No announcement yet.

Window of Opportunity (406)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my guess is that the Time loop would knock the current connection off.
    Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
      I do see it that way. This was just something else he could get away with without having to deal with anything afterwards. No ship about it in my view.
      Exactly, who wouldn't have done that in his situation?

Comment

Heck, there are a number of people i might have kissed just before the next cycle just to see the look on their faces

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          Heck, there are a number of people i might have kissed just before the next cycle just to see the look on their faces

lol True. I think doing this to anyone would make them go crazy! lol
          __

__

Comment

This is my all-time favorite episode..... Did anyone else notice that the book "Latin for the Novice" was written by J. Malozzi, PhD.? He's one of he supervising producers on the series. It's great that they have such a sense of humor about themselves.
            Originally posted by LoneStar1836
            I love this episode, but here are a few random thoughts that I have about it. If this was discussed on the old forum, then I’m sorry for the repetition, but I only stumbled across the old forum about a month before it moved.

I have always wondered if the language written on the chalkboards that Daniel, Jack, and Teal’c were translating was already written out before the time loop or did Daniel have to redo it every loop? I’d find that very time consuming if it had to be redone every loop. I guess Daniel could have already been working on it using the info SG-15 brought back, but then why would he be taking rubbings of the writing in the opening sequence if SG-15 had documented the site. (Daniel said they took photos that were somewhat equivalent to 400 pages of alien text.) If it had been written out before the loop started, don’t you think Daniel would have already been working on the translation? He lives to translate stuff so I could see him forgoing sleep to work on that especially since it was Ancient (or a variation of). I know I’m being a little nitpicky, but it makes me wonder.

I’ve also wondered why do Jack and Teal’c have to actually learn Latin. I mean Daniel already knows how to speak/translate Latin, I assume. He corrected Malaki on the planet when reading a panel on the pedestal. The writing on the chalkboard was not Latin, but when spoken it is similar to Latin. Therefore, couldn’t Daniel just read it to himself and translate as he went. I guess he could have been using Jack and Teal’c to look up Latin words for clarification to save him some time. Jack and Teal’c couldn’t be helping because they can’t read Ancient (unless Daniel has an Ancient to Latin to English reference book), thus they can’t speak it as Latin, so how are they going to know what word to look up in Latin For the Novice. My rambling probably makes no sense. So basically what I’m saying is I don’t see why Daniel needs Jack and Teal’c help. All Daniel needs to do is work on translating the writing to English, and then an hour or so before the loop is to restart, Jack and Teal’c show up and memorize what Daniel has translated so far. Then when the next loop starts, and they’ve convinced Daniel to work on translating, Jack and T just tell Daniel what they know so far, and Daniel can pick up and go from there. I know it's just a TV show and this was part of the plot, but logically why would Daniel need their help because wouldn't they just slow him down?

Here’s another one for you. I saw this particular one mentioned on someone’s nitpick site. On this thread, the question has been asked what if Jack or Teal’c die, will they come back the next loop? This other site raises the question and suggests that the answer may have already been given with Daniel being the proof. It posed the possibility that maybe Daniel died the first time when Malaki shot him (though Carter didn’t look overly concerned when she checked on him, IMO). Their theory was based on dialogue at the end of the episode.

Daniel: “Malaki, the device doesn’t work.”

Daniel (cont’d): “It never did.”

Malaki: “It never did? You’re living proof.”

Is Malaki suggesting he killed Daniel when he shot him? I just ran across the site that suggested this yesterday and had never myself considered that maybe Daniel died. How many times does that make? Since the episode tips its hat to “Groundhog Day” (Btw I love that movie. “Don’t drive angry." ), I have always figured anyone who died within the loop would return when it was reset, even Jack and Teal’c. Who knows how many times Bill Murray killed himself in the movie.

Okay last one. Did Jack and Teal’c require any sleep during all that looping? I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere. I guess since time resets itself, then their bodies reset themselves, too, but wouldn’t that feel weird to never sleep for over three months or more. I mean Jack and Teal’c would be consciously aware of that fact.

Oh and where did they get the golf clubs and clothes, whose bicycle is that, where is that potter’s wheel, … I could go on and on, but I’ve got four hours of driving ahead of me tomorrow and I guess I need to go to sleep.

I love this episode for its infinite rewatchability. (Is that a word?) If forced to pick one episode as my favorite of the series, it would have to be this one, but I hate to do that because I like so many others, each for different reasons.

(P.S. Well, seeing that I can't access the forum now (at 3:22 am CST, July 1) to post this, I guess I'll just have to e-mail it to myself and post it when I get back to Texas tomorrow. Thank goodness I wrote this on MS Word first. I've typed other posts in the reply box and go to post and it erases what I wrote b/c it logged me out or it can't access the site anymore and I can't remember what I wrote. I try not to make that mistake again if I'm going to write anything of length.)

Just remembered I never got around to posting this.
            Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Ali_gater
              This is my all-time favorite episode..... Did anyone else notice that the book "Latin for the Novice" was written by J. Malozzi, PhD.? He's one of he supervising producers on the series. It's great that they have such a sense of humor about themselves.

I too noticed this. They generally do this for the humour, and generally it's RDA that inspires it. Apparently, he 'demands' it as a producer.
              __

__

Comment

This one is my favourite episode too - cracks me up every time.
                The one thing I dont get though is why only Jack and Teal'c are effected (sorry if this has been explained already in the thread - didnt have time to read the whole thing! )

Comment

Because Jack and Teal'c and Malachai were the only ones near the "Altar" when the Time Loop beam struck it, only they were able to keep a conscious memory of what was happening where everyone else had experience a real-time time loop.

Comment

aha of course thank you

Comment

Right. Window of Opportunity. I don't know if there is anything I can say that hasn't been said already.

Humour, humour, humour, side of drama.

But here's something I don't think have been mentioned: I love that opening shot! With the yellow/red/orange sky and the tornadoes/twisters in the background. So beautiful. Sometimes I freeze-frame it and just sit and stare at that shot in awe.

Other than that, sooo many things to laugh at.

Love the part where Teal'c starts to point out to O'Neill that his plan to record the loop on tape would be unsuccessful and Jack quickly turns, points at him and warningly says:
                      Jack: "Careful! ... Be careful."

And the part right after that when Daniel tells them that they have to help him out with the translating and Jack asks "how hard can it be?", to which Daniel replies by turning the paper the right way.
                      Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

I love this episode. It's not my fave but it's so hilarious! I can't get enough of the Kiss scene and the goofy smile Jack has afterwards.
                        And Teal'c and Jack juggling lol!

the planet was beautiful too bad it was sooo obvious that it was a painting. The clouds were totally stationnary. I like the shot from the side where you see the Kawoosh from the left of the gate. That was cool.
                        May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Well the problem with trying to get a sky that red would require mostly Los Angeles having to uncap all its smoke towers to release all the chemicals into the air that would mix to give it that red look. I like the fact that with the kawoosh that it 2d at all times, regardless of the angle. (which is why it is so hard to create a 3d computer animation of it that looks good)

Comment

This is my favoret episode out of all the Stargate episode's. And if anyone doesn't agree with me, your in trouble. (Just kidding. Promise)
                            *Rachel Luttrel* "Where are the bathrooms on Atlantis?" Now what the heck kinda question is that?

Comment

Actually I wonder what would have happend if an SG Team left before the loop was started to a planet outside the loop When the loop started and it reset and they leave again during the loop and couldnt get a lock when at that point 2 sets of the sg team exist and then once the loop ended would one the sg teams dissappear?

Comment

Originally posted by GuardianKentel
                                Actually I wonder what would have happend if an SG Team left before the loop was started to a planet outside the loop When the loop started and it reset and they leave again during the loop and couldnt get a lock when at that point 2 sets of the sg team exist and then once the loop ended would one the sg teams dissappear?
                                don't think that this could happen
                                Lord Zedd

Comment

Working...
                                X