No announcement yet.

Descent (603)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Descent is a good episode. There is a good mix of action and drama and it is an episode that would actually leave you wondering what Daniel would have actually been able to do in this situation (my money would have been on their being no need for Major Davis). It was an episode that showed Jonas trying to prove himself and earn his place on SG-1, as he obviously knew how he really was chosen. The only niggle I had with this episode was that Jack knew that he was still on the ship and had helped them get into the glider bay and yet he seemed willing to leave him behind. Jonas was running behind them all "Wait for me!". He'd read all of the mission reports and he probably knew Jack and the SGC's philosophy on 'We don't leave our people behind' yet its obvious at this point that he doesnt consider Jonas one of his people, yet it only takes his presence in the glider a couple of minutes later for him to be all "All of SG1 present and accounted for." I don't understand what made him chnge his mind so quick. He knew what Jonas had done, and yet not even Sam or Teal'c looked ready to wait for him. They knew he had no other way off the ship at this point. Ooh rant over. Still liked the episode though!

Comment

ok, i've been forced back into the descent thread since i got kicked out of the worst episode ever thread for dragging it into a discussion on how great descent is

i realized i posted here (wAAAAAAAAAY back when i was a wee prim'tah ) but i never read it

i didn't realize so many other people loved this episode, or loved having major davis in this episode, as much as i did

and since it IS on topic in this thread, i'm just gonna ask again, does anyone else think major davis has a crush on / thing for carter after watching this episode (come on, don't tell me you didn't see those *looks* in her direction comin from our favorite pentagon stargate geek )

Comment

and since it IS on topic in this thread, i'm just gonna ask again, does anyone else think major davis has a crush on / thing for carter after watching this episode (come on, don't tell me you didn't see those *looks* in her direction comin from our favorite pentagon stargate geek )
        From Colin Cunningham's diary of filming the episode (you'll find the link to it earlier in this thread):

My lines have been cut back considerably on this episode (not complaining) and so I'm wondering what kind of spin I can put on the whole thing, since I've only the occasional, "Colonel, look!" kind of dialogue. And so, I'm thinking... What if I play these scenes like I've got a big crush on Major Carter? Just the odd look from time to time. Though I think Peter [DeLuise] would probably laugh me off the stage. I'm still not sure if I should tell him, or just do it. We shall see. I gotta get some sleep. This is ridiculous.
        I thought it was cute. Heck, I just think Davis is cute, period. Yowsa.

Course, later in the diary he claims he 'nixed the idea'.

Albion
        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

yeah.... *claims* maybe he just didn't want peter deluise to know

maybe i'll ask him at gatecon... i'm sure he gets it a lot... so he should have a nice answer for us

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
            I am wondering how long Jonas had to hold his breath underwater to get the force fields to the glider bay online. It had to be quite a few minutes, especially when he had to swim to the rings.
            On the commentary they say that Corin Nemec really can hold his breath that long; they were surprised. Apparently, they'd been expecting to have to pass it off as alien abilities, but if a normal human can do it (albeit one with an extraordinarily good ability to hold his breath) then there's no need to play the "alien" card. Unless Corin Nemec is an alien? !
            My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
            -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
            -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
            -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Aha! One of the great mysteries of the universe solved! This is kind of off topic, but it comes from CC's set diary of "Descent" so I'll post it here anyway.

Y'know on "Behind the Stargate: Secrets Revealed" how one of the internet questions was "Is Christopher Judge really white?" That bothered me, because where in the world would that come from? Now I know!

10:29 am

Arrive at the studio. Grabbed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich since 'breakfast' ended a long time ago. Went through Hair and the brown mousse scalp treatment once again. I look like Engleburt Humperdink. After the 'doo' was finished, I sat down in the make up chair. Make Up is an amazing department. You come in looking like ****, and you walk out looking like Fabio. A bit of paint, touch of powder, and voila! Super hunk. But they truly can do some amazing things. You'd never know it, but Christopher Judge is actually 90 pounds and white.
              My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
              -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
              -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
              -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

lol... yeah, i noticed that too... i wonder if he knows to get colin backfor that one

and another side note after reading that diary: CC is hilarious!! and totally random!! kinda reminds me of the kind of stuff I would write down (of course about 100 times funnier!) and that disturbs me somehow

and i agree: corin nemec is an alien hell, his name even SOUNDS more alien than jonas'
                i do remember hearing that on the commentary and going "noway!! he's actually holding his breath that long!!!! freaky cool "

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                  On the commentary they say that Corin Nemec really can hold his breath that long; they were surprised. Apparently, they'd been expecting to have to pass it off as alien abilities, but if a normal human can do it (albeit one with an extraordinarily good ability to hold his breath) then there's no need to play the "alien" card. Unless Corin Nemec is an alien? !
                  I had heard somewhere on this forum or another other that Corin had been a lifeguard at one time. It that is so, he probably did his own swimming and stuff. I think TPTB wanted the fans to believe that he could hold his breath that long because he was not from earth.

Comment

yeah but it ceratinly lands it even more crediibility knowing CN did it himself

Comment

WOW, No way could I hold my breath that long! This episode is one of my favorites. I LOVE the scene between Teal'c and Jonas with the banana.

The Brane: Bringing the evil, freaking people out, taking their sanity since 2005

Comment

lol...

i can't help myself... this just SCREAMS post a picture!!

Comment

For a while it seem Jonas and McKay had something in common.
                          FOOD!

Comment

LOL! You forgot the look Teal'c gave him.

The Brane: Bringing the evil, freaking people out, taking their sanity since 2005

Comment

sorry.... didn't have that one uploaded....

i was workin on the fly

wait... upon further inspection it appears i never saved it...

there's my problem!!

Comment

LOL, I'll post it then.

Comment

Working...
                                X