Threshold (502)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
    3. If I remember correctly, Teal'c was meant to be 40 in that first scene.
    4. The wierd stuff happens when you get to that scene with Teal'c and DRey'auc when he's talking about Velur. That bump was Ry'ac. And he's not even First Prime yet? Yeah right!
    I agree, they smushed the timeline faaaarrr too much, but I guess it gets everything across
    Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

I don't recall a mention of Teal'c's age in the episode? Also, do we any idea how long a Jaffa woman is pregnant? Or if Jaffa children age the same way humans do?
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by zainea13 View Post
        I agree, they smushed the timeline faaaarrr too much, but I guess it gets everything across
        'Unless' Teal'c and Drey'auc had an earlier pregnancy which neither of them have seen fit to talk about on screen(possibly miscarriage)
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

It's sad watching Teal'c being so terrible towards the team. CJ sure showed us his acting skills here.

Loved the flashback scenes. Really interesting to watch and learn more about T's past. He was very arrogant and cocky when he was younger.

Did he just call me a woman?
          sigpic

Comment

The best Teal'c episode for me. It was great to see some of the events from Teal'c's past that shaped the man of the present.

The scenes with Bra'tac and Teal'c in the snow were wonderfully done.

Comment

Teal'c is neglected sometimes compared to the other characters and that is why I love this episode so much. Its the Holy Grail of Teal'c episodes as it explains his doubt of the Goa'uld and the path that leads him to Sg1. I don't care a whole lot about the present. Normally I'm the first to call up medical ethics but Frasier's compliants about Teal'c just annoyed me. Like I said the far more interesting part was watching Teal'c's past and the horror he has had to go through and do in the name of Apophis and his doubt in the Goa'uld as gods. Its fascinating stuff to see Teal'c past and his interaction with Bra'tac that I just love it. Thier is a small scene where Hammond said he would not let Teal'c be sent to a small base and rather have him die then put through that torture. For some reason that scene speaks to me.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I didn't like Part 1, Part 2 or Part 3 so basically just bad episodes.

Comment

In the middle of an epic re'watch Just got to SG-1 [5x02] Threshold = Epic Episode! Had tears in my eyes !!
                  Signature removed by popular demand...

Comment

Threshold was the worst episode so far. It went wrong from 501 with Tealc's role as a traitor, I did not buy it at all.
                    And - I did the most unholy thing, I fast forwarded most of this. Sorry.
                    Looking forward to the rest of season 5 though. Am I the only one still posting here?

Comment

People generally only post in the threads if they're actively watching. If you're the only one watching this season, you might be the only one to post.

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Well thanks for replying, Seaboe, are you watching too ?

I'm in a marathon. Started Season 1 two weeks ago

Must have been in a bad mood when I saw this one. I made it sound like I don't enjoy watching ...

Comment

I like this episode because it gives us more insight into Teal'c and his life before he switched sides.

This has several good moments between the team, and it's always nice to see Bra'tac.

There's really nothing more to say about it. It's a solid episode.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Nice to have a Teal'c episode. What I really want is a Teal'c Carter buddy episode. I think I like the snow scenes the best.

Comment

One thing I noticed in this episode, in S4 in The Light, I think Teal'c states he is 101 years old (going on 102). And in this episode Bra'tac states himself to be 134/135, do you think they should have made him a bit older going off the appearances of both of them?

Anyway lol.

I personally loved this episode. The chemistry between Teal'c and Bra'tac is always good when on show for a lot of the episode, either in direct or none direct conversation. The flashbacks were good...possibly could have had a bit more of the more evil deeds that were forced upon him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
                                The Cactus Looks Back: Threshold

I very much enjoyed this episode. The shooting, writing, and acting were all superb. I especially loved the flashbacks. The "snowy hilltop" scenes felt similar to the opening of Gladiator. At first viewing, I might have considered it my new favourite episode-- though in the time since, it has faded slightly from such high standing.

It provokes some quandaries in the Teal'c chronology, however, in my opinion.

In The Light (4.18), we discover that Teal'c is nearly 102. When I heard this, my jaw hit the floor. I continue to see no reason to have made this distinction. According to the Gateworld synopsis, the episode was penned by James Phillips-- I am not familiar with him, nor am I aware of any other episodes he's written. But the decision to reveal Teal'c's age was surely collaborative. If the creative staff had wanted to reveal his age, why didn't they do it sooner? Doing it at this point-- and having it be such a high number-- only makes it more difficult to relate to Teal'c, in my mind. I'd always thought of him as being, say, forty to seventy; more of a peer to O'neill. Now he's Stargate's Spock, and we can't know what to expect from him maturity-wise without knowing a lot more about the culture of Chu'lak/the Jaffa.

In Threshold, Bra'tac's age is revealed as 137. He also expects to die when his symbiote matures, in two years. (Quick note: I've only just started watching season six for the first time. No spoilers, please!) This would put him at approximately 140, and from his conversation with Carter, we gather that most Jaffa would be rejected if they attempted to take on a new larval Goa'uld at this age. So, there it is: if it was not spelled out in earlier episodes, we can now be fairly certain that the average natural Jaffa life expectancy is nearly double that of humans. This is where Teal'c's age starts to make a little sense. With 35-40 years left to live, his natural life would end at about the same time as the rest of the team's. Teal'c won't be appearing in Stargate: The Next Generation one-hundred years in the future. ;P

But here's my problem with the whole thing: In a flashback, Drey'auc announces that she's pregnant. We can only assume with Rya'c. How old is Rya'c? In Bloodlines (1.11), Rya'c is about to be implanted with his first larval symbiote. I don't own the episode, but I'd guess he's no younger than eight, no older than twelve. The people of Chu'lak are transplanted humans, correct? So Jaffa of Chu'lak age as humans would, prior to implantation.

So, you're telling me that Teal'c was aged 85-90 when he became First Prime to Apophis? Not knowing very much about Jaffa culture, I admit that it's possible. But Christopher Judge was playing Teal'c in the flashbacks between twenty and thirty in terms of maturity, I thought-- thirty-five at most. So, 40-70 as a Jaffa assuming that implantation halves mental development, along with aging. And that can't be, can it? Either way, it's ludicrous to think that Teal'c was running around like this until the age of 85-90; and then, within 10-15 years, he became the reserved, wise, and battle-hardened Teal'c that we all know. If Rules of Engagement (3.09) was any indication, the Goa'uld start Jaffa young-- as in, age-twenty young. (And I don't believe we assume that implantation slows maturation into adult form, do we?) I can believe that Teal'c was a foot soldier for 60+ years. It doesn't seem possible, but it's plausible. But were that the case, there's no way that his character would have been as youthful as he appeared in Threshold.

Very old post to reply to...lol.

If I remember rightly, the 'Jaffa' in Rules Of Engagement, were not actually Jaffa, I'm sure Teal'c or one of the others mentioned that they didn't have Symbiote pouches, and that humans not from earth, was often used as 'Fodder' during battle.

Comment

Working...
                                X