Proving Ground (513)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
    This episode doesn't really make sense to me. Why would the Airforce want crappy straight out of the Academy 2Lts. rather than battle tested veterans of AFSOC Special Tactics like O'Neill?
    That's true certainly, but you might as well also ask why the Air Force was willing to let a 4 person standard team be the flagships of off world missions or let archaeologists who can count on one hand the number of times they fired a gun, go off world in the early days as opposed to being part of the background support teams of scientists.

On screen, because it was better looking in terms of story for Jack and SG1 to be drilling babies rather than experienced airmen not much older than them or even older. In universe, maybe because the SGC likes to pick its new personnel young and train them up to think of everything associated as standard, rather than insane. It is likely that they did also pick a lot of team leaders etc from special ops and other veterans like Jack but complimented them with others like Sam and even Ford, who were young but enthusiastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Octrackiepacsg1 View Post
      I really loved this episode. At first I believed it was a drill, then i thought, no maybe its not a drill, then i thought maybe it is and so on. I kept on thinking it was over and that girl from prodigy wasn't in on it. I loved how passionate the newbies were. and I loved that girl that saved Daniel even though she didnt need to.
      Definitely a different take on the SGC teams by seeing it from the subordinates' POV. Even though Elliot bites the bullet in Summit/Last Stand, I would have liked to have seen TPTB do a little more follow-up with Grogan as he was the trainee of the group I liked the best. We see Grogan again in the Sentinel but nothing beyond that. I thought it would have been great to see a rookie like Grogan develop into a seasoned veteran and becoming a valuable asset to the SGC but that just wasn't in the cards. They tried to do that with Jonas but Daniel came back of course.
      sigpic

Comment

Did anyone find it odd that they just left Teal'c and the SFs right near the "C4" if that was real that would have been seriously injured. And that stupid ***** only went and protected Daniel who was mostly behind the wall anyway.
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 17 December 2011, 12:41 AM. Reason: The profanity net is there for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by tNsRAoL View Post
          Did anyone find it odd that they just left Teal'c and the SFs right near the "C4" if that was real that would have been seriously injured. And that stupid ***** only went and protected Daniel who was mostly behind the wall anyway.
          Or that in real life that much C4 would have leveled that entire floor of the base.
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 17 December 2011, 12:41 AM. Reason: amended requote.
          sigpic
          In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
          "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

I always liked this episode because it was a very neat idea. Although it would of been much more fun if it wasn't a test and an actual foothold situation. Daniel Jackson as the leader=awesome. It is cool to see Grace Park before her rise to BSG. Glad to see Lieutenant Hailey again. Teal'c was pretty much wallpaper in this episode. Enjoyed Daniel and the Goa'uld voice in the beginning. Not my favorite episode, but a memorable one.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
              I always liked this episode because it was a very neat idea. Although it would of been much more fun if it wasn't a test and an actual foothold situation. Daniel Jackson as the leader=awesome. It is cool to see Grace Park before her rise to BSG. Glad to see Lieutenant Hailey again. Teal'c was pretty much wallpaper in this episode. Enjoyed Daniel and the Goa'uld voice in the beginning. Not my favorite episode, but a memorable one.
              The recent re-airing of this episode gave me a nice chance to enjoy this episode again.

Daniel in the Goa'uld voice was a very nice touch, especially when he shot all 4 of the youngsters.

It's not the greatest episode but it's one of my personal favorites because it's just fun to watch the youngsters have at it and see their various levels of success. Though I like Grogan, I have to admit that seeing him get shot twice was a source of more than a few laughs.

I do wish that Teal'c had something a little more substantial to do in this episode but with the focus on the young-uns, I'm not surprised that he was shuffled into the background.
              sigpic

Comment

This is one of those episodes I liked a lot when watching the first time, but without a need to revisit the episode many times again.

Comment

I liked this episode. Something a little diffferent, a nice break from the usual.
                  sigpic

Comment

When I first watched the episode, it fooled me like "Tin Man". I wasn't fooled by "Double Jeopardy" because I already had read it on Stargate Wiki. Still, one of my most favourite episodes is this! I totally love the "Foothold in SGC" and "the Invasion of SG-Cadet" and "General Daniel Jackson". I wasn't fooled by the last scenario. I also liked the original 2 trainings, but the first didn't fooled me either. They would have got NID or something if it were real.
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I don't get the part that SG-Cadet was somehow led by Elliot? They're all the same rank. Did O'Neill put him in charge or something.
                      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Yeah, some superior officer, probably O'Neill did put Elliot in charge. No doubt based on some preliminary testing of leadership potential.

Loved this ep, seemed the testing never ended.

It was lovely to see Grace Park again, I've only seen her on BSG.
                        Last edited by maneth; 30 September 2010, 10:37 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

t's on eof my fav eps and to qualify why Elliot was senior is easy to explain. He was most likely the most senior graduate of his class and in that case he would be theoretcially ranked above his peers for the purpose of the exercise.

Now I have a dilemna. I'm learning to use Photoshop and I've set myself a project to make some new Stargate Forum avatars especially for a lot of those actors that currently don't have a avatar available. My first choice was Elisabeth Rosen, but do you think I can find a decent picture of her as Hailley? If anyone can help out please PM me I'd be really grateful.

here is a sample and don't laugh it was only a test

Spoiler:

Comment

This was great fun, if a little over-the-top. It's clear from the start that the whole foothold situation is a setup, so I'm glad that the episode doesn't try to string it out for too long. The final twist with Haley in the gate room doesn't work quite as well, they try to milk it a bit too much. Daniel looks like he's having fun.

Massive "woah!" reaction from me upon seeing a young Grace Park. Clearly, I haven't watched this episode in at least 6 or 7 years.

RATING: 8.5 out of 10
                            Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Possibly the first Rwatcher to get to this one unless LHG got this far ahead of schedule.

1. Set up to this one was interesting, slightly surprised to see Hailey back.

2. Liked the initial scenario.

3. Was slightly wierd first seeing Grace in BSG after this.

4. Initially took the Foothold situation seriously but every time I watch this ep I wonder why I didn't catch it earlier first time around.

5. Was the implication that Hailey had already been through a training routine...therefore weas already at the SGC?

Decent enough ep.
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

This was a fun peek into the life of youngsters being trained for SG teams. Liked how this ended up being a bit like a Russian doll, a test within a test, within a test!

The twist at the end with Haley trapped in the gateroom and radiation exposure was a good one and I still enjoy watching how the trainees are led along to that moment.

Poor Grogan, looks like he was qualifying to be a 'red shirt'!

Comment

Working...
                                X