Red Sky (505)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
    That one scene where Jack got pissed off made me think I was watching an episode of SGU.
    It was a great scene, my favourite Jack moment of the season. Only the head butt of doom was missing! There was a short piece of music during the scene before the opening credits that reminded me of SGU. Coupled with the lighting this episode could have been a subliminal bit of inspiration for SGU's style, it seemed very different from any other SG-1 episodes in feel and execution.

The church isn't in Vancouver itself, it's in Cloverdale, not far from where I work. Guess the commentary wouldn't say more, as who would know, and would it matter unless you know Vancouver and it's outlying regions LOL! Check out the photo and other Stargate locations on the great list with map references compiled on.... http://rdanderson.com/ Go to SG-1 section and click on 'Shooting Locations'.

Comment

Another Homer Simpson quote from Jack: "ECHO...echo...echo..."

My LiveJournal post
      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I don't much care for this episode, because I don't much care for fanatics. On the other hand, I think both RDA and Shanks give a tremendous performance. I think when Jack is so angry, what makes him listen to Daniel and Carter is this is exchange:

Jack: They killed two of my men!
        Daniel: Yes, they did....

Daniel acknowledged what had made Jack so angry and, in doing so, he validated Jack's anger.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I don't really like this ep either. Not much about the ep interests me.

Only parts I liked were Jack getting angry and Jacks meeting with the Asgard high council.
          sigpic

Comment

So, when Sam thought her plan hadn't worked she said they "must have missed", which I took to mean that she shut off the wormhole too soon or too late and the Maclarium just materialized in space somewhere along the path. I thought the Asgard helped by finding the Maclarium and sending it into the sun (like, they beamed it in or something). But now I think it's more interesting to just call it "ambiguous".

Or maybe Sam managed to get the Maclarium to materialize so close to its target that it was pulled in by the sun's gravity and ended up in there anyways. That one isn't supported by anything anybody said in the episode, but... you know... just theorizin'

The alternate scenario, in which the problem didn't get solved, makes me think of some of the stuff on SGA. Maybe if this had been an Atlantis episode they would have gone with the darker ending.

By the way... didn't the Freyr recording say the exact same message both times? Hopefully it's only because they'd asked the same question twice, and there are actually lots of different recordings. Otherwise the K'Tau might wonder why Freyr only ever said that one thing...

Comment

I have always liked this one because it shows the limits of what the Asgard can do. We always have them as these powerful people who seem able to accomplish the unthinkable. The episode really enlightens more on the Protected Planet Treaty. Season 5 and this episode particular aim to show the flaws in our dialing computer versus a DHD. I like the story because it shows something else the Stargate can do and presents a strange problem that we have never heard of before. I have trouble swallowing the US would given up a rocket but that is a small consquence. To top it all off the questionable morals of Jack almost killing Malcolm is priceless. It just speaks to the differerent dynamics of the team and thier comprehension of right and wrong. On the other hand I roll my eyes when Jack tells the K'Taul about who the Asgard are. Its cinging.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Not a favourite episode of mine, there may have been a few funny lines from the cast, but the episode just didn't do it for me. I don't understand why the contiuned to help try and help when the inhabitants of the planet didn't want the too. They tried to fix their mistake, it was sabotaged, they should have let it go - learned from their mistakes that when a stargate address doesn't lock it's for good reasons.

I think I would have enjoyed the episode if SG1 had lost, wish TPTB went with that instead.
                Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

First I thought Daniel was wrong about Freyr. But it was me. I thought of his sister Freyja, goddess of love or something.

This was a good ep. Jack was really angry when the mission got sabotaged.

The Asgard are always interesting to know more about. We didn't get to see "their little grey butts" though

Comment

"Go confuse Hammond."

When Jack's right about matter through the wormhole, he's grinning ear to ear... just hilarious.

Pre-industrial societies are so mentally challenged when it comes to things they don't quite grasp, especially when their faith gets in the way (although even in modern times this can be an issue)...

Jack's really pissed after that sabotage... and for good reason too I reckon.

So, did the Asgard sneak in a little help, or not... they probably did get up from their grey butts and saved our collective asses. But we'll never know.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Liked the episode but would have liked it more if they let the planet die. I kind of get jaded after awhile with the good guys always saving the day. Sure we don't know if the good guys saved the day or if it was something else, but the day was still saved. I want some game of thrones consequences. You make a mistake you lose your head, the nation falls into chaos, or some other horrible thing happens. I guess the nature of campy shows like SG1 don't allow this. Destiny was much better in this regard.

Comment

What would have been served though had they NOT managed to save the day? Could all of the SGC personnel have made it home?

Comment

Why not? The gate would still worked. Life on the planet would just eventually die
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

The one question I had after rewatching this episode was about how fast Freyr was able to show up after SG1 shut off the hologram. Do the Asgard have some sort of realtime connection to these things that sound an alarm when someone plays with them? Do they always make time to to check up? Seems like they're doing more monitoring of those sites than I thought....
                            Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are Crunchy and good with Ketchup.

Comment

I think Carter was deliberately sending a signal. She just shut down the hologram because it was pointless/a distraction.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Ahhhh, OK. Wasn't sure. I might not have caught the signal thing. I just remember her shutting off the hologram and then Freyr appearing quickly.
                                Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are Crunchy and good with Ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                X