No announcement yet.

Fail Safe (517)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO the storyline was so-so, OK by Stargate standard, but the dialogue were very funny, Jack was at his best there (Carter! I can see my house! ) and all the yellow cables was really a jab at every bomb-difuse scenes in any series where the hero can always difuse the bomb by cutting the different colored wires, well NOT SO IN SG-1 !
    And Daniel not necessarily have to be there, but he's there anyway to deliver his lines and handing over screwdiver to Sam
    I can say I like this episode, would watch it again should I catch it on TV (watch it 4 times already).
    sigpic
    sig.by : lilferret

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
      I also quite like this episode. as people have said it seems like it's never on and from memory i think iv only seen it 3 times, once being last night. but it was a pretty good ep apart from the cliched sci-fi plot. and another thing, how many times did things go wrong for those people??? asteroid, fixing wrecked ship (just), going in too fast, meteor showers, hull breach, bomb not working, all yellow wires and the asteroid made of naquahdah. it's ridiculous!!! it's like the worst day in history multiplied to the nth term!!! yet still they made it out alive. what a team...
      I think this is the most stressful Stargate episode for me. You are right, its one thing after another, but the dialog and especially the looks exchanged between the characters are priceless. The look on Hammond's face before the camera pulls up and back to reveal a completely deserted SGC. Harriman's sad and dutiful, "yes, sir". Major Davis' and Hammond's silent handshake.

And Jack: "I'd like to take this moment to say that this is a very poorly designed bomb and we should say something when we get back!"

Yes, you know how its going to end, but still its a fun ep. I needed Botox AND a valium after watching this one!
      If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
      proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
      Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

We all know that a lot of SG-1 plot lines are rips of movies and other scifi shows. Heck they make fun of themselves all the time...from PDL's "paying homage" comments to the dialogue "Yeah...I've seen this movie. It hits Paris."

BUT...this where Stargate can really shine as a series, IMHO, because it takes a cliched plotline and add it's own twists. I saw the movie too, and at NO time did the asteroid enter hyperspace and travel just on the flip side of the planet. I'm also fairly certain that no one sent the asteroid to crash into earth in the movie as Anubis did here, nor do I recall the asteroid being generated...but rather a phenomenon of space.

Plus, as has been mentioned numerous times before, there are several lines of dialogue that make this episode truly a delight to watch. Too many Jackisms to count off the top of my head...but I love the banter between the team..."I am confident"..."Me too"..."As am I"...and of course there's Jack's irkedness at the scientists for not finding the recall device originally from Tangent...nice throwback to that episode.

All in all, it's one I make a point of watching whenever it's on because I enjoyed the team interaction and just because it's thoroughly entertaining.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

We all know that a lot of SG-1 plot lines are rips of movies and other scifi shows. Heck they make fun of themselves all the time...from PDL's "paying homage" comments to the dialogue "Yeah...I've seen this movie. It hits Paris." as witnessed by my latest sig!
          All in all, it's one I make a point of watching whenever it's on because I enjoyed the team interaction and just because it's thoroughly entertaining.

Comment

It was nice to see the team all by themselves and the usual banter that goes on between them. They were all funny and had some great lines.
            The asteroid storyline was good, as everything they did seemed to backfire or not work and they did their 'last minute save' bit with seconds to spare . Strange how they save the earth about once every four episodes, but I never get bored of it!

Comment

I suppose this ep was done to show just how evil anubis is and just how cool warp drives are.
              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

An alright episode but i always love seeing the team in space outfits!

Comment

I hate this episode. Before this one I had never seen a weak/bad SG-1 episode, but Fail Safe... ugh! This is my least favorite episode. It had some good moments like them SG-1 realizing the bomb thing. But anyways, this was the worst possible "asteroid episode" that could have been done. I love disaster movies and especially "asteroid films" like Deep Impact and Armageddon (even though the acting and story isn't anything special in those films). So I had high expectations but everything that happened in Fail Safe was too lame. Our heroes' reactions to the situation and "no one on earth knowing about the asteroid"... dayamn! Lame.

Comment

The wors episode of the series. Predictable, badly acted, not so good special effects, and with a plot twist that was fairly obvious. Show me an episode that is worse then this one.

timdalton007

Comment

I didn't hate the episode, but it does have one enormous plot hole. Usually, SG-1 has been pretty good about physics, at least in areas where the rules are known. Granted, there is obviously quite a bit of speculation with the alien tech and all. However, the way the asteroid was depicted was extremely unrealistic. At the distance the asteroid was to Earth when they engaged the hyperdrive, and with the mass the asteroid was supposed to be, the resulting tidal wave would've destroyed every coastal city on the planet an d probably also caused massive earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. The planet would've been wiped out, regardless of what SG-1 did. They should've at least covered it up by coming up with some way to use alien tech or inertial dampeners or something to prevent that from happening. In most episodes they are pretty good about physics that way, trying to be realistic and explaining away unrealistic things with alien tech. That was a rather large oversight. The movie "Armageddon" was the same way. The asteroid couldn't have been split by what they did, but even if somehow it was and the pieces missed by the amount stated in the movie, they still would've caused massive earthquakes and tidal surges that would've wiped out most of the planet.

Comment

Remember the episode were sg1 goes to a planet and screws up the sun i believe it was called "Red Sky". Well at the end they say I dont think we were the ones that fixed the problem. Meaning that it was the asgard who fixed it. They couldnt fix the problem in the first place because of the protected planets treaty. This was also the case when the asteroid was heading to earth the asgard could not interfear. Unless they did it but covered it up so the gou'ld could not call there bluff. What I am trying to say is the asgard could have caused the asteroid to go right through the planet with out causing any damage.
                        sigpic

Comment

I LOVE this episode! I have no idea why...just overall it's so good! It also made me think that SG-1 gets along really well. I mean they were on that little cargo ship for about 10 days and they hadn't killed each other yet. Lucky Sam...all that time with those guys....

Comment

It was a good ep. I love the line:

I'm confinded

Me too

As I am.

Classic

Comment

Just watched again. I too am wondering if there's any possibility that the asteroid could mined in the near future. For the moment any Earth ships have other priorities [Yet to see season 9 but I've got a rough idea ].
                              Maybe the odd teltec could be used for people to scrape away a few kilos for reactors and munitions-enhancement.
                              Hey, if you'd been listening, you'd know that Nintendo's pass through everything.

Comment

I bet they would have to get a drilling team on there to get it out of the core. Which would be more work then the worth.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X