Hammond dealing with all the everyday events of a base commander.

Comment

Think you're underestimating how much of the 43 minutes is used from the clips. As for a side story, besides being pointless adding in RDA would only add more money not save it like clip shows are designed for
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

At the very they could have had a sub plot of events back at the SGC - perhaps a funny store of O'Neill standing in for Hammond dealing with all the everyday events of a base commander.
                    Which was what was done in Season 8 when Jack WAS the base commander ("Zero Hour").

Comment

Then you underestimate the intelligence and ability of your fellow fans.
                      It's not the fans you should think of - they'll watch no matter what. It's the casual viewers that will go away and never come back.

TV-shows aren't just made for the fans who come back every week to watch it, and put everything else on hold. Otherwise Firefly would still be on the air. Casual viewers make up a whole bigger group and it's their attention you need to be able to keep.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Casual viewers of a serial like Stargate do have difficulties in understanding what's really going on - I know.
                        When I watched one ep now one ep then I - and I don't think I'm dumb - did not get who they were and what it was all about.
                        Therefore I'm sure a serial show is written mainly for fans who watch regularly.
                        CARPE DIEM
                        ANJA

Comment

I wouldn't call Stargate a serial. With the exception of SGU its not hard to watch an episode at random. I know that how I started watching the show.

Shows are never for just fans. Their is a difference between fans and people who watch a show almost every week.
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I wouldn't call Stargate a serial. With the exception of SGU its not hard to watch an episode at random. I know that how I started watching the show.
                            Same here.

No clue what was going on but watched all the same cause it was a thrilling adventure.

Shows are never for just fans. There is a difference between fans and people who watch a show almost every week.
                            Indeed.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Think you're underestimating how much of the 43 minutes is used from the clips. As for a side story, besides being pointless adding in RDA would only add more money not save it like clip shows are designed for
                              True, there isn't enough time in the areas taken up by clips to get in a secondary plot.

However, since there isn't that much time taken by the clips then it shouldn't be that much effort to add dialogue instead.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              Which was what was done in Season 8 when Jack WAS the base commander ("Zero Hour").
                              That was the future though - I'm talking about the writers at the time of development.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              It's not the fans you should think of - they'll watch no matter what. It's the casual viewers that will go away and never come back.

TV-shows aren't just made for the fans who come back every week to watch it, and put everything else on hold. Otherwise Firefly would still be on the air. Casual viewers make up a whole bigger group and it's their attention you need to be able to keep.
                              In that case you are insulting everyone - the writers, the actors and everyone watching.

People are not stupid and are quite capable of following a story without having their hands held.

And yes, TV shows aren't just for the fan base, but the fan base is a part of the audience. One "dialogue heavy" episode out of all the action heavy episodes of the previous five years that is aimed more towards the fans is not going to kill the ratings. And any casual viewer unable or uninterested in such an episode probably can't follow anything else in the show either. Any viewer who "wouldn't come back" was going to leave eventually.

Comment

Shows are never for just fans. Their is a difference between fans and people who watch a show almost every week.

And then there is the "casuals".
                                Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 01 October 2015, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X